WhyTheNose is bringing 55,000 clown noses to the Playa!

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: WhyTheNose is bringing 55,000 clown noses to the Playa!

Postby B the B » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I thought I understood the gifting idea before my first burn so I brought out plenty of extra beer and "smokes" and gave them out freely (always ice cold too!) to anyone and everyone that wanted them. When I would return to my my cooler to find it raided it didn't matter, I considered the missing beer gifts, to jerks. I never intended to give away my favorite hammock to a woman who clearly loved it, my cane that my late father had brought me from Ireland to someone whom had twisted their ankle, or my favorite doumbek (I had searched for the perfect sounding one for years) to a guy that really needed something to concentrate on one night and really enjoyed playing it. I know all those things still exist and the people who now own them have good memories of the playa when they use or look at them. I came back with all kinds of cool stuff that does the same for me, some of it gifted anonymously (clipped to my pack behind my back or placed in the bed of my truck, or even given by the playa itself as moop). The feeling of giving away stuff, of value, to (basically) strangers, was very liberating somehow, and I think it's one of the things that makes BRC a magical place. Where I'm from, if someone walks up to you and randomly offers you something for free, it's usually a trick or a hook, and generally you want to ignore them and keep walking or you may become conned. It was so nice to be somewhere else. What does all this have to do with clown noses? I really don't know.
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:12 pm

I don't do clowns...or, er, uh...(not sure what I did). You can have your cane back ^ my ankle healed and now my back is broken...these days I need a Mutant Vehicle.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 am

junglesmacks wrote:PercusivePaul: That was a really.. good.. post.. and dead on IMHO.

I agree, except for the part where he says that "pee funnels are something that every girl wants and needs."

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Stop spreading this perniciously misogynist nonsense, you knuckleheads! Females can pee like females, neatly and quickly, without carting around a piece of nasty sticky smelly plastic. :evil:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:58 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:PercusivePaul: That was a really.. good.. post.. and dead on IMHO.

I agree, except for the part where he says that "pee funnels are something that every girl wants and needs."

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

Stop spreading this perniciously misogynist nonsense, you knuckleheads! Females can pee like females, neatly and quickly, without carting around a piece of nasty sticky smelly plastic. :evil:

Lol.. points for "perniciously misogynist nonsense"!

..and yeah.. I've never seen what the big deal is with just sitting your ass down and taking a pee. We all do it when we make #2.. what's an extra squat or two?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:17 am

*high fives*

My point exactly, (((junglesmacks))). 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:44 am

Those pee funnels are odd anyway. If you've taken a look at them, you may have noticed that the end of the tube can be substantially higher than the bottom of the cup, meaning that the pee ends up in the bottom of the cup, not in whatever vessel you're funneling it too. I suppose that's okay in the JotS, you can just invert the cup over the basin when you're done. But in a bottle in your tent? You're better off holding it, or going to the JotS.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:59 am

Well, that pretty much nips my plan for 55,000 strap-on pee funnel noses in the bud.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby H.G.Crosby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 am

sftex wrote:Thanks so much for all the input....I DO have answers and this is ALL VERY CONSTRUCTIVE and exactly the type of interactive, community driven responses I expect and appreciate in our community.
I'm very busy today and will put a lot of thought into my next post...but PLEASE KEEP IT COMING!
Seriously, thank you all :)

PS, regarding all this Santa nonsense, I'm also Santa:

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/world-record-most-naked-santas

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WOULD EXPECT A CLOWN TO SAY !!!

one is Either Santa, or a Clown, there is no SantaClown....that is abomination created by the novelty presses of the Circus Elites to confuse the general public.

This Person obviously works for Bozo and cannot be trusted.....easiest way to tell, look at their shoes, you cant hide Clown feet.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:17 am

fuck you, it's magic

more panky, less hanky

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby percussivepaul » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 am

I humbly retract my unsupportable statement regarding pee funnels. How about replace 'all' with 'many', and 'wants and needs' with 'enjoys and appreciates'? You get my point, anyway. There's high demand for them.
percussivepaul

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:18 am

percussivepaul wrote:...I don't feel being given one would cause any kind of transcendent experience...

Me either. Have you tried wearing your hat backwards? Just asking.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 am

sftex> ... people politely declining is always their option...
percussivepaul>... the gift exchange becomes flipped, and suddenly the person with the clown nose wants it to be taken ...
sftex wrote:... I KNOW this is RIGHT...

No thanks.
I've got places to go, things to do, people to see. Not spending my valuable burn time hauling around little bags of noses to hand out, nor explaining to people why they should conform to wear one.

Wear one? The default world has its pressure to conform. Now when I come to the playa you want me to conform?
No thanks.
Burn Time is My Time to do what I want.

That said.
You're anticipating a demand for 55,000 of them? You've done 150 somewhere with success. Perhaps 2012 should be a test run. Say 500 of them. 500 people you can connect to, which appears to be where the magic is (not in trying to get the city to gift you with a media op).
If you really want to raise the demand, create a scarcity. Proven marketing tactic: have a lottery for a limited number of red clown noses.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Re: Litte Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:44 am

sftex wrote:... put the nose and a card (with how to reach me with pictures or stories) into a tiny ziplock baggie...

At least it looks like your plan has an objective.
So, lets see, that's 55,000 red plastic noses, 55,000 little plastic bags, 55,000 cards. How much space does this take up and how will you get it to the playa?

... At least they're easy to spot and pick up...

If you're recruiting an army to hand them out, are you recruiting an army to pick up how many of the
  • 55,000 noses Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds,
  • 55,000 tiny plastic bags, and
  • 55,000 cards
that end up loose?
How much space will 55,000 noses, 55,000 plastic bags and 55,000 cards take up when collected as MOOP?
Where will it be collected to?

What will BLM say (or do) if 5,000 of them get past the fence? Past the edge of the playa and out into the Black Rock Desert?
What's the potential environmental impact of whatever plastic the Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds are made of? All the little plastic bags?

MOOP question.
If something takes an inordinate amount of time (a crew spending a week clearing the entire playa? its edge? or out into the BRD?) or other resources (another rental bin?) to clean up, and the MOOP can be traced back to individuals or an organization responsible, can they be presented with a bill for the cleanup?

Question: how many of those that want one (or more) of these want them to wear them on their nose?
Canoe

Postby sftex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Well, it's taken some time to reply and I've been a bit sick the last few days...I'm going to try to really get into what this project means for me here.
Really, if any of the helpful people here would take some time to read through my website and blog and even the Facebook page, some of this discussion might have been avoided.
However, I understand that it's easier to have a knee-jerk reaction than to dig into WhyTheNose as a project. OK, that's all I'll say about that :D

-------------------------------
I'll gladly discuss MOOP and the 55K noses a little further down, but let me say this:

My goal isn't to force a nose on every face at the Burn, nor do I expect people to squee with joy when they get it. (although many do)
The people I WANT to AND DO impact who squee and laugh out loud when they are presented with a nose ARE the "normals" out in public.
I wasn't projecting that everyone who got a nose at the Burn would react like that...it works out IN REAL LIFE like a magic bullet and that's the point.
I've seen NOTHING that gets to people hearts faster than this, again READ MY SITE, BLOG AND FACEBOOK.
Or call me, I've got nothing but time to tell each and every one of you how this mission is the heart of what we are trying to accomplish out at the Burn....
MAKING THE WORLD A BIT MORE LIKE OUR IDEALS OF LOVE AND COMMUNITY.
-------------------------------

So, WhyTheNose isn't your normal art project, it's not an art project at all. It started out as that, kinda, but it transformed into the purpose of my life.
I wear it out in public everywhere, 90% of the time...I save the other 10% for my lovely duo, Catherine DuBois b/c the non-stop attention/evangelizing platform gets to her after awhile and I fully support her first.

Let me ask you:
What does your "art" or reason for being a Burner do for people everyday? This isn't a flippant or negatively slanted question, it's just a simple question.
YOU have to dig deep and answer that for yourself.
For me, the nose brings in people everyday who are looking for something to smile about...fuck, ANYTHING TO SMILE ABOUT.
People tell me every day, "Man, you made my day" or "I really needed a smile, b/c..." (insert horrible story about disappointment/heartache/despair/etc)
Or, they'll just be dumbfounded that a reasonably good looking, erudite, natty, sharp guy is standing in line with them at Whole Foods with a smile on his face and a damn clown nose.
Trust me, I see myself in the mirror and it's hilarious and redonk simultaneously.
It reaches through that, seemingly, impermeable barrier that separates us all today. The creative dissonance forces a reaction out of THOSE WHO NEED IT and THEY GET PULLED IN.
At that point, maybe I'm gentle and listen. Sometimes, I go right for-the-throat and ask them, "Well, have you ever heard of Burning Man?"
Either way, I know how to guide them through the "Why?" and find a way to encourage/enlighten and lift them up.
Sometimes they cry, sometimes we both cry...it's a connection.
AND IT HAPPENS ONCE OR TWICE OR THREE TIMES A DAY..in fact, Tuesday it happened 5 times.
One of those times was when an aged hippie who used to hang out with all the figures you'd imagine in San Francisco during the 60's told me with a big smile,
"I thought this kind of thing was dead and here you are doing what we used to do...I'm proud to meet you man"
(and then he gets into his new Lexus 4x4...this was no bedraggled guy, he was OG and made it in life)
I get that shit all the time and it makes me cry.

My whole life I was told I should be a preacher or a lawyer..since I was a little kid.
Now is that time for me, when everything, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING, is aligning to put this project in the spotlight and start a movement.
Heck, WhyTheNose might even be getting big media attention soon (shhhhhhh)
So, all the above is why I'm NOT scaling back the mission, I'm NOT taking criticism for being bold enough to suggest that this will work, because IT WILL.
Perhaps, if you think I'm crazy for declaring that I AM DIVINE and YOU ARE DIVINE and WE ARE ALL DIVINE and our ONLY GOAL in life is to make this world a better place, then maybe you should sell your coveted ticket to Fertility 2.0 now.
Seriously, just get rid of it to another Burner who needs it, because you clearly DON'T understand the God's Eye View of the opportunity YOU and I have by attending Burning Man 2012.
(again, you can call me if you wish, I can talk about this for hours and do every day...)

If you don't believe me and you are still unconvinced, here's what got me to accept that I was made for this...an excellent vlog by John Halcyon Styn:

I don't have pink hair, but I'm RIGHT THERE WITH THIS AWESOME GUY and he's doing it with Hugs.

You can also look at Kim Corbin, who, after Burning Man, quit her corporate job and devotes her life to teaching people about skipping, which she witnessed on Playa:

http://iskip.com

I'm just the latest in a series of Pronoia Hippies who found their purpose and it works and it's easy and it's time, period.
Either you're laughing with me, or you're laughing at me, as long as you're laughing.

--------------------------------------------

Now to MOOP concerns:

Almost everything can be MOOP on Playa, we agree, right?
So, once it's gifted and accepted or requested and the Nose in in their hands, is it not THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to keep it from becoming MOOP?
I camp at Left of PassEgchh, right next to Center Camp Artica...check the post-Burn MOOP maps, you'll find us in the GREEN.
My duo and I have a large "camp" at "JuPlaya" and you'd never know we were there.
I help setup and clean at Decom and the BYOBW Big Wheel Races on Easter in San Francisco. My favorite companion is a trashbag...
Not to be "Burnier Than Thou", but in the 5 years since life led me here and put me in the middle of all this wonder, I've hauled hundreds and hundreds of pounds of trash and made sure that Leave No trace is a first concern.
I've also spit on the Playa, so if you're gonna go crazy about the possibility of an errant nose and the trash fence, please arrest me for the lack of judgement when I've had to clear my throat in deep Playa first.
Speaking of Juplaya -

Now, on to the 55K noses.
I'm taking one for each person, which is FUCKING LUDICROUS, it's a mad man's wish. But so was Larry and Burning Man, right? So is 99% of the "Extreme Comedy" that Chicken John Renaldi does everyday.
I don't expect for everyone to get one, only THAT IT'S AVAILABLE.
AND, that attendees can take AS MANY AS THEY WISH HOME.
Already, I've had calls and emails and it looks like there will be thousands spread around the world in dusty RVs, cars, trucks and as baggage on airplanes after the Burn.
Plus, hell, it's awesome media fodder because it's just that stupid (stupid in similarity to people building 40 foot high wooden dragons or Tron-like Stealth Trojan Horses and burning those too)

I'm really blessed by all of you and this thread and I'm making it happen.
Either you're with me, or you aren't, but we are all in THIS together and now is YOUR chance to make a difference.
If you don't want to assist, cool. JUST DO SOMETHING THIS YEAR THAT YOU'LL BE PROUD OF WHEN YOU GO HOME TO WHEREVER THAT IS AND YOU TELL PEOPLE YOU WERE AT BURNING MAN 2012.
What will you tell them you accomplished for the world?

Tex
sftex

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 pm

:D
ELLIOT'S BURN SCHEDULE:

Monday: Setup.

Tuesday: Wear Tutu.

Wednesday: Wear clown nose.

Thursday: ePlaya meet-n-greet.

Friday:

Saturday: Volunteer Lamplighters 3 P.M.

Sunday:

Monday:

Say... how do these things stay on? Should I bring some sort of glue?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Technicians needed! Naked or otherwise. Fix flats only? You're in!

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby sftex » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm

:D
Elliot, they are split in the middle and simply pressure-fit on your nose...no glue needed :P
sftex

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 pm

You haven't seen my Heavyweight Champeeeen Of The World nose, have you? :lol:

Elliot

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:26 pm

sftex wrote:...Now to MOOP concerns:
Almost everything can be MOOP on Playa, we agree, right? So, once it's gifted and accepted or requested and the Nose in in their hands, is it not THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to keep it from becoming MOOP?...

As the argument goes, 55,000 pieces of potential trash wouldn't be out there at all if someone like you didn't bring them.

On the plus side, they aren't sky lanterns.

Bob

Postby sftex » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:21 pm

So, as the argument goes, Bob...this all comes down to MOOP?
If that's my obstacle, I'll take full responsibility and gather a team to check the trash fence every day.
And I agree, these aren't sky lanterns :)

Now that we have the MOOP concern covered, anyone else have anything positive and constructive to add?

Tex
sftex

Postby Nipple » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Is it constructive to add that I have Coulrophobia?
Nipple

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:51 pm

It's all about pushing Clowndries Nipple. The road to recovery is long (their big shoes do scare me at times) but you can do it!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Nipple » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm hoping that exposure therapy will work.

Maybe I can start by seeing Eric, then being close to Eric, and then eventually touching Eric. That might solve "The clown problem."
Nipple

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Wow, you got it bad Nip. Imagine if that ball pit you liked so much were a nose pit? What would you do?!!
moonrise

Postby percussivepaul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Tex, I still think you're overreaching in many different dimensions and I believe you would have a better experience if you scaled back both in magnitude and in expectations. I think a lot of valid concerns have been raised (and I am not convinced MOOP has been settled, despite your optimism), but if you are not dissuaded, well, at least you have my respect for having a bold vision and being dedicated to pulling it off. I hope this project brings you happiness, and best wishes for a great burn. (Though you could perhaps at least dial it down to 54,999, as I am not really a clown nose kind of person.)
percussivepaul

Postby Canoe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:13 am

sftex wrote:...so if you're gonna go crazy about the possibility of an errant nose and the trash fence...

I don't think anyone would be concerned about the possibility of an errant nose on the trash fence.
However, one question is: what is the potential impact (environmental, BLM, ?) if 5,000 Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds get past the perimeter fence and roll out into the Black Rock Desert?
An answer to that question please?

sftex wrote:...I'm going to try to really get into what this project means for me here...
...The people ... who squee and laugh out loud when they are presented with a nose ARE the "normals" out in public...
...it transformed into the purpose of my life...
...Now is that time for me ... put this project in the spotlight and start a movement...
...Perhaps, if you think I'm crazy ... then maybe you should sell your coveted ticket to Fertility 2.0 now...
...you clearly DON'T understand the God's Eye View of the opportunity YOU and I have by attending Burning Man 2012...
...as long as you're laughing...

I assure you I'm not laughing.

To take an analogy from some pilots' approach to landing an aircraft:
  • Some private pilots may plan and execute their landing approach, and if everything goes well, they land. If something goes wrong, the landing is aborted and they're scrambling into a adhoc "missed approach".
  • Other pilots plan and execute a landing approach with a missed approach at the end, and if everything goes well, they abort the missed approach and land the aircraft.
On a small scale, to use the MOOP concern for an example, this might suggest something like your considering a plan to patrol the perimeter fence to police errant Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds. But a more accurate example would be along the lines of:
  • the wind blows 5,000 Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds through the fence and rolls them off the playa into the desert, with people going "oh shit, what do we do now", versus
  • having a plan for a team to deploy to the surrounding Black Rock Desert to retrieve Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds if they get off the playa, and then when they don't, the team goes "Yay!" and has a party while wearing Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds.
But what I'm really getting at is:

Seeing your "the purpose of my life" has me concerned that you've put an awful lot of eggs into this basket...
Without killing your enthusiasm, drive, etc., are you prepared if this project doesn't work out as you expect it to?
Does your "the purpose of my life" have a "Plan B"?
No, I don't want to know what it is. Have you considered the possibility.

p.s. Have you seen Red Nose Day? http://www.rednoseday.com/about
Canoe

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 am

sftex wrote:So, as the argument goes, Bob...this all comes down to MOOP?
If that's my obstacle, I'll take full responsibility and gather a team to check the trash fence every day.
And I agree, these aren't sky lanterns :)

Now that we have the MOOP concern covered, anyone else have anything positive and constructive to add?

Three eplaya moderators gave you the thumbs-up, do you really need any more thumbs up there?

The trinkets people bring as "gifts" are, admittedly, a very small part of the overall moop stream, but aren't they the most preventable? Why bring cases full of easily-lost crap to a wilderness area? Ever thought about what it says about the event when other visitors to the desert come along and find raver blinkylites, pendants stamped with the stick figure you people worship, or... clown noses?

Wait, do they make clown noses out of cornstarch or wood pulp? I'd love to see 55,000 of those on fire.

Bob

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am

Bob wrote:Wait, do they make clown noses out of cornstarch or wood pulp? I'd love to see 55,000 of those on fire.

Hmmm.... 55.000 people running around with their noses on fire like Richard Pryor? For once, I want to be a spectator! :lol:

Elliot

Postby unjonharley » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Elliot wrote:
Bob wrote:Wait, do they make clown noses out of cornstarch or wood pulp? I'd love to see 55,000 of those on fire.

Hmmm.... 55.000 people running around with their noses on fire like Richard Pryor? For once, I want to be a spectator! :lol:

My clown nose is charcoal grey.. Indicating it was burned out from last nights partying. Along with a very large gout inflamed foot/sneaker
unjonharley

Postby Gravybrain » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 am

Just going to thow in my .02... I loved the "Why the Nose" video last year and while I love the concept as well I'm going to have to be on the side of 55,000 is a bad idea because of MOOP... there is just no way that a large majority of these are not going to "escape" and given that they are very light the wind could easily pick these up past the trash fence.
Co-creator/builder Beau Le'Phant MV 2011, 2012. New MV for 2014 under construction: The Bi-Polar Express! http://bipolarexpress2014.weebly.com/
Gravybrain

Postby Canoe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Gravybrain wrote:... there is just no way that a large majority of these are not going to "escape" and given that they are very light the wind could easily pick these up past the trash fence...

There's risk with 55,000 tiny plastic bags, 55,000 contact cards and 55,000 Red Noses. Apart from pissing Playa Restoration (BLM?) off, the major risk is the potential as Little Red Plastic Tumble-Weeds - how many and how far. Fortunately, that is a risk, not a given. Depending on the type of foam, rolling on playa they may even dust up and bog down to a much slower ground rolling speed (ignoring ones that manage to get airborn in a dust-devil) - so we can hope. For distribution, if they're already in their tiny plastic bag before they reach playa, then the roll potential from a dropped box/bag of them is way less. And if BLM wants a team to go out beyond the fence or out beyond the playa to collect strays, then at last they're bright red (still visible with playa dust).

And I hope no one decides it would be amusing to play catch & release to see how far theirs can roll in the wind... Ah crap. Someone(s) going to do that, aren't they? I never thought I'd be praying for lots and lots of clingy playa dust.
Canoe

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance