Electric Bicycle?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:37 pm

We in Oregon pride ourselves on integrity and world changing. My history of notes on this board stand for themselves. Just look at my posting history.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:25 pm

some seeing eye wrote:We in Oregon pride ourselves on integrity and world changing. My history of notes on this board stand for themselves. Just look at my posting history.

It stands as stated " go fuck yourself"

Do not try to put atered ability people in one of your boxes..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 pm

/
unjonharley

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:20 pm

Speaking as a currently nearly able-bodied person

I want to say that the biggest barriers are in your mind.

In other words:

unjonharley wrote: "go fuck yourself"

cause it sounds like you need to get laid.
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Elorrum » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:34 pm

er about the flat and level and easy to get around bit. anyone remember riding a bike on playa in 2008? flat and level, and about 6 inches deep in dust. I had a bike, and left it in camp. I walked everywhere, and didn't get as far as I'd have liked in the time I had. Motors are pretty neat, helpful for some who really need them, fun for those who like to play with them. ( a side note shout out to TRIKES for being righteous modes of playa wheeled transport.)
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Elorrum wrote:er about the flat and level and easy to get around bit. anyone remember riding a bike on playa in 2008? flat and level, and about 6 inches deep in dust. I had a bike, and left it in camp. I walked everywhere, and didn't get as far as I'd have liked in the time I had. Motors are pretty neat, helpful for some who really need them, fun for those who like to play with them. ( a side note shout out to TRIKES for being righteous modes of playa wheeled transport.)

You get an Amen for the trikes.. Rode trike for eight burns.. Tryed gas motor last year.. Going for a hexcycle to tour the playa with others. Use a electric bike and personal tranprter around town.. Am planing to bring the electric assist bike to this years burn.. Brought the transporter one year.. It became a pain in the ass to recharge.. The clean up after was bad.. Ending striping it to the frame and repainting.. The dust was hard on the pot metal also..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm

some seeing eye wrote:We in Oregon pride ourselves on integrity and world changing. My history of notes on this board stand for themselves. Just look at my posting history.

You know, since Hotwheelz stopped attending in what, 07? 08? I'm not going to take you seriously.
This is in no way reflective of the fine work done by Wheelchair Camp (as I believe the successor camp is called).
Not only is thread drift an eplaya reality, but differing populations can have overlapping interests, and cross-fertilization is quite fertile, indeed.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 am

Worked with Dale on the wheel chairs and art cars in 2007 in his quonset hut shop. I also know quite a bit about electricity. Great experiences with that camp and the people involved. Easily one of my peak experiences there.

However you are correct that I have strong bias against 1-2 person powered vehicles on the Playa, and the carbon footprint of the event.
some seeing eye

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:56 am

I burn 250 gallons of gas getting there, if I drive something small and efficient.
I don't know how many thousands of pounds of wood, propane and oxidant I have helped along out there.

I would cheerfully burn soft coal out there if it helped me not waste the fuel burned getting there.

Burningman was traditionally an event with transportation.
If it is going to be a pedestrian event, it needs a shape that works for that, and not one that hinders it.

gyre

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 am

some seeing eye wrote:Worked with Dale on the wheel chairs and art cars in 2007 in his quonset hut shop. I also know quite a bit about electricity. Great experiences with that camp and the people involved. Easily one of my peak experiences there.

However you are correct that I have strong bias against 1-2 person powered vehicles on the Playa, and the carbon footprint of the event.

So you think that if I'm able to build my own rides I should take up my bed and walk ?? Or is there some other reason you want to tell altered ability people to ride in the back of the bus.. Your "bias" statements are putting you on some very thin ice..

Even a man with a blown out knee has a right to mobility "under the law"
unjonharley

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:27 am

My comments and actions in the real world have been clear. I have worked on and support powered mobility for those with a medical need, to carry 1, 2 or more people. My personal observation and Dale's is that 2 to a few friends, with the disabled person driving, is a better experience than solo. However I don't have a problem with solo powered mobility for medical reasons. My posts have been consistent on that since I joined this board.

If some want to twist what I have said into a personal attack on themselves, I cannot be responsible for that.
some seeing eye

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:20 am

"QUOTE"
some seeing eye wrote:As anyone knows BM is flat and level, easy to get around by people power.

Let's divide responses between disabled individuals and BM tech as identity individuals. Disabled people might connect with the wheelchair camp, formerly Hot Wheelz, on the center camp ring.

Others can carry on in this thread as they like.
"QUOTE"

DO NOT try to tell me I must go to a disable thread (ride in the back of the bus)
It stands as stated "go fuck yourself"
unjonharley

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Actually I think it's admirable that someone like you who has a medical need for mobility assistance is demonstrating radical self reliance by building it themselves. Very cool.

What I meant is that I'm not interested in assisting people without a medical need with advice on building a 1-2 person powered vehicle just to show off. A few years ago I saw a 2 person art car driven by a wealthy Bay Area exec carrying he and his beautiful wife that would fall into that category.
some seeing eye

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:51 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Actually I think it's admirable that someone like you who has a medical need for mobility assistance is demonstrating radical self reliance by building it themselves. Very cool.

What I meant is that I'm not interested in assisting people without a medical need with advice on building a 1-2 person powered vehicle just to show off. A few years ago I saw a 2 person art car driven by a wealthy Bay Area exec carrying he and his beautiful wife that would fall into that category.

Electric bikes and trikes are allowed. A bike or a trike may carry only one person. This is a thread titled Electric Bicycle? The answer briefly is "Yes." You may think the question mark is about whether they are o.k. in a more philosophical sense, whether they are deserved and by whom. Please consider getting over the fact that there's going to be discussion here about how to build them. People who like and want to make them will be posting here. Be forewarned if it disturbs you so. I personally promise not to try and wheedle any electrical knowledge out of you. I know how much it pisses me off when I advise people how to do things I abhor... dang. I also would love to have 1 percent of the know-how unjonjarley has about building and fixing all things mechanical. He IS fucking admirable, not because his body is challenging him, but just because he is. So buzz off with your patronizing tone.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Actually I think it's admirable that someone like you who has a medical need for mobility assistance is demonstrating radical self reliance by building it themselves. Very cool.

Well okay be that way if you want to be.

But not every mobility impairment is evident to the casual observer.

Not every impairment meets medical criteria for mobility assistance.

Not every mobility-impaired person wishes to be labeled as such.

Some kinds of impairments wax and wane unpredictably, requiring that mobility assistance be available at need.

AND

Some mobility-impaired persons are willing to be friends with the temporarily able-bodied on a basis of equality.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:13 pm

some seeing eye wrote: A few years ago I saw a 2 person art car driven by a wealthy Bay Area exec carrying he and his beautiful wife that would fall into that category.

I for one think Mrs. Harve's (made for her as a gift) cat car is just the cats PJs.. But then you might want to take her up on riding around by herself..

I feel (myself) the DMV has done the right thing for us all..
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:54 am

/

Was working on a bike powered by a belt driven razor scooter rear end..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 am

Do you think it's strong enough?
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:15 am

gyre wrote:Do you think it's strong enough?

It would be a 350watt roller drive
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 am

Let me know how it goes.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:40 pm

unjonharley wrote:

Mines only 200watts and it dragged me and the trike around just fine.

Close to 400 pounds with the big deep cycle battery. (30 mile range)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby capjbadger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:14 am

gyre wrote:Let me know how it goes.

I'm curious to hear how that goes too. I just happen to have two of those scooters that I picked up for nothing off of craigslist a few months ago. The motor controllers are shot but the motors are good.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 am

FIGJAM wrote:
unjonharley wrote:

Mines only 200watts and it dragged me and the trike around just fine.

Close to 400 pounds with the big deep cycle battery. (30 mile range)

That's pretty amazing.
You can't compare motors by wattage alone though, unless they're identical.

My pana is 250 watts, but heavily heat sinked and drives through gears, plus a good design.

There are many motor types and efficiency and rpm range varies a lot.
The motor on the razor? I have is tiny and looks fragile.
I could never figure out how to make it playable, with the tiny rear wheel.

The average bike hubmotor seems to be 450-500 watts.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:33 am

Yea, mines 2200rpm and pulls 15amps on startup.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:54 am

/
The razor scooter I'm parting out is an off road type.

The motor is no lite weight.. Also has a large heat sink..

But some one is offering me money for it and some of my junk.
It could pay for a nice cruiser bike. Then sell the raod bike to buy a front hub motor..

Would like to find a collecter.. I have 1956 Royce Union 5 speed.. The fenders are strong enough to drive a nail.. It lives in my bedroom to keep it safe..

Payed $1000 for the road bike 10 years ago.. Lungs want let me distance anymore..It has been well cared forjust like new.. ready to ride..

Time to shed the old (Burn The Man)and start a new..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 pm

The Royce Union sounds pretty special.
Hubgear?

I don't know the best place to market stuff like that.
I see some in Hemmings.
You might ask on the bike forums.
Some of them have some relevant classifieds.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Would that razor run on the playa?

I was intrigued by the idea of something that compact that works.
gyre

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:32 am

gyre wrote:Would that razor run on the playa?

I was intrigued by the idea of something that compact that works.

Yes. BUT you would break your neck from the steering when hitting soft spots..I have never seen offroading one those things..Figure how long it takes you bones to heal..
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:13 am

Good point.

The one I was given probably wouldn't run three feet unless everything was absolutely perfect.
Figured out how to upsize the front wheel, but couldn't do anything with the rear, due to the motor setup.
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation