Occupy Black Rock City

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Nipple wrote:From Dan Das Mann's site...

A 50' tall living nursery-grown redwood tree was brought with the intention of erecting it in place of the fallen Revered Oil Derrick. The tree was treated and permitted as required by law to cross state lines from California into Nevada. A full-time professional tree mover was hired to remain focused solely on the care and health of the tree during it's travels and performance.
The performance was choreographed to ensure the tree remained on the playa for no longer than 24 hours.

Today, the redwood tree is alive and well and enjoying a certain kind of fame among it's friends at the nursery.

http://www.headlesspoint.com/crude_awakening/

Is that what really happened with the tree? The site doesn't talk about any troubles the tree caused.

Clarification: Not doubting your story Bob... doubting the site.

Was this tree prohibited because of LNT? Heaven forbid that a few pieces of bark might wind up among the sagebrush downwind. ;)

I'm contemplating slaughtering a couple dozen Italian cypresses next year.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:53 pm

Read the survival guide. No live plants.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 pm

I think that goes without saying; I suppose the unspoken question is how they got away with it.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
bluesbob wrote:Getting back to the occupy subject...

BM is my getaway from the default world. I prefer to leave what's going on out there...out there.

Well, it was long imagined as a testing ground for an alternative society.

Well those people are delusional.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Just going on what I've been told by people involved, who said it hadn't been approved, and that attempts were made to stop the truck at the Gate, which was minimally staffed at that time of the week.

LNT is part of the permit. The sod they left in 2002 dropped grass, roots and dirt over a broad swath of playa. Even a couple of tree branches can leave bark fragments that take hours to clean up. Took years for DPW to get the art department to realize this, of course.

ObTopic, Occupy don't need no stinking camping permits.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:24 pm

WooHoo thread drift! Does this mean we now "Occupy" this thread?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:58 pm

No drift at all. Crude Awakening is exactly what I'd expect at an Occupy camp.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 pm

AntiM wrote:Read the survival guide. No live plants.

Well, it wasn't technically "live"; they had already chopped the f*cker down.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lemur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:41 pm

it wasnt chopped down
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Bob wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Dan, Karen and many others brought Crude Awakening one year. Proof that things from defaultia can give one wood when going boom while also making one change their lifestyle and consider the evils of fossil fuel.

What does trucking a 50-ft redwood tree from the bay area via semi tractor, breaking through the Gate, getting the tree impounded, and blaming everyone else for enforcing the long-standing no-plants LNT policy have to do with anything but the artists' egos?

Now Now Bob you are just being a troll.. you know damn well I was refering to the oil derrick, dustdevils air raid siren, and nates bleve. And anyone thats been around knows that no plant rule is not enforced on everyone. Serves them right for having to pickup after giving and art project that much hassle. I think we all remember the pyramid with the sod and the white dome with mistsing and houseplants. Theres also a no pet rule but how many times do you see people with snakes out there. For that matter theres not supposed to be drugs but we all know how many ravers bring extasy and molly to the community and get popped for not keeping their shit on the low.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:04 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
AntiM wrote:I always felt sorry for the tree, minding its own business, growing, and then getting killed for art which didn't even happen. Foogers.

Exactly, and especially a beautiful redwood like that.

Not that.. there should be preferential treatment among species..

Yeah, it would have been much better off being chopped down so some corporate exec could have a nice conference table.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Nipple wrote:From Dan Das Mann's site...

A 50' tall living nursery-grown redwood tree was brought with the intention of erecting it in place of the fallen Revered Oil Derrick. The tree was treated and permitted as required by law to cross state lines from California into Nevada. A full-time professional tree mover was hired to remain focused solely on the care and health of the tree during it's travels and performance.
The performance was choreographed to ensure the tree remained on the playa for no longer than 24 hours.

Today, the redwood tree is alive and well and enjoying a certain kind of fame among it's friends at the nursery.

http://www.headlesspoint.com/crude_awakening/

Is that what really happened with the tree? The site doesn't talk about any troubles the tree caused.

It is my understanding that gate goons with a power trip put a stop to this part of an approved art installation and therefore are responsible for the murder of the tree. But such will always be the case when you use volunteers with ego and power trip issues.

Lets not forget that bribery is big on the playa these days so the rules really dont matter, and anyone really commited can sneak shit in. Just look at all the glitter and synthetic feathers. But hey synthetics are cool as long as its rave oriented. Dont even get me started on the glow sticks and shit, we all know how much the glow tards care about cleaning up after themselves. Personally I trust DA a metric fawkton more to clean up after a flaming piano being tossed via trebuchet than I trust the ravers to police their glowstick moop.

Clarification: Not doubting your story Bob... doubting the site.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Mags I think you are forgetting that CA was an approved art installation and therefore and exception to the rule.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 pm

tamarakay wrote:WooHoo thread drift! Does this mean we now "Occupy" this thread?

Yes indeed, and this makes me happier than a Thunderdome resident in a Hot Topic with an 80% off sale goin on.

Whose thread! Our thread!

Eplayans are more occupy than they let on. :twisted:
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:25 pm

One thing's for sure, once I am sitting on the ground, I'm there to stay.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:One thing's for sure, once I am sitting on the ground, I'm there to stay.

Thats the first step for occupiers. Remember to bring a gasmask or rag soaked in apple cider vinegar and goggles. The 1st amendment means nothing to those tyrannical greedy people in charge.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 pm

Pro-tip: to avoid needing multiple replies in a row, hit the "quote" buttons in the topic review below your reply to quote those specific messages in the same reply.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:14 am

BBadger wrote:Pro-tip: to avoid needing multiple replies in a row, hit the "quote" buttons in the topic review below your reply to quote those specific messages in the same reply.

Dont think I can do that with the tablet I am using. Droid has some limitations as opposed to a windows/mac. Thanks for the tip and I will try and see if I can do that easily. Its a pain in the ass just to paste a youtube link on the forum but I no longer have a working PC at home.

My main reason for going tablet was to reduce my carbon footprint and more portability and extended battery life. Cost was a secondary reason along with availabilty of free/cheap apps.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:35 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:My main reason for going tablet was to reduce my carbon footprint and more portability and extended battery life. Cost was a secondary reason along with availabilty of free/cheap apps.

Yeah I needed to know that.

But yeah... Reduce your "carbon footprint" on the electricity used by stuff you already own, by buying more electronic gadgets. That's how it works.

BBadger

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:45 am

add that to the feature requests forum...

"make the forum work on my 286 running Mosaic.. cuz im a asshat and wont use a normal computer"
lemur

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:48 am

Re: Replies...

You can also use the bottom of the 'post a reply' page to review the posts in the topic. It's below that blue-ish section where you uncheck the disable BBCode box. From there you can scroll through recent posts and reference/reply to things as necessary. Alternatively, if your browser supports tabbed browsing or separate windows, you could open the reply in a new tab/window, and then refer to the first window with all the previous messages in it.

Re: Crude Awakening...

For what it's worth, the tree wasn't chopped down or killed. I can't recall the exact particulars, but the tree was being moved/relocated for some other reason and essentially went on a side trip to Burning Man along the way. There were some legal requirements in hauling it back and forth, and essentially the tree had it's own "medical staff" (tree surgeon, arborist, or whatever you call it). The root structure was still intact on the playa, and it was brought back to California and replanted at its new location after the event. As far as I know, the tree is still alive (though I imagine you could probably reach out to Dan or any of the other team leads to inquire if you cared to).

The plan to bring the tree was intended to be kept as secret as possible (though Larry knew and had approved) with the intention being to put the tree up in the dead of night and just blow peoples' minds when they woke up the next day. But between the early burning of the man (which led to DPW & Ranger schedules being crazy from Monday on) and the fucking crazy weather in 2007, the Crude Awakening burn had to be postponed (a major dust storm hit on Friday that made it impossible for the Crude Awakening crew to properly test the fuel lines, so the decision was made to burn it after the man on Saturday). Between the last minute reschedule and already crazy DPW/Ranger reschedules, nobody at the gate was aware that permission had been given and nobody was able to reach Larry to verify the story at the late hour that the tree was coming through.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 am

the tree is with the band..
lemur

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 am

BBadger wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:My main reason for going tablet was to reduce my carbon footprint and more portability and extended battery life. Cost was a secondary reason along with availabilty of free/cheap apps.

But yeah... Reduce your "carbon footprint" on the electricity used by stuff you already own, by buying more electronic gadgets. That's how it works.

Not more.. less.. I use killawatt to measure consumption. At the time of the purchase I had no working PC.

PS Thanks for occupyin the thread so much. All Day, All Week, Occupy this thread. :twisted:

Trilo: Thanks for the additional tip/explanation on multiple replies. As to CA what I heard was roughly the same except the part about the trees survival.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 am

BBadger wrote:

This thread and OP get more entertaining every day. That's all I'll say.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 am

junglesmacks wrote:
BBadger wrote:

This thread and OP get more entertaining every day. That's all I'll say.

You do realize that Badger is just trolling the thread. He probably uses a quad core with 1000 watt surround sound. As a Ranger in person he is decent, on eplaya he turns into something else.

Notice how he tried to claim that I was using more electricity by saying I am using more and puchasing more when I am using less with what I replaced a broken PC with. Hes probably running a desktop or laptop which uses far more juice than my table.

Attacking, Trolling, Telling Lies...

Welcome to eplaya where burners get entertained by trollish behavior, outright lies, shitting on other peoples camp ideas, other peoples ideas of whats art, etc etc.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:13 am

this aint no love fest.

dont want people to shit on your ideas?

come up with ideas that are fuckin fantastic and unshitonable.

good luck!!

impress us!
lemur

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 am

lemur wrote:this aint no love fest.

dont want people to shit on your ideas?

come up with ideas that are fuckin fantastic and unshitonable.

good luck!!

impress us!

There is just no pleasing some people. And no matter how fantastic an idea is someone will always shit on it. Thats what happens when you include 99%. I am not here to impress. Thanks for helping make the thread post count go up. At this rate this thread will surpass TC by xmas. Keep up the occupation people. Great work so far and fawk yer day. :P
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:

Mags I think you are forgetting that CA was an approved art installation and therefore and exception to the rule.

Who the fuck is "Mags"? Absolutely fucking not my name in any way, shape or form I like.

As for exceptions, well, it was fucked up big time by one thing or another. It was an epic clusterfuck. Epic and entertaining. Like eplaya.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:17 am

AntiM wrote:
Who the fuck is "Mags"? Absolutely fucking not my name in any way, shape or form I like.

You know.. Art, I really like the cut of your jib..
lemur

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 am

lemmy, is that You?

I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa