any advice on renting a vehicle?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

any advice on renting a vehicle?

Postby hollywallydoodle » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:55 pm

i don't own a car and would like to rent a large car, suv, or van to drive from sf to brc. there will be a total of 2-3 people (including myself). if there are only 2 of us, we will probably sleep on an air mattress in the car rather than in a tent.

1. does anyone know if you can rent from citycarshare or zipcar for a week? i can't find this info on their websites. even though their daily rates are higher, they pay for gas and insurance.
http://www.citycarshare.org/
http://www.zipcar.com/

2. as far as regular rental companies, i've heard about budget, avis, hertz, enterprise, and dollar. do you recommend any others? is there anything i should know about them? somewhere on eplaya i read that avis won't rent to you if you're going to burning man and they track your location.
hollywallydoodle

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:29 am

Hollywally, you may want to try the AVIS dealership in downtown Sacramento. Steve Gatkin is the owner and is very burner-friendly. Thier direct number is (916) 446-2695 and ask for Steve directly. Most other AVIS dealerships (including San Francisco) charge an additional $250 cleaning fee for vehicles going to (or more importantly) suspected going to Burning Man. I was in there on Thursday and they still have vans (up to 12 passanger) available. He will also help you remove the back seats for added storage space. (NOTE: This is strictly against AVIS policy.) That would absolutely be your best bet.

Be sure, when you get to the Playa, to visit us (or me) at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. I'll have a glass waiting for you.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

And also...

Postby flipper » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:16 pm

If you don't have a lot of luggage, it fits your schedule, and you can deal with the chaotic kitchen plans, you can take the Green Tortiose's bus...

Otherwise, you can try to find deals somewhere between kayak.com, fatwallet.com, and the other suspects.

Depending on your schedule if you rent, you can also reduce the cleaning fee by taking the vehicle to be "detailed" before returning it. One rental agent last year even forgave my half-empty tank because it was so clean...

Also, I am a member of flexcar and Chicago's sister to City Carshare. These service bill by the hour and therefore are best used for shorter trips, not a week. You would still be fined as much for dirty car and any other rental will earn you a weekly discount. And generally their sizes stop at minivan.

I would encourage you to join either, just not for this purpose.
Burning Man is about being part of a community. Unfortunately, it's a community of people who can't get up before 1 p.m. - The Onion
flipper

Postby hollywallydoodle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote: Be sure, when you get to the Playa, to visit us (or me) at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro. I'll have a glass waiting for you.

hey dr. pyro and flipper! i appreciated your advice, although i was apparently too spazzy to respond.

i ended up renting this mofo in 2008
from thrifty at the oakland airport for $180. it had BLACK INTERIOR—NO!!! and we were even more ridiculous—each night we would open the doors and crank the tunes & ac while we did our makeup for the evening (we also did this to make sure the car battery wouldn't die and to charge my camera battery). we did get the dust out after 4 HOURS OF SCRUBBING. silly little burgins!

the airport was busy when we returned it, but they did look at the exterior and drive it to another location, while we were standing there, but no extra charges—hooray!

this year i have a car reserved from enterprise, and i WILL protect the interior with towels and blankets and leave THE CAR CLOSED for the week.
hollywallydoodle

Postby CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 pm

Hey Hollywallydoodle,
A few years back I rented a minivan with removable back seats and slept in it rather than pitch a tent. The clean up was pretty easy. I have seen many people cover the seats and floors with plastic wrap of rentals for the week at the event. This greatly helps for clean up afterwards. The a/c is very useful on hot days, just try to keep the doors and windows closed.
CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX

Return to Transportation