Longboarding to Burning Man from Reno (bad idea, how else?)

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Longboarding to BM, good idea or not?

Absolutely not
63%
It could work, plenty could go wrong.
26%
Go for it!
11%

Total votes : 19

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 am

The rideshare boards haven't geared up yet, they will. The Share Resources board becomes an unofficial ride board in summer.

I don't know how many people/vehicles we'll have this year yet. Normally we're packed to the gills. If it looks like we'll have an outbound seat Monday morning, I'll let you know. I won't know for quite a while yet. Depends on whether our newb can get a ticket, and if we're taking two vehicles or one, and how much crap we haul out there. And if we're feeling helpful, because some years being helpful isn't in the cards. Some years it is.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:05 am

C.f.M. wrote:
AntiM wrote:
peachandpapa wrote:I have flown into Reno twice and both times hooked-up with people renting a car/SUV and got a ride. There is also a bus that leaves once or twice a day from the airport to the Playa. Reno airport is very Burner friendly!

That bus requires reserving a spot, and the last I heard it has to pick up elsewhere. Something to do with airport licensing and permits?

Look up the BioBus. There is NOT a bus you can just get on and go to the playa!!!

I was wondering - people are telling me just to get to the airport and hitch a ride, but I am SO uncomfortable with that. So far, all the people I know I could ride back and forth with are leaving on Sunday, and I do not want to miss Sunday night.

Are you saying that you have tickets?
That's a horse of a different color!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am

Ah, you didn't hear, yesterday? Yes, some insanely wonderful folk - Retrofrolic, to be exact - just up and gifted me one.

!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm kinda panicking.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am

If you need a ride, you will have one.
Ugly Dougly

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:If you need a ride, you will have one.

Yeah yeah yeah, the playa provides, hippie. ;)
C.f.M.

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:46 am

:D
Don't worry about getting a ride from BRC back to Reno. You can arrange that easily enough while you are there.

I recommend you stay until Tuesday, to avoid the Monday Traffic Jam. Technically, you are supposed to leave on Monday, but I am quite sure this is not being enforced until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest. It is simply impossible for 45.000 people to get out a one-lane driveway in a single day.

And if you have a flight booked, allow many extra hours to get to the airport. Looking on a map, you might think it looks like just a two-to-three hour drive. Not so in reality -- specially on Monday.

So concentrate on getting there. I'm thinking you could simply walk thru the airplane before landing, and ask everyone-who-is-not-wearing-a-business-suit if they are going to Burning Man. You will probably find someone who is renting a car, or someone who will split a taxi ride with you to one of the ride-share spots mentioned earlier.

Oh, and to be sure: The road from Reno to BRC is largely UP-HILL -- majorly up-hill.
:D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Yes, I am wanting to leave Tuesday (wouldn't book a flight for sooner than mid-Wednesday).

Not wanting to be unself-reliant and just show up. And hope that not only do I find a ride, but I find a ride that is stopping to get food and water. And would have room for mine. I'm too old for that shit.

In addition to hoping and praying however I figure out to get my stuff there gets there, I find it, and it makes it back home.

I'm also open to driving out there and/or back, but so far all I've found is the crew I rode with last year, and do not want.

Gah. Money makes life so much fucking easier.
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 pm

C.f.M., I don't know what my load is going to look like, or yours for that matter, but I (or any of your other fans) will make sure you don't miss the Burn. That's for sure.
Ugly Dougly

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Well thank you, that is mighty kind of you. I'll look for the limo driver with the CFM sign. 8)

We'll see what happens...!
C.f.M.

Previous

Return to Transportation