Is Your Theme Camp Now Missing Most of its Members?

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Is Your Theme Camp Now Missing Most of its Members?

Postby PapaBear2120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:43 am

There's a lot of talk on the ticketing forum about how many theme camps have 40-90% of their members without tickets. The STEP program hasn't taken place yet, so this might be a little preemptive, but I'm curious to see how many established theme camps are now unable to do their camp.

I'm out of Eugene, OR and I've coordinated RevoFuckinLution (and CarboFuckiNation in '07) for the past 4 years. None of our major backbone, the people you rely on, those 10% that do 90% of the work, got tickets. From what I've heard, the Triceratops Art Car camp is about in the same boat. BRC Mobility, who were planning on creating a bus route for alter-abled, called me and told me they are also having the same issue.

Furthermore, our camp has always relied on camp dues to make it happen. We don't have a few financial backers. We need a certain amount of people to make it happen, which requires the organization of those that are wiling to work their asses off to create that space for others to come in to work and play. Until we see if STEP pans out, none of those people are going; therefore, no theme camp.

I'm not creating this thread to be another "I didn't get a ticket" bitch session.

I'm creating this thread to check in with established theme camps. It took me two months to find 4 tickets at face value last year after the Burn sold out. That was a hell of a lot of hours online searching for a ticket to pop up.

Are you an established theme camp that doesn't think it's going to be able to set up this year? Were you planning on starting your first theme camp this year, but now you don't think you can?
Maybe you can even post what location you're based in to try and draw in some members (but I know how hard it can be to let in 20-30 people you don't know that don't live in the same city. Theme camps do require a load of people who can easily make it to a centralized location to work on structure, art, etc. etc.).

Mostly I'm curious to see if any theme camps are actually able to pull it off. Is this going to be the year of five person theme camps that paint some plywood and call themselves something, without really being very interactive?

I've heard some people call it the "Year of the Spectator". Theme Camps, Art Cars, Art installations all require a dedicated work force. Spontaneous creation of Art and Camps would be awesome, but then again, will it just end up being a bunch of private camps in the middle of the desert with people looking for non-existent public camps to hang out in?

-Papa Bear
RevoFuckinLution

p.s. there's a lot of hypothetical questions in here. If you do post your thoughts on these, also remember to put in the information about what Theme Camp you're from and your current status is. That's the main point :roll:
I'm only an asshole on the Playa. Especially when you give me a megaphone.
PapaBear2120

Re: Is Your Theme Camp Now Missing Most of its Members?

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby PapaBear2120 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am

Lemur, followed your posts to see that DISTRIKT already posted something similar under the ticket threads discussion.
Anywho, I'll leave this up unless trylobyte want's to delete, which I won't be offended by.
PapaBear2120

Postby Dactyl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am

Yep and Yep. Bmorg has constantly treated theme camps like garbage..ours won't be showing if we only have less than 1/4 with tickets. I cringe to think what the esplanade, portals and A will look like this year...along with all the art those camps and other teams usually put out on the inner and outer playa. Maybe see you next year Bmorg..lemme know when you figure it out.
Dactyl

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 am

Camp DOA only got tickets for 50% of our core members. However, in our case, being a small bar theme camp, there are only 8 core members, so we only need to score 4 more tickets. We could pull off all our events with just 8 of us, but we had hoped for more new members this year. Most of those new members ( veteran Burners ) did not get tickets. Although 2 virgin Burners that are going to camp with us did get tickets.
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 pm

We are a new camp, Dye with Dignity, two of our 8 did not get tickets. Many more than that in our village (barbie death camp) did not get tickets.

We were working away on putting together our little camp when the ticketing system was announced and stopped us dead in our tracks. We are not rich and just could not justify spending our limited financial resources on something that really could only be used at burning man until we had tickets in hand. So I completely understand where you are coming from.

It will definitely be a different year out there.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

:roll:

Right now I think we have one, maybe two, of our core that have tickets.

Does that matter? HELL NYET!

(1) We got fuckloads of time and opportunities to get a ticket. Lotto failed? So what - we KNEW it would. Plan around it. Do the Harvey StubSTEP Dubstep. Phone a friend. Look on CL. Shit, VOLUNTEER WITH THE ORG. If you want it bad enough, I bet it might just happen... but it ain't gonna walk into your hands all by itself.

(2) Still short of people? SCALE BACK. Plan on less, make less do more. Can't do that? What kind of artist ARE you. If need be, we'll open a tent and run the Kantina out of it part time. Drag out a folding chair on the open playa, stake it down, hook up some battery electrodes to it, and teach people how to interrogate. PYEH!

(3) We are gonna have (apparently) 40,000+ BURGINS out there. RECRUIT THEM!!! Yeah, that's right - remember YOUR Burgin year? I do... and we built a fucking theme camp - no, THE fucking AWESOMIST theme camp - from SCRATCH that year. You want to build Burners out of Burgins? GET THEM INVOLVED, damnit.

I love my core, I will do anything I can to get them there, but I also realize they may not make it this year. I will STILL have the camp, if I don't, SOMEONE will... but abandon it? No way.

EVEN IF you have a huge structure camp (like Thunderdome or one of the sound camps) use the labor you can get to put it up and pull it down.

So start hitting up friends, get ready for STEP, get ready for March Madness, do what you can... because if you don't, then who's gonna do it?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 pm

4 out of 45 of the Mudskippers got tickets. (That's less than 10%)
The lottery was a great idea, just ask Maid Marian
Marian Goodell wrote:the lottery system may have not been the most effective way to distribute access. “We won't know how it's working until we get to the event and see if people are happy," spokeswoman Marian Goodell
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Papabear2010 (?), you should be aware of your typo. I know you are in pain, as we all are but in your post you said "It took me two months to find 4 tickets at face value last year after the Burn sold out. That was a hell of a lot of hours online searching for a ticket to pop up.". The event sold out only 5 weeks prior to gate opening. So you are over dramatizing.

That said, I have not heard of a single camp that has not been cut up by the 2012 Great Ticket Debacle. We fared better than most, about 80% of the core, about 50% of the rest of camp. And despite getting a ticket, I have been stressed and very unhappy the last few days as this has unfolded.

Greatest of luck to you, hopefully we will all be heading to the Playa this year.
Dr. G
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Sail Man » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 pm

The more and more I read about the clusterfuck that is this lottery system, the more I am glad I choose this year to sit out.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby PapaBear2120 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Galaxo Magic,

Mostly I want to respond because you're the second person to change my name to PapaBear2010. It's not a typo, it's the address of my home. 2120 is one of those houses that turns into a killer venue once a year or so when we throw large scale events at it. Been doing it for years and it's just what people call the house. But thanks for looking out!

Also you're right, sorta, I over dramatized, not intentionally, but I should of looked back at the actual dates before I posted. It certainly felt like 2 months. :wink: I honestly can't remember how long it took, but the general statement of the hours online searching were true. Was it 20 hours... a hundred? Who knows, it was last year. And it was chaos–much like this feels for everyone out there.

I don't know if "pain" is the right word. Stressed, unhappy, yes. We'll endure, even if it means creating a new event. I'll certainly miss Burning Man if it becomes almost impossible to ensure that a person can get face value tickets for the balance of their camp (and of course it's still possible to go even if an organized theme camp is ruled out). But, once again, I have this weird optimism (maybe it's just a numbness that's waiting to see what happens) that STEP might actually work; however, we won't know until it happens.

Anywho, I'm getting off the point that I stated I created this thread for.

Mostly I just wanted to make sure people didn't think my name was a typo, mostly.
PapaBear2120

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

2 people out of 20 in The Green Hour got tickets.

On the 18th we're having a meeting and we'll know whether we're going to bail, or risk investing in art that we won't be able to take to the playa.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:05 pm

OUR camp is always missing members... some miss arms, others legs, we even have occasional decapitations. Of visitors, we have caused number of them to lose their members... is rumored new Terminal City Kompound Swish Embassy were such Visitors to our Kompound...

Why would you to ask? do NOT to look at huge mass grave, er, playa scar behind kamp under parking gulag... is nyet business of yours. Have nice doom...
Lassen Forge

Postby wandergirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm part of a group that was super excited to band together & create a new theme camp.
7/23 got tickets. yeah. probably not happening.
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★
wandergirl

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: dust & stars

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:OUR camp is always missing members... some miss arms, others legs...

*raises arm*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wraith » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Sue, I'm really happy to see you so enthusiastic despite it all, but the 'do anything to get there' attitude of a lot of Burners is what's going to make this a very profitable season for the scalpers, just as they planned.
wraith

Burning Since: 2010

Postby larsonfarmer » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 am

just curious, home many people that didn't get tickets registered for the lowest tier?

I personally feel that after the last few posts this would be a very likely explanation of what seems to be going on.
I could be completely wrong, but if we all don't work together and make this BM something special then why even register for a ticket?

I knew I was going to buy a ticket regardless of the result of the lottery.
larsonfarmer

Postby scotto » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 am

As a 13yr Burner and the Benevolent Dictator of PolyParadise a 14 yr staple in BRC with 175+ campers and a $21,000 budget that is solely funded by camp fees…

I am hearing that only about 20 of our campers received tickets in the lottery, I was not one of them.

Without campers we have no money and without money we have no Theme Camp. I am not sure what the solution to this might be, we are hopeful that whatever ‘The Project’ can wrangle will be enough to calm the waters and make tickets available to my Theme Camp as well as other Theme Camps that are in a similar situation.
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:01 am

We are a camp of about 30 people, and I think there are only 4 tickets total for the camp. I am not one of the lucky ones.
Sham

Postby Schwarttzy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm

I would really like to know where all these tickets went... thank god I got mine... but I'm afraid burning man won't be as fun without as many core burners.
Schwarttzy

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:32 pm

wandergirl wrote:I'm part of a group that was super excited to band together & create a new theme camp.
7/23 got tickets. yeah. probably not happening.

band together and create a theme camp with another theme camp then. two half camps could make a whole camp. or 3 1/3rd camps or whatever.

or give up.
quit. go home. sorry Don't go home stay away, go to bali do something else because you know what you dont have to go you could go anywhere do anything and if you need to have it easy BMprobably isnt for you. its hot and dusty and there are no taps for water or showers there isnt even a starbucks.

unless you bring it yourself. you find a way you connect with other burners in a similar situatiuon you use social networking sites to be social and network, you pm some of the others ready to give up and plan your burn.

or give up.
its up to you, i know the people i care about are going, even if they dont have a ticket yet because even if they hate the lottery the love Burning man enoug to try and get Home.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby CornMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

[edit]
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 pm

Stag Camp of roughly 100 participants is not really a theme camp but we are an established camp.

Usually we have 50 or so returning veterans with the balance being Birgins, and new members.

At this point I have heard of about 15 Staggers set up with tickets. 2 of them are Birgins.

It seems that I am the only one in the camp leadership circle that has a ticket. It is going to be a different year for sure.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:26 pm

PapaBear2120 wrote:Galaxo Magic,

Mostly I want to respond because you're the second person to change my name to PapaBear2010. . .

Thanks, sorry, I'm getting pretty old and my eyes can't read the small type very well.

Back on topic. Our camp scored 8 of the 10 tickets we needed. From every thing I have seen I think we may have done the best. Luckily a small camp doesn't need 50+ tickets. My dear friends at the DOTA (Department of Tethered Aviation) got about 8 out of 48. The are an Esplanade camp. I don't know how they overcome that amount of deficit.

Good luck sir!
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:57 pm

We got our tickets in pre-sale... I don't even think any of our camp actually registered for tickets for 2012, they just said they would buy some when the idiots who got their boss, mum, sister, cousin, cousins sister's brother's wife etc etc etc to register for them find that they have too many tickets...

PS - the Org is shit at organising

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Cheyenne wrote:We got our tickets in pre-sale... I don't even think any of our camp actually registered for tickets for 2012, they just said they would buy some when the idiots who got their boss, mum, sister, cousin, cousins sister's brother's wife etc etc etc to register for them find that they have too many tickets...

PS - the Org is shit at organising

yay for you cheyenne! thats cool and a brave move
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Eye up Dawg-man... are you gracing us with your presence in 2012?

nice..

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:40 am

we are a 1st time camp, splintering off from other camps. there's 8 us plus our 2 virgins and our virgins were the only ones to get tickets. which i guess is good that if only 2 people were get tickets it's the people with the smallest capacity to find them elsewhere. we're determined to get the other 8 and are carrying on with plans as if we all have tickets, we all agreed we would like to help with construction and/or money even if we cant go ourselves. our main worry is what will happen to our burgins without us, should everything fall apart. i would be frantically looking a ticket anyway, but there is now a very weird maternal need for me to go. who else will make sure they drink enough water?! protect them from rebar?! take care of them if they get scared?! one of our burgins is my best friend and over the years he has seen me off to burning man, even helped me go in numerous ways but he's never been himself. i was really looking forward to finally experiencing it with him and i really hope we still get to.
yellfireinatheater

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 pm

wraith wrote:Sue, I'm really happy to see you so enthusiastic despite it all, but the 'do anything to get there' attitude of a lot of Burners is what's going to make this a very profitable season for the scalpers, just as they planned.

To koin Amerikanism... bullshit. Sorry, komrade, but with the bulk of tikkets still out there between STEP and the 10K for March Madness, we will to be fracking FINE.

We have been THE theme kamp since 2005... not a long time, but those who know, know, and those who don't miss out, KNOW where party is. Those who know not, BURN NOT!!!

You want to hear something, Komrade?? I don't have fracking TIKKET. Will that stop me? NYET!! I will work for man, I will hit March Madness, I will hit STEP, and I, and those tough enough to stand arm in arm with us, will BE THERE FOR THE MAYAN TERMINATOR EVENT.

Yes, I am moderator, but I also have FAITH. And by the way, FUCK KAPITALIST SKALPER SKUM. IF you are REAL BURNER you DO NYET NEED SKALPERS!!!

What will YOU do for tikket?? Will you STEP UP, or WIMP OUT??
Lassen Forge

Postby pink » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:52 pm

I say we send any known scalpers over to Apokoliptika.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Next

Return to 2012 Theme Camps