Virgin looking for a Camp(2012)

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Virgin looking for a Camp(2012)

Postby pyrocat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm looking for a Camp that I can participate in. I would like to find one based out of the SF Bay Area so that I can possibly help with any prep leading up to BM.

A little about me:
- I'm a Male in my mid 30s (Skinny nerdy kind)
- I work full-time, Monday-Friday
- My weekends are free
- I can lift 50lbs

If you have a Camp or want to make a Camp and need bodies to help, I have one! Mine.
pyrocat

Re: Virgin looking for a Camp(2012)

Postby gaminwench » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Go to Sf Decom and volunteer... you'll make lots of friends and may find a camp that intrigues you...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Very few camps actively solicit for members. Some do, most don't. You must actively sell yourself. Gaminwench is spot-on...get yerself to the SF Decom, volunteer in some way, get involved, make a name for yourself, demonstrate what you have to offer.

Keep in mind that not all theme camps have themes that appeal to all people, so you need to narrow the field to camps that you'll enjoy hanging with...and they you.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:33 pm

As leader of a theme camp I second what has been said. While we do welcome new members on occasion (and more this year than last) we have a very strict set of performance, themactic, and activity-centric mandates our people adhere to. It's like auditioning for a lead in an HBO Show or Movie - if we like what you can show us, and can hold up to our grueling schedule (which begins in about a month) then you might be considered. But unless you have something promising to show off that really kicks ass, or have the talent that would allow you to jump in as a camp leader, or at least project lead, in some other camp, you need to build your resume. And like it has been said, the best way is to volunteer with a *good* org dept, and at the same time show up and show your prosprective camp who you are, what you're about, that you're drama free, moop free, and willing to bust ass 24/7/365 to pull it all off.

Ask any of our crop of Burgins. They earn our respect - not out of a "kiss ass" thing, but a real and true desire to make our camp the best. And so far, they do. But they come in swinging, and don't stop. Just like us old timers.

Good luck, comrade!
bb sue
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:50 pm

The MOOP Nazi Brigade is looking for new recruits that we may properly indoctrinate into the ways of being rabidly anti MOOP and maniacly dedicated to the eradication of the Playa Chicken menace.

Even if you chose another camp to stay at and devote your time to, we do offer a "part-time" indoctrination package that would simply require you to scream at people dropping MOOP, pointing out flagrant violations of LNT in a loud and embarassing way, and wearing a patch when you do this.

We are completely equal opportunity fascists and welcome all who wish to conform.
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby A Jester » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Get to know some people, then ask if they have room in their camp.

Try volunteering for SFDecom next week to meet some people.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Good advice here, thanks, I'll get involved with the L.A. Burners.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Packoderm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:09 pm

I recommend camping with the Moop Nazi Brigade. They seem welcoming enough, and their agenda can only help. Sounds like a lot of fun.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Adding to that, I'd take a look at the 2011 Moop Map before considering a camp. Those in yellow or red might be a good choice if you plan on sticking around the day after the temple burn to help clean things up. If you plan to dash out early before cleanup, a green camp might be the better option.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby pyrocat » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I guess I did what I always do and that is to jump in feet first with my eyes closed while looking at the Moon. After tons of reading and internet sleuthing, I have gone from "In it to win it!" to.. "Mommy!?". Burning Man is huge and I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do or how I want to be involved. I'm planning to attend Decompression and just relax for a little while before I commit myself to anything.

As of now, my focus is on being self sufficient and self-sustainable. I feel like this is what Burning Man is about at it's core. Joining up with a big Theme Camp right now, before I have learned any of the lessons, seems like seeing New York from a Broadway Stage. We'll see what Decompression is like and how that does or does not inspire me to commit to a Camp. For now, I'm not going to stress about it.
pyrocat

Postby Candybox » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:17 pm

BM is perfectly amazing without joining a theme camp.

My first year, I camped down and dirty with a couple friends and a tent. We were set up/cleaned up within a couple hours. It was bare bones, far from luxurious, but it got the job done, and I relished the freedom that came with it. Everything I did was on my own terms—where to go, how to spend my time, where to be.
Candybox

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:43 pm

I personally love the fact that The Dude and I have been picked up (potentially) for a Camp even tho' 2012 will be our 1st Burn. Socially, I like to be involved with things, I'm a true lend-a-hand Type and The Dude is as well. Plus, we're not over-the-top rowdycrazy and we're not types that need baby sitting, our hard-partying years are well behind us (although we get pretty *festive* now and then still at intervals throughout the year of course). So I think we've truly lucked out; now we just need to sign up for specific things to help with within our Camp and continue to work on our List daily as we do, we're acquiring items as I write this...wait, I should talk about them in the 1 item a day Thread.. :wink:
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Brenda » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:22 am

We're a new and fairly informal camp applying for official status this year. We are actively recruiting new members. We have friends in other camps but those camps don't really express what we love about BM. I just posted a notice: Camp DIY
Brenda

Return to 2012 Theme Camps