Looking to get to know someone for a 2012 rideshare.

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Looking to get to know someone for a 2012 rideshare.

Postby Turnip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

In 2012 the plan for my boyfriend (25, then) and I (24, then) is to fly to Reno, and rideshare to the playa. We are not obnoxious druggies or ravers or of the "WOOOO PARTY" variety of burners, and find it easy to get along with just about anyone.

2012 will be our 3rd year, so we're not exactly veterans, but not wide eyed virgins you may feel you have to keep an eye on.

We're planning on doing minimalist camping and therefore have minimal gear, and will meet up with friends once we get there.

We're not exactly sure if we will NEED a rideshare (might be able to ride with friends from LA) but I'm trying to cover my bases and get ready for all possibilities.

I'd like to possibly get to know a few people that might consider offering a ride to me and my boyfriend come Burn 2012.

I'm aware some of you might wrinkle your nose at the huge "IF" I'm offering up, but perhaps just look at it as getting to know a fellow burner outside of Burning Man.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Re: Looking to get to know someone for a 2012 rideshare.

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:32 pm

You're unlikely to get to really know anyone on ePlaya...at least anyone that will absolutely seal your rideshare plans this far out. Best thing is to become active and get involved with your regional Burning Man group. If you're in Illinois the best place to start might be: http://regionals.burningman.com/us_il_chi.html...

Good luck.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Turnip » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 pm

dragonpilot wrote:You're unlikely to get to really know anyone on ePlaya...at least anyone that will absolutely seal your rideshare plans this far out. Best thing is to become active and get involved with your regional Burning Man group. If you're in Illinois the best place to start might be: http://regionals.burningman.com/us_il_chi.html...

Good luck.

Well considering I'm flying to Reno next year, getting to know any Illinois Burners for the sake of rideshare may be a little redundant, unless I find one that intends on flying there as well, and renting a vehicle. But considering that, why limit my search to only Illinois Burners?

Like I said, I'm aware it's early but this is mainly centered around getting to know anyone that may be interested in getting to know me and possibly extending an offer somewhere down the line.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Finding a ride from Reno to BRC is easy as pie.. seriously. Hang out for the next 51 weeks, show up, and you'll be fine.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Finding a ride from Reno to BRC is easy as pie.. seriously. Hang out for the next 51 weeks, show up, and you'll be fine.

Right! I missed the part about flying into Reno...J Smacks is right. There's actually a Burning Man Rideshare Help Desk at the Reno Airport Baggage Claim area that assists Burners flying in to get rides out to the playa...with maybe even stops along the way for supplies. You'll be fine!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:29 am

This kind of disturbs me:

Turnip wrote:I'd like to possibly get to know a few people that might consider offering a ride to me and my boyfriend come Burn 2012.

I'm aware some of you might wrinkle your nose at the huge "IF" I'm offering up, but perhaps just look at it as getting to know a fellow burner outside of Burning Man.

How about something like this:

Turnip wrote:I'd like to possibly get to know a few people.

Because this:

Turnip wrote:...getting to know a fellow burner outside of Burning Man.

is pretty much what this Board is all about.

And you know, if you offer and return friendship here without expectations, you might find the very best driving and camping buddy ever.

Just like I did. 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby vargaso » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Fly into Reno Airport, look around in baggage claim for other burners or right outside for people either holding signs or mentioning they are giving ride to the playa. Problem solved. Seriously. It's that easy. That or look here a few weeks before the event: http://burningmanrides.com/.

It's funny how established it all is now.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Return to 2012 Share Resources