Happy Camp Interactive LED Project Kickstarter

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Happy Camp Interactive LED Project Kickstarter

Postby Peper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:17 am

This is the HappyGem!

We're setting up our kickstarter soon. One of our pledges will be for "adopting a happygem", which means you can drop by our camp and pick it up at burning man.

Our question is this: How much would you be willing to pledge to our kickstarter to adopt a gem?
- 180$?
- 160$?
- 140$?
- 120$?
- 100$?
- 80$?
- 60$?
- 40$?
- 20$?
- Would rather not pledge. (reason?)

We're of course not looking to make money of the project but we need an indication of how much we need to trim the cost of the device in order to make the kickstarter work. If you could ask some of your friends to post here as well we would appreciate it so much. We need all the data we can get! :)
Last edited by Peper on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peper

Re: Interactive LED Project: Please help us get the cost rig

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 am

Very cool project! Reminds me a lot of a section in "The Diamond Age" (one of my favorite books!)

I can see kicking in $40-80 range for one of these. It looks like you're using an ATMega128 for the main chip. What are you using for the wireless comms?
waxpraxis

Postby Peper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 am

waxpraxis wrote:Very cool project! Reminds me a lot of a section in "The Diamond Age" (one of my favorite books!)

I can see kicking in $40-80 range for one of these. It looks like you're using an ATMega128 for the main chip. What are you using for the wireless comms?

Thank you! And Thanks for the reply :) It's an ATMega128RF1. It has a built-in radio transceiver with ZigBee integrated.
Peper

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 am

I was thinking it would be ZigBee, cool!

I know doing shortish-run boards like this can be pricey. I really hope you can raise enough cash to make this happen! Please let me know when you get the Kickstarter up and rolling and I'll post it all over the place, I've already shared it in a couple of places just this morning!

I know it would be chunkier, but have you thought about doing a through-hole version that could be assembled at home? I don't have a surface mount setup yet but would love to build a whole mess of these and bring them to the regional burns I go to.

Did you apply for an art grant from BMorg? If you'll be attending any regionals, they often have art grant programs as well.

Luckily for my big LED project for this year I don't need custom boards made - just a LOT of soldering and crimping!
waxpraxis

Postby Peper » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:04 am

waxpraxis wrote:I know doing shortish-run boards like this can be pricey. I really hope you can raise enough cash to make this happen! Please let me know when you get the Kickstarter up and rolling and I'll post it all over the place, I've already shared it in a couple of places just this morning!

I know it would be chunkier, but have you thought about doing a through-hole version that could be assembled at home? I don't have a surface mount setup yet but would love to build a whole mess of these and bring them to the regional burns I go to.

Did you apply for an art grant from BMorg? If you'll be attending any regionals, they often have art grant programs as well.

Luckily for my big LED project for this year I don't need custom boards made - just a LOT of soldering and crimping!

Great! Thanks, I will definitely let you know when the kickstarter is up and running :D

I haven't thought of a home assembly version actually. It is an excellent idea. It would make distribution and production a hell of a lot easier and cheaper. I'll look into that. Perhaps one could pledge for a construction set for 2, 4, 8 or 16 gems? Or perhaps even more?

We applied for an art grant, yes. We probably wont be attending any regionals since we live in Norway - and there aren't any here. We're looking to start one though, when the population of burners in Norway is ripe :)

What's your project?
Peper

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 am

http://blitterbike.tumblr.com

:D

I love the idea of buying kits - I'd deck out our camp with 'em for our regional burns!
waxpraxis

Postby skyfex » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 am

Hey guys! I'm the one who developed the electronics for the HappyGem.

We could quite easily make a through-hole version. But it would be an extra cost associated with ordering prototype PCBs and components to test that it works. But honestly though, the final version will be much simpler than the one shown in the video, with fewer components. You could actually solder them easily with a normal soldering iron and a steady hand. We will use a pre-made module (due to FCC/CE regulations) with the atmega128rfa1, crystals and antenna pre-soldered, so that's no problem at all. I use 0603 sizes for the resistors - those will be the smallest components on the new one (but still quite easy). I could switch over to 0805, that would make it super easy.
skyfex

Postby waxpraxis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:07 am

Ah - excellent!

Yeah, as long as the soldering was reasonable to do with a decent soldering iron I could see using these as a great "kit" for teaching electronics within my local burning man group. I already help teach an LED and EL wire workshop. Getting a bunch of these and using them to teach people some basic electronics (and still end up with something really, really cool!) would be great.
waxpraxis

Postby Theres Always One » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm really digging this thread. All this talk of Arduinos and LEDs has me quite aroused.
Theres Always One

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 am

Theres Always One wrote:I'm really digging this thread. All this talk of Arduinos and LEDs has me quite aroused.

Would you mind telling us how much you would be willing to pledge for our kickstarter?
Peper

Postby Sham » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:24 am

That's a very cool project, but offering a Kickstarter on here would get the wraith of "moderation". You wouldn't want that now, would ya?
Sham

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:04 am

Oh come on.. points for the roundabout way of advertising! "How much WOULD YOU PAY??" I thought it was pretty tricky, really.. :wink:

On the flip side.. SUPER cool project! Atmel's progression with their chips is so super cool.. I actually had no idea that they had an RF integrated 128 now. Wow.

I've heard tell that wireless communication and digital lighting may be big soon.. *rubbing hands together* :twisted:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 am

Shambala wrote:That's a very cool project, but offering a Kickstarter on here would get the wraith of "moderation". You wouldn't want that now, would ya?

I'm sorry I think you're misunderstanding the post. This is not a kickstarter. I'm just doing marketing research for our kickstarter to work. If we make pledges that nobody would be willing to make it would be pretty unsuccessful. I just want to make sure that we trim the cost of the device to the amount of money people would want to pledge to be a part of the project.
Peper

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:48 am

junglesmacks wrote:Oh come on.. points for the roundabout way of advertising! "How much WOULD YOU PAY??" I thought it was pretty tricky, really.. :wink:

On the flip side.. SUPER cool project! Atmel's progression with their chips is so super cool.. I actually had no idea that they had an RF integrated 128 now. Wow.

I've heard tell that wireless communication and digital lighting may be big soon.. *rubbing hands together* :twisted:

Yes things are going pretty wild! Hope to see more projects in the future using the same technology. Perhaps we could build a ZigBee based networking protocol for interactive art :twisted: *mad handrubbing*
Peper

Re: Happy Camp Interactive LED Project Kickstarter

Postby Burnerbot » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I would throw down $60 for one of those! Really cool idea :)
Burnerbot

Postby Dusty McShroomface » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 pm

$50 dollar - make me holler!
There's no place like HOME
Dusty McShroomface

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Music Savages

HappyGem

Postby skyfex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:00 pm

It is a bit more than one year since I first heard about Burning Man. When I understood what it was about, I knew I had to go. And I immediately started thinking about how I could contribute. What I could make. An idea started forming based on stuff I had experience working with. I wanted to use electronics, wireless communication, colorful LEDs, and I wanted it to be something meaningful. Something that was based around people. I talked to friends about it, people got excited and the idea kept growing. I started working on a prototype, spending countless hours designing a schematic, a PCB, soldering prototypes and programming microcontrollers. Looking back, I'm stunned about the impact Burning Man can have.. even to someone who hasn't even been there yet. It got me to do this amazing project which has already brought me so much joy (there's a guilty pleasure to hearing someone say "that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!")

Fortunately I'm not alone in this. I've got Fredrik (Peper on ePlaya) with me, who was at Burning Man last year and has been indispensable in so many ways. And we have Ashkahn who is an experienced burner. And many others who have helped in small ways. Even my grandmother who helped me figure out how to sew a great lanyard!

"Blah, blah", I hear you say.. what is this thing? We just launched the Kickstarter for our project, and this is our video which should explain it (it's in HD, but you can turn it off if you're on a slow connection).

If you think it looks interesting head over to Kickstarter to read more. If you like the project, we really need your help to pledge and spread the word. I am so eager to make these and I really hope I can bring joy to people at this years Burning Man.

We also have a website at http://happygem.org/ where you can find some more pictures.

Finally, I'd like to share this TED Talk by Sherry Turkle. What she talks about are the same thoughts that inspired this project.
http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_ ... ether.html
skyfex

Re: HappyGem

Postby FeetOfClay » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:07 pm

this is so cool! definitely sharing with friends, and hoping to donate soon! hope to see you (and the happy gem) on the Playa this year! :)
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby BrotherDan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:41 pm

Bumping this since there are only 48 hours left in your kickstarter. I adopted my HappyGem! Just need a little push to get over the top!
BrotherDan

Return to 2012 Art & Performance