Just a buncha' balloons..

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Just a buncha' balloons..

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 am

inog wrote:I assume you are aware of the balloon LED's generally available. Just google LED Balloon Lights. These are made to be dropped inside a standard 12" - 16" balloon and then inflated.

You can bulk in 200 unit lots for about $0.60 each.

Best of luck!

Whoa.. hey.. yes. Very nice. I was unaware of this!

If we cannot got the string of balloons route, we could possibly just do a huge cluster of like 32 of them and use like an 8 channel sequencer that I have here instead. That may actually be the way to go..

Bob wrote:A few thoughts from skimming the thread --

It will "kite", even on a short line, so operate in a lateral space you can control. Things will break. Needs an operator, not a hippie. Respect BRC and its airport's airspace.

I gotcha Bob and I respect that. We're actually planning on doing this as a landmark to our camp which should be around 3 & G.. so we'll be back in the burbs. Not sure what the eventual height will reach but somewhere around 60' or so hopefully depending on wind conditions. What would be fun is to have enough base line so that it could be raised higher and higher with conditions permitting..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sophi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 am

Have you all seen this? Projected video onto white balloons!
[url]http://www.runemadsen.com/work/ohland-balloon-visuals[/url]

We used a light pipe-like thing inside of a balloon last year and the amount of light shining through was magnificent. One 3W LED was not enough to make the balloon light up. If the 3Wis heatsunk enough with additional metal, the balloon won't pop. Otherwise, the heatsinks that they come on (like the picture on one of the previous posts) don't cool it down enough.

You can use a speculum to get the PCB (circuit board) inside of the balloon. Someone I know made a PCB long and skinny so that it would stand up straight and disperse the light throughout the balloon. It worked great he said.
Sophi
Sophi

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Sophi wrote:We used a light pipe-like thing inside of a balloon last year and the amount of light shining through was magnificent. One 3W LED was not enough to make the balloon light up.

Did you mean "was" enough? Not understanding what you're saying here..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance