Occupy Black Rock City

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:08 am

If there is enuff interest this camp could be a place to share good, bad, pretty, and ugly occupy stories. The plan is to stage an occupation at first camp for 24 hours, maybe 48. I would say occupy the dpw ghetto but those fawkers will beat our ass or set us on fire if we tried some shit like that, plus I have too much respect for them. I would like to see some protest related art in our camp, some discussions and workshops relating to sustainability and all around education of the proles about the evils of monsatan et al. Since I am the first asshole that posted the camp I shall be the captain of this lulzboat. There is room for a co captain or co captainette, mates, and swabs. We will allow drinkin and such but this will be a felony free camp, so keep your shit on the low and in secret or get booted. Aside from the no felony rule everything else goes as long as there is respect and shit amongst campmates. Oh yea.. I really dont dig rvs so please tents, domes, yurts, teepees, pallet houses and the like please.

If you feel the vibe of this please help get this goin, if you think it sucks move on to the next camp please.
BlackRockCityPimp

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:43 am

I didn't think it was possible for a group to be even more annoyingly useless than PeTA.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:09 am

Why would you occupying Black Rock City of all places? Is there something specific you're actually protesting about the place?

Or is it like these other side-occubation movements where they've devolved from protesting a symbolic place like Wall Street to just squatting in general locations no matter what values the location supposedly promotes. It seems "occupation" has more to do with fighting for the "right" to squat on public land than any lofty ideals (I think I've nailed down the core purpose of the movement).

You're free to do what you want with your burn, but in my mind, an occubation would probably be the biggest waste of a week at Burning Man ever conceived. Maybe squatting on public land with drum circles would be more appropriate with the Rainbow Gathering? They like to "hang out" and talk just about bad times because that's what hippies do.

Or hey, maybe you could make better use of the resources you'd use to travel and camp at this altar of excess and consumerism we call Burning Man, and stage a longer-term camp-out at your local park? That'd be a more responsible thing to do with your time and money if you really care about OWS stuff. Or are you just betting that BRC will be the only place left that won't kick occubators out?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sham » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:11 am

BBadger wrote:
You're free to do what you want with your burn, but in my mind, an occubation would probably be the biggest waste of a week at Burning Man ever conceived. Maybe squatting on public land with drum circles would be more appropriate with the Rainbow Gathering? They like to "hang out" and talk just about bad times because that's what hippies do.

Possibly the second biggest waste of a week.
Sham

Postby Elderberry » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:25 am

I'm big on OWS, but I have to give this a down twinkle.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:45 pm

BBadger wrote:Why would you occupying Black Rock City of all places? Is there something specific you're actually protesting about the place?

Or is it like these other side-occubation movements where they've devolved from protesting a symbolic place like Wall Street to just squatting in general locations no matter what values the location supposedly promotes. It seems "occupation" has more to do with fighting for the "right" to squat on public land than any lofty ideals (I think I've nailed down the core purpose of the movement).

Or hey, maybe you could make better use of the resources you'd use to travel and camp at this altar of excess and consumerism we call Burning Man, and stage a longer-term camp-out at your local park? That'd be a more responsible thing to do with your time and money if you really care about OWS stuff. Or are you just betting that BRC will be the only place left that won't kick occubators out?

Correct on all accounts.

To clarify.. occupation of first camp is one goal but only for 24-48 hours. Protesting coffee sales and promotion of freebies for the hippies is another. I want to raise awareness of EsspressoDude and Clark. Thanks for one great idea tho.. the camp will continue to occupy brc after exodus until we get pepper sprayed by dpw in which case we will hold up our cameras chanting the whole world is watching.

Seriuously tho.. this isnt all that big or serious of a camp idea. Just a place to pitch tents when we are not diggin the art installations and arts cars. I do think that adbusters makes great art and activists make some nifty protest signs.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Bob wrote:I didn't think it was possible for a group to be even more annoyingly useless than PeTA.

Oh its possible.. believe that.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:42 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
Bob wrote:I didn't think it was possible for a group to be even more annoyingly useless than PeTA.

You're living proof.

..and for that, we thank you.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:52 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:

You're living proof.

..and for that, we thank you.

Dont forget about the super commitee that was gonna save the dollar hence saving the world. They did a good job at rising to the top o the list too. Last week I woulda mentioned Herman Cain but I know in my heart his job was just to lift up Newt Gingrich in the polls.

Oh yeah we will be eating tasty animals in camp so PeTA will be represented as part of the 99.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:24 pm

By "annoying" I meant "indescribably delicious", in terms of Burning Man.

Come up with a clever enough art proposal and you'll get Larry's personal imprimatur. First thing I'd occupy is the fucking Temple, then try encircling some of those rave buses.

Bob

Postby tamarakay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:41 pm

well, i'm out on two counts, i have an airstream that I won't give up, and I'm already in a camp. But I think this idea is a good one and I admire your spunk.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 am

Bob wrote:By "annoying" I meant "indescribably delicious", in terms of Burning Man.

Come up with a clever enough art proposal and you'll get Larry's personal imprimatur. First thing I'd occupy is the fucking Temple, then try encircling some of those rave buses.

Dont like the Temple Bob? Ive always been a fan of David Best and am personally keen on the continuation of the Temple. The more fire the better I say. Some of the Temples would have been awesome to camp in or near but I just wouldnt feel right camping there, now first camp and any other "private" or "invite only" area is what I feel would be a lil better. Pitching some tents around one of those rave buses whilst they are asleep sounds really dandy, tho I feel exceptions should be made for buses with fire and a commitment to public transpo service. As to art proposals I am more of a direct action kinda guy, maybe someone from arts and culture will join up and come up with something worthwhile.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:51 am

tamarakay wrote:well, i'm out on two counts, i have an airstream that I won't give up, and I'm already in a camp. But I think this idea is a good one and I admire your spunk.

I think an exception could be made for an airstream, they are one of those special circumstance rvs. Especially if its extra shiny or extra dull, and swirly sanded looks get extra props. Feel free to pitch a tent anyway to have a second camp, who says someone has to be posted up in just one spot. Its always good to have several homes when coming home just in case you need a safe place away from your primary camp or even if you just cant make it back to the other side of the city where you started your day/night. For that matter you could even occupy a couch, someone will give ya shelter in case of a condition alpha.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BBadger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:40 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Dont forget about the super commitee that was gonna save the dollar hence saving the world. They did a good job at rising to the top o the list too. Last week I woulda mentioned Herman Cain but I know in my heart his job was just to lift up Newt Gingrich in the polls.

Oh yeah we will be eating tasty animals in camp so PeTA will be represented as part of the 99.

Why do these conversations about OWS inevitably degrade into laundry lists of grievances and rants about the right?

Please do set up your honeypot camp to attract such conversationalists and spare the rest of the playa of their presence.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:30 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
Bob wrote:By "annoying" I meant "indescribably delicious", in terms of Burning Man.

Dont like the Temple Bob? Ive always been a fan of David Best and am personally keen on the continuation of the Temple. The more fire the better I say. Some of the Temples would have been awesome to camp in or near but I just wouldnt feel right camping there, now first camp and any other "private" or "invite only" area is what I feel would be a lil better. Pitching some tents around one of those rave buses whilst they are asleep sounds really dandy, tho I feel exceptions should be made for buses with fire and a commitment to public transpo service. As to art proposals I am more of a direct action kinda guy, maybe someone from arts and culture will join up and come up with something worthwhile.

If you think anything is taboo at Burning Man, you're wasting our time with this.

Bob

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:18 am

I really surprised that no one has suggested an Occupy - the Occupy BRC camp - Camp. Please leave plenty of refreshments available for us when we occupy your camp while you occupy BRC :D Damn, now I'm confused. Seriously though isn’t the general idea to escape the Default world for a week, be creative, and share a fantastic time with your Playa neighbors?

What about remodeled Skoolies? Are they in the same category as RV's?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am

Sorry, I am confused? What?

What is the plan? To -- Uh, occupy something/somewhere??

Remember, federal land, exclusion zone enforced by BLM Rangers (you know, the people who can arrest you for tresspassing), early entry by permission only...

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 am

If you don't understand this, good luck understanding the *real* Occupy.

Bob

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:12 am

Bob wrote:If you don't understand this, good luck understanding the *real* Occupy.
Uh, the *real* Occupy is fighting for the right to camp in the middle of cities? -

When my kids were small they used to lie on the ground screaming when they thought life was not fair. As they got older they would tell me about what they perceived to be unfair and sometimes we would come to an understanding. Now they are adults, they realize that they will not get everything they want. Sometimes they work really hard to get what they want (like a car or something).

I would like to know what, exactly, people want from Black Rock City?

Where do they plan to occupy? When do they intend on starting this occupation?

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:00 pm

About 50-60 00 will occupy BRC in Aug..

We are going to set up tent,food stations and med tents..

Then we are going to hit the streets chanting and occupying any spaces we come across..
unjonharley

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm

I think I am going to start selling, no, gifting magnetic ribbons that say “I occupy X” so everyone can put them on the back of their cars and feel good about themselves. Seriously, Burning Man is so completely separated from the “real” world that an occupy movement would have next to no meaning. The real occupy movement is protesting what some consider to be inequities & injustices in our society. What would an occupy camp be protesting? Not enough fun & creativity? Also, I don’t think you can say that if someone is confused about the meaning of an occupy theme camp, that they are clueless about the real movement. They are not mutually inclusive events. Maybe you can combine the 2012 theme with you camp idea. Perhaps Occupy the Womb will be a better idea.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:55 pm

In the mornings, occupy the center camp for a cup'a
unjonharley

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:26 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:I think I am going to start selling, no, gifting magnetic ribbons that say “I occupy X” so everyone can put them on the back of their cars and feel good about themselves. Seriously, Burning Man is so completely separated from the “real” world that an occupy movement would have next to no meaning. The real occupy movement is protesting what some consider to be inequities & injustices in our society. What would an occupy camp be protesting? Not enough fun & creativity? Also, I don’t think you can say that if someone is confused about the meaning of an occupy theme camp, that they are clueless about the real movement. They are not mutually inclusive events. Maybe you can combine the 2012 theme with you camp idea. Perhaps Occupy the Womb will be a better idea.

Either you never heard of first camp or you just like to help people shit on the ideas of others which seems to be an eplaya norm. Based on what you typed here its obvious you didnt even bother reading previous posts before joining the shit on someone elses idea party.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:About 50-60 00 will occupy BRC in Aug..

We are going to set up tent,food stations and med tents..

Then we are going to hit the streets chanting and occupying any spaces we come across..

Someone who actually gets it... thank fawkes for that
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:50 pm

Pimp. I suspect you are a thread troll and will not allow you to Occupy” any more of my time. Have a good weekend. If I see you occupying in the heat of the day I will offer you a drink & you can explain the cosmos to my obviously inept mind.
Until then I will occupy my time participating with my regional group & helping them prepare for the event. If you see a bus with an "I occupy X" magnetic ribbon on it stop on by. I hope you like good tequila :-)

P.S. - I still think its a dumb idea.
FlyingMonkey

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:13 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Pimp. I suspect you are a thread troll and will not allow you to Occupy” any more of my time. Have a good weekend. If I see you occupying in the heat of the day I will offer you a drink & you can explain the cosmos to my obviously inept mind.
Until then I will occupy my time participating with my regional group & helping them prepare for the event. If you see a bus with an "I occupy X" magnetic ribbon on it stop on by. I hope you like good tequila :-)

P.S. - I still think its a dumb idea.

So now I am the one trolling this thread. For someone who has never been to Burningmanto have spent 3 of the 4 posts they have made on this forum occupyin this thread I think you might fit right in our camp. You obviously have some passion about the movement and this camp since you have spent 75 percent of your time in our online community here in this thread. I am a long time skoolie guy and dont consider them rvs. Be sure to check out the many non rave buses on the playa, there are some real sexy ones around our fair city. Skoolie.net is a great resource for builders and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions or run into any problems with your bus build. Elliot is also a skoolie genius and has a thread on here somewhere about buses. I am not much of a drinker but I will share some tequila with you and would always be down for checking out another bus.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby BBadger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:15 pm

stretch80 wrote:
Bob wrote:If you don't understand this, good luck understanding the *real* Occupy.
Uh, the *real* Occupy is fighting for the right to camp in the middle of cities?

It seems that as time has passed, and the novelty has worn off, people are now understanding the true "purpose" of the Occubation movement.

BBadger

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:31 pm

BBadger wrote:
stretch80 wrote:
Uh, the *real* Occupy is fighting for the right to camp in the middle of cities?

It seems that as time has passed, and the novelty has worn off, people are now understanding the true "purpose" of the Occubation movement.

Some drool impaired Portland occupier said that to the media about a month ago..
unjonharley

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Keep giving em hell blackrockcitypimp lol. You might check out some of Simon's signs. He's way more creative than I am.
Not all of us Eplayans crap all over everyone's ideas all the time. Sometimes we tag team, sometimes we act all encouraging then let Isotopia loose, and then other times we just flat ignore you. That's worse.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 pm

tamarakay wrote:Keep giving em hell blackrockcitypimp lol. You might check out some of Simon's signs. He's way more creative than I am.
Not all of us Eplayans crap all over everyone's ideas all the time. Sometimes we tag team, sometimes we act all encouraging then let Isotopia loose, and then other times we just flat ignore you. That's worse.

Having been a part of the community for as long as I have I am used to it. Ive always been a fan of Simons work both on and off the playa. Funny thing is during the past 2 months travelling to various occupationsspreading the good word about alternative energy, gardening, permaculture, sustainability, etc I was spreading ideas I learned from the Burningman community. I find it odd that here on eplaya many of the most active posters couldnt misrepresent our community or culture more. I kinda figured wanting to occupy first camp for a day and have art in a theme camp woulda pissed off eplayans. Maybe its the no felony rule that pissed some of em off.. who knows.. Im just glad I am not so miserable that I need to spend my time trolling threads and shitting on the art and expression of others. I also know having been an activist for the past 20 years that I am in the minority. Most people seem to be content living a lifestyle thats not sustainable no matter how much we damage the earth and enslave other people to get cheap labor.
BlackRockCityPimp

Next

Return to 2012 Theme Camps