Armenian DJ Setup at Syncytium

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Armenian DJ Setup at Syncytium

Postby miko » Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Sooooo -- with all of the chaos in planning and such this year Syncytium, which has been out on the Playa since 2010, is reorganizing heavily and trying some new and arbitrary things. Firstly we're building a 20,000 sq-ft wooden maze complete with swinging doors and crow's nests and other awesome tidbits.

THE OTHER thing that we're doing is, with at least two Armenian DJ/burners coming out from Detroit, is looking to get some sort of Hye Camp presence, PARTICULARLY WITH ARMENIAN DJs going out on the playa this year. Not sure what sort of sound system we're going to have but at the very least I've got 2x300w PAs that I can bring, we'll need to genny it up and the like, but, basically [b]we're looking for Armenian DJS, and other Armenians to get their HYE ON playa-style.[/b]

So who's in!? Throw your name in the hat!!

<3
Miko
miko

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Syncytium!

Re: Armenian DJ Setup at Syncytium

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 16, 2012 4:34 pm

You do know that there are a lot of gay people at Burning Man, right?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm

JK, are you implying that there aren't any gay Armenians or stating that there are, because I honestly can't quite connect your response with a request for Armenian DJs...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby International Incident » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I've been to Armenia and I have a fantastic range of alt-country sounds - can I DJ?

I can tear it up with a mix of The Jayhawks, The Band and Emmylou Harris. I'll have the crowd shaking their cowboy boots.

And JK, I'm also confused, much like Eric.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Eric wrote:JK, are you implying that there aren't any gay Armenians or stating that there are, because I honestly can't quite connect your response with a request for Armenian DJs...

I know several gay Armenians. That being said, I know many more straight ones and they are all extremely homophobic. (I'm not sure homophobic is the right word...unless it also means gay hating fag bashers.)

So, I was just phishing, I guess.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Eric » Wed May 16, 2012 9:05 pm

jkisha wrote:
Eric wrote:JK, are you implying that there aren't any gay Armenians or stating that there are, because I honestly can't quite connect your response with a request for Armenian DJs...

I know several gay Armenians. That being said, I know many more straight ones and they are all extremely homophobic. (I'm not sure homophobic is the right word...unless it also means gay hating fag bashers.)

I'm not sure that the assumption that just because someone is Armenian they're more likely to be a "gay hating fag bashers" is any different than the assumption that just because someone is gay they're someone you have the right to bash. The OP said nothing about gays at all, just that (he?) wanted to have Armenian DJs in the camp. :roll:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

So, would mentioning the genocide be invoking a turkish offshoot of godwin's law?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Eric wrote:
jkisha wrote:

I'm not sure that the assumption that just because someone is Armenian they're more likely to be a "gay hating fag bashers" is any different than the assumption that just because someone is gay they're someone you have the right to bash. The OP said nothing about gays at all, just that (he?) wanted to have Armenian DJs in the camp. :roll:

Let's wait for the original poster to answer that question.
JK
Elderberry

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu May 17, 2012 8:01 am

and here I thought ALL DJs are gay, regardless of nationality...
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elderberry » Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 am

oneeyeddick wrote:and here I thought ALL DJs are gay, regardless of nationality...

Only the good ones.
JK
Elderberry

Postby Bob » Thu May 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Now there's tautology for you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elderberry » Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Bob wrote:Now there's tautology for you.

That was funny!
JK
Elderberry

Postby miko » Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 pm

jkisha wrote:You do know that there are a lot of gay people at Burning Man, right?

Wow -- that's an unwelcome bit of racism there. Thanks, I guess? Probably not so much room for that on eplaya. Actually the first time in my 28 years that I've ever been discriminated against based on my ethnicity, and it comes on eplaya of all places. Maybe consider filtration of stereotypes prior to response in the future...

melaniejane wrote:I've been to Armenia and I have a fantastic range of alt-country sounds - can I DJ?

Melanie -- I'd be totally open to that!! We're really just putting feelers out there right now. The idea really just came from the fact that everything seems to have collapsed in some massive way organizationally this year, and it seems like a decent time to throw artistic convention to the wind and do something just for the shit of it. Are you open-camping or with a theme camp?

Eric wrote:The OP said nothing about gays at all, just that (he?) wanted to have Armenian DJs in the camp. :roll:

Eric -- thanks for "keeping it real", as the kids say :)
miko

Postby Elderberry » Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I wasn't discriminating, stereotyping maybe. But mostly Just checking to see if the stereotype was true or not.
JK
Elderberry

Postby miko » Wed May 23, 2012 12:41 am

Wait, you're going to (or have been to) Burning Man? You know there are loving and open-minded people there who don't propagate ridiculous stereotypes and claim that they're just testing to see whether they hold up, right?

Stereotyping, discrimination, whatever you want to call it -- it's racism.
miko

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed May 23, 2012 4:02 am

Fags come in all colors nowadays, no need to be racist about it!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 23, 2012 9:57 am

Stereotypes are stereotypicle for a reason. :wink:
JK
Elderberry

Postby lemur » Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 am

as a proud member of the gay race..

i just want to congratulate Armenia with their decriminalization of homosexual behavior..

Homosexuality has been legal in Armenia since 2003. However, even though it has been decriminalized, the situation of local lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) citizens has not changed substantially. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Armenia

oddly enough.. it happened in the same year that the United States decriminalized it.. 2003..

A Texas law classifying consensual, adult homosexual intercourse as illegal sodomy violated the privacy and liberty of adults to engage in private intimate conduct under the 14th Amendment. The Supreme Court voted 6–3 to strike down the Texas law, with five of the justices holding that it violated due process guarantees, and a sixth justice, Sandra Day O'Connor, found that it violated equal protection guarantees. The majority opinion, which overruled Bowers v. Hardwick, implicitly invalidated similar laws in 13 other states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_v._Texas

s0o.. while it is a shame that it was a crime in Armenia..and that there is social stigma against it.... the United States doesnt appear to have done much better ...and we also have plenty of social stigma against it..

we neednt single out Armenia ! we have plenty of it right at home !!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Elderberry » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

Lemur--you're GAY! :shock: I didn't know.

Anyway...I live in, I believe, the second largest gay ghetto outside of San Francisco--West Hollywood. So my perceptions and expectations are a bit different than for someone living in the mid-west or central parts of the country; it's especially egregious hearing slurs and threats in this part of town and it is almost always by an Armenian or a Russian immigrant or one of their children. And it's especially disturbing when it occurs during the High Homo Holidays, like gay pride for instance. So, call it racist, I'm just reporting what I have experienced with my own two eyes and ears in my own back yard.
JK
Elderberry

Postby miko » Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Jkisha -- understood. I'm a Detroit Armenian myself, and my family's been in the country for a 100 years as of 2012. Some would consider me more of an American than an Armenian, but my blood and roots run deep back to the Caucusus, and many of us still identify strongly with that heritage.

Anyway, not looking to spawn any hate or gay-bashing, just some good tunes and celebration of the life that our grandparents and great-grandparents died and fought to allow us to have in this amazing and country. And what better place to celebrate life than on the playa?
miko

Postby iguanajan » Thu May 31, 2012 11:41 pm

Soooo Detroit :)

I live in the bay area, I just returned home from an Armenian event, and thought GOshhh are there any Armenian Burners out there, I search and find this thread.

i am very much involved with the burner community here and in-fact with the burning man org, and their volunteer departments.

I HAVE TO ADmit very sad/angry to see all the gayphobic talk, but I simply ignored it, dude that is everywhere Armenia, RUssia, Italy, Iran, China, name a place where people are not homophobic, it will take a world a long time to understand the principals of homosexuality, it is not weasy. Educating people is the only way.

Now back to my cool finding, there are Armenian DJs in detroit!!!
Let me know how I can help, starting to have an Armenian theme camp or something similar is pretty awesome, I know some other folks that come from LA. but they usually do their own things, I can put you in touch with them. I am pretty excited.

my email is : a d i b o o d i (AT) that gmail website
iguanajan

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:19 am

I think it's probably good that people are talking about it, talking it out. There's definitely some history and some stereotypes to get past, and it could be that miko's camp is just the thing that's needed to move things forward.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby miko » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:54 am

iguanajan -- yo man.

Haha -- glad that you found this thread. Sounds as though there's some small amount of redemption for you here. Anyway...

Indeed!! I'll shoot you an email shortly. Right now we're at a grand total of two (maybe three), four if I can dig up the name/email of a guy from Philly who I ran into at the BWB camp on playa last year. Anyway, please put me in touch with your friends!! We're going to be a fairly ecclectic camp this year. We've officially applied as an art support camp (we're building a HUGE maze), but we're doing the Armenian DJ thing and we'll have plenty of infra and other accoutrements to keep camp itself comfy and interesting. Everything's still shaping up as right now we're focusing primarily on Lakes of Fire, the Great Lakes Regional burn (and bringing a HUGE sound system and a full healing node out there), but you'll see plenty more from me here as we progress.

We're a fairly international camp with groups from the US, UK and Canada (and maybe some other places,we'll see...) and a really loving family. It's a pretty wonderful thing all in all.

Okay, lots of brain-dumping there. I'll shoot you an email. We'll chat :)

<3
Miko
miko

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:59 am

Kisha you Idiot, EVERYBODY knows that the TURKS are Bigger Fags than You.

they're just acknowledging that now.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I don't know any Turks personally to either confirm or disavow your statement.
JK
Elderberry

Return to 2012 Theme Camps