Occupy Black Rock City

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm

So, did you actually take my concern for Larry seriously?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:22 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Keep giving em hell blackrockcitypimp lol. You might check out some of Simon's signs. He's way more creative than I am.
Not all of us Eplayans crap all over everyone's ideas all the time. Sometimes we tag team, sometimes we act all encouraging then let Isotopia loose, and then other times we just flat ignore you. That's worse.

Having been a part of the community for as long as I have I am used to it. Ive always been a fan of Simons work both on and off the playa. Funny thing is during the past 2 months travelling to various occupationsspreading the good word about alternative energy, gardening, permaculture, sustainability, etc I was spreading ideas I learned from the Burningman community. I find it odd that here on eplaya many of the most active posters couldnt misrepresent our community or culture more. I kinda figured wanting to occupy first camp for a day and have art in a theme camp woulda pissed off eplayans. Maybe its the no felony rule that pissed some of em off.. who knows.. Im just glad I am not so miserable that I need to spend my time trolling threads and shitting on the art and expression of others. I also know having been an activist for the past 20 years that I am in the minority. Most people seem to be content living a lifestyle thats not sustainable no matter how much we damage the earth and enslave other people to get cheap labor.

When the Pier guys first came on here they got some negativity. They met it back with grace and by the end of the deal had lots of help, both time help and money help, from more than a few on eplaya. We have had some posters on here wanting to "occupy burningman" in protest of the ticket lottery etc. I think that is ridiculous. Some of the flack you are getting is because of that. Now I was reading some lightheartedness and humor in your version of the occupy burningman, I hope I was right.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Nobody respects the Spammish Occupation.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 am

tamarakay wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Keep giving em hell blackrockcitypimp lol. You might check out some of Simon's signs. He's way more creative than I am.
Not all of us Eplayans crap all over everyone's ideas all the time. Sometimes we tag team, sometimes we act all encouraging then let Isotopia loose, and then other times we just flat ignore you. That's worse.

Having been a part of the community for as long as I have I am used to it. Ive always been a fan of Simons work both on and off the playa. Funny thing is during the past 2 months travelling to various occupationsspreading the good word about alternative energy, gardening, permaculture, sustainability, etc I was spreading ideas I learned from the Burningman community. I find it odd that here on eplaya many of the most active posters couldnt misrepresent our community or culture more. I kinda figured wanting to occupy first camp for a day and have art in a theme camp woulda pissed off eplayans. Maybe its the no felony rule that pissed some of em off.. who knows.. Im just glad I am not so miserable that I need to spend my time trolling threads and shitting on the art and expression of others. I also know having been an activist for the past 20 years that I am in the minority. Most people seem to be content living a lifestyle thats not sustainable no matter how much we damage the earth and enslave other people to get cheap labor.

When the Pier guys first came on here they got some negativity. They met it back with grace and by the end of the deal had lots of help, both time help and money help, from more than a few on eplaya. We have had some posters on here wanting to "occupy burningman" in protest of the ticket lottery etc. I think that is ridiculous. Some of the flack you are getting is because of that. Now I was reading some lightheartedness and humor in your version of the occupy burningman, I hope I was right.

You are correct on all counts. Real sad what went down with the Pier folks initially, as well as many many artists before them. Personally I could care less what the org does about tickets, I am commited enuff to my participation to jump any hurdle they put in front of us. Like other themecamps that unite likeminded individuals this camps intent is to unite occupiers and showcase some of the art that comes from the movement. I really only wanna make a statement by occupying first camp because of the lack of radical inclusion and participation, I have no interest in Larrys hookers or blow.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:51 am

If one was really dedicated to the cause, wouldn't one just go to one of the existing occupy protests? I mean, if it was really something you believed in and cared deeply about, it seems kind of silly to go on the expensive vacation when you could participate in occupation at little to no cost (with the additional benefit of having hundreds or even thousands of dollars to help dedicate to the cause). Organizing an Occupy BRC camp/event kind of strikes me as being on par with organizing an Occupy Cancun event at Senor Frog's during spring break.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:41 am

trilobyte wrote:If one was really dedicated to the cause, wouldn't one just go to one of the existing occupy protests? I mean, if it was really something you believed in and cared deeply about, it seems kind of silly to go on the expensive vacation when you could participate in occupation at little to no cost (with the additional benefit of having hundreds or even thousands of dollars to help dedicate to the cause). Organizing an Occupy BRC camp/event kind of strikes me as being on par with organizing an Occupy Cancun event at Senor Frog's during spring break.

Been to 20 over the past 2 months. Again let me reiterate that this camp is not about protesting BRC. Think of a place where burners that have occupied can camp together. There is no intent to disrupt first camp or center camp, think more along the lines of performance art for a short period of time. Alot of burners are as commited to the cause long term as I am, many are still in occupations. I have taken a small break to work on more important aspects of the movement. I know GreenMan is over but in my world sustainability is a constant driving force behind the way I live and adjust my lifestyle.

Its just a themecamp.. not a protest. If we occupy past exodus rest assured we will be cleaning up after others and helping do teardowns and such.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:14 am

Pimp, I think a lot of people read your first post and “The plan is to stage an occupation at first camp for 24 hours, maybe 48.” was ALL that stood out & not anything else in your post. The first image I had was of protesters blocking access to areas that should be freely enjoyed by all. I think since then you have expounded on your original thought and it is not as aggressively negative as first presented. Your enthusiasm & dedication are commendable even if I disagree with much of the occupy movement. I realize that probably makes me a small minority on this forum but isn’t diversity fantastic :D . All your other ideas I give you kudos for, all great stuff. File this under “don’t give a shit” if you like but a lot of people are dedicating substantial resources to go to BMan next year to escape from what they see every day on CNN & FOX. If that is your plan & its just a camp then go for it & have fun. The offer still stands for the tequila.

Respectfully disagreeing - Monkey
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:24 pm

I say, occupy first camp until Larry comes out of his AC and gets drunk with the
party.
unjonharley

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Pimp, I think a lot of people read your first post and “The plan is to stage an occupation at first camp for 24 hours, maybe 48.” was ALL that stood out & not anything else in your post. The first image I had was of protesters blocking access to areas that should be freely enjoyed by all. I think since then you have expounded on your original thought and it is not as aggressively negative as first presented. Your enthusiasm & dedication are commendable even if I disagree with much of the occupy movement. I realize that probably makes me a small minority on this forum but isn’t diversity fantastic :D . All your other ideas I give you kudos for, all great stuff. File this under “don’t give a shit” if you like but a lot of people are dedicating substantial resources to go to BMan next year to escape from what they see every day on CNN & FOX. If that is your plan & its just a camp then go for it & have fun. The offer still stands for the tequila.

Since you have never been to burningman I will forgive your lack of knowlege about first camp and educate you. First camp is NOT something freely enjoyed by all, it is very private and very expensive to camp there. Didnt you promise in your last post not to occupy this thread anymore? You are now up to 80 percent in your participation level. I think you are more occupy than you are letting on. You will not get anything honest from CNN or FOX and if those are your primary sources of news I feel sorry for you. Once you have actually spent 7 days in the dust with us you will be a burner and will understand our community more. Don not try to get into first camp though, unless you are invited or pay you will not be allowed in there for the hooker and blow party.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:02 pm

unjonharley wrote:I say, occupy first camp until Larry comes out of his AC and gets drunk with the
party.

I give it 24 - 48 hours until this happens, Larrys penchant for latching onto popular things that are trending give me hope that I will get to see that Hat everyone is so fond of.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BBadger » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:52 pm

You're taking a break from a camp-out with another camp-out? Were you one of those OWS folks who was going on that vacation to Egypt, but had it canceled?

Honestly, by the time BM rolls around I doubt there'll be much Occupying left. The fad will have past.

Still, I do think seeing an "Occupy BRC" would be a funny camp theme as it would reflect the same thing in the real world.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 am

I'd really like to see it as roving theater where a band of people haul around dome tents, place them near a theme camp, and "protest" them for as long as it's funny.

Then on down the esplanade they go. Maybe go protest Arctica for a while. Maybe carry everything out to the trash fence, and protest it.
Nipple

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 am

Nipple wrote:I'd really like to see it as roving theater where a band of people haul around dome tents, place them near a theme camp, and "protest" them for as long as it's funny.

Then on down the esplanade they go. Maybe go protest Arctica for a while. Maybe carry everything out to the trash fence, and protest it.

Now see? That's what I thought he meant!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:01 am

I recall a decade ago we had Caltramps blockading random streets with barricades and orange cones.

Caltrans, Occupy, didn't realize how similar they are.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:30 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:Pimp, I think a lot of people read your first post and “The plan is to stage an occupation at first camp for 24 hours, maybe 48.” was ALL that stood out & not anything else in your post. The first image I had was of protesters blocking access to areas that should be freely enjoyed by all. I think since then you have expounded on your original thought and it is not as aggressively negative as first presented. Your enthusiasm & dedication are commendable even if I disagree with much of the occupy movement. I realize that probably makes me a small minority on this forum but isn’t diversity fantastic :D . All your other ideas I give you kudos for, all great stuff. File this under “don’t give a shit” if you like but a lot of people are dedicating substantial resources to go to BMan next year to escape from what they see every day on CNN & FOX. If that is your plan & its just a camp then go for it & have fun. The offer still stands for the tequila.

+(3.14 * 5)^23

The last thing I personally want to see on the playa is anything that reminds me of the day to day news cycle..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Nipple wrote:I'd really like to see it as roving theater where a band of people haul around dome tents, place them near a theme camp, and "protest" them for as long as it's funny.

This.

Take an idea from the real world & fuck with it. Bringing the real world in usually just ends up sucking as most people look at this as vacation time; the last thing anyone I know wants to do is have deep talks about the world falling to shit. We do that the rest of the year.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

I felt that way about the animal rights camp.

Like, I agree with their message, but seeing the posters "THIS GOAT IS SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER" was all, "Man... this is a bummer."

Just felt WAY out of place.
Nipple

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Nipple wrote:I felt that way about the animal rights camp.

Like, I agree with their message, but seeing the posters "THIS GOAT IS SOMEONE'S DAUGHTER" was all, "Man... this is a bummer."

Just felt WAY out of place.

We began plotting on making our own signs to slip in with the other signs: This cow is someone's hamburger. This pig is my bacon. But then we got distracted by shiny stuff.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:46 pm

Bob wrote:I recall a decade ago we had Caltramps blockading random streets with barricades and orange cones.

How would that go over today? I was thinking it would be neat to build a rope bridge across a street, from one camp to another. It would have to be lit, for sure...but it might stop a bigger art car from moving down that street.

I'm kind of leery about any kind of messing with streets.

Would a 10-15 minute wad of people on the Esplanade anger anyone important?
Nipple

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Nipple wrote:
Bob wrote:I recall a decade ago we had Caltramps blockading random streets with barricades and orange cones.

How would that go over today? I was thinking it would be neat to build a rope bridge across a street, from one camp to another. It would have to be lit, for sure...but it might stop a bigger art car from moving down that street.

A separate thread, of course, but that would be cool!
How about a zipline over the street from camp to camp?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Nipple wrote: I was thinking it would be neat to build a rope bridge across a street, from one camp to another. It would have to be lit, for sure...but it might stop a bigger art car from moving down that street.

5280MeV

Postby Mojojita » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Nipple wrote:

A separate thread, of course, but that would be cool!
How about a zipline over the street from camp to camp?

There was a "naked" zipline for several years - went across a street and was great fun.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:26 pm

Nipple wrote:Would a 10-15 minute wad of people on the Esplanade anger anyone important?

A group near Center Camp had a roadblock set up on the Esplanade last year.. It could have been funny, but they blocked the whole street & only interacted with one or two people they deemed cute. I started to go around, they started screaming something at me about having to pay a toll, I told them they were too boring to pay. Blocking everyone so you can troll for "hotties" is not only unfunny, it's actually kind of sad.

On my way back I just cut across the playa away from them.

I love interactive humor, but "humor" has to be part of it. Even ridiculous officious bureaucracy can be done so it's as funny as it is exasperating.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Yea, that's just gross.

I'd also never want to SNL a joke. You know, where they just repeat the same thing over and over and over until they've drained anything funny out of it. Stuff like that you have to show up. Make an impact, and then vanish.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 pm

5280MeV wrote:
Nipple wrote: I was thinking it would be neat to build a rope bridge across a street, from one camp to another. It would have to be lit, for sure...but it might stop a bigger art car from moving down that street.

Of course, Terminal City has been known to put up road blocks...

Or so I understand.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Great idea, added to the list. Arctica is on par with Center camp bringing commodification to our community and reducing RSR. As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew. Maybe someone familiar with that can porovide specifics as to the deets. Protesting the trash fence is a good idea, about as effective as peacefully protesting wall street banksters. The trash fence while being a good place to snag a nifty hat thats blown off someones head does nothing to stop moop of the worst sort that goes right past and collects somewhere most participants dont bother with. Speaking of which.. does playa restoration handle anything outside of the fence? As far as protesting other themecamps I would prefer only to protest the ones thats offer nothing to the community, the private circle the wagons rv collectives that charge thousands to camp in and have managed to get in early and setup in public camping areas reserving space for campmates that cant make it until Friday.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew.

Nope.. As told by my very good friend and business colleague, the Ice Queen, it was originally started by the local high school as a fund raiser. It grew so fast that they quickly needed organizational help, so volunteers took over the tasks. Profits still go back to the local community.

They serve an awesome service out there. Can you imagine 50k+ people with spoiled food and warm beer?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby unjonharley » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew.

c
Nope.. As told by my very good friend and business colleague, the Ice Queen, it was originally started by the local high school as a fund raiser. It grew so fast that they quickly needed organizational help, so volunteers took over the tasks. Profits still go back to the local community.

They serve an awesome service out there. Can you imagine 50k+ people with spoiled food and warm beer?

Sorry.. I have enough ice for a full week. I went to Artica once . Dumb asses that did not read made a line four blocks long.. I do not go to BM to stand in a line..
Artica is a great idea for theme party camps.. If you can't take care of yourself at BM your a dumb ass
unjonharley

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:05 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

Some beers arent that bad warm. When I go camping I dont bring food that can spoil. I use Mountain House and Natural High dehydrated foods and stuff that doesnt require cooling. When I can afford to bring the bus to BRC I use a chest freezer as a supercooler, dial down the thermo and no freezing of the Chimay and Fat Tire.

Out of 8 years I only used the ice camp twice and have never purchased from Center Camp. I was glad for the having ice available but could have lived without it. Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:19 pm

occupy black rock city is the TruthBurn of 2012.

http://911truthburn.blogspot.com/

some crap, if i recall correctly, that some 911 truthers made and intended to cut down with thermite to prove some crazy 9/11 truther conspiracy junk..

anyways!!

id occupy the west wing way before first camp.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme Camps