2012: The Last Burn

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.
Mercedese

Re: 2012: The Last Burn

Post by Mercedese » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:00 am

Well if Burning Man ever did end, then it would be the end of my world! Somedays going to Burning Man is the only thing that gets me through the day!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

you might get what you're after.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 am

[youtube][/youtube]
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 am

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

baconlover

Post by baconlover » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Mmmmmmm bacon........

robrob
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:11 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:20 pm

fuck you youtube...

heres another version.

[youtube][/youtube]
Frida Be You & Me

bud buddah

Post by bud buddah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Simon always has the best videos.

Larry told me there will be a burn next year, but they will definitely unplug the eplaya server this year. It's not as good as it used to be.
Bud

HippyLabRat

Post by HippyLabRat » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:58 pm

If 2012 were the last burn...

Well, I think that tickets to the event in 2011 (having sold out long before the gates opened) are now a commodity. Its exactly the opposite of what was ever intended. A lot of my long time burner friends said that MOOP was a vastly bigger problem this year than ever before, during the event. And the MOOP map I think bears that out. There was a lot more yellow and red (and the first ever black) given out this year. My cohorts mentioned that the MOOP in the portas was especially heinous this year.
Its the people who come solely for the party rather than the art, spiritual healing, and connecting with other people that are at the heart of these issues. They use it up while its going on and don't care what happens afterward... because they don't have to deal with it after they leave. Sadly, They just don't "get it." As long as they can have their drug and alcohol fueled romp for 8 days, they could give a shit less what most of us who really take the guiding principles to heart think.

How do we fix this?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:04 pm

This is not the first year for black. I think it was on 07 or 08 or the first moop map that they made public. Because it is for very heinous stuff, and because it is a very local marking--not the whole 50' by 50' square--it's just not as visible.
Robbidobbs, the Poopervisor of the Potty Project, says that the portos were very good this year. Since education and talking to the people who pump them out is her on-playa day job, I'm far more inclined to believe her as opposed to your vague associations.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MOOP_Czar

Post by MOOP_Czar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 pm

HippyLabRat wrote:If 2012 were the last burn...

Well, I think that tickets to the event in 2011 (having sold out long before the gates opened) are now a commodity. Its exactly the opposite of what was ever intended. A lot of my long time burner friends said that MOOP was a vastly bigger problem this year than ever before, during the event. And the MOOP map I think bears that out. There was a lot more yellow and red (and the first ever black) given out this year. My cohorts mentioned that the MOOP in the portas was especially heinous this year.
Its the people who come solely for the party rather than the art, spiritual healing, and connecting with other people that are at the heart of these issues. They use it up while its going on and don't care what happens afterward... because they don't have to deal with it after they leave. Sadly, They just don't "get it." As long as they can have their drug and alcohol fueled romp for 8 days, they could give a shit less what most of us who really take the guiding principles to heart think.

How do we fix this?
Join the Brigade.

We hate MOOP.

We have bullhorns.

We believe in asking questions when they need to be asked.

In front of people.

Loudly.
MOOP Czar

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 pm

HippyLabRat, your friends are incorrect about both the moop being the worst its ever been AND the portos. As Cryptofishist says, Robbidobbs herself has reported that this was an a amazing year for the potties, and the experiences of many an ePlayan (especially the ones who've been here a long time) bears this out. I can testify personally that the years 2000 and 2001 were downright shocking for the portos. The last few years have been great, this one especially.

2010 was the cleanest year for moop.
All in all, the city scored very well this year — nearly as well as 2010, which was a record-breaker. 2011 saw an increase in Yellow zones, which is a bit of a disappointment considering the hard-packed playa surface this year.
http://blog.burningman.com/2011/10/news ... -all-done/

If you search "Moop Map" and a year from 2006 or onward at the main site, you can look at the moop maps.

rochclips

Post by rochclips » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

If the burning man is changing then I for one embrace that change. What the hell is it with humans inability to do so? Change is not bad, negative, or scary it simply is what we make of it. I have only been to the burn the last two years but from what I can see or feel it has remained a very positive influence, and based on that alone its worth its weight in gold! Evolution is a great thing people. I have become a much better person because of my experiences on the playa. If you prefer things to remain the same then tell me why do you drive a car instead of horse and buggy? Why do you wipe your ass with toilet paper instead of leaves? If this is your mentality i wonder, do you still believe the earth is flat? The world is changing as does the technology, the population, the ideologies, etc. If you choose to not embrace that you will simply be left behind. Give up? Stop the only positive escape from this fucked up daily life? Fuck all you quiters!!! I say we continue to grow because that is the beauty of the movement. We WANT people to share the ideas we stand for. As for the complications that emerge when any given structure is put under pressure, they will get worked out one by one. All that is required of us is to continue growing together, peacefully.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:45 am

Mmm-kay, Roach Clip, take a deep breath. Feel better?

Welcome to Eplaya!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Savannah wrote:HippyLabRat, your friends are incorrect about both the moop being the worst its ever been AND the portos. As Cryptofishist says, Robbidobbs herself has reported that this was an a amazing year for the potties, and the experiences of many an ePlayan (especially the ones who've been here a long time) bears this out. I can testify personally that the years 2000 and 2001 were downright shocking for the portos. The last few years have been great, this one especially.

All in all, the city scored very well this year — nearly as well as 2010, which was a record-breaker. 2011 saw an increase in Yellow zones, which is a bit of a disappointment considering the hard-packed playa surface this year.

If you search "Moop Map" and a year from 2006 or onward at the main site, you can look at the moop maps.
Savannah,
Thank you for setting people straight.
Heir say is heir say.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Don't forget the general rule of thumb which clearly states that 76.3% of all statistics are pulled out of your ass..

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote:HippyLabRat, your friends are incorrect about both the moop being the worst its ever been AND the portos. As Cryptofishist says, Robbidobbs herself has reported that this was an a amazing year for the potties, and the experiences of many an ePlayan (especially the ones who've been here a long time) bears this out. I can testify personally that the years 2000 and 2001 were downright shocking for the portos. The last few years have been great, this one especially.

Savannah,
Thank you for setting people straight.
Heir say is heir say.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Return to “2012 Theme”