Fork Lift

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Fork Lift

Postby Bluemandrew » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 am

Has anyone here ever rented a fork lift for the burn? How much did it cost you?

Does anyone have a good contact for equipment rental for the Burn? I need to get some pricing at this point to do some budgeting.
Bluemandrew
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Postby Sham » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:27 am

There are lots of large fork lifts on the premises. I think if you contact the DPW they could get you the names of contractors already there and you could possibly rent a bit of their time. I wish I knew more, but that may be a good start for you.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 7066
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:07 am

The forklifts ARE DPW.
you can schedule thier usage if you need one for whatever.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:18 am

Normally a case of beer will work, to hire an operator on the playa. Its been a few years, but I think its about $100 per day to rent...not including trailer. Plus, you'd need to rent one with pneumatic tires, which tend to be larger lift trucks. How much material do you need to move?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bluemandrew » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:55 am

TomServo wrote:Normally a case of beer will work, to hire an operator on the playa. Its been a few years, but I think its about $100 per day to rent...not including trailer. Plus, you'd need to rent one with pneumatic tires, which tend to be larger lift trucks. How much material do you need to move?


I haven't figured out exactly how much I'll need to move yet, but it could be at least a whole day's worth of work.

I'll likely be moving anywhere from 16 to 26 concrete blocks, 4 foot cubes I think, possibly a bit bigger, but I hope not since I'm coming from NH
Bluemandrew
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:25 am

Bluemandrew wrote:
TomServo wrote:Normally a case of beer will work, to hire an operator on the playa. Its been a few years, but I think its about $100 per day to rent...not including trailer. Plus, you'd need to rent one with pneumatic tires, which tend to be larger lift trucks. How much material do you need to move?


I haven't figured out exactly how much I'll need to move yet, but it could be at least a whole day's worth of work.

I'll likely be moving anywhere from 16 to 26 concrete blocks, 4 foot cubes I think, possibly a bit bigger, but I hope not since I'm coming from NH


The DPW definitely has what you need. They have a few H350's that, can move anything up to 35,000lbs. Id get in touch with them. Don't know any drivers in NH, but have a few local friends with flat bed trailers...I'm assuming the concrete blocks will be coming from NH as well?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bluemandrew » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:58 am

TomServo wrote:The DPW definitely has what you need. They have a few H350's that, can move anything up to 35,000lbs. Id get in touch with them. Don't know any drivers in NH, but have a few local friends with flat bed trailers...I'm assuming the concrete blocks will be coming from NH as well?


Actually transport was the next item on my list to budget out. I think I'll have to have an entire flatbed for the installation. It'll be coming from NH or CT depending on where I am living at the time.

The other thing on my list to do next is find a bulk gas provider who can deliver a bunch of Hydrogen to the Playa
Bluemandrew
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Postby Dustdevil » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:28 pm

There are other factors besides the lifting ability to consider with using hydrogen, primarily the low humidity conditions on the Playa and the possibility of static discharge when filling your ballons. I will look into this further and contact you off list.

jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: West Oakland
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:
TomServo wrote:The DPW definitely has what you need. They have a few H350's that, can move anything up to 35,000lbs. Id get in touch with them. Don't know any drivers in NH, but have a few local friends with flat bed trailers...I'm assuming the concrete blocks will be coming from NH as well?


Actually transport was the next item on my list to budget out. I think I'll have to have an entire flatbed for the installation. It'll be coming from NH or CT depending on where I am living at the time.

The other thing on my list to do next is find a bulk gas provider who can deliver a bunch of Hydrogen to the Playa


Are they plain blocks, or is their some art involved? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to have them formed in californa or nevada. Fuel and permits are cost factors...and hauling cross country requires permits from each state. Ill check with my buddies to see what they have to say.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Bluemandrew » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:13 pm

I've considered having them formed out there, they'll be anchor points for a structure that's still in the process of being designed. So they may not end up necessary in the long run. I'll know better in the next couple of weeks


If you're Tom Servo, who was making fun of "Space Mutiny" while I watched it last night?
Bluemandrew
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:55 pm

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:I've considered having them formed out there, they'll be anchor points for a structure that's still in the process of being designed. So they may not end up necessary in the long run. I'll know better in the next couple of weeks


If you're Tom Servo, who was making fun of "Space Mutiny" while I watched it last night?


That would be me.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:03 pm

So, I'm a little curious about this. DPW helps set up random shit? The llc provided infrastructure, yeah, of course. Placed art? I can see that. Could I get them to set up part of our camp? Or our big sign? (It's not that we have trouble, I'm just trying to understand how it works.)
They can't help with everything, so where do they draw the line? No booze? No note from Crimson (or appropriate llc member)? You just happened to get here first?

It probably comes in under the heading of "Fishy doesn't need to know." Nonetheless, I find it interesting.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dustdevil » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:41 pm

The original poster is doing the background work for an art grant proposal for 2010. I have a lot of respect for someone who plans this far in advance and tries to cover all the bases. The LLC has a great support system for funded art.

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil
 
Posts: 847
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: West Oakland
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Okay, makes sense. Tahnk you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri


Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 40001
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, I'm a little curious about this. DPW helps set up random shit? The llc provided infrastructure, yeah, of course. Placed art? I can see that. Could I get them to set up part of our camp? Or our big sign? (It's not that we have trouble, I'm just trying to understand how it works.)
They can't help with everything, so where do they draw the line? No booze? No note from Crimson (or appropriate llc member)? You just happened to get here first?

It probably comes in under the heading of "Fishy doesn't need to know." Nonetheless, I find it interesting.


If you ask nicely, which sometimes involve booze, they will help you out. They have the equiptment, used in building the city, which includes the art. It might not be a bad idea to volunteer at the ranch, just so you get a taste of what they do. I've nothing but respect, for the DPW. What I got at the ranch, was a level of seriousness and drunkeness, that's beyond description.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:01 pm

Bluemandrew wrote:
TomServo wrote:Normally a case of beer will work, to hire an operator on the playa. Its been a few years, but I think its about $100 per day to rent...not including trailer. Plus, you'd need to rent one with pneumatic tires, which tend to be larger lift trucks. How much material do you need to move?


I haven't figured out exactly how much I'll need to move yet, but it could be at least a whole day's worth of work.

I'll likely be moving anywhere from 16 to 26 concrete blocks, 4 foot cubes I think, possibly a bit bigger, but I hope not since I'm coming from NH


Concrete is about 151 pounds a cubic foot. (4x4x4)(151) is 9,600 pounds. So a little shop type fork wont do the job as well. youll need a good sized one. Your in luck though, for a hundred in Booze I guarantee DPW will help you out.

Not sure if you noticed, but 26 cubes that size will weigh 249,600 pounds. that is 4 tractor trailers worth of Concrete block at 60,000#+ a load. What the hell are you building?

I checked our forwarders rates just this AM - your looking at 1.91 a mile.
2937 miles (mapquest NH to Gerlach Nevada)
2937 miles x 4 tractors x 1.91$ a mile 22,438.68$
One other note - if your just using these as ballast - you can rent blocks cheap from paving companies, construction companies, etc...

If not - you can form them in Nevada and save at least 18K in transport costs and do it yourself in Nevada. Drop me a PM, We have tractors in Nevada and land about 6 miles from a concrete plant.
User avatar
mdmf007
Moderator
 
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: my computer
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:31 pm

And straight across the way from the whore houses, too......how convenient.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Stickygreen » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:27 pm

Not everybody out there relies on the DPW to "help" them out with there projects, the camp I was at last year had there own forklift, scissor, and snorkel, they all came from United rentals I believe.
)'(
User avatar
Stickygreen
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: Vancouver

Postby TomServo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Stickygreen wrote:Not everybody out there relies on the DPW to "help" them out with there projects, the camp I was at last year had there own forklift, scissor, and snorkel, they all came from United rentals I believe.


if the DPWs willing to offer their machines for heavy lifting, that's less machinery on the playa. Plus, I can only imagine the problems created by people using machines they're not certified for operating.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:14 pm

Mdm, that seems like a really good price.
Estimates of cost alone are running higher than that for me.
I have to move my storage at least 80 miles.
That is starting to look like a substantial cost for a short trip.

I was trying to setup a trailer to b man, but costs look too high so far.
We would have to be fully loaded.
The driver is willing to attend and not charge for being off the road.
I'm not sure he was even quoting me any labor charge at all.
Fees and state stuff was a big part though.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby TomServo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:38 pm

gyre wrote:Mdm, that seems like a really good price.
Estimates of cost alone are running higher than that for me.
I have to move my storage at least 80 miles.
That is starting to look like a substantial cost for a short trip.

I was trying to setup a trailer to b man, but costs look too high so far.
We would have to be fully loaded.
The driver is willing to attend and not charge for being off the road.
I'm not sure he was even quoting me any labor charge at all.
Fees and state stuff was a big part though.


If someone could rent a tractor/trailer, Id drive it for free..almost.. But, if I understand correctly, companies that rent combos only do so, to companies with a fleet...maybe my dispatcher is full of shit, but its hard to get one regardless. My company won't let me use my own tractor, unless they make a set amount of money per day. Owner ops I know would be willing to haul, but is the issue of a week without work. If fuel was payed to, from and back again, they might go for it. Figure a tractor gets about 5-6 miles per gallon..full tank is 200 gallons.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I was going to use my trailer.
They'll all be full by next year.

He was going to attend, so no issue there.
Since he doesn't usually go through these states, we would have to buy permits just for this trip, depending on the load.
I would have no problem getting a trailer.
Tractor's a different thing, if someone doesn't have one.

I wish you were in the area.
And I wish it wasn't 2200 miles each way for me too.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15465
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby TomServo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:43 pm

Trailers are no problem. My company doesn't keep track of them. One could go missing for years....one did.....and they wouldn't know. Tractors are another story. Every tractor needs to be driving. I wonder if BM has ever considered owning a few tractors? I've seen one or two on the ranch, but they didn't look operational.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:And straight across the way from the whore houses, too......how convenient.


Well when in Rome! (or Winnemucca).

Anyone with a credit card / and CDL can rent a tractor from Penske or Hertz. You can buy their insurance or get your own (cheaper on your own)

its actually pretty reasonable. around 750.00 a week for a day cab Freightliner 80K GVW, sliding 5th wheel, 400HP Cat. If you dont know what that means - you dont need to rent one.

I believe it about trailers being untracked. There was a 40 footer dropped near our shop in the whore house parking lot and it sat there for at least 8 months before anyone looked into it. Turns out it was dropped for another driver, but he was diverted to another load enroute.
User avatar
mdmf007
Moderator
 
Posts: 5248
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: my computer
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby ygmir » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:And straight across the way from the whore houses, too......how convenient.


Well when in Rome! (or Winnemucca).

Anyone with a credit card / and CDL can rent a tractor from Penske or Hertz. You can buy their insurance or get your own (cheaper on your own)

its actually pretty reasonable. around 750.00 a week for a day cab Freightliner 80K GVW, sliding 5th wheel, 400HP Cat. If you dont know what that means - you dont need to rent one.

I believe it about trailers being untracked. There was a 40 footer dropped near our shop in the whore house parking lot and it sat there for at least 8 months before anyone looked into it. Turns out it was dropped for another driver, but he was diverted to another load enroute.


hopefully it wasn't loaded with cheese and sardines........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 27671
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:51 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:And straight across the way from the whore houses, too......how convenient.


Well when in Rome! (or Winnemucca).

Anyone with a credit card / and CDL can rent a tractor from Penske or Hertz. You can buy their insurance or get your own (cheaper on your own)

its actually pretty reasonable. around 750.00 a week for a day cab Freightliner 80K GVW, sliding 5th wheel, 400HP Cat. If you dont know what that means - you dont need to rent one.

I believe it about trailers being untracked. There was a 40 footer dropped near our shop in the whore house parking lot and it sat there for at least 8 months before anyone looked into it. Turns out it was dropped for another driver, but he was diverted to another load enroute.


I've got a CDL but no credit card...personal choice. What are my options? What is insurance for a dry van or flatbed, non-hazmat?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6153
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond


Return to Transportation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest