2012: The Last Burn

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Postby DoriumLux » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 am

I don't mean to correct you, but that is an excellent documentary on how evil Walmart is, as well as their sleezy business practices. The correct name of the video is "WALMART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICES"!

I stand corrected :) I was a tired girl. Thank you!
DoriumLux

Postby vwthingrcer1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am

all this talk about the end of the world is bullshit. just like the y2k bug. i was at the airport when the clock struck midnight. wow nothing. it is just a way for the media to scare you. the reason the aztec calender probly dosnt go on after that dates is someone was to lazy to predict any more dates, they lived hundreds of years ago, and there probly is a reason they are not around anymore. as for burning man it is simple economics. burning man brings to much money out to gerlach and empire to be shut down. burning man supplies to many jobs abd if it is getting bigger that is more people they put to work in nevada economy. think about it, no one complains out there they are happy most people have to get gas out there and there is a good little restruant out there people want to get a good hot meal, and how many people fly into reno so that makes our economy hear better. my sister was saying the day burning man started she was out at walmart and every check stand was filled with people getting stuff for burning man. so my point is that there is not going to be an end to burning man from an economic point of view. nor the end of the world that is all rumors
may the peace and man live your soul for eternity
vwthingrcer1

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Didnt the aztecs get slaughtered and sick from disease?
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby vwthingrcer1 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:45 pm

ya.. most people who were not around from the dark ages did over in the north and south americas.
may the peace and man live your soul for eternity
vwthingrcer1

Asked a Mexican how to say "water", he told me in

Postby honeyfire » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:00 am

Erm...
Just for the record, the Mayans and the Aztecs were not the same cultures/peoples.
The Aztecs got knocked out of power by Spanish guns and diseases, as did the Maya and various other ethnic groups in Central and South America, but there's still Mayans around today.
Laziness seems like a less likely reason for the halt of the Aztec calendar than does getting one's heart cut out on top of a pyramid and acsending to the sky as a new star...
I'm just sayin'...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!
honeyfire

Postby Boijoy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:03 am

I'm sensing a thread a drift.....
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Elderberry » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:50 am

DoriumLux wrote:
jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:oh....
seems kind of like cheating, though.........
If you mean it was ok, they just "used" it for free.....
I dunno, it's not that I'm especially sympathetic to WM or any others, but.........

That's exactly what they meant; and not being sympathetic is being too polite. That sort of behavior is dishonest at the least; that someone would admit to doing it shows an even greater moral vacuum. I might also wonder what these same people 'borrowed' from empty tents on the playa.

JK

...then I am one immoral punk but I'm definitely a far cry from the crimes of Walmart. I won't say what I've done but yes, they have a fairly relaxed return policy. With the wages that their employees get paid and all the crap they have to take, I'm sure they don't care much either. Well, I haven't met one that has.

Check out the documentary "Walmart: The High Price of the Cost of Living."

Hmmm...that's wonderful logic. First off, Walmart is a business who's legal right in this country is to make a profit. I don't see where they are doing anything illegal or committing any crimes.

That being said...am I understanding your logic here as being two wrongs make a right? :roll:

JK
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby fciron » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm

I cannot think of anything either gullible or self-righteous enough to further this discussion. Really, people, WTF?!

edited to pray for thread drift. Bacon, South American ethnology, anything?
fciron

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:32 pm

(veering back towards topic)

vwthingrcer1 wrote:...the reason the aztec calender probly dosnt go on after that dates is someone was to lazy to predict any more dates...

If I'm remembering correctly it was because the Mayan calendar was cyclic in nature and solstice, 2012 marks the end of one complete cycle.

I may be wrong.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:03 pm

That's my understanding, too, LCN. It's just like the millenium. Okay, we had the millenium bug to blame, but this country has a stupid tendency towards millinarianism that crops up at the drop of a hat. I think it's a twin of that "oh everything was better way back when" that we see so much of. People who just can't understand that we live on a ball that's 4.5 billion years old, going around a sun that's about halfway through its lifecycle. No, we all have to be special and living in the end of days. *yawn*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DoriumLux » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 am

jkisha wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:
jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:oh....
seems kind of like cheating, though.........
If you mean it was ok, they just "used" it for free.....
I dunno, it's not that I'm especially sympathetic to WM or any others, but.........

That's exactly what they meant; and not being sympathetic is being too polite. That sort of behavior is dishonest at the least; that someone would admit to doing it shows an even greater moral vacuum. I might also wonder what these same people 'borrowed' from empty tents on the playa.

JK

...then I am one immoral punk but I'm definitely a far cry from the crimes of Walmart. I won't say what I've done but yes, they have a fairly relaxed return policy. With the wages that their employees get paid and all the crap they have to take, I'm sure they don't care much either. Well, I haven't met one that has.

Check out the documentary "Walmart: The High Price of the Cost of Living."

Hmmm...that's wonderful logic. First off, Walmart is a business who's legal right in this country is to make a profit. I don't see where they are doing anything illegal or committing any crimes.

That being said...am I understanding your logic here as being two wrongs make a right? :roll:

JK

Obviously, you know very little about Walmart. Do some research. I rarely ever step foot in that hell hole. So don't worry your pretty little head. I'm a fair trade, DIY and second hand kind of girl. I prefer not to give my money to most corps and I can count the number of times I've been in Walmart in the last year on my right hand.

They make a profit without any conscience what-so-ever. Many employees are forced to work off the clock, they pay the lowest wages possibles to workers, they put small businesses out of business (imagine the devastating effects in small rural towns), their health plans are too costly for any of the workers and they promote welfare & other government programs to their low paid employees. Now consider this: Walmart is the largest employer in the country next to the federal government. You should look into how much Walmart actually costs taxpayers.

They are also anti-union zealots and will go to great lengths to prevent any of their workers unionizing to improve their situation.

Walmart also claims to donate tons of money to great organizations. They don't mention that managers apply HIGH pressure to their already low income employees to donate a percentage of their paychecks to good causes. The amount that Walmart actually donates is incredibly insignificant in comparison to the "generosity" of it's employeees. Oh yes, and over 85% of Walmart products are made overseas in third world sweatshops. Not so all American, is it?

I could also go on till I'm blue in the face about Walmart. I'll provide you with some helpful and informative links so you don't think I'm just pulling this out my ass. Do your own research and then tell me who is cheating who. Ha, besides I didn't say I specifically did anything. Read it, but judge as you please. It's no skin off my back. I'm guilt free. I don't shop at Walmart. Every time you purchase from corporations like that, it's like casting a vote of support. I prefer to spend my money on companies that are ethical and that I desire to see prosper.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/
http://www.now.org/issues/wfw/wm-facts.html
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores2.html
http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/facts/
DoriumLux

End of History

Postby Max Burke » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:20 am

Yeah, have you ever visited the playa when the BLM permit for BRC is not in action? It's a beautiful place to visit where not too many people are around.. This used to be the feeling of the event back in the 90's. You can also camp outside the festival perimiter and make your own event, ala this one dude who camps outside the border every year and has fun being a survivalist camper-folk. There are tons of places to express yourself and to branch out what the years of practice on the playa had done for you.... Who knows. With whatever transformative process we are all glimpsing and preparing for for the 2012 eschaton mystery, perhaps new interest groups can form even more tribal and modular events on Black Rock Desert which connect to a myriad of tribal modular group events all over the globe.. Weather conditions are just part of the struggle that we help eachother through, which in paraphrased quote is what Larry Harvey views is the current method of community bonding that makes way more sense than the 60's revolution and every reactionary response that follows. It's a conglomeration of all of society and how we can all help eachother and find the true human connection.
Don't let Burning Man consume you.. Don't consume Burning Man.. Take this off the playa and use it to formulate your world in default. We are already seeing blurriness in the line between the two worlds and we should continue to integrate this new theory into our lives and practice what truely is an opening of the gaian soul and spirit as one.
Stay tuned to nature. She is beckoning us.
Max
Max Burke

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am

tribal modular group events

is that New Age Speak for "drug-addled Fuck-Fest"?

and, quite frankly Max, i would never join a tribe that would have me as a member.
fuck you, it's magic

it's not a fucking festival, it's a PROJECT.

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: End of History

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 am

Max Burke wrote:With whatever transformative process we are all glimpsing and preparing for for the 2012 eschaton mystery,
No mystery involved. The world won't end and everybody who thought it would will be reduced to picking another date to focus on. Just like the last time.
And the time before.
And the time before that.
ad infinitum, ad nauseum

(to herself)I'm going to half to listen to this trip for four more years. (goes out to find a spike so she can do some auto-trapanation.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 am

DoriumLux wrote:
Obviously, you know very little about Walmart. Do some research. I rarely ever step foot in that hell hole. So don't worry your pretty little head. I'm a fair trade, DIY and second hand kind of girl. I prefer not to give my money to most corps and I can count the number of times I've been in Walmart in the last year on my right hand.

They make a profit without any conscience what-so-ever. Many employees are forced to work off the clock, they pay the lowest wages possibles to workers, they put small businesses out of business (imagine the devastating effects in small rural towns), their health plans are too costly for any of the workers and they promote welfare & other government programs to their low paid employees. Now consider this: Walmart is the largest employer in the country next to the federal government. You should look into how much Walmart actually costs taxpayers.

They are also anti-union zealots and will go to great lengths to prevent any of their workers unionizing to improve their situation.

Walmart also claims to donate tons of money to great organizations. They don't mention that managers apply HIGH pressure to their already low income employees to donate a percentage of their paychecks to good causes. The amount that Walmart actually donates is incredibly insignificant in comparison to the "generosity" of it's employeees. Oh yes, and over 85% of Walmart products are made overseas in third world sweatshops. Not so all American, is it?

I could also go on till I'm blue in the face about Walmart. I'll provide you with some helpful and informative links so you don't think I'm just pulling this out my ass. Do your own research and then tell me who is cheating who. Ha, besides I didn't say I specifically did anything. Read it, but judge as you please. It's no skin off my back. I'm guilt free. I don't shop at Walmart. Every time you purchase from corporations like that, it's like casting a vote of support. I prefer to spend my money on companies that are ethical and that I desire to see prosper.

I don't care. If their employees feel they are being treated so badly they should quit. Problem solved.

JK
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:58 am

jkisha wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:

I don't care. If their employees feel they are being treated so badly they should quit. Problem solved.

JK

well said, and, wonderfully concise
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Oh, right. Things are always so simple. It's like our health care system. Don't have insurance? Don't get sick! Right? It just sounds like you had nothing to say about it. Cornered is what I would call it.
DoriumLux

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:48 pm

DoriumLux wrote:

Oh, right. Things are always so simple. It's like our health care system. Don't have insurance? Don't get sick! Right? It just sounds like you had nothing to say about it. Cornered is what I would call it.

It is always that simple. If I decide to start a business, I invest my hard earned money, maybe even mortgage my house; and then I decide to hire employees to work for me, it is MY decision as to how much I will pay them, how long they have to work, etc., etc., etc. If they don't like it they don't have to work for me.

The only thing that gets it confused is when the government starts to step in, or worse yet unions, and say that my employees can only work so many hours, I have to pay them a certain 'minimum' amount for the hours they work, etc., etc., etc..

Don't like the way Walmart does it, start your own chain, just like Joe Walton did when his landlord refused to renew his lease because he wanted to take over Joe's store for himself.

Then you can pay your employees whatever you want and see how quickly you'll run yourself into bankruptcy.

Oh...and having health insurance isn't a right. If you can't afford health insurance it is not my fault--unless I decide, as your employer that you are worth it to me and MY business.

Now leave me and my company and Joe Walton's company alone and maybe you'll have more time to start making enough money to start a company of your own, and you can, as I said, run it as you please.

JK
Elderberry

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:36 pm

It is always that simple. If I decide to start a business, I invest my hard earned money, maybe even mortgage my house; and then I decide to hire employees to work for me, it is MY decision as to how much I will pay them, how long they have to work, etc., etc., etc. If they don't like it they don't have to work for me.

The only thing that gets it confused is when the government starts to step in, or worse yet unions, and say that my employees can only work so many hours, I have to pay them a certain 'minimum' amount for the hours they work, etc., etc., etc..

Don't like the way Walmart does it, start your own chain, just like Joe Walton did when his landlord refused to renew his lease because he wanted to take over Joe's store for himself.

Then you can pay your employees whatever you want and see how quickly you'll run yourself into bankruptcy.

Oh...and having health insurance isn't a right. If you can't afford health insurance it is not my fault--unless I decide, as your employer that you are worth it to me and MY business.

Now leave me and my company and Joe Walton's company alone and maybe you'll have more time to start making enough money to start a company of your own, and you can, as I said, run it as you please.

JK

First off, It's SAM WALTON not JOE WALTON. AGAIN, know your facts.

So basically, you don't mind if companies like Walmart cost you money because they don't offer affordable health insurance. You don't mind the fact that Walmart suggests federal aid programs to their employees so that they can dodge the costs of healthcare? Hmm. Oh, and you don't mind that Walmart uses government subsidies to open new stores? Wow! Impressive.

* The average Wal-Mart costs taxpayers an estimated $108,000 a year for its workers’ children who are enrolled in state children’s health insurance programs, according to Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay for Wal-Mart.

* California taxpayers pay $86 million annually for such public programs as health care and subsidized housing that low-wage Wal-Mart workers rely on, according to an August 2004 report from the Institute for Labor and Employment at the University of California, Berkeley.

* A growing list of states—Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Washington, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Connecticut—report Wal-Mart as the #1 beneficiary or among the top corporate beneficiaries of its public health program for children's health care. Currently, 12 states have introduced legislation to require states to disclose which employers are shifting health care costs to taxpayers and another 27 have, or plan to introduce, such legislation. Championed by members of the National Labor Caucus of State Legislators, the legislation is designed to help measure the costs to state health care programs when large and profitable employers such as Wal-Mart skimp on coverage.

* Wal-Mart has a health plan. But because few workers can afford it on the wages Wal-Mart pays, the company instead encourages its workers to apply for public assistance."

I'm a tax payer and I for one care where my money goes and who it supports. You don't believe the government should regulate or interfere with big corps? They should just be allowed to run wild despite how much it costs tax payers? Have you seen our economy lately? Maybe, if we had a little more regulation in some departments we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
DoriumLux

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:45 pm

DoriumLux wrote:

JK

First off, It's SAM WALTON not JOE WALTON. AGAIN, know your facts.

So basically, you don't mind if companies like Walmart cost you money because they don't offer affordable health insurance. You don't mind the fact that Walmart suggests federal aid programs to their employees so that they can dodge the costs of healthcare? Hmm. Oh, and you don't mind that Walmart uses government subsidies to open new stores? Wow! Impressive.

You can go here for a break down of around how much Walmart cost tax payers in each state:
http://wakeupwalmart.com/feature/health ... ap.html#CA

FOR CLICK LAZY:

* The average Wal-Mart costs taxpayers an estimated $108,000 a year for its workers’ children who are enrolled in state children’s health insurance programs, according to Everyday Low Wages: The Hidden Price We All Pay for Wal-Mart.

* California taxpayers pay $86 million annually for such public programs as health care and subsidized housing that low-wage Wal-Mart workers rely on, according to an August 2004 report from the Institute for Labor and Employment at the University of California, Berkeley.

* A growing list of states—Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Washington, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Connecticut—report Wal-Mart as the #1 beneficiary or among the top corporate beneficiaries of its public health program for children's health care. Currently, 12 states have introduced legislation to require states to disclose which employers are shifting health care costs to taxpayers and another 27 have, or plan to introduce, such legislation. Championed by members of the National Labor Caucus of State Legislators, the legislation is designed to help measure the costs to state health care programs when large and profitable employers such as Wal-Mart skimp on coverage.

* Wal-Mart has a health plan. But because few workers can afford it on the wages Wal-Mart pays, the company instead encourages its workers to apply for public assistance."

I'm a tax payer and I for one care where my money goes and who it supports. You don't believe the government should regulate or interfere with big corps? They should just be allowed to run wild despite how much it costs tax payers? Have you seen our economy lately? Maybe, if we had a little more regulation in some departments we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Sam, Joe, Bill, it doesn't matter you got my point.

And I don't care about Walmart; they are not breaking any laws. They are not obligated to provide any more than they are providing. Maybe the government shouldn't be socializing or subsidizing state health care. That would solve that drain on the economy. And when certain states decide to regulate so that it becomes unprofitable for Walmart to operate there, then see who is the first to start squawking that there are no places that they can shop where prices are reasonable.

JK
Elderberry

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:59 pm

And I don't care about Walmart; they are not breaking any laws. They are not obligated to provide any more than they are providing. Maybe the government shouldn't be socializing or subsidizing state health care. That would solve that drain on the economy. And when certain states decide to regulate so that it becomes unprofitable for Walmart to operate there, then see who is the first to start squawking that there are no places that they can shop where prices are reasonable.

JK

You are just full of suggestions! Perhaps you should run for president. So we have socialized health care now? Hallelujah! When did that happen?! We must be living in two different countries! Do you know the difference between socialize and subsidize? Please look it up. :)

So now your solution is that people who need medical treatment should be turned away and left to die in the streets if they cannot afford to pay ? This in turn will help lift the burden off our economy?

LOL. You little problem solver, you!
DoriumLux

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:05 pm

DoriumLux wrote:

JK

You are just full of suggestions! Perhaps you should run for president. So we have socialized health care now? Hallelujah! When did that happen?! We must be living in two different countries! Do you know the difference between socialize and subsidize? Please look it up. :)

So now your solution is that people who need medical treatment should be turned away and left to die in the streets if they cannot afford to pay ? This in turn will help lift the burden off our economy?

Here's my solution to 'paying for' people that can't afford to pay for themselves--sterilization. Take care of them, but take them out of the gene pool. Eventually, the population will consist of people that are intelligent enough to make their own way.

How's that for problem solving sweetie?

JK
Elderberry

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:10 pm

jkisha wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:

JK

Here's my solution to 'paying for' people that can't afford to pay for themselves--sterilization. Take care of them, but take them out of the gene pool. Eventually, the population will consist of people that are intelligent enough to make their own way.

How's that for problem solving sweetie?

JK

Again, you impress. Nice theory Hitler.
DoriumLux

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:18 pm

DoriumLux wrote:Again, you impress. Nice theory Hitler.

Hey, enough with the name calling. I'm not killing them, I'm just preventing them from further polluting the gene pool. Any thinking person knows that there are waaaaay too many people on the planet. The smart ones are responsibly having their 1 to 1.5 children, the stupid ones are breeding like rabbits. This might not be a popular view, but it certainly is a fact.

Oh, and don't overlook the fact that I am not forcing anyone to get sterilized. Don't get sterilized, don't accept my help. It's a choice.

JK
Elderberry

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:28 pm

jkisha wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:Again, you impress. Nice theory Hitler.

Hey, enough with the name calling. I'm not killing them, I'm just preventing them from further polluting the gene pool. Any thinking person knows that there are waaaaay too many people on the planet. The smart ones are responsibly having their 1 to 1.5 children, the stupid ones are breeding like rabbits. This might not be a popular view, but it certainly is a fact.

Oh, and don't overlook the fact that I am not forcing anyone to get sterilized. Don't get sterilized, don't accept my help. It's a choice.

JK

As someone who is studying anthropology, I can tell you don't quite comprehend what a "gene pool" is and/or how genetics work at all. You don't get even "get" the Hitler reference. It's not even any fun anymore.

Le sigh. I've tired of this. It's like batting around a dead mouse.
DoriumLux

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:31 pm

DoriumLux wrote:As someone who is studying anthropology. I can tell you don't quite comprehend what a "gene pool" is and/or how genetics work at all. You don't get even "get" the Hitler reference. It's not even any fun anymore.

I guess that means I won!

:D

JK
Elderberry

Postby DoriumLux » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:33 pm

jkisha wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:As someone who is studying anthropology. I can tell you don't quite comprehend what a "gene pool" is and/or how genetics work at all. You don't get even "get" the Hitler reference. It's not even any fun anymore.

I guess that means I won!

:D

JK

DoriumLux

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:36 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Elderberry » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:38 pm

glad you're enjoying the show ygmir :lol:

Damn, she screwed up her reply, I was waiting with bated breath too.

She takes this stuff way too serious. Think I should tell her yet?

JK
Elderberry

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:49 pm

wait till I get us drinks.......

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir