The SoundPuddle - an immersize sound reactive space

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Postby freshkale » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 am

Hi, I'm John, the project lead on SoundPuddle. It's an interactive space in which any sound you make creates ripples of color on a canopy of thousands of LEDs. It's sort of like a rudimentary holodeck, and perhaps the world's only fully immersive sound visualizer.

The project began from an art grant from Apogaea (the Colorado regional Burn) earlier this year. That was sort of a beta-run, and it went really well. People were interacting with it from dusk to dawn each night, and there were many awesome acoustic performances. Here's a video from a test setup:

and here's a video of an impromptu performance inside the space at Apo

Everyone inside the SoundPuddle shares a common acoustic space. This leads to surprising improvisation and play among participants. Entering the space on the open Playa, may find the it filled by musical performance, acapella singing, monkey chanting, spontaneous harmonizing, or fits of giggles and laughter. It's an incredible environment for acoustic music, and a unique tool for playing with the science of sound.

We want to bring to the Burning Man, Flipside, and Apogaea again in 2013. Most of the hard work is done, but we're trying to crowd-source funds to repair and improve the installation. Unfortunately it's a rather expensive installation to create and maintain, and I've already put more into this project this year than I have into rent!

We just launched a kickstarter campaign yesterday, and we need all the help we can get! This is a really awesome interactive installation, and it's worth supporting to bring to the Playa and other regional burns. If you want to help, see our kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... oundpuddle

All the hardware and software is open source and available on github (github.com/soundpuddle). It's based on the Zpuino platform, which is an Arduino based FPGA system running on a Papilio FPGA board. It's a really great model for other interactive electronics projects, so check it out. The main project website is at: http://soundpuddle.org
Last edited by freshkale on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
freshkale

Re: The SoundPuddle - an immersize sound reactive space

Postby shykat » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

Awesome..........nice job.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby freshkale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am

The SoundPuddle is an interactive space of techno-synaesthesia. Inside this 24 foot wide dome any sound you make creates ripples of light and color. This is, perhaps, the world's only total immersive sound visualizer. The project is totally open source, and all our code is shared online.

Our kickstarter campaign only has 2 days left, and we're close but need more help to reach the goal and receive funding!

We're doing everything we can to share the project and find more support. This weekend we even took part of the installation to the Pearl Street walking mall in Boulder, giving the general public a new experience with interactive electronic art!

We've got some excellent kickstarter rewards, and when you experience the SoundPuddle in person on the playa you'll be proud to know you helped make it real. There's only a couple of days left, let's make it happen!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1464351351/soundpuddle
freshkale

Re: The SoundPuddle kickstarter needs your help!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Cool. Is this your first time on the playa with this?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby freshkale » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 am

Yeap. This SoundPuddle is still a work in progress, and the kickstarter is funding it's completion.

Last year we did the Sound Reactive Flowers in deep playa.
freshkale

Postby moonrise » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 am

Wow! The Sound Puddle works really well. Check out the other youtubes, especially the ones filled with laughter and you''ll see for yourself. :lol:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:57 am

wow that is the biggest marijuana pipe ive ever seen
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: The SoundPuddle - an immersize sound reactive space

Postby pizzamancer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Congratulations on getting funded.

FUCK YER ART!
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Return to 2012 Art & Performance