Early Access...in & out privileges?

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Early Access...in & out privileges?

Postby GizmoGadgetGuy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm looking at setting up a camp in 2012 (popped my cherry at Rites of Passage, will never be the same again), and am wondering about getting everything on-site that I want to have there.

If I get Early Access Privileges, will I be allowed to enter and exit a few times? What I'm thinking about, is hauling stuff to the playa and making several trips of it, and doing it myself rather than paying whatever the powers-that-be to get it hauled in.

Things might be different in 2012, so I'm actually asking if people were allowed to do this in 2011.

Thanks

Giz
They call me MISTER Gizmo Gadget Guy.
From Silicon Valley.
GizmoGadgetGuy

Re: Early Access...in & out privileges?

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

If you get an Early Arrivals Pass (registering your theme camp and getting placement, etc), then you'll be able to leave and return to the playa at no charge prior to 6pm on Sunday. Afterwards, it carries the same nominal fee per person (I think $20).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby GizmoGadgetGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 am

Very cool, thanks Trilobyte!
From Silicon Valley.
GizmoGadgetGuy

Postby Theres Always One » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 pm

trilobyte wrote:If you get an Early Arrivals Pass (registering your theme camp and getting placement, etc), then you'll be able to leave and return to the playa at no charge prior to 6pm on Sunday. Afterwards, it carries the same nominal fee per person (I think $20).

:?
Theres Always One

Postby Borris » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Just to elaborate some more on Trilobyte's answer.

if you leave before 6PM on Sunday you can return whenever you like without paying. you only have to pay the 20$ if you want to leave after 6PM.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby lemur » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 pm

omg leaving at 6pm on sunday for a Reno trip!

nightmare.

turn your 5 hour round trip (4 driving 1 shopping.. )

in to ..... in to a 12 hour trip! woot ;-)

no thanks
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby GizmoGadgetGuy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:00 pm

What I was thinking about, was more like staging stuff from the Bay Area to Reno or somewhere near there. Then when it comes time to get it on-site, make several trips out to it.

I'm not excited about the possibility of getting hung up in lots of traffic either.
From Silicon Valley.
GizmoGadgetGuy

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:41 pm

GizmoGadgetGuy wrote:What I was thinking about, was more like staging stuff from the Bay Area to Reno or somewhere near there. Then when it comes time to get it on-site, make several trips out to it.

I'm not excited about the possibility of getting hung up in lots of traffic either.

The ONLY way to get Early Access is to be an Officially Approved Theme Camp or art piece- just having a Really Cool Camp won't do it. Start reading up on Theme Camp requirements on the Burning Man site and see if it's something you want to do.

There is a lot of competition for a very limited number of passes, and the LLC is getting stricter on them (this is the first year since '05 my camp didn't have any, though our village did). Make sure you have back-up plans to get your stuff on-playa built in!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Minxy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Eric is incorrect. You can also get early access for volunteering for certain departments that need help before the event opens. You DO have to work for them, but you do get in early. Greeters, Gate and DPW come to mind,
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm

DMV and FAST also accept early entry. Naturally you are expected to put in shifts for the departments, but it would leave your off time to set up your camp.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Rice » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 pm

This year people involved in the Circle of Regional Effigy (CORE) were getting early entry passes as well.

So, Approved theme camps, BMorg Volunteers (DPW, Gate, Perimeter, DMV, FAST), and artists involved in large (pre-approved) art projects can get early entry passes.

I know that a early entry wristband and a ticket stub were necessary to get out & back in pre-event. (I do not recommend trying to return on Sunday any later than say noon!! Can you say 12 hours from Reno to your camp?? ;) ) Yes, the BM website says its $20 per person for in-out passes during the event (http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... /gate.html).

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm

In order to avoid traffic on your return, gate staffers had advised to make sure you returned to the playa on your Sunday trips by noon.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2012 Theme Camps