Group Putt Putt? (Miniature Golf, need compatriots)

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Group Putt Putt? (Miniature Golf, need compatriots)

Postby GizmoGadgetGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:49 pm

While driving home from last year, I came up with the idea of having a miniature golf course as a theme camp.

Well, I'm not a golfer, and that would be a really big undertaking for my first theme camp, but someone suggested doing it collaboratively. I'm a geek, and we call it "crowd-sourcing." So, how about an art installation that is assembled from a bunch of separate groups' work?

Anybody interested?

What I have in mind, is a bunch of camps that all create one "hole" that they transport to BM. I'll take care of getting the art installation paperwork, placement, etc done, and when everyone arrives, each camp just needs to bring their hole to the location and set it up. I'm reluctant to have score cards and little pencils, because of the moop likelihood, but am open to ideas. Maybe small pieces of formica and dry-erase markers that can be returned after your round is over...and of course the golf balls and clubs as well.

One person thought this was way too lame, and another thought it sounded like a fun idea. The fact that it is kid friendly is a plus in my mind, too!

I've got my theme camp questionnaire filled out and submitted already, and adding a hole for this would be very do-able for me.

I'd like to get 9 holes signed up in order to get started; 18 would be great!
They call me MISTER Gizmo Gadget Guy.
From Silicon Valley.
GizmoGadgetGuy

Re: Group Putt Putt? (Miniature Golf, need compatriots)

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Think of making the scorecard a piece of schwag. And they can bring their own pens/pencils or just play for fun.

Anyway, back in the 90s I saw some photos from some sort of cacophony "urban golf" event, which had people teeing up in all sorts of bits of San Francisco. I thought it was genius then, and I think that could be now. The one thing I worry about is hitting people in the head...
You probably wont have any trouble finding someone who wants to do a 19th hole bar in or next to your camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:03 pm

And camps might be more willing when placement has been announced...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 pm

little pencils!
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:20 pm

You could probably find someone to make you 1000 golf size pencils that say "Group Putt Putt, BM 2012" on them.

Just as an aside, there is at least one putt putt camp. But I think it's all on premises. I think there's another, as well. I"ve never played at either. I think that yours is cool, and I don't want to discourage you, which is why I didn't say that right away.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Have you checked these guys out? They seem like they're getting pretty serious.. viewtopic.php?f=282&t=50898&start=60
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Group Putt Putt? (Miniature Golf Art Installation needs

Postby GizmoGadgetGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Hmm...that thread does seem pretty serious. However, it's also a full-sized golf course, and I was thinking putt-putt. There was some mention in the first couple of pages about another putt-putt camp though.

I also like the idea of the score cards being schwag...that's very cool. Maybe the balls too. Damn, this can get real complicated, real fast.

- LED balls, gifted of course
- score card gift-ables
- need to get aerial photo of the course, to go with the ball & score card (think little wooden trophy stand)

Well, hopefully more people will notice this after placements happen.
They call me MISTER Gizmo Gadget Guy.
From Silicon Valley.
GizmoGadgetGuy

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Probably worth pointing out that theme camp placement is not announced until early July. If you want to team up with other camps (registered or otherwise), you should probably get that lined up sooner (so people can work on their pieces).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby moonrise » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 pm

I think if you gift the LED golf balls you'll run out too quickly. Can you light up the golf clubs?

Use regular brightly painted balls in daytime.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 am

Putt-putt Playa was a major Esplanade theme camp for a couple years running. Very cool.

viewtopic.php?t=23283
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 am

Maybe this is just my warped sense of humor coming out - but a mini golf course with each hole looking easy, but actually being impossible to complete sounds like it might be fun.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Galaxo Magic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 am

I played putt-putt golf of the Esplanade several years. Always a fun time.
Idea for night would be to have the golf balls painted in day glow and have black lights around the course.
We already have a theme camp but I would consider making a hole for your course. Personally I could see adding you to our camp but we won't have the room this year.

Good luck.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby Hedy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 pm

AntiM wrote:Putt-putt Playa was a major Esplanade theme camp for a couple years running. Very cool

Thanks AntiM! I'm happy to report that Putt-Putt Playa will be making its return to BRC for 2012, hopefully on the Esplanade : )
Hedy

Postby Elorrum » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Scavenger putt putt? Clues to other courses (holes) timed event best score, or most holes completed. Hmmm. First hole could give out s clue sheet tor participating camps. Or an option for more casual play as a way to wander around the city.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Return to 2012 Art & Performance