Rideshare from... Oz??

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Rideshare from... Oz??

Postby jaytro4 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Hello playa mates,

This is probably the longest shot ever, but I'll give it a go anyway: My partner and I are looking for a ride to the playa from Sydney (or really, anywhere in Australia, as it's far cheaper for us to get around on our continent). On your plane, boat, personal teleportation device... If you've got space to spare, there are two of us looking for a way to get there.

This is my manifestation attempt #2 (Manifestation attempt #1 was getting tickets this year in the first place). I believe in the magic of the playa, and that what's meant to happen will.

Both my partner and I are sporadically employed right now-- He's an artist, and I'm a musician. We're lucky if we pull in $2000 a month together. But we've got a roof over our heads and food on the table, and we're pretty happy with our lives right now. Australia's a pretty awesome place-- except for how far it is from Burning Man. When I got back from the playa last year, I got it in my head that we'd be able to afford it this year if we could put away $55 a week, which seemed like pocket change. But life happened, and the car breaking down, emergency root canal, and moving to a different living space took those funds away pretty quickly.

I was absolutely elated when both my partner and I received low income tickets, but right now we've got the drive and the determination to get to the playa, but not the cash for the flight. We can pay you up to a thousand dollars, but that's about all the money we've got saved for the trip.

In a totally related side note, we'll be fully participatory awesome playa participants, and STELLAR rideshare partners, should we go this year... my partner will be doing a mural on the side of our camp's 40ft trailer, and I will be the camp ambassador to Center Camp, as well as possibly teaching a movement drumming workshop for anyone excited in connecting their body with music in a different way. And I'm a fucking Back Massage slut, I gift them to everyone who needs a little love and relaxation (the heebees annointed me a healer in the time I spent there, and I'm working on fully embracing how to help heal those who want it from me). We will bring joy and light to the playa and your vehicle. Oh, I've also got a handmade black tutu that fully lights up at night that has been waiting for months for its playa debut.... Please don't disappoint the tutu!!! We can help pay for fuel and food, and I can give you back massages, and sew you a playa costume or two (or 5), should you let us ride with you to Burning Man. As I said, I know it's a long shot, but I don't think it can hurt to try.

Much love,
Jenna/Genesis
Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly.
jaytro4

Re: Rideshare from... Oz??

Postby Drawingablank » Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Wow, I wish you luck on this. Seems like a tough place to get a rideshare from.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elderberry » Sun May 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Wow, I wish you luck on this. Seems like a tough place to get a rideshare from.

LOL, an understatement if ever there was one.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Drawingablank » Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 pm

To be honest, when I saw that title I expected a more clueless post - more along the lines of will share gas and tolls. But I wish them luck - hitching a ride from another continent has to be tough to pull off.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Sun May 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Make a post for the American city you're flying into . . .

http://rideshare.burningman.com/ridesha ... -man-2012/
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Sun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Savannah wrote:Make a post for the American city you're flying into . . .

They don't want a ride from an American city. They want their ride share to start from Sydney. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Clearly stated...rideshare on someone's plane, boat, etc.

But not to worry, they are manifesting it and as you know the playa will provide. It got them their low income tickets.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby jaytro4 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:49 am

Yeah, as I mentioned, I know it's an extremely long stretch... But hey, miracles happen. Can't find someone if we don't put ourselves out there in the first place :). Heh so if you know any Aussies with an extra two seats, direct them my way! (or pray that tickets to America will magically drop to $500 round trip :P)
jaytro4

Postby wh..sh » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 am

jaytro4 wrote:Yeah, as I mentioned, I know it's an extremely long stretch... But hey, miracles happen. Can't find someone if we don't put ourselves out there in the first place :). Heh so if you know any Aussies with an extra two seats, direct them my way! (or pray that tickets to America will magically drop to $500 round trip :P)

So, you want someone to buy you flight tickets? From Sydney to Reno?
Unless someone has a private jet, I am not sure what "ride share" means.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 10:16 am

jkisha wrote:
Savannah wrote:Make a post for the American city you're flying into . . .

They don't want a ride from an American city. They want their ride share to start from Sydney. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Clearly stated...rideshare on someone's plane, boat, etc.

I guess there are a few things so unusual that my eyes are not immediately prepared to comprehend them. :P

Savannah

Postby some seeing eye » Mon May 21, 2012 10:19 am

No reason to not ask on eplaya. But as you know getting off island Oz is expensive. You might find better suggestions like schedule-flexible courier and freighter travel from Oz-local sources. There are several Aussie friendly camps. Welcome!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

some seeing eye wrote:No reason to not ask on eplaya.

True. :D

But as you know getting off island Oz is expensive. You might find better suggestions like schedule-flexible courier and freighter travel from Oz-local sources. There are several Aussie friendly camps. Welcome!

Clever. (I'd heard about the courier stuff once, thought it was neat, ate some cheese, promptly forgot about courier stuff . . . )

Taking a freighter to the US for the Burn? = Adventure Sandwich.

Savannah

Postby AntiM » Mon May 21, 2012 2:15 pm

*insert ruby slippers remark here and move on*

:D
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jaytro4 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 pm

wh..sh wrote:So, you want someone to buy you flight tickets? From Sydney to Reno?
Unless someone has a private jet, I am not sure what "ride share" means.

Actually, yes, I'm hoping someone has a private jet (or a boat, I'd be cool with spending a month at sea) that they'd be willing to share... someone offered me a ride in his plane to Burning Man last year, but it was a 2 seater and he was flying from NY (I was already in NY at the time, but had made previous plans to arrive to the playa early, so I had to turn him down), so I know people do fly directly there... otherwise, if they're just flying into LA or SF or whatever i could easily find playamates to pick us up once we get to the mainland. I know there are people of means who travel to burning man, and I'm hoping that someone would be moved to help me. We'll see just how good my manifestation powers are, I guess.
jaytro4

Postby jaytro4 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 pm

damn... thought I found one on the rideshare website, but it was a misleading post :oops:
jaytro4

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 am

Get in your house and wait for a twister.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am

jaytro4 wrote:damn... thought I found one on the rideshare website, but it was a misleading post :oops:

Thanks for the update, but we don't really care.
JK
Elderberry

Return to 2012 Share Resources