Badges

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi,
I want to get a bunch of badges made as gifts (not telling you what is on them!).

I want to get some button ones, some rectangle ones, and maybe some dog tags.

The idea of lugging them across the world and getting them through customs does not appeal. So I want to find a badge maker that others on eplaya have used and is reliable.

I’ll have the badges shipped to one of my camp mates in the USA for delivery to the playa (yes that’s probably you MDF).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 pm

in before all the people who havnt seen treasure of the sierra madre start quoting it!
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:28 pm

lemur wrote:in before all the people who havnt seen treasure of the sierra madre start quoting it!


I am utterly utterly lost please tell me what you are talking about

:?
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:32 pm

melaniejane wrote:
lemur wrote:in before all the people who havnt seen treasure of the sierra madre start quoting it!


I am utterly utterly lost please tell me what you are talking about

:?


Nope IMBD saved me

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.”

:D
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby jella » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:35 pm

melaniejane wrote:
melaniejane wrote:
lemur wrote:in before all the people who havnt seen treasure of the sierra madre start quoting it!


I am utterly utterly lost please tell me what you are talking about

:?


Nope IMBD saved me

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.”

:D
I would be glad to be your american address and badge o matic is a brand my grandmother had. hell it might be in a shed somewhere lol pm me :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Re: Badges

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 pm

lemur wrote:in before all the people who havnt seen treasure of the sierra madre start quoting it!

hah I was right there with ya!!

MJ:
IIRC, Tom Servo has a button making machine, and had said something last year about making buttons.........maybe he can make badges, too?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Badges

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:59 pm

laminates are the new badges!!
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Badges

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I want to see this machine that makes badgers! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Badges

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 pm

buttons are new badges and laminates are the new buttons?

honestly I am confused about lots of things today.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

FIGJAM wrote:I want to see this machine that makes badgers! :shock:


A badger on a badge - not bad.

I know about machines that will flatten badgers :cry:
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

melaniejane wrote:buttons are new badges and laminates are the new buttons?

honestly I am confused about lots of things today.


just go with merkins, no pins.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh, fuck what have I started here
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:09 pm

melaniejane wrote:Oh, fuck what have I started here

you could be more creative with commas, you know. Might tie in with the theme.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Badges

Postby jella » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 pm

melaniejane wrote:Oh, fuck what have I started here

You have learned well grasshopper :wink:
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
User avatar
jella
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:01 pm
Location: Escondido, California
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Re: Badges

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:20 pm

jella wrote:
melaniejane wrote:Oh, fuck what have I started here

You have learned well grasshopper :wink:

so says the fashion model.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Badges

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 pm

MJ -- Why you don't order these from businesses local to you and then ship?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Bob wrote:MJ -- Why you don't order these from businesses local to you and then ship?


I would, but sadly the cost of shipping to the USA is prohibitive. You have to use air mail. So, I figure I may as well save my $ and have them made in the USA.

Many of the local producers here outsource to China anyway - so I’m not helping my local economy either way.

I’m planning on making a couple of very special ones that will get made here, so i can see the finished product.

Some of the best gifts I got last year were badges (I want a badger though) so I reckon I should return the favour.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby JStep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 pm

The absolute best badge makers are sold by badgeaminit http://www.badgeaminit.com/.

They make the best equipment and they are durable, a badgeaminit button maker will last you years. They are manufactured like high-quality bullet making machines, if you have any experience with those. Solid metal design, well made.

(No I don't work for them or get any benefit, I'm just that sold on their products having used them before)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
User avatar
JStep
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Badges

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 pm

melaniejane wrote:
Bob wrote:MJ -- Why you don't order these from businesses local to you and then ship?


I would, but sadly the cost of shipping to the USA is prohibitive. You have to use air mail. So, I figure I may as well save my $ and have them made in the USA.

Many of the local producers here outsource to China anyway - so I’m not helping my local economy either way.

I’m planning on making a couple of very special ones that will get made here, so i can see the finished product.

Some of the best gifts I got last year were badges (I want a badger though) so I reckon I should return the favour.


once riding through the desert east of the playa, on my ATC, a badger attacked my front wheel.......I'm sure it was a honey badger, it just didn't give a shit about how big the bike and I were. and it was nasty.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 pm

JStep wrote:The absolute best badge makers are sold by badgeaminit http://www.badgeaminit.com/.

They make the best equipment and they are durable, a badgeaminit button maker will last you years. They are manufactured like high-quality bullet making machines, if you have any experience with those. Solid metal design, well made.

(No I don't work for them or get any benefit, I'm just that sold on their products having used them before)


Thanks.

I might actually order one of these - and take it home with me from the USA - then I can make my own for the following year right in my lounge room. Also I have a bunch of friends in bands. We could make band badges.
The prices on the machines here is a bit OTT, and the ones you buy direct from china look like crap.

I love you lot and all your silly badgyness and helpfullness
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 am

Honey badge don't give a shit!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Badges

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:26 am

Nobody is going to hate you for not handing out some sort of trinkets. Some people (eg the janitorial crew) *will* hate you if they find a number of your trinkets strewn around the desert.

Years ago one camp made up faux paper passports and encouraged other camps to make up rubber stamps to fill it up. Likewise, you might consider having stamps made up with your camp logo or slogan and just tattooing people in the ass. The whole kit should cost less than a 30-pack of beer and fit in your pocket.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Badges

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:32 am

Bob wrote:Nobody is going to hate you for not handing out some sort of trinkets. Some people (eg the janitorial crew) *will* hate you if they find a number of your trinkets strewn around the desert.

Years ago one camp made up faux paper passports and encouraged other camps to make up rubber stamps to fill it up. Likewise, you might consider having stamps made up with your camp logo or slogan and just tattooing people in the ass. The whole kit should cost less than a 30-pack of beer and fit in your pocket.


I stopped by “Camp Brand Your Arse” last year. Lots of fun!

I’m a bit of a badge junkie. Sad huh.
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Badges

Postby JStep » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:44 am

melaniejane wrote:
I might actually order one of these - and take it home with me from the USA - then I can make my own for the following year right in my lounge room. Also I have a bunch of friends in bands. We could make band badges.
The prices on the machines here is a bit OTT, and the ones you buy direct from china look like crap.

I love you lot and all your silly badgyness and helpfullness


You're welcome. Look around for used ones. You can sometimes find them on eBay for a decent price, as well as bags of buttons and button backs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=badge+a+minit

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=button+maker
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
User avatar
JStep
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Badges

Postby The Rat Lady » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Another source for machines and even cheaper/better button parts is Dr. Don's http://www.buttonsonline.com/ I have an old BAM machine and his parts work more smoothly in it. :)
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx
User avatar
The Rat Lady
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: CA High Desert, USA
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC DoA/ Mobility Camp

Re: Badges

Postby Major Krash » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:55 pm

I get mine from entomomachine.com
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
User avatar
Major Krash
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: just off the Oregon Trail
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Re: Badges

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm

ygmir wrote:
melaniejane wrote:buttons are new badges and laminates are the new buttons?

honestly I am confused about lots of things today.


just go with merkins, no pins.




Please, please, please make certain that any badgers used as merkins are dead or at least well sedated.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
User avatar
FlyingMonkey
 
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:33 am

Re: Badges

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

THIS!!! Is a button machine!
Image
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6017
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to 2012 Share Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest