Mobile art project seeking Musicians!

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Mobile art project seeking Musicians!

Postby umop » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm looking for musicians of any mobile instrument to be a part of a one or two night innovative mobile art project. This is really going to be cool!

Guitar, violin, viola, mandolin, bass, trumpet, trombone, french horn, clarinet, flute, oboe, marching-band drums, accordion, bagpipes, etc, etc. You name it. This is going to be a fun project.

Umop
umop

Re: Mobile art project seeking Musicians!

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Details?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:11 pm

What the hell! I don't know if I have a ticket, so I might as well sign on to something I know little about. I'm in. mobile instrument will have strings, strummed, plucked, perhaps bowed.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Jemma » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm

How legitimate of a player do you have to be? Is it like improv or jamming out or is there something specific you'd like to be played..? I'm thinking of bringing my saxophone but I'm also trying to be realistic about flying across the country.
Jemma

Postby alt12 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:53 pm

How mobile are we talking here? Walkable? I am a Conga player and would be interested in participating but if we're walking its no dice for me.... Need to seat to play drums....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 am

i bet we never see him again.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby waynerd » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:36 am

Drummer here, most likely bringing a snare drum to "march" with. Keep me posted. :)
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Come Again

Postby umop » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 pm

I am here! I was having a hard time logging in again. Whoops. The project I'm trying to organize is going to involve synchronizing everybody to each other to play a piece so that location won't be important. For instance, the bass will be playing a quarter mile from the brass, which will be a short distance from the string(s), etc. I have plans to synchronize everyone through headphones so that you will hear the entire piece in your ears, even though you'll only be playing your own part.

The effect will be that people might hear only part of the piece at one moment, and then another part, then several parts together. I think people will congregate as they start to get it. When everybody comes together, the effect will be amazing as individual parts start to make sense. I know that doppler will be a factor, but I don't think it will really matter as the keys will mostly match, and nobody will be that far from each other (no more than a sound-second away).

What are your thoughts?
umop

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 am

With no amplification it will fail miserably unless they are all in a tight group.
oneeyeddick

Postby umop » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

I don't think so, but it's definitely worth an early trial run. It's not important that everybody be heard all at once.
umop

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 am

You do know about the ambient, inescapable oonz out there wherever you go...right?
oneeyeddick

Return to 2012 Art & Performance