Party Rock Shufflin' - Organized Dance

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Party Rock Shufflin' - Organized Dance

Postby sovamind » Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Alright... I have decided that one of the things I must do at Burning Man this year is dance the Party Rock Shuffle with a huge group. I know that this is going to happen at some point on the Playa so it is just a matter of learning the dance and practicing. Then I started searching to see who is organizing this already and couldn't find anything!

SO LIKE A GOOD BURNER, I'M VOLUNTEERING TO HELP MAKE IT HAPPEN!

What is Party Rock? What is shufflin'?
Watch this video first (already cued up to the choreographed dance we will do):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Pj8#t=218s

We can all learn and practice the dance with this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtaGmyqk9vY

HOW WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

1) Everyone needs to learn the dance, and practice. Since this can't really be done over the Internet this is how I suggest we do it.
a) Watch the videos above and start practicing at home.
b) Now you need to find others to practice with in your area. Contact your regionals and see if you can organize a local group.
c) Consider practicing and doing a performance at your regional burn if you haven't already had yours. I am currently organizing Portland, Oregon, and we will do a performance / practice at our regional burn SOAK.

2) Organize for on Playa
a) Regional coordinators, get a hold of me and we can start to work out details.
b) I will work with the BORG to get the event registered in the Who/What/Where guide once we have figured out the best time / place / date.
c) Right now I am thinking about doing this at Center Camp like the Thriller has been done so many years prior.

3) We might want to consider taking this to other places on playa flash mob style. This wedding: viewtopic.php?f=282&t=55040 is requesting a flash mob crash it. How fun would that be?

4) Maybe one of the camps on Playa would like to host dance lessons on playa before the dance so others can learn last minute too?

Who's down with joining me? Thinking if local groups can meet once a week with individual practice for about 15-30 minutes a night will have us looking like pros in just a few weeks. Then you can dance to the song every time you here it up until you leave for the playa and we will all be super ready.

Sova
Every day M Shufflin'
sovamind

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Re: Party Rock Shufflin' - Organized Dance

Postby jaosaab » Fri May 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi there,

just like you can read my mind. that's what I wanna do also. I really like LMFAO and the shuffling is so much fun. I tried to learn it from youtube a couple months ago but I really suck at this.

I live in SF Bay area. I can organize a group in the bay area. anyone want to join me? please email me at fivejaaa (at) gmail (dot) com.

everyday I'm shuffling ;)
5ive
jaosaab

Postby pirotechnics » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey Sova,

First of all, respect for putting out there and trying to make it happen :)

For any1 who is a fan of the dance style or Just enjoys doing it, you may find this interesting (plus I just want to point it out)
"Party Rock Shufflin" is actually "The Melbourne Shuffle" but LMAFO stole it!

Google or youtube search "the Melbourne Shuffle" and see for yourself.

You can also check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Shuffle

Now, that I have pointed that out, I would like to put my hand up to host "Melbourne Shuffle" dance lessons on playa before the dance so others can learn last minute too :)

In Melbourne we have had group Shuffles all over the city. I even used to work in a shop (M.O.S) where we had in shop Shuffle comps. Personally I've been a Shuffler for over 10 years and while my fitness & style may not be what it was I would still love to see a mass group Shuffle on the playa.
Peace, Love & Fire!

http://pirotechnics.net/
pirotechnics

Burning Since: 2011

Postby carefactornil » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 am

Hey,

Massive Kudos for not just waiting for someone else to make something awesome happen!

Well, I see you've spotted my other thread about the flashmob at the wedding and I'm totally up for that if you get this ball rolling - just sad that I won't be able to join in if you do! Well, I suppose I COULD join in too, which would be pretty awesome! But I've got a collosal art project to finish AND I've got to choreograph/learn my own wedding dance too. But if I get time for this you can count me in.

Best of luck, and if this is going to happen, then keep me posted and we can liaise about crashing my wedding. FYI, that's happening at 5.30pm on the Thursday at the Syncytium Maze entrance.

Good luck!

Cheese Simon
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby carefactornil » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am

One other recommendation - if you really want this to gain traction in terms of numbers, drop an email to Will Chase (JRS) and try and get this published in either the JRS or the BM Facebook page.
carefactornil

Postby HoopNymph » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I am in for the wedding crash and flash mob elsewhere. Will start gathering a few dancers and practicing! Modesto area-if anyone else interested. Cheese Simon (carefactornil)-is this happening on Thursday as you stated on this thread or Friday as stated on your other thread?
HoopNymph

Postby wh..sh » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

I may or may not already have my party rock pants :)

Just say the word and I will come party playa shuffle.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby carefactornil » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Wedding is 5.30pm, Thursday at the Syncytium maze entrance.
carefactornil

Return to 2012 Art & Performance