Into the abyss: extraordinary creatures of the abyss

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Into the abyss: extraordinary creatures of the abyss

Postby michazonders » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Guys! short introduction
My name is Micha, a dutch artist balloon.
I mainly work with balloons and LEDs.
I want to do a performance this year at Burning Man.
My idea is to create deep sea creatures, figurative and abstract, kites made of balloons and leds.
It will be a 100% litter free balloon release, where the creatures will fly off and come back by realing them in...
To see an visual of the idea, check this commercial of asics
http://creativity-online.com/work/asics-launch/26078

The big difference is that there is always a secure line connected to sculpture, something like a fishing rod or a kite kit.

To create the tentakels, i will use white round balloons with a LED light inside on a cotton string.
People can write one message on one balloon; a wish; a fear they want to let go of; a new idea to release into the universe.
These balloons will be tied to the sculpure, and then the creature will be let go, and swim through the sky like yellyfish swim in the deep abyss... Its only objective is to be beautiful

We make the creatures out of solid squareloons (triple link balloons) Image with inside every balloon 1 LED.
I have a technique to put LED's inside these balloons, you can see an example in this Youtube video of a project of last year...
my 750ft long LED balloon parade...
[youtube]F--LWBWdb_Q[/youtube]
michazonders

Re: Into the abyss: extraordinary creatures of the abyss

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:08 am

I like it.

(One thing you may not be aware of is that in English it's spelled "tentacles". Not a serious error, but it did make me blink for a couple of seconds.)

Edited to add: Thanks for not asking for money in your first post, too. We get that a lot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby moonrise » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 pm

michazonders, I watched some of the youtube vids of your work.

You are a professional, I think your balloon creations will be wonderful MOOP free works of art. Thank you for your gift :P

The winds die down at night, (not always, but often) this should allow you to float them in the abyss of the sky for longer time periods.

During the day the winds are calmer in the early mornings, and as it warms up they increase...watch out for the dust devils, they can swirl up unexpectedly.

Have you seen the Balloon Chain Project (I think it's called that) in photos or on youtube yet? Two guys on bikes float a very long chain of balloons attached to the bikes. Very cool. :P

Some here might know more about wind patterns than I do. If they do, hopefully they'll speak up.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Sounds like a great project, but you're going to need to work out some sort of tether.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 pm

michazonders wrote:It will be a 100% litter free balloon release, where the creatures will fly off and come back by realing them in...
To see an visual of the idea, check this commercial of asics
http://creativity-online.com/work/asics-launch/26078

The big difference is that there is always a secure line connected to sculpture, something like a fishing rod or a kite kit.
To create the tentakels, i will use white round balloons with a LED light inside on a cotton string.
People can write one message on one balloon; a wish; a fear they want to let go of; a new idea to release into the universe.
These balloons will be tied to the sculpure, and then the creature will be let go, and swim through the sky like yellyfish swim in the deep abyss... Its only objective is to be beautiful

He may need to work out specifically what weight string and how to tie for playa winds, but I don't think it hasn't occured to him that lnt includes ballons...

And I suspect that's "come back by 'reeling' and 'jellyfish'". (Maybe we should get Mr. Jellyfish to cross-promote...)
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Yes.. the OP got in contact with me the other day via PM and has been helping the creative juices flow with my/our "Just A Buncha Balloons" project..!

Props! :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby michazonders » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 am

@moonrise
yes I have seen the balloon chain project, very very beautiful and so simple...
My parades are quiet different in set up, as I invite the audiance to participate and be part of the parade...
During the day i will probably sleep as I will maintain europe time and party and parade at night ;)

theCryptofishist
I will check out mr. yellyfish! thanks
I will use the strongest and lightest available kite materials... (and the most expensive) or tie to balloons directly.
Yes, first need to figure out the costs before asking for money... but there are other ways of getting the dough, like kickstarter.
Also, I am working with some VJ's and artists to get LEDs up and running with DMX and sensors for more interactivity...It might be funded through some european festivals as we are currently getting projects over here.

I could use some help on where to get helium (in reno??)

@trilobyte
what do you mean with a tether?

@Ugly Dougly
I will read these topics, thanks for your input!

see you at the playa
michazonders

Postby playla_wook » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:14 am

this sounds great. I can't wait to see it on the playa!
playla_wook

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:34 am

I'd missed the part in your post about there being a secure line. You'd probably need to use a heavier weight fishing line or some kind of wire to secure it, while the weather last year was wonderful there can be some pretty strong sustained winds, as well as powerful gusts that come out of nowhere.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby michazonders » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi Guys,

I just found out it is really hard to arrange helium in the US... Is there anybody that can arrange a bottle helium for my project.
I need a quote, just to say I am not a millionaire.

I am already thinking of using hydrogen instead of helium, but with all the burning in the sky, this is maybe not the best idea...
michazonders

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:59 pm

How much helium?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby michazonders » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:59 am

I was hoping to get about a medium size bottle, about for about 300-500 balloons.
they are all different sizes but 150 balloon can get me a small installation for about 1 night.
I also like to use hifloat, so the balloons may last about 2 to 3 days.

I tested releasing the balloons with a fishing pole and realling them back in last week in a german festival and the result was really stunning and rurreal. I really hope I can bring my installation to the playa.

Thanks Micha
michazonders

Return to 2012 Art & Performance