Would you flash mob my wedding!?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Would you flash mob my wedding!?

Postby carefactornil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:53 am

All,

I'm getting married at BM this year. We're building a giant art piece out on the playa to do it at - more details on that once the application is done & dusted.

The wedding ceremony won't be convential in all sort of ways and will take place around 5.30pm on the Friday, the day before the man burns.

But I had an idea the other day - it would be an awesome surprise gift for my soon-to-be-wife if a group of strangers flash-mobbed her/us at the wedding. The actual content of the flash mob is undecided, but something relatively simple like a song would be cool, especially if it's one of her faves.

She doesn't use eplaya, so no worries about her finding out about this on here!

What do people think? Would YOU do it? Do you think I could co-ordinate on the eplaya and rely on enough people actually showing up on time (it IS Burning Man after all!)to do it? Of course, if it didn't happen for any reason, it wouldn't be an integral part of our ceremony, but I think it could be fun. We could have a simple visual code sign so that people who arrive know all those planning to do it - say a red ribbon tied round their right arm, as an example.

Any questions/suggestions, just shoot. This is just testing the waters to see what people think.

Cheese Simon, UK
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Re: Would you flash mob my wedding!?

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 am

If you felt daring enough, you could always attempt to make it a WWW event.. but then you do run the risk of her reading it and finding out.

Personally, I flip through the thing maybe once just for some brief entertainment and then never look at it again. Same goes for the girl.. she doesn't really pay attention to it either.. but as we all know, many do and anything that's published in there will get some type of guaranteed turnout.

Just a thought..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Minxy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:48 am

I think it sounds fun!

I'd be willing to show up IF I'm not working at that time. =)

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We got married last year at the temple and it was wonderful. Kooky, unconventional, weird and fabulous!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby ygmir » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 am

I'd say, "playa time" will play into it.......if you could time it, near another big event, and folks could combine the two, in their minds, it might be more likely they'd show.
Or, if you could get 400 volunteers, you'd have a good chance of at least a dozen showing up, on time......

but, it's a great idea!!
and congratulations!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby carefactornil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks. She's fairly off the grid when it comes to the other WWW (World Wide Web) so discussions online are very low risk. But she's read the other WWW the last 2 times we were at BM, so I reckon that's a bit too risky.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby brittknee555 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:21 am

If nothing else, I'm sure you could get people into the idea once you get there... I will "plan" to do it, but who knows what will happen many months from now when I'm playing in the dust with all of you :)
Personally, if one of my neighbors approached me with this, I would most likely do my absolute best to plan around it. A wedding flash mob sounds lovely :mrgreen:

*edit* I bet it wouldn't take more than 30 mins to an hour to coordinate, I would think that if a group of people all met about an hour before the flash mob was supposed to happen that would be plenty of time to make it memorable. There are definitely enough creative minds that would be able to choreograph something amazing!
brittknee555

Postby delle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:47 am

brittknee555 wrote:I bet it wouldn't take more than 30 mins to an hour to coordinate, I would think that if a group of people all met about an hour before the flash mob was supposed to happen that would be plenty of time to make it memorable. There are definitely enough creative minds that would be able to choreograph something amazing!

Which would make it important to get yourself a mob coordinator, since this might be a bit of an iffy time for you to be running around herding cats.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby SanguinePerforms » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Absolutely!!!
SanguinePerforms

Postby Savannah » Mon May 14, 2012 10:31 pm

delle wrote:
brittknee555 wrote:I bet it wouldn't take more than 30 mins to an hour to coordinate, I would think that if a group of people all met about an hour before the flash mob was supposed to happen that would be plenty of time to make it memorable. There are definitely enough creative minds that would be able to choreograph something amazing!

Which would make it important to get yourself a mob coordinator, since this might be a bit of an iffy time for you to be running around herding cats.

Agreed . . . same-day coordination (with perhaps a skeleton crew of people you DO know), a mob coordinator :lol: . . . a song that won't be too hard for last-minute mobbers, and being sanguine if it goes imperfectly or not at all. Indeed, lots of stuff falls through between here and the playa, and then there's Playa Time (fueled by a general lack of timepieces on many a person) plus minor impediments of all stripes.

I do know that if I were suddenly told of a wedding flash mob in an hour I'd probably join it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 am

Somehow, when I read the thread title I think of a mob of flashers. Then I think of a mob of shirt cockers. That would probably be pretty easy...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wh..sh » Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 am

Savannah wrote:I do know that if I were suddenly told of a wedding flash mob in an hour I'd probably join it.

Me too!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Tue May 15, 2012 10:40 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Somehow, when I read the thread title I think of a mob of flashers. Then I think of a mob of shirt cockers. That would probably be pretty easy...

Sometimes it's even a matter of convincing them to disperse while you're still in the mood to eat your sandwich. :shock:
Savannah

Return to 2012 Art & Performance