US Visa advice for an African burner

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

US Visa advice for an African burner

Postby colinski » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 pm

Hey everyone

So, I'm planning on coming up to Burning Man next year from South Africa. Have any international burners had any problems getting a visa for the festival? Anyone have any advice?

Any advice on this would be muchly appreciated

Much love, and (hopefully) see you on the playa next year
colinski

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:24 pm

I imagine that a simple entry/vacation visa is all that's needed.
U.S. State Department wrote:Pleasure, Tourism, Medical Treatment - Visitor Visas (B-2) - As examples, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

More here.
Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

* The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
* That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
* Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
* Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
* That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

Yes, we are a little paranoid about people trying to emigrate. That's where you might run into trouble. And don't carry any drugs in, either. I hope that's self-evident, but there are some idiots on this board.
And I may be one of them. I've always traveled on a u.s. passport and in europe, so it's been pretty pro-forma. After reading the expectations that they have of you, I understand why you asked.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby phil » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:38 pm

phil

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:57 pm

When applying for your visa, it might be best not to mention that you're going to Burning Man...folks who have not been might not understand...especially if they have some kind of preconceived notion of what it's all about. Hey, you're just a tourist visiting the US...who cares where you end up?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:02 pm

Reno has Hot August Nights, a car and BBQ festival at the same time as Burning Man. People understand food and hot rods!
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Boijoy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:11 pm

yup. I miss the Rib Cookoff every year. DAMN IT !!!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Oldguy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 pm

I hear that Nigeria has lenient travel restrictions...
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby Sham » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:26 pm

Oldguy wrote:I hear that Nigeria has lenient travel restrictions...

You probably could hide most of the camping gear and supplies in your underwear and no one would find it. The TSA would probably be distracted strip searching some elderly woman with a wheelchair and an oxygen tank!

Dimwits!
Sham

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 am

Now be nice, guys!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Edana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm a South African expat living in the US. I'll give the following tips based on family members attempting to get visas to come visit me:

Make sure you have evidence of a "reason to return" to SA. A letter from your job, proof that you have accounts or credit cards that you are paying, proof of a car or car loan, rental agreement/home loan info etc.

Be honest (but not too honest) about where you'll be - say something along the lines of I'm going camping, or I'm going to a festival.

If at all possible, have proof that you have a personal relationship with someone in South Africa who is not travelling with you - a fiancee, girlfriend, child etc. Unfortunately having just your parents there is not considered enough of reason to return by some of the people working in the Embassy in Pretoria.

Have proof that you have enough money for your trip.

And good luck!
Edana

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Shambala wrote:
Oldguy wrote:I hear that Nigeria has lenient travel restrictions...

You probably could hide most of the camping gear and supplies in your underwear and no one would find it. The TSA would probably be distracted strip searching some elderly woman with a wheelchair and an oxygen tank!

Dimwits!

LOL did you hear the one about a 2 year old getting a pat-down because the baby's name was the same as someone on the no-fly list. (No really!)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lambert13 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:48 am

jkisha wrote:.

LOL did you hear the one about a 2 year old getting a pat-down because the baby's name was the same as someone on the no-fly list. (No really!)

JK

Gotta watch those little bastards. I don't trust toddlers as far as I can throw em. Well, that's pretty far, so probably considerably less than I can throw them.

It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Return to Transportation