Firstly, let me say that I think it is fantastic that TattooGoddess wants to do this and is enthusiastic about it. I hope she pulls it off in some fashion or other. I'm sure it won't work out as she expects, but that's the nature of it.
Last year was my first burn, and I spent a HUGE amount of time on here and elsewhere doing all the research that I needed. I had an amazing first year! And I think part of it was good planning and good thinking, and part of it was luck. For example, it took me 30 minutes to get in, I saw the Man burn and it took me 30 minutes to exodus. [Don't panic, I will get to my 'on subject' points in a minute!].
During planning, I got myself SO worked up about what I was going to bring to BM by way of contribution / gift. I was in a state of despair about not wanting to look like a total wanker by not being able to gift or contribute. This situation solved itself .... as I'm about to explain :
At first, I thought that I had to camp alone because I had no idea what camp I'd be interested in because I hadn't been to BM before. This was a good decision, until I stumbled across the Orphan/Endorphin camp, and I thought "This sounds like a good place for me!" Alas, no room in the camp .... SO .... having hooked up on Facebook, a few of us decided to form "Orphan 2", a satellite / offspring of the Orphan/Endorphans. I thus became one of the organisers of Orphan 2, and bingo, this was going to be my gift / contribution! I helped organise, bust a gut to be first in the gate to stake the claim etc etc ...
I fell on my feet last year : I had the advantage of a camp of people to watch my back, I had the freedom to do my own thing or to head out with a group. What I had contributed was all pretty much over by the end of Monday when the camp was established, which meant I could have the freedom to experience the whole crazy thing. I'm gonna do the same thing next year, but now I know what I can contribute, and what my limitations are, and what limitations the playa will put on me. i.e. the same but better! I will also bring gifts this year, sort out a serious shade structure for the team, and put more effort into costumes.
So ... to some comments :
- "crisp white material"! That is gonna turn all dirty shades of playa dust within 5 minutes.
- Therefore, this might not end up looking so pretty as you think!
- If you expect to 'leave' these crisp white squares with people and come back later and pick them up all nice and beautifully decorated ... think again ... a lot will become MOOP. You might think about checking the trash fence now and then ... you may find some out there ... and if you are not actively there helping and encouraging, people's attention will drift off to the next sparkly interesting thing that walks by.
- It's not clear to me what you want people to do with these white squares?? Are they gonna sew things on them? Write on them? Paint on them?
- If you are worried about shyness ... do something else about that e.g. join an orphan camp.
- I am really, really, REALLY REALLY REALLY worried that if this doesn't work out as you hope (and I'm certain it won't), then this may totally RUIN your first Burning Man Experience, and you will never come back ... or worse leave early and flee back to default vowing never to return.
- I'm worried that this may consume your time at BM. I was there the whole week and didn't even scratch the surface. Every day I see a photo online of an art project from 2011 and think "Fuck! I didn't see that!" or "I didn't realise that was happening!"
So here is my suggestion : I would treat this your first burn as a "pilot" project. Take only a fraction of what you suggest, and try out different strategies to achieve your aim. Spend only part of a couple of days testing out this idea. Your aim for this year can be to leave BM being able to say "I know how I'm gonna do this next year!"
Final parting comment : I can remember arriving at the playa, I can remember leaving. Everything else is a total blur with the odd moment of clarity sprinkled in. I missed a lot, not because I was walking around with my eyes shut or anything ... but just because I was so overwhelmed by it all, and I was LEARNING how to survive, how to behave, what to expect etc.
P.S. The weather was amazing in 2011 ... just lovely ... so I'm planning for weather armageddon this year!