undecided to perform: loop-pedal-improv, jawharp/drone/poems

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

undecided to perform: loop-pedal-improv, jawharp/drone/poems

Postby mattmelnicki » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 pm

hi folks,

i have been making music in my bedroom for some time, & recently started to perform in public (first time last month, at Critical Massive!)...
yet i'm undecided whether i want to do this on the playa this year!

i'm hesitant to blab about myself like some of these other "let me DJ dubstep at your camp!" messages...
but, my local burner buddy (Rock, from the honorarium project "Pins") thinks my palette would be much welcomed by the techno-tired.

my problems holding me back are:
-- nervousness
-- the talk of excessive dust this year
-- not really wanting to pimp myself to find venues
-- needing electricity

Mutant vehicles might actually be a nice venue, since all of the music I make is unplanned and builds on itself over time, as I add layers to the loop.
I'm too timid to play on a conventional stage, but i'd do it if encouraged by someone's enthusiasm.
Or what about playing at an art installation?

None of this is computer-based; it uses a microphone, a loop pedal, and a guitar effects processor. (+ a small mini-amp?).
Instrumentally, it is mostly processed voice (cooing & humming?), with some help from pocket-sized instruments like jaw-harps and harmonicas and egg-shakers,etc.
As I also enjoy writing poetry, I like to add odd phrases to the loops sometimes, always improvisationally, usually by opening to random pages from a personal journal or found source material, and doing an improvisational cull.

(i won't drop a link, but if you're interested, you can google it -- "Scriptures I Have Loathed" -- as there are some examples on soundcloud and last.fm)

what are your thoughts?
i have plenty of other "contributions" for the playa, so i won't feel like a tool or tourist if i chicken out and don't do this...
== EASTERN WASHINGTON: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kprburners/ ==
"Pins" // "Marzipan Man" // "Spines" (soon!)
mattmelnicki

Burning Since: 2010

Re: undecided to perform: loop-pedal-improv, jawharp/drone/p

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 am

wikipedia, offering up a wealth of better alternatives than the euphamism 'Jaw's Harp' wrote:This instrument is native to Asia and used in all tribes of Turkic peoples in Asia where it is variously referred to as a temir komuz (literally, iron komuz), agiz komuzu (literally, mouth komuz), gubuz or doromb.

The instrument is known in many different cultures by many different names. The common English name "Jew's harp" may be considered controversial or potentially misleading, and is thus avoided by some speakers. Other speakers believe the avoidance of the term to be offensive and deliberately use the term so as not to cause offense. Another name used to identify the instrument, especially in scholarly literature, is the older English trump, while guimbarde, the French word for the instrument, can be found in unabridged dictionaries and is featured in recent revival efforts.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 am

We're running a radio broadcast this year, if you'd like to sign up for a time slot. I think one of our spinoff camps has several musicians in it also.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/436193619747276/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby mattmelnicki » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Crypto: i appreciate you pointing that out, though I do primarily use the European variety (not to mention makers... I want to get more from the Hungarian Zóltan Szilágyi... that man is quite talented).
I have some from India (Morchang/Morsing), as well as a Vietnamese variety (Dan Moi).

The man from whom I bought many of them says on his website:
... a more ancient name of "TRUMP" is gaining acceptance. The instrument has hundreds of names around the world. (Mouthmusic)

Nevertheless, I think "jaw harp" probably helps people understand what it is, and certainly you use your jaw a lot with this type of instrument!
Last edited by mattmelnicki on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattmelnicki

Postby mattmelnicki » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 pm

mudpuppy, thanks...
if i decide to bring my stuff, i'll get in touch...
i suppose i'll bring at least a couple jaw harps, no matter what, but there's nothing exciting about me playing solo without the loop pedal...
mattmelnicki

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

I think loop-back music is pretty neat and I'd love to see it in person. Good luck on the playa!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Return to 2012 Art & Performance