Life in the outer rings

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Life in the outer rings

Postby Ludo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey!

The Dusty Swan Public Craic House and Celtic Cinema, after 3 years at 4:30 and Dublin, now finds itself on Hyacinth, considerably further out from the Esplanade. I hope folks don't mind trekking a bit further for free beer and Whiskey! My question is, having never camped that far out in the boonies, can anyone tell me what the population / foot traffic is like way out yonder. I am trying to predict our consumption relative to prior years, so I don't end up with a bunch of full kegs.

Thoughts??

Ludo
Ludo

Re: Life in the outer rings

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:51 pm

We were at 5:45 & H last year and while it didn't have the population density of closer in, the bars didn't seem to have any trouble attracting people in the day time. At night the streets were much quieter though and most of our local bars were closed at night.

Don't know if that helps your planning any. Being a returning camp with a lot of fans may help some as well.

Since I'll be just a couple blocks away, I can stop by and help you with the war against full kegs.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I've camped between G & H and liked it quite a bit. It wasn't chaotic, but didn't feel like the boonies to me either.

At night, being well lit when you're open will help. Especially if you have a light on top, maybe some music, and an inviting sign. A welcoming doorway is good. (I regret not approaching Revofuckinglution; it's a beautiful bar but their archways were low, I didn't get an obvious welcome, and my absurd shy streak kicked in). Encourage your neighbors to drop by on their way in or out, or for a nightcap.

If not late night, maybe your prime hours will be early-evening, 7-10pm. Or the cocktail hour. My favorite bar is usually on F street, and there is nothing finer than drinking champagne and dancing your ass off in the 4pm sunshine. That never happens in the Default World. It's positively exotic. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Savannah wrote:...and my absurd shy streak kicked in).

(aside) What's this? Savannah has a shy streak? Like me? Savannah? The self-same Savannah who delighted me with her megaphone: More horseplay, I wanna see more horseplay! Nah. It simply isn't possible...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 pm

We camped on G last year, it was nice! We had great neighbors and there were plenty of mutant vehicles that came cruising along throughout the week.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Jackass » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:36 pm

We camp all the way out on K and I love it, sure it's a greater distance anywhere you want to go but alot of cool shit going on all the way out to K. You should check it out sometime, you might like it
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Ludo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks, Everyone.

We definitely have an inviting entrance, a genuine Irish pub with a red door, porch lights, and celtic music wafting through the window and over the flower box. When the movies are playing, they shine through the walls. And our 17' water tower with the glowing green swans should provide a beacon, as well as a welcome landmark for neighbors stumbling home in the wee hours. You can see pictures of all this at www.TheDustySwan.com.

It looks like we will have to do a bit more advertising than usual. But somehow, with the help of our friends, I think we'll get through the beer! :D

Speaking of beer, like all BM pubs, we are a "bring your own cup" establishment. And we have found a nifty solution to the problem of carrying around and possibly forgetting your cup. We have stainless steel mugs with carabiners for handles on our fundraising site, accessible through the TheDustySwan.com website.

Slainte!

Ludo
Ludo

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am

The Dusty Swan is definitively a great camp to check out!
Easy bike parking with bike racks, great atmosphere, wonderful bartenders (who will card you) and just an over all A+ joint.
I'm bummed that my Ludo's cup decided to leave me at the burn last year. I even had both my playa and default address on it, and it never returned.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:41 am

Ludo wrote:Thanks, Everyone.

We definitely have an inviting entrance, a genuine Irish pub with a red door, porch lights, and celtic music wafting through the window and over the flower box. When the movies are playing, they shine through the walls. And our 17' water tower with the glowing green swans should provide a beacon, as well as a welcome landmark for neighbors stumbling home in the wee hours. You can see pictures of all this at http://www.TheDustySwan.com.

It looks like we will have to do a bit more advertising than usual. But somehow, with the help of our friends, I think we'll get through the beer! :D

Well, it sounds like a lovely place. Glowing green swans are a good move for identifying you, & your neighbors will indeed love the help stumbling home. :D I'll try to find it.

Will you be on the 4:30 spoke again? i.e., 4:30 & Hyacinth?

(The site says 4:30 and D but I'm guessing you haven't had a chance to update yet.)

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:...and my absurd shy streak kicked in).

(aside) What's this? Savannah has a shy streak? Like me? Savannah? The self-same Savannah who delighted me with her megaphone: More horseplay, I wanna see more horseplay! Nah. It simply isn't possible...

Why, I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Mademoiselle Poisson! Only the very worst kind of hoyden carries a megaphone! :lol:

(I've been trying to murder my shy streak for years. I'm very social . . . but full of awkward silences & wildly intermittent eye contact.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Canoe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

Bloody Marys in 2010 around 4:15 & K, one of the satellite/aerial photos showed the crowd gathering on the street.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I have to support an Irish pub! I am signed up for a mug (but didn't see where to put my name). I look forward to visiting your camp.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Morrell » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 pm

You guys put on such an inviting bar I am sure you'll attract a crowd no matter where you are!
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Is the Dusty Swan, were I wrote the ad lib limerick, and had to stand on the bar and recite it, for a very healthy shot of Jamesons?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Return to 2012 Theme Camps