BRCC - Black Rock Community Center

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

BRCC - Black Rock Community Center

Postby alaska burners » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:23 pm

A place where members of the black rock community can gather for group activities, social support, public information, and other purposes while attending to peoples needs, desires, and aspirations. Below are a few of the things we have planned for the black rock community Center. We are hoping to be placed on Rod Circle or in center camp.

Every community center has a yearly goal or at least ours does. This years goal is to put lights on every bike.

1. Charging station for Electric Bikes(Sorry no art cars just bikes)with a rack so you can lock your bike and walk to center camp and come back and its charged.
2. Training course and certification for operating Electric and standard bikes including safety, art, illumination, and repair. You will watch a video course on Bikes at Burning man and then given a sticker of appreciation after a short 1 question test.
3. We will be selling bike kits(before the burn online)that can be mailed to you or picked up at the community center. Bike kit includes everything the training course describes or the mini kit just has lights. All profits will go towards buying more bike kits to give out at the community center. Our goal is to put lights on every bike at burning man.
4. skate rink style lockers where you can take the key out and wear it around your neck and leave your phone locked inside and charging.
5. A place you can get the password for your IBURN App.
6. Useful box. We are going to start by filling the box with cheap cups. in order to get a cheap cup you must put something that is highly useful to a burner in the box like your extra flashlight. by the weekend the box should be filled with useful things. Please only put highly useful things in the box.
7. We will have 2 giant writing boards One will be filled with exciting information the other with lies. You figure it out.
8. The black rock Community Center is open to everyone and you are welcome to reserve our space for your onetime event or ceremony. Maybe you want to host an event but don't want the trouble of a theme camp. Whatever your needs we are here for you.
9. Friday Art show - Is your art to small for an installation? bring it here and we will display until Saturday afternoon.
10. Free water while supplies last - need a drink stop in and get a drink - sorry no fillups just what you can drink.

Now recruiting Help. This is a low activity camp during the burn which means it does not require much effort to operate however it requires a great deal of effort preburn so we need all the help we can get.

Currently looking for skate rink style lockers.
From one Extreme Climate to the next...
alaska burners

Re: BRCC - Black Rock Community Center

Postby The CO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:03 am

You've got some great ideas. I would suggest that you compare the following of the 10 principles with parts of your statement above.

Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community.

Gifting
Burning Man is devoted to acts of gift giving. The value of a gift is unconditional. Gifting does not contemplate a return or an exchange for something of equal value.

Decommodification
In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising. We stand ready to protect our culture from such exploitation. We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience.

Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

You're planning early: + a lot of internet points to you. Get input & feedback on this idea now, and pay attention to it: then use the coming several months to refine your ideas. Preparation is the key to a good camp in BRC.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am

I'm comparing them myself and failing to see where the beef is?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby VultureChow » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:38 am

Cool idea. I had one thought. I'll be a birgin, so I can't speak for what works or doesn't in the environment, so you can totally dismiss this if it doesn't work.

Lockers: You might want to look into using programmable locker locks instead of keys. I imagine a lot of keys might be lost. The spa I go to switched after they had to replace too many keys. Each person programs their own lock each time it is used, and a master code can be used for forgotten codes. I'll check next time I go to see which ones they use. They look inexpensive and are mechanical rather than the digital ones I keep seeing online when I search for them.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:48 am

Putting the mod hat on for a moment, just as there's no commerce allowed on the playa, there is no commerce allowed on ePlaya. That goes for the pre-sale of goods or services (i.e. bike kits, food, etc) to be delivered on playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 am

No prob, just offer the kits w/ a $150 Kickstarter donation.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 am

Actually that's still a problem, unless it's a BMOrg sanctioned project.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

Radical self reliance is getting washed down the drain here.

Self reliance is bringing your own stuff and knowing how to use it.
Offering all this help is not helping..
As for a place to preform. Burning Man needs more street performers.

I for one would stop and watch an act wile on my way to bigger things.
Burning Man has a information center..

Valet service is a detractor to BM ie lock boxes

Think extreme camping and extreme survival.. Then extreme art and party.
Or leave your lazy ass home..
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:49 am

AB, there's a seed of a good idea in there. Don't let the negative nancies get to you. Just apply the principles. Don't bite of more than you can chew. How much or how little would you be content with if only two people join you? Also, be prepared to scale up on a moment's notice.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby The CO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 am

junglesmacks wrote:I'm comparing them myself and failing to see where the beef is?

The beef is apparently at Wendys again, tho' Clara Peller has passed on.

Trilo & Unjon have already pointed out a couple of the things I was thinking of. If the OP has questions, I'll be happy to specify.

Every city needs a community center.

Ugly Dougly wrote:Don't let the negative nancies get to you. Just apply the principles.

The "negative nancies" are saying just that: apply the principles.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:51 am

BRCC sounds like a great idea. As pointed out, the self reliance thing may be the problem. If you say you will offer water (while supplies last), you will end up with a lot of people demanding the water you "promised" even after you run out. If you promote that you will offer bike locks, then participants will depend on you for them and not buy one prior to attending. You will have people lined up at your "Customer Service Counter" demanding to see the "manager" to complain if you run our of anything. (the Walmart mentality)

It's admiral that you are offing up some good services, but once you get people to expect, depend and rely on you, you will only have a week of headaches. The same goes for pre-selling anything. While not allowed, it would only make people rely on YOU, and not THEMSELVES.

Your easy solution, is to offer up all of the playa services that you mention---water, cups, recharging, locker loaning and supply exchange, but don't allow people to become dependent on your generous offers. Just have them there without promoting it.

Another problem might be getting placed right by Center Camp. Placement is always the luck of the draw, and you may not be successful. Plan on being able to offer up your services, even if you're a few streets back.

Gook luck with your theme camp, I hope it all comes together for you.
Sham

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:28 am

People have all kinds of free fucking advice, don't they.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 am

Yeah, but nobody will pay for that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:19 pm

RSR and commerce issues already mentioned so I will offer something to consider.

How about just tackling one thing and doing it great. You seem to be big on elec mobility so hows about just stickin with that and skip the water, phone etc. Also are you interested in HHO or GEET for powering charging stations? If so drop me a line as I am really into HHO. Of course you could always google and school yourself in HHO and GEET etc etc.

Personally one of the things I love about Burningman is not being tehtered to a phone or other electronic gadgetry.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:32 pm

Using acronyms makes you look at LEAST eighty percent smarter than you really are.

Right?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:55 am

junglesmacks wrote:Using acronyms makes you look at LEAST eighty percent smarter than you really are.

Right?

ROFLMFAO.. only if it doesnt get ya killed txting LOL while driving IMHO.
BlackRockCityPimp

Return to 2012 Theme Camps