February 2012 Theme Camp Forum Notes

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

February 2012 Theme Camp Forum Notes

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 pm

I was able to make it to last night's Theme Camp Forum held at BMHQ, and took a few notes. I understand that audio from the event was recorded, and will be made available online soon.

Theme Camp Forum 2/15/12

As has been announced elsewhere, the open sale is canceled. Volunteers will get the first purchase option (at $390), then placed camps/mutant vehicles next purchase option (also at $390).

Not all camps will get the opportunity to purchase tickets for their core members. The criteria used to judge which camps is based on
- the ten principles
- past history
- demonstrated community benefit
- leave no trace (MOOP map)

Fill out the theme camp questionnaire before March 8th, they'll use it to make their determinations. Using the last 10 years of theme camp data, some camps have already been pre-selected (pre-selected camps are NOT being notified, they must fill out their questionnaires to get the ball rolling). Placement won't be waiting until March 8th to responding to camps. Questionnaires should be filled out by person you feel qualified to represent your camp and your camp's needs.

Placement is making their determination of how many tickets based on early arrivals balanced against how many estimated are needed to run the camp, and how many are estimated to be needed to tear down and LNT. Mutant vehicles are a part of this, though they will be looking at camps and vehicles to make sure camps with an art car don't get an unfair ticket advantage over other camps. Camps with resources shared with another camp (ie shared power, etc) should contact placement@burningman.com after submitting their questionnaires (include camp name in the subject line).

How many theme camps do they expect will benefit? Guesstimate is less than 50%, maybe 500-ish

============================================================================================
Tips For A Successful Theme Camp Questionnaire
presented by HepKitten

• Who should fill it out? A key person! Not the sparklepony newbie who doesn't have any answers, your contact needs to be able to answer questions and make decisions and possibly determine who in the camp gets tickets. That person needs to be available by email/phone from the time the question is submitted until placement is announced. Not necessarily 24/7, but don't have your contact be the person going to africa for 3 months :-)
  • Pretend that you have no clue who your placer is, that they don't know anything about your camp, that you haven't been coming for ten years
  • Interaction - most important! Be specific, vague is bad. Use enthusiasm, show us your personality, don't be dry.
  • Please consider the placers - don't use all caps, do use punctuation, make it as easy to read and understand as possible
  • Camp plans - make sure you mark what's the frontage on your map. Account for all your space, so you can contain your whole camp within the camp (no 'we'll just park the rest of the cars by the porta-potties). Make sure your plan has all your big things on it (domes, major structures, etc). Include containers, specify container info if it's a container through Burning Man.
  • RV Fortresses - please consider decorating the sides of outer-facing RV 'walls' (paint murals on sheets, etc). Plan your front yard/front facing public space, and plan your back yard/private space.
  • If your camp's name is changing, INCLUDE THAT INFO! If you need to send something to placement, use placement@burningman.com and the team will see it. MAKE SURE that you have your camp name in your subject line or at the start of your email.
  • Who should be on the early arrivals team? Only you can decide that, but please make sure it's essential people who are familiar with your camp's plans. Try not to send the sparklepony who doesn't have answers about any questions to meet with your placer.
  • Do the right thing.

Questions:
How does size affect placement/location? Where you're placed doesn't have any relation to how big you are. It does have something to do with how much you're doing. If you want that premium placement for a big camp, you need to be doing a lot.
When will you know when you'll be placed and how big you've got? Beginning of July
Can we request camps that we'd like to be near/adjacent? YES - put it in the special comments section, they'll do their best to accommodate. Big camps who need to be near specific camps should seriously consider forming a village. CLARIFY when it's a want (we like them) or a need (we share a generator).
Do you estimate what you're going to do, or only list what you know you can do? Definitely include what you know, and mention what you're working to try to accomplish. Make your best estimates now, if you have to update the info at a later date, email placement@burningman.com with your camp name and what's changing

Interaction Is Important! Camps need to do more, even the old school long-time camps.

============================================================================================
Early Arrival Passes
presented by Sweet Thing

Passes may look different this year. Fill out questionnaires and include that info, be realistic.

Placement needs to know when you're on the playa, and they really want to meet you. Camp names are not on flags, they assign random numbers and don't tell you in advance. Make sure that gate/greeters radio to your placer. No overnight placing this year

Do not trade/barter/sell EA passes

Gate
presented by Miss Roach

How do you get through the gate more quickly? HAVE ALL YOUR PAPERWORK READY! Mutant vehicle paperwork should travel with the vehicle! Tickets, early arrivals, and any other necessary paperwork for gate should be ready when you get to the gate.

Pack with gate in mind - don't put all your water in the door well of your van, or pack your stuff in a way that gate inspection trashes your art project, etc. Help direct the gate inspector as they dig through the truck (you can step here, here, and here... etc).

Questions:
What about shift changes? They cause horrible waits in line. Gate is working on speeding up shift changes
What about a carpool lane? It's something they looked at, but not something they can implement. They've worked with traffic management experts, and it's just not feasible.
Can we volunteer? If you want to work gate/perimeter, go to gate.burningman.com and fill out an application

Nevada Health Department
presented by Joseph Pred

Myths about health department being really hard to deal with are just that...myth. If you're gifting food to the public, even for a couple hours one afternoon... you need a permit. Big camp kitchens (125+ people) you need a permit. Even if you are not a registered camp, if you are serving food,.... you need a permit.

Side note - Tuna Guys working closely with Health Department this year.

New things will be coming out - big legislative review (within the health department) to try and simplify the process. They're working to improve the process. Theme camps can expect to receive announcements (and JRS mention) when those changes and improvements are made. Current info is available here.

Questions:
Does the health department does do inspections on the playa? Yes. They just want to make sure food safety practices are being enforced, and educate camps.
Does the permit requirement depend on the size of the camp? No, it matters how many people the kitchen is serving.
Can you get a permit on-site? No - you must apply for permits in advance.
Will placers tell camps when a permit is needed? No, theme camps are expected to do that work themselves

Leave No Trace
presented by Rosalie

Make sure that you're leaving no trace as you leave Nevada, not just the playa. Reports last year of trash being dumped in adjacent towns and counties. Questions about exodus/LNT? Send to rosalie@burningman.com

Playa Restoration
presented by DA

MOOP - (lots of examples cited) - it's EVERYTHING

Be mindful of what's going to the burn platform. Don't overload them. Playa restoration is getting really granular, woodchips and feathers and other tiny bits. Get it all!

Moopsticks (arm-length grabbers) - great tools for camps to clean their space

Deliveries And Outside Resources
presented by Jeff

Check Theme Camps And Villages Resource Guide for detailed info.

You can go to gate to meet delivery person to accept delivery. You can do in and out pass and go out to accept delivery.

Delivery passes are intended for transportation companies & established businesses - email outsideservices@burningman.com (or check the site)

HAVE THE VENDOR contact outside services! Delivery passes are for delivery/trucking companies. The passes will cost something, fees still being worked out. There is a separate gate lane for deliveries being planned.

Nightclubs On The Playa
presented by Jeff and Ranger Tool

Focus on creating a safe environment on the playa.

Starting Monday before the event, services will start at ESD home base 9 o'clock. Additional station at 3 o'clock during the event

• Sound is a big factor in situations rangers need to mediate - be mindful of where your speakers are placed and pointing.
  • Rangers defer to placement when it comes to camp boundaries
  • People throwing MOOP into other camps
In large camp spaces, there are additional problems and concerns/considerations:
  • If you've got a large camp, send some members over to get some training with the rangers before the event (even if they don't become a ranger)
  • Have a couple staffers, usually in pairs, who are sober and walking the event just to make sure things are going smoothly or people aren't getting into trouble
  • Have a safety plan that reflects the unique elements of your camp
  • Have a unique marker out in front of your camp, make it easy to find you... makes it easy for rangers or ESD to find you if necessary
  • Have a shutdown plan... ie - if your speaker stack catches fire, how do you shut the party down and disperse the crowd
  • How to call for help - MURS VHF radios cost about $100 and give you a direct line for reaching rangers/ESD
Rangers usually don't start on the playa until the weekend before the event, this year they will try to start up services on the Monday prior to the event

911@burningman.com - email address for outside ppl to contact rangers in case of emergency
Include name (and playa name), camp name, camp location, possibly picture or description of signage. Something better than 'Bob, driving a white truck and with a blue tarp' :) A mailbox in front of camp is an excellent idea. All messages also go to playa info - if you're worried about a family member, you can check with playa info

911@burningman.com for more info/questions

Plug & Play Camping
presented by Harley Dubois and Terry Schoop

Highly organized well funded camps that basically provide all the services for the campers. Initial impressions were that they were just supporting 'tourist' camps, but that is not necessarily the case, they often provide infrastructure/support for bigger and more involved projects and playa art.

More info about this will be coming...

Sound
presented by Sweet Thing

Sound in the city - be respectful of your neighbors, pay attention to speaker placement and direction they're throwing sound.

Heavy Equipment
presented by Sweet Thing

Too much reliance on DPW's equipment, they're unable to keep up with the demands. If you're building a massive infrastructure, be reliant enough to be able to do that.

Fuel Safety
presented by Dave X

Have a fuel handling and fuel safety plan, fire extinguishers, etc. Have a plan for a minor fire, have a plan for a major fire. Just writing it down and sending it to campmates gets you and campmates gets people thinking about safety.

They are working on some guidelines for fuel handlingstorage/safety
They are also working longer-term towards a municpal utility model, so camps don't need to store massive amounts of fuel.

People looking for info re: sharing resources & alternative energy… check the 2012 Share Resources board, post your needs and connect with others.

Questions regarding fuel - fuel@burningman.com
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: February 2012 Theme Camp Forum Notes

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Here is the link to the audio recording + slides of the February 15th Theme Camp Placement Forum.

There is a password to access the recording.
Password: Tcamp5
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks Trilo!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby hotmess » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks!!! This is really helpful! Is making me re think this whole thing. Who would have thunk it.
hotmess

Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby hotmess » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:28 pm

I am a bit confused. Applications for theme camps to receive the last 10k tickets are open till March 8th. So that means the entire 10k have not been distributed. I am just so unsure of what is going on right now as I have read from some that all the tickets have already been distributed and that they have not. Can anyone give me a concrete answer. Many thanks.
hotmess

Postby JStep » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Requesting a mod please sticky this.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:25 pm

hotmess wrote:I am a bit confused. Applications for theme camps to receive the last 10k tickets are open till March 8th. So that means the entire 10k have not been distributed. I am just so unsure of what is going on right now as I have read from some that all the tickets have already been distributed and that they have not. Can anyone give me a concrete answer. Many thanks.

From Trilobytes notes above:
Using the last 10 years of theme camp data, some camps have already been pre-selected (pre-selected camps are NOT being notified, they must fill out their questionnaires to get the ball rolling). Placement won't be waiting until March 8th to responding to camps.

Even the camps that the Org "pre-selected" need to fill out their placement applications, and they do not know they've been pre-selected. If they gave up & don't bother with the questionnaire, they probably won't get those tickets (I'm not with Placement, I'm theorizing based on the notes above)

As far as I know, none of the tickets have been distributed yet. Fill out your request like you normally would, read the notes above to make sure you're paying attention to the details they'll be looking for in camps that get awarded tickets.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

@hotmess - tickets are not already distributed. Theme camps who want to participate MUST GET THEIR QUESTIONNAIRES IN. I thought that was clear in my notes, but I'll say it again…. FILL OUT THE THEME CAMP QUESTIONNAIRE BEFORE MARCH 8TH!

@JStep - announcement trumps sticky thread, this won't move from the top of the page.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Trishntek » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 pm

@Trilobyte, Thanks for emphasizing the March 8th deadline. For some reason that did not jump out at me until I contacted placement. So it is my understanding that:

1) Placement has already selected which camps are receiving the opportunity to buy a given amount of tickets and,
2) Even though they have been pre-selected, those camps must have their questionnaire sent in by March 8th to be eligible.

So that begs the question, "If a pre-selected camp does not apply by the deadline, will their tickets be made available to the next camp on the list? Or will those tickets be made available to open sale?" That is more of a curiosity than anything pertaining to what I really need to know.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby hotmess » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks Eric and Trilo for clearing this up. I will be sending it it by the 8th.
hotmess

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Trishntek wrote:@Trilobyte, Thanks for emphasizing the March 8th deadline. For some reason that did not jump out at me until I contacted placement. So it is my understanding that:

1) Placement has already selected which SOME camps are receiving for the opportunity to buy a given amount of tickets and,
2) Even though they have been pre-selected, those camps must have their questionnaire sent in by March 8th to be eligible.

So that begs the question, "If a pre-selected camp does not apply by the deadline, will their tickets be made available to the next camp on the list? Or will those tickets be made available to open sale?" That is more of a curiosity than anything pertaining to what I really need to know.

Fixed.

My guess (I'm not with Placement or in on these decisions) is that they would either go to a qualified camp or volunteer, or be put into STEP. Not all camps who will be awarded tickets opportunities were pre-selected, only some of them, based on the published criteria (I would assume) and what the Org feels they contribute to the atmosphere of the event.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Trishntek » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 pm

gotcha
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby JStep » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:40 pm

trilobyte wrote:@JStep - announcement trumps sticky thread, this won't move from the top of the page.

Thanks, I realized my mistake after posting but thought it would be cheap to edit it, so I left my stupidity out there for all to see. :mrgreen:
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:46 am

Not that my 2 cents is worth more than any one else's two cents but:

The Placers know the regular theme camps in their areas. I know Rev Bloodshot and HepKitten know our area. They've been doing us since we were a theme camp. WEEEEEE
Um, so, I would think that the number of tickets a camp 'needs' would be very close to the number of EA passes they request or get. Theme Camps are supposed to be up and running by Monday, though neither of our neighbors last year were even close to being ready, so that means the number of folks to make a camp ready to go is equal to the EA passes.

I know there is more to camps than just setting up, but this would be a good place to start.....JMHO
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby HandJamMasterC » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 am

Trilo, will the placers be sending theme camps an inquiry on how many ( if any ) tickets we need, and when might we expect that email ? Just curious. There is a lot of anxiety amongst the core members of our theme camp that do not have tickets ( and I imagine most other theme camps too ).

Thanks.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 am

After your camp has submitted its completed questionnaire, you should hear back by or before March 8th if your camp will be able to get any tickets through placement.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Collieman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 am

Do you have to obtain a permit from the Nevada Health Dept. to serve ice with beverages?
Collieman

Camp Name: Happy Hour

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:34 am

I'm pretty sure you do. The basic requirement for ice is to have it in a cooler without other things it in (keep beer and soft drink cans in a different cooler) and use a scoop to get the ice out of the cooler. Keep the scoop out of the cooler when it's not scooping. I think that's to make sure that you don't put your hands (contaminated with whatever) into the ice you are serving others.
I'd double check on the requirements, but I think that's the basic outline. And I would hate to waste any of my time on the playa dealing with food poisoning. Not the sort of gift I'd like to give. Oh, and I was in a bar camp for four years, so it's a working knowledge, not just something I read in 2008.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:23 am

Collieman wrote:Do you have to obtain a permit from the Nevada Health Dept. to serve ice with beverages?

no.

if youll be cutting up fresh fruit for drinks this might be something youll want to look at getting, though the rules/expectations change slightly year to year..

if youre serving alcohol, with sealed mixers (sodas, juices*, etc) and ice you should not need any permit.

of course, asking us isnt the best place to find the info... you should be confirming it for yourself..

*shelf stable stuff, from small cans is preferable as you neednt keep these cold and thats a thing the health dept is worried about (edit!)

http://health.nv.gov/BFHS_EHS.htm

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... althy.html

oh! and i have had to get health permits before at burning man, and when our bar needed to prepare large amounts of fresh fruit for drinks we had to do it in our permitted kitchen, so it's a working knowledge, not just something i read (in 2008) ;-)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Collieman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 am

Thank you for the quick responses. Lemur thanks for the links, they're quite helpful. RASpects!
Collieman

Camp Name: Happy Hour

Return to 2012 Theme Camps