The Green Hour 2012

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

The Green Hour 2012

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Black Rock City, 1917:The WWI flying ace dips his whiskers in his mug of root beer while Loosie, the lovely barmaid, eyes him mischievously and pours another absinthe. It's a long way from Tipperary... Suddenly, a tri-plane appears overhead. Curse you, Red Baron!!!

Come dunk your whiskers in an ice cold root beer!

The hour before sunset is The Green Hour. Taste the green fairy, sample the organic herbs and ingredients, discuss its peculiar history and learn historical and contemporary preparations of Hemingway's favorite muse. "Got tight on absinthe last night... did knife tricks." ...ohman.... what we need is a piano, so we can throw knives at it! What could go wrong?

Please mind the cannon.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: The Green Hour 2012

Postby Galaxo Magic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Beau le'Phant and crew will be sure to come by for a frothy cup of root beer!

Curse you Red Baron!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Sounds like awesomeness that I must attend :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Galaxo Magic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I love the profile pic lucky420. It proves that a picture IS worth a thousand words!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 pm

The Absinthe drinker.jpg
The Absinthe drinker.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

I have often wanted to meet the Green Fairy but our paths have never crossed. Perhaps they will while enjoying the Playa sunset this year.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:26 am

Perhaps....
Camp Upsie Dasium also had an Absinthe tasting party one afternoon. It was another camp, we had shade, power and music and they set up. It was awesome! Hope to do that again this year.
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:15 am

Ever been to the Sun Valley Lodge in Idaho? I won a ski trip to Sun Valley and was told Hemingway used to stay in room 22, right down the hall from our room.

The lodge is a timeless place and the bar there had a three piece band (Cello and Violin and Piano) we learned the fox trot and a few other dances. There's also a bowling alley in the basement, the swimming pool is heated to over 100 degrees (great to swim in that hot water after skiing) & they have the best POTATOES!

The Green Hour sounds like a Hemingway book title Zaphoid Burner.

We'll look for you at The Green Hour...and we have a red airplane...wanna go up? (we'll just need to untie the tent from the plane first, no joke... :lol: )
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:19 am

moonrise wrote:...& they have the best POTATOES!

Finally, something "en theme".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The CO » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

Did they change the theme to 'Irish Famine'?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:30 am

The CO wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Did they change the theme to 'Irish Famine'?

Where have you been, silly boy. I was granted a vision. Larry Harvey descended from heaven surrounded by a cloud of glory and riding on a crescent moon. He told me that the theme for this year is "Potatoes". He also said that "Polka" goes with any theme...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 am

moonrise wrote:Ever been to the Sun Valley Lodge in Idaho? I won a ski trip to Sun Valley and was told Hemingway used to stay in room 22, right down the hall from our room.

We'll look for you at The Green Hour...and we have a red airplane...wanna go up? (we'll just need to untie the tent from the plane first, no joke... :lol: )

Wasn't aware the Hemingway made it as far west as Idaho. Interesting.

Red is the best color for an airplane and BRC is the best place to see one. What are you flying?
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Hemingway lived in Ketchum, Idaho. Probably for the excellent fishing & beautiful country and the fantastic skiing. There's a great old blk & white movie called: Sun Valley Serenade that plays all day for free, next to the S.V. Lodge. (wiki both Hemingway & also the movie) The ice skating scene toward the end of the movie is incredible, done on wet mirror-like ice, magical looking on the big screen at that theater!

There's a restaurant in Ketchup, Idaho (more ketchup for my Idaho potatoes please, the locals loved that when we got drunk and yelled this in the streets,lol) that holds trout in a cage in the river done with a trap door in the floor, talk about fresh trout! Also, there's another food joint in Ketchum that has HUUUUGE baked potatoes!

The plane belongs to some long lost freinds I re-connected with just before the 2011 burn, It's a fuel effcient 4 seater type of Cesna with a raked style, 1970's model. They took me flying over BRC for my Birthday (lucky me, my bday is during burn week!). They think their camp may not happen in '12 and told me they'll probably tent it next to the plane! Haha, sorry, but it just seems idk, kinda funny that they can tent it next to the plane. At least I'll be able to find them if the city is a mish mash.

Love The Green Hour...we'll look for ya'!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 pm

ZaphodBurner

Postby Galaxo Magic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:45 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:

So, Vader shoots down Luke again......
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Jgladdy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Awesome - is the name of the camp the green hour? or is it just the event name?
Jgladdy

Postby ZaphodBurner » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Jgladdy wrote:Awesome - is the name of the camp the green hour? or is it just the event name?

Thanks! The Green Hour is the camp name, and also the event. It's the hour(ish) right before sunset, when the dust has settled and the temperature is perfect, and the miscellaneous neon lights--I always notice the blue crosses--begin to stand out above the city with the mountains behind them turning the colors of fire.

The green lamp on the bar means the fairy is present. We donated a gallon of strawberry pantydropper absinthe to the DPW in 2010 and I realized that somebody gave them the unsweetened stuff which was meant to be served with root beer. So it was about 70% ABV. I hope it didn't kill them. They drink antifreeze and diesel anyway so probably not.
ZaphodBurner

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:57 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
Jgladdy wrote:Awesome - is the name of the camp the green hour? or is it just the event name?

Thanks! The Green Hour is the camp name, and also the event. It's the hour(ish) right before sunset, when the dust has settled and the temperature is perfect, and the miscellaneous neon lights--I always notice the blue crosses--begin to stand out above the city with the mountains behind them turning the colors of fire.

BRB, daydream . . .

Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ninzy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Yay lets all dress up as green faeries too
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby pink » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:58 pm

moonrise wrote:Hemingway lived in Ketchum, Idaho. Probably for the excellent fishing & beautiful country and the fantastic skiing. There's a great old blk & white movie called: Sun Valley Serenade that plays all day for free, next to the S.V. Lodge. (wiki both Hemingway & also the movie) The ice skating scene toward the end of the movie is incredible, done on wet mirror-like ice, magical looking on the big screen at that theater!

There's a restaurant in Ketchup, Idaho (more ketchup for my Idaho potatoes please, the locals loved that when we got drunk and yelled this in the streets,lol) that holds trout in a cage in the river done with a trap door in the floor, talk about fresh trout! Also, there's another food joint in Ketchum that has HUUUUGE baked potatoes!

The plane belongs to some long lost freinds I re-connected with just before the 2011 burn, It's a fuel effcient 4 seater type of Cesna with a raked style, 1970's model. They took me flying over BRC for my Birthday (lucky me, my bday is during burn week!). They think their camp may not happen in '12 and told me they'll probably tent it next to the plane! Haha, sorry, but it just seems idk, kinda funny that they can tent it next to the plane. At least I'll be able to find them if the city is a mish mash.

Love The Green Hour...we'll look for ya'!

Your friends should camp at the BRC Country Club and Golf Course. They requested placement out by the airport. Thought it was appropriate. :)
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

Savannah wrote:BRB, daydream . . .

Indeed. Wow. I just totally checked out for a minute there. Thank you!

We're already working but we're still fishing for one ticket to make the camp happen. One of our core group won the lottery for two tickets but they messed up the order and only sold her one. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find ONE ticket to Burning Man before August. My absinthe herb supplier in PDX went Tango Uniform so I have to find a new local source of Roman wormwood (a.pontica. There are actually two types of wormwood in real absinthe)

It's nuts. There are 20 places to buy marijuana in Oregon for every real "herb store" so it's easier to get weed in PDX than green anise or citron peel.
ZaphodBurner

Return to 2012 Theme Camps