Theme Camp Question

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Theme Camp Question

Postby Comrade Bunny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm going to Burning Man in 2013. My sister has asked me to organize and design a theme camp. We have a theme and a loose blueprint. What I would like to get feedback on is one of our interactive elements. The thing is, I'm worried about someone "taking" my idea and using it for 2012. Does that kind of thing ever happen (I've never been to Burning Man myself, but my sister has). I welcome insight. Help please.
"This is good, old-fashioned, nightmare fuel." -Crow T. Robot
Comrade Bunny

Re: Theme Camp Question

Postby TomServo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 pm

We've had two christmas camps, two roller discos and probably many more twin camps out there. If you're really worried about it, don't talk about it. Then again..it may have been done before. Just make it yours and have fun with it.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Comrade Bunny » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Thanks. I'm happy that twin camps are allowed. Huge weight off my shoulders.

Our theme is based on various Minnesota "customs." Camping and bonfires are part of the Minnesota experience. So, we're going to build a small stage with a fake bonfire in front of it. The stage will be utilized by storytellers and the sing-a-long leader. Each night will have a different performance theme (ex. ghost stories). Now on to the questions.

1. Is it hard to get other people to perform in a theme camp? I'm performing, but I'd like some variety.

2. Do you think this is something that could gather an audience.

3. Is dusk a good time to start? If not, when?

4. Is there a camp size limit?
Comrade Bunny

Postby Trishntek » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Comrade Bunny wrote:Thanks. I'm happy that twin camps are allowed. Huge weight off my shoulders.

Our theme is based on various Minnesota "customs." Camping and bonfires are part of the Minnesota experience. So, we're going to build a small stage with a fake bonfire in front of it. The stage will be utilized by storytellers and the sing-a-long leader. Each night will have a different performance theme (ex. ghost stories). Now on to the questions.

1. Is it hard to get other people to perform in a theme camp? I'm performing, but I'd like some variety.
It is directly proportional to the amount of mind altering substances consumed.

Go out on the street and offer cocksucking,,, works for me!

Most burners are eating dinner and washing up and getting costumes on for the night. I wouldn't bother any earlier than 8PM.

4. Is there a camp size limit? NO, except to be placed, you must be greater than FIVE members.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby zifra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 pm

It depends on what yo mean by perform. You can always drag someone off the street to share a story. If yu want a rehearsed theatrical performance you should arrange campers before the event.

A audience, definately. How large will depend on how big the show is, and what kind of placement you receive.

BRC is a 24 hour a day place. Busier from 2 or 3 pm to 3 am or so. Take a look at tis years calendar for an idea of when things happen.

4. Is there a camp size limit? Only as large as you can make happen. However the more you add to your camp, the more complicated it becomes. I tend to keep my camp to about 20, any more is a lot of work!
Zifra
100'th Monkey Camp
G at 8:45
Black Rock City 2012

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"
zifra

Postby trilobyte » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:10 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could look at it as whatever you've done has probably already been done before (all art is theft), or nobody could possibly do what you're going to do the way you guys are going to do it (unique and special snowflakes and all that). :)

I think getting others to participate has a lot to do with the host or hostess, and of course the location. A good host/hostess can get people to volunteer to do things they would never consider doing otherwise, where a bad one can beg and plead all day and the audience/passers-by will do their best to ignore him/her. Location may also matter - if you're looking to get people passing on the street to get involved or join the audience, aim for a space along one of the avenues or closer to the Esplanade. Those have higher foot traffic, so you're likely to get more people.

Good luck with the project :-)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 pm

trilobyte wrote: You could look at it as whatever you've done has probably already been done before (all art is theft), or nobody could possibly do what you're going to do the way you guys are going to do it (unique and special snowflakes and all that).

http://www.austinkleon.com/2011/03/30/how-to-steal-like-an-artist-and-9-other-things-nobody-told-me/
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Comrade Bunny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 am

We'd like to attract storytellers.
Comrade Bunny

Postby zifra » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Put a post in the theme camp area announcing your camp and asking for storytellers. The make signs for center camp and the various public billboards. In my experience the closer we get to the event the more people come on eplaya and look for ways to participate. I might also suggest posting on the various Craigslist sites and any story type boards out there.

Good luck!

Zifra
Zifra
100'th Monkey Camp
G at 8:45
Black Rock City 2012

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"
zifra

Postby Comrade Bunny » Thu May 03, 2012 1:59 am

Thank you for the great advice.