Transformoney Tree

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Transformoney Tree

Postby dadara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:31 pm

The Transformoney Tree will be the next stage of our Art as Money project, and the follow-up to the Exchanghibition Bank installation on the Playa in 2011. It will again deal with the value(s) of Money and Art in that vast moneyless desert. We are really happy that we received a Burning Man Art Grant, but we will still need your help! We won’t need money, but we will need lots and lots of one-dollar bills……..Does this sound a bit cryptic? Please read on and we will try to show, explain, and hopefully get you involved!

Our current form of currency has turned from a neutral medium of exchange into a belief system, that mortgages the present moment for a seemingly never arriving future payoff.

Participants will be able to pick Exchanghibition Banknotes from the tree, while decorating its bark by gluing one-dollar bills onto it. In the process of interaction the dollar bills will lose their financial value, but will add value to the artwork.

Are the roots of this tree the roots of all evil or the roots of all happiness? Hopefully they’ll become the roots of a new consciousness!

Money has become almost a part of our Nature, so it’s difficult to realize that for a big part of their history humans have lived without Money, and maybe this will be the case again in the future. But even long after Money will be gone, Nature will still be there and we might still be able to pick things of real value from trees.

For this project we will need a lot of one-dollar bills and we will need your help: we are going to ask you for money – not as a financial instrument though, but as a material to create art……..

Interested to help us collect one-dollar bills? Send us an email at inartwetrust (at) artasmoney (dot) com , or PM me. Any suggestion of how to collect the physical banknotes are appreciated as well.

(Please realize that since we are based in Amsterdam collecting physical dollar banknotes might be a bigger challenge than you think……..)

Yours Bankingly and Dreamingly and Paintingly

Dadara

PS we posted the same text and image on the project blog, so it can be shared easily via your social networks, after all we will need the community to make this work :D
link is here:http://blog.artasmoney.com/art-as-money/transformoney-tree-burning-man-2012/
dadara

Re: Transformoney Tree

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Well, you could always fund-raise along conventional lines, then pick up the one-dollar-bills at any bank branch office. (You might need to order them in advance, since they might not normally have that many on hand.)

Oh, and you might want to investigate whether there might be a law against destroying money. Seems I once read there was -- something about upsetting the nation's carefully regulated supply of the stuff.

Interesting idea. The basic concept of money as a simple exchange medium has certainly become corrupted by various forms of speculation.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby delle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Wouldn't the money better come straight from the hands of burners tho? I like it.

I'm sure to have a couple of US ones around here someplace.

Care for some Canadian loonies as embelishments? Got those too.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby dadara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:56 pm

delle wrote:Wouldn't the money better come straight from the hands of burners tho? I like it.

I'm sure to have a couple of US ones around here someplace.

Care for some Canadian loonies as embelishments? Got those too.

I agree with delle that it's much cooler if we could really collect thousands of physical banknotes instead of an internet fundraising campaign and later exchange at the bank. I prefer to leave the banks out of it! Except of course our own Exchanghibition Bank :-) And another cool thing about getting those bills straight from the hands of burners is that people giving the banknotes could also draw and write things on the banknotes and thus make it personal and give it a bit a Money 2.0 feel!

I already received messages from people who wanted to help collect the banknotes physically for us in the U.S. and feel very grateful for that! It's one of the reasons I decided to post this, so we can make it happen through a community effort, while crossing international borders.......

for those who want a little bit more information about the whole concept:

dadara

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Oh I agree! I just meant as a last resort.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby dadara » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:43 pm

Elliot wrote:Oh I agree! I just meant as a last resort.

To be honest I have been thinking about that option as well. But then again I never have been much of a 'Plan B' person.........

CEO and Founder
Exchanghibition Bank
The Art of Turning Art into Money
[url]http://www.artasmoney.com[/url]
dadara

Postby DoctorIknow » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Good idea!

Why collect before the event?

Couldn't people see the tree, say "WTF," be educated on the concept of your art, get turned on, go to their campsite and bring back currency, be involved in the piece and everyone could watch it grow as the week progressed? If it doesn't grow, THAT's the art!

I suspect you would get world currencies.

Are you restricting it to US money and why?

What kind of glue are you going to use and what will the surface for the bonding be?
DoctorIknow

Postby dadara » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:59 am

DoctorIknow wrote:Good idea!

Why collect before the event?

Couldn't people see the tree, say "WTF," be educated on the concept of your art, get turned on, go to their campsite and bring back currency, be involved in the piece and everyone could watch it grow as the week progressed? If it doesn't grow, THAT's the art!

I suspect you would get world currencies.

Are you restricting it to US money and why?

What kind of glue are you going to use and what will the surface for the bonding be?

A few good points! I have been thinking about world currencies. The initial motive for only one-dollar bills was out of aesthetic reasons (obviously aesthetic reasons are more important than financial ones.......), and I was thinking of having the tree travel and turn it into a world currency tree at a later stage, but of course Burning Man is all about Radical Inclusion, so I guess I should include world currencies from the start, as long as they are real currencies.

I love the idea of making people say 'WTF', go back to their campsite, bring back currency and instead of buying coffee or whatever donating it to the tree and gluing it on the bark. But think that spreading the word now already and starting with a lot of bills from the beginning will only stimulate this. Once there are two thousand banknotes glued on the tree I am sure it will stimulate people on the Playa much more to get involved.

As far as kinds of glue are concerned, I think I have to run a few tests. Obviously we don't want banknotes MOOPing the Playa!

It would be cool if you could post your comment under the post of the project on our blog as well to stimulate the tree growing and evolving further:
http://blog.artasmoney.com/art-as-money/transformoney-tree-burning-man-2012/

thanx!

CEO and Founder
Exchanghibition Bank
The Art of Turning Art into Money
[url]http://www.artasmoney.com[/url]
dadara

Postby tamarakay » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:11 am

The only issue with finding it, going to get money, and coming back is....well...it's so distracting out there. We had a hard time remembering where we saw stuff in the first place and each time we did find something again it looks so DIFFERENT that it was hard to tell it was the same place.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby dadara » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 am

tamarakay wrote:The only issue with finding it, going to get money, and coming back is....well...it's so distracting out there. We had a hard time remembering where we saw stuff in the first place and each time we did find something again it looks so DIFFERENT that it was hard to tell it was the same place.

Another good reason to start collecting those one-dollar banknotes now!

We now also have two physical addresses where people can send the banknotes to:

In the U.S. : Transformoney Tree, c/o Nathan Richard Phelps, 1201 18th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122, United States

In Europe : Transformoney Tree, t.a.v. Daniel Rozenberg, Govert Flinckstraat 404, 1074 CJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I am also starting to realize that this will be really challenging, since people are so used to just stay stuck behind their laptops. And it's relatively easier to donate twenty bucks by pressing the 'donate' button, then send two one-dollar bills physically in an envelope..............

But even though people keep telling me : 'Start an Indiegogo campaign and then just go to a bank and exchange the cash for one dollar bills', I still hope it will work with real banknotes and people taking real physical action, because it will make it much more powerful, and give much more value to the tree. It's interesting as well because it shows the value of our money nowadays, but also questions the value of action, love and energy, which according to me is 'priceless' and can't be replaced by those 0's and 1's running our society and lives…….

After all - financial value is only one of many values on this planet.

I also started painting a special 2.0 banknote for the tree. Of course everyone participating will receive one :D

Yours Hopingly

Dadara
dadara

Postby Nipple » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:06 pm

You can purchase sheets of US Dollar bills from our mint.

http://www.moneyfactorystore.gov/beptestsheets.aspx - 4 x 8, uncut sheet of 32 one dollar bills will cost $61. However you end up with a pretty interesting piece of paper.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 am

Hey! I think I'm going to have a "Personalization Party" and invite my friends/family over to decorate bills. Any bills. All those extra pesos you have leftover from your mexico trip? Bring em on over, let's decorate!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby geospyder » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 am

I just sent my brother-in-law, Hans, a few one dollar bills. Hopfully they make it over before next Thursday's Burning Pub.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby dadara » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

geospyder wrote:I just sent my brother-in-law, Hans, a few one dollar bills. Hopfully they make it over before next Thursday's Burning Pub.

Thanks so much geospyder! We will make sure that you will also receive one of those special Transformoney 2.0 banknotes :-)

First art materials are coming in. YAY!. It's also cool to see that some people are decorating their banknotes and thus making them personal, so you will be able to find your own spot back on the tree once it's on the Playa!

tamarakay wrote:Hey! I think I'm going to have a "Personalization Party" and invite my friends/family over to decorate bills. Any bills. All those extra pesos you have leftover from your mexico trip? Bring em on over, let's decorate!

I love this idea - let's have pre-burn art material decorating parties everywhere!
dadara

Postby dadara » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:20 am

tamarakay wrote:Hey! I think I'm going to have a "Personalization Party" and invite my friends/family over to decorate bills. Any bills. All those extra pesos you have leftover from your mexico trip? Bring em on over, let's decorate!

We did it: Lots of fun and creativity was shared last Thursday with our first 'Art Material Customizing Party' at the monthly Netherlands Burner meeting in Amsterdam!

The concept is simple:

-Invite a bunch of friends, or just random cool people

-Organize some booze, snacks, markers, and pens (doing it in a bar will take care of the first two…..)

-And last but not least: tell people to bring banknotes - preferably dollar bills, but all currencies are welcome!

And then just have fun with money ;-) The 'financial results' from this one night were pretty cool, here are some examples:

Now we hope the Burner Community across the Ocean will get involved as well, so if you'd like to organize an Art Material Customizing Party as well in your town, please let us know and we will appoint you to become an official Exchanghibition Bank Ambassador. We will send you a special envelope for the art materials, put you on the Ambassador map, and we might even pay you a few Million!

Send us an email at inartwetrust (at) artasmoney (dot) com, or pm me and let's make it happen!

Everyone participating will receive the specially designed Transformoney 2.0 banknote , which is being designed and painted now (scroll above for a first sneak peek glimpse), so you can collect enough of them for your whole team when handing over the envelope to us in the desert, or we will send them to you after our desert adventure.

Let's make this Transformoney Tree grow together!

dadara

Postby Danos » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 am

Dadara,

how is the tree growing? how far does this money tree have to reach the sky till everyone understand that money itself without some ethical purpose is so useless :(

regards

diggi danos alp
Danos

Postby masho » Tue May 01, 2012 4:55 pm

love the money artwork - looks like fun :wink:
masho

Return to 2012 Art & Performance