GET OUT OF YOUR TENT AND SHARE MY RV WITH ME

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

GET OUT OF YOUR TENT AND SHARE MY RV WITH ME

Postby joshua283 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey Burners! If you wanna get out of your dusty tent and stay in an air conditioned RV come join me. My name is Charles, I'm a physician and I'm camping with ESD-9 (the medical camp) at station 9 (9:00). I've rented a 32 foot 3 slide RV with all the amenities. I'm leaving for Burning Man from LA on Saturday, August 25th. I'll be spending the night in some (inexpensive) hotel somewhere between Los Angeles and BRC (maybe Sacramento?) and getting to the gates when they open on Sunday evening, August 26. I am leaving BRC for Los Angeles on Monday, September 3rd. There are only two of us but another would be great. You gotta share the cost of the RV and gas and help with the cleanup at the end)- but camping in an RV-IS-WORTH-IT. If you are interested, drop me a note at joshua282282@gmailcom.

Hope you all have a great and SAFE burn.
BUT if you need some medical help come see me at ESD-9 (the emergency department, not the camp). It would be an honor to help you. :)

PS If you just need a ride from Los Angeles to BRC and back, let me know. I have space. The other guy who is sharing my RV with me is meeting me at BRC so currently I am driving alone to BM. Come share the ride. :)
joshua283

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: ESD-9

Re: GET OUT OF YOUR TENT AND SHARE MY RV WITH ME

Postby yoyomokomo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:54 am

Still looking for someone to share a ride with?

I am flying in from Maui!

Looking for a reliable way out to BRC.

Let me know. Thanks!

Aloha.
yoyomokomo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 am

Say hello to ESD for me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Burnetz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:49 am

Hey Charles,

Still loOking for people to share your RV?
We are 2 guys from New York still looking to find accomOdation. We will arrive in SFO on the 25th and could arrange to get to Sacramento.
In case you have room for 2, let's talk.

Thanks,
Christoph
Burnetz

Postby Sophia » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I'd love to share with you! This will be my 6th burn in 8 years and my usual camp is not happening this year so im looking for a chill and easy way to dial into the burn. I live in Mill Valley, Calif- just outside of San Fran so if you wanted to stay the night at my place then head up and drive straight thru leaving at 4am-which i have done each year -thats an option. let me know. Im a psychotherapist in private practice and an alchemist teacher/transformer-freeing people from the limitations of heir wounds- I'm in! 415-686-9749-Sophia
Sophia

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Doc...go with Sonia.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby pink » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Doc, I think that last reply was snark. Read up on Sonia before you call. Maybe there will be one less sparklepony on the playa if she doesn't get gifted a ticket.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby joshua283 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Just an FYI to all who are considering joining my RV: gay guy here. i wouldn't think thats an issue at Burning Man, but maybe it is. And I certainly don't define myself by my sexuality, its just another interesting part of me. I had a third guy up to till today who pulled out after a told him I was gay. I didn't think to mention it in the beginning of his and my conversations as I didn't think it was even an issue, cuz this is Burning Man?!? He actually said in the email in response was "I have no prob with alternative lifestyles, just not sure how comfortable I may be around displays of affection." Um, just cuz I'm gay doesn't mean I plan to be like having open sex in my RV. Um, not my scene. So yeah, sorta stung to hear that. So obviously I dont wanna go thru this again, so to all folks interested my joining my RV: my RV is accepting of ALL sexual orientations, genders, and races with love and respect to all. Anyone not on that page should not inquire in RV sharing.

But now that I've vented here on the eplaya, I just dont come across issues like this in my regular life, and i would have never had guessed it woud be an issue here at Burning Man, but should I even be a bit...off-put by this ...event? I'm at a loss at hearing from a straight guy how he has no problems with "alternative lifestyles" but wouldnt wanna share an RV with a gay guy. We wouldn't even be sharing a bed in the RV, and he knew that. Am I being too sensitive?

Gosh, am I gonna get this out on the playa?

Any feedback would be helpful.

And we are gonna have a great burn.

Peace to all
joshua283

Postby trilobyte » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Moving this over to the shared resources board, since that's a better fit for ride and rv share posts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby joshua283 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:42 pm

[quote]Doc, I think that last reply was snark. Read up on Sonia before you call. Maybe there will be one less sparklepony on the playa if she doesn't get gifted a ticket./quote]

hey pink,

yeah, i did some reading. um, wow.

much thanks.
joshua283

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:52 am

BRC is quite possibly the gay-friendliest city in the nation (San Francisco is its damn birthplace, after all.) That doesn't mean that homophobes don't get in.
Twits. What can you do...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 am

Hey Cryptofishist,

Yeah, i agree. Much thanks for the comment.

And yeah, I will definitely say hello for you to all at the ESD-9 where I will be working.

I would kill for any idea of information on a company that is actually coming to the playa to refill RV water tanks. I read it was MECO but they never answer their phone and I'm not even sure they are in business anymore. If you hear of a company, PLEASE let me know.

Hope your burn is great.
joshua283

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 am

Joshua - on the "gay thing", while BRC is, like Fishy says, definitely the gay-friendliest city in the US (if not the world), but that doesn't mean that everyone who goes is "gay friendly". If they use the phrase "alternate lifestyles"... yeah, they're not so gay friendly, and to people like that snuggling, holding hands & kissing falls under affection. Sex would give them a heart-attack. Let people know you're gay so you don't get another one like this, set easy ground-rules for everyone to follow in the RV (ie: "nobody has sex in the RV", or, "everyone can schedule a time to have sex in the RV").

As for the water refill & your RV - honestly, try not to use enough water to need refilling. We use the 2.5 gallon suitcases for pretty much everything in our RV: dish-washing, drinking... oh, that's actually about all we use water for. We might take one shower each during the week - get wet, turn water off, soap up, rinse off, turn water off, dry. The water is on for less than 5 minutes total. The trucks are out there, but they aren't cheap & even if you plan service it doesn't mean you're going to get it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:53 am

Hey Eric!

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading and appreciating your well thought out posts for many many months and it feels like an honor to actually get one directly from you. How cool is that for me?! Greetings to YOU, BROTHER! :)

Yeah, I was definitely planning on setting up ground rules for the RV, on many subjects, especially water. But I agree on the water- its gotta be used sparingly. I have heard there is grey/black water tank removal for a fee on the playa and Im bring cash for it, but is there actually companies that refill the fresh H2O? I'm happy to make reservations (and pay) to company before I get to BRC, but for the life of me I cant seem to even find one that delivers to the playa on a Wed or Thursday. All I keep reading about is Meco-Reno, but they never answer their phones and I havent received an email back from them.

And thanks for the support on the gay thing. Yeah, its amazing how many people say they accept us, but in actuality they dont. Almost (but not quite) makes me appreciate the forthright gay-haters who say how much they hate to your face. At least I know they arent a friend rather than these folks who say "Oh, Im totally ok with the Gay thing" but arent.

BTW, my real name is Charles.

And hope you have a great burn. Maybe we can meet on the playa and say a big hello?
joshua283

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Flattery works wonders, but it still won't stop me from encouraging you to to bring your own water. :lol:

The only potable water vendors that I know exist deal with places like 1st camp & the "plug and play" VIP camps, and charge an arm & a leg. I don't know their name, I know about them due to (a) working on the paper, where we've done articles around this, and (b) staying in the workers side of a VIP camp last year & getting fresh water every other day. It's nice, but they hadn't filled the tank when we got there and we were lucky we're all old paranoid Burners who brought extra water even though we "weren't going to need it".

Bring your own water in, don't leave your fate to flaky vendors. Just pile in the 2.5 gallon suitcases, making sure to distribute the weight, and be done with it. You'll thank me come Thursday when you realize your tank is dry & there isn't a vendor to be found.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Eric,

Oh hell yes I'm filling up my fresh water tank before I get to the Playa, prob Reno. I'm talking to venders now. Will reserve time before i head out to BRC. And also I'm bringing four 7 gallon water containers just for my consumption, so I'll be ok, but a refill mid-week would be great cuz then I cud shower more often, ya know.

And I've read, reread, taken copious pages of typed notes of the survival guide & from the eplaya. That's where I learned about fabulous you! Without those two resources my camping would be a disaster. And I wouldn't discover that until I got to the playa. Scary. So much thanks to all the help you have posted over the years cuz it's helped out a lot.
joshua283

Postby Rice » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 pm

joshua283 wrote:Eric,

Oh hell yes I'm filling up my fresh water tank before I get to the Playa, prob Reno. I'm talking to venders now. Will reserve time before i head out to BRC. And also I'm bringing four 7 gallon water containers just for my consumption, so I'll be ok, but a refill mid-week would be great cuz then I cud shower more often, ya know.

And I've read, reread, taken copious pages of typed notes of the survival guide & from the eplaya. That's where I learned about fabulous you! Without those two resources my camping would be a disaster. And I wouldn't discover that until I got to the playa. Scary. So much thanks to all the help you have posted over the years cuz it's helped out a lot.

um, remember: every gallon of shower water creates a gallon of grey water. What are you going to do if the grey/black water tank fills up???
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Hey Stretch,

I'm planning on bringing cash & flagging down the venders who will be there to remove the grey/black water. $60. I read that in the survival guide.

Gosh, I hope it's correct.

Do you think that's a bad idea? Have you heard if it's hard to flag them down?

Any and all comments & suggestions are welcome. Bonus points if it's a person who is looking to share an RV with a groovy & hot guy. Yup, you read that right. :)
joshua283

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:31 pm

It's not hard to flag them down, you just need to spend a chunk of your day waiting at camp for one to come down your street. Check with your campmates, the folks at station 9 are usually pretty organized. ;)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby pink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Charles,

I've brought a van conversion every year I've gone, and it only has a 20 gallon fresh water tank. I'm not even sure of the size of the grey/black water tanks. I bring about 7 gallons of drinking water, and usually have some left over. I go solo.

I use my RV water for washing dishes (sparingly), washing my feet/sponge bath (foot washing at night is a lovely treat if you prefer sandals like I do), face washing, hand washing. I get through a week with some to spare.

If you like a lot of showers, get a solar shower and either set it up in your shower in the rig, or use an evap pond. Even better, I've found is the simple garden sprayer. It is incredibly refreshing on a hot afternoon, doesn't require an evap pond because little water hits the playa, and you can have a lot of fun with your friends, RV mates, make new friends by asking for help spraying....for a full shower experience while using little water, get sprayed, get off the grime with baby wipes, then rinse off again. You'll find the playa is really a natural deodorant (it's really wierd that way, but people don't tend to stink even after a week), and you'll find ways to conserve water you never thought about in defaultia.

The first few burns I was really worried about running out of water-especially the second one where my toilet valve stuck open and I didn't realize it until my tank was 3/4 empty the third day. I was literally flushing away my precious water every time I turned the pump on. But practice makes perfect, and even though I had early entry last year AND stayed until Tuesday to leave, I still had water in my tank. The first couple of years I also worried about the grey & black water tanks and paid to have them pumped by the end of the week. It's a LOT easier than stopping by the first rest stop on I-80 toward Reno where there is a dump station, but a lot cheaper. Flagging down the trucks isn't as hard as it seems, especially if you are in a major camp like medical. But if you are conserving your water, the grey & black water shouldn't fill up either.

Another tip-use the portos whenever you can, rather than the RV toilet. Having an indoor toilet is heaven for the middle of the night pees, but stank can be an issue.

Also....make sure anyone sharing your space has this info stamped into their brain! It would suck to be conserving water like a fiend and then have a douche roommate drain your entire tank in one shower.
pink

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Pink,

Great advice. Now I'M at TWO thanks to you, Pink.

One more and I will owe you something wonderful on the playa...hhhmmmm....

Charles
joshua283

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm

Eric wrote:Joshua - on the "gay thing", while BRC is, like Fishy says, definitely the gay-friendliest city in the US (if not the world), but that doesn't mean that everyone who goes is "gay friendly". If they use the phrase "alternate lifestyles"... yeah, they're not so gay friendly, and to people like that snuggling, holding hands & kissing falls under affection. Sex would give them a heart-attack. Let people know you're gay so you don't get another one like this, set easy ground-rules for everyone to follow in the RV (ie: "nobody has sex in the RV", or, "everyone can schedule a time to have sex in the RV").

(I wish I'd said that...)
Once more, gracious: Thank you, Eric, for getting at the nub of what I was trying to say.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby pink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Ok, should have said the dump station is a lot cheaper-it's free vs whatever the trucks will charge to pump out your tanks.

Last bit of advice: there's a great thread in the Transportation section called the RV camper's survival guide. Tons of info there! And one bit I learned about last year was this silver bubble wrap type insulation they sell at home depot. Tape it on your windows with blue painter's masking tape. It made such a fucking difference in the inside temperature, this year I'm buying enough to damn near wrap my whole van. I dont have a working a/c unit, so it can get hella hot in there.

I'll be at Retrofrolic. Come by and get a hug!
pink

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

The bubble wrap works great! It really does drop the temperature, and it's not too expensive. However, if you own your RV use something stronger than painters tape - I'm forced to use it in the rental & it's a nightmare. It doesn't want to stick to anything, so I end up creating strange folded structures in the middle of the drivers cabin trying to hold it up.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Pink,

Free dump of my grey/black water? I didnt know that. Thats a fantastic idea cuz free is great. And I dont want lug all that extra heavy waste down with me to LA and waste gas so know i know where to go. Great tip.

OK, its official. i gotta find me Retrofrolic camp and give and get a big hug from Pink. Yum!

Eric,

yah, I have heard that painters tape doesnt wanna stick to much and I gotta use it instead of duct tape cuz I have a rental too. I hope i make it work.

One more great tip from you Eric and I will owe you a big boy howdy hug when I see you. Um...nah, you get one anyway! What camp are you at?

TO ALL READING THIS THREAD: THERE IS STILL ROOM TO RIDESHARE TO TO BRC FROM LOS ANGELES. LET ME KNOW CUZ YOU ARE WELCOME TO JOIN.
Charles
joshua283

Postby joshua283 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 pm

[color=#00FF00]TO ALL WHO STILL NEED A RIDE TO BRC: I STILL HAVE A FREAKING LOT OF ROOM.

Im driving up to Reno alone, picking up the second guy who is camping with me and the th[color=#00FF40]
ird guy is meeting me at BRC. MY RV can very easily bring 4-5 more folks to drive up. let me know if you are interested.

charles
[/color][/color]
joshua283

Postby pink » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 pm

I put the wrap on the outside and the painters tape works great sticking to the metal. I use it on my wing windows too since they dont seal too well.

Have you posted on the rideshare board? I've seen a lot of people looking just for rides. Might pick up a couple of really greatful people in Reno too. Just make sure any riders have a ticket.
pink

Postby Mil3s101 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi charles my name is ryan and im travelling with two of my friends and we are all firsttimers. We would love to get to know some people on the way to bm! Our vehicle which we used for getting arround in NorthAmerica just broke down so we dont know how to get to BurningMan. Me and my friends are driving across the usa and canada for 2 months and we have been camping with our truck the whole time so we already saw alot and want to share our experience with you. We are all three from germany and we would enjoy making new friends. Im sure we would have a great time together and make the time to Bm more interesting. We will of course pay our part of the gas you will use for getting to Bm. I also wrote you a PM with my email adress, please reply, Im looking forward writing with you :mrgreen:
Mil3s101

Postby joshua283 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 pm

hey ryan!

yah, I've got room for some ridersharers. my RV is now full for campers but lets chat more about ridesharing. it would be groovy.

charles
joshua283

Postby kellyinor » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Hi Charles,

My name is Kelly. I live in Hood River, OR and am a metal artist. I am creative, fun, easy going, passionate and love to have fun.
I could care less what your choice of lifestyle is. I accept people for who they are - but also want to be around people who are fun,
open minded, easy going, etc....I participate, am conscience minded, love to cook and organized. I am athletic - which basically means
I love the outdoors....windsurfing, biking, paddling, waterskiing, traveling....I do it all (when I can).

Anyway, I am going to BM solo and I understand this is going to be a harsh year in regards to the dust. I am totally self sufficient, but hey
I cannot lie, an RV would be a good place to come to and get out of the dust and hang with some cool people.

For more info, please respond and we can go from there.
Cheers,
Kelly
kellyinor

Camp Name: no

Return to 2012 Share Resources