Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Black Rock Country Club Project for 2012

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:18 am

The Canadians who did street hockey brought a full rink. See Brad's 1999 panorama, on the left side near the Esplanade.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CaverX » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:08 am

Flaming Fucking Golf! Been done?

Bob wrote:..., unless the balls are on fire ...?
CaverX

Postby tamarakay » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:36 am

The CO wrote:Nonsense!

We play playa golf nearly every year out there. We use oversize clubs & kids softballs. Go to the edge of open playa, look for one of the "no driving" signs, that's the first tee. Pick an art object, and go! Players are not allowed to touch any of the balls, but spectators can. It's freaking awesome.

Oh my goodness I want to play!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Lets get real.

Postby HippyLabRat » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Killer idea. Love it. But here's a few glaringly obvious problems...

Unless this was a deep playa project, I can see this not ending well. You'd have to start at like 10/J or 2/J and push it away from the city so you end up in BFE by hole 9, then you'd probably have to offer an art car ride back in to town.

Real golf could also be an moop disaster, with golf balls flying god knows where and an inability to relocate them, especially at night, unless you always used brightly colored glow in the dark balls, and had a way to recharge the luminescent coating at each hole. (i.e. black lights)

You'd have to have catch nets (60ft high) on each side of each fairway (on the town-side at bare minimum) for safety, were you doing this anywhere near town. (Golf balls can exceed 100mph on a drive!)

I like the idea, in principle, but the execution is going to take a semi or two full of supplies, several generators or solar panels, and a week or 10 days to set up, and that much time to take down! Do you think you can recruit 20+ people that can take that much time off from their default lives to help?

Like I said... Mad awesome idea, the execution is going to kill you.
HippyLabRat

Postby coreyrosen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Yes, Yes, and Yes. The location we are looking at is at the outer edge of the circle at the 3 o'clock location and building it out to deep playa then back so by the time you finish the 9th hole, you are back at the beginning. As far as the night logistics, we plan of having LED golf balls as SWAG for anyone who plays, so if they dont loose their ball, they get to keep it. For the balls that get lost, there will be course managers checking the course everyday for lost balls, which it will be hard to loose a ball out on the playa unless it gets completely buried. As far as the 60 ft fence to prevent balls from going into the city, the course will be built far enough back that you would have to be Tiger woods on steroids to hit the ball that far. The set up and tear down, I expect will take 30-50 people. Do I think I can get that many? Oh yes. That is why I am starting so early. I already have almost 20 people onboard already. So, I appreciate everyone telling me what is wrong with the idea. What I need now is help making it happen. The website will be up in a week or two and the Kickstarter page will be up shortly after that. For future reference, the website is www.BRMGC.info. Feel free to keep posting the problems with the project. Since I have already been working with the head of art for BM, I have a feeling we have already addressed most of if not all of them. Right now, what we need isn't money, it's artists who want to build an art hazard for the golf course or help design the country club. If anyone knows Burner artists who might be interested in this project, please contact me at coreyrosen@yahoo.com.
coreyrosen

Postby 48_love » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Repair your divots and LNT! What will be par? Will the USGA Rules of Golf apply? haha

But if it is truly golf ... lost balls WILL happen.

It probably makes sense to not have people trying to hit driver on the open playa. Pitch and putt might be workable and it's harder to lose balls with shorter clubs. Maybe limit the layout to >150 yard holes? That way players could just carry a 9 iron, wedge and a putter. Maybe multiple tee locations per green? Lost balls might still happen, though.

And as far as playing surface materials, pretty much anything is going to get a little tore up if you're swinging irons and wedges. Even materials designed for practicing on fall apart relatively quickly. Not deal breakers (maybe), just food for thought.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby coreyrosen » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Ok, so the way we have fixed this problem is LED golf balls will be visable at night unless they are buried. After the event, we will do a Playa Resteraton Walk before the Playa Resteration crew does. As far as the divots, we will be giving everyone a 1 sq ft piece of astroturf and before every shot, they will pick up their ball, put the astroturf down, then drop the ball on it. The participants will be allowed to bring their own clubs, but every participant is limited to one ball. If you loose your ball, you are out of the game. The people who dont bring their own clubs will get one iron and one putter. Thats it. Next list of potential problems.
coreyrosen

Postby moonrise » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi Corey, I doubt you remember, but we met (you really DO like SWAG, lol) everyone here means well, we really do!

Some thoughts I have are:

When fbcota first announced The Pier on eplaya, his location was listed under his eplaya name/avatar "Reno,Tahoe and somewhere else"
Being local obviously helped, considering The Pier was a large scale art build. It also caught my attention and the attention of other locals. You're location isn't mentioned anywhere under your playa name, that could help here on eplaya and online everywhere. Maybe a burningman golf avatar is in the works for your online burningman name? )'(\. <---LED golf ball (I couldn't resist!)

Also, the team used the Reno regional list heavily for help and materials, we got it and had a blast throwing painting parties and fundraisers etc. If you're the Corey I met, I know you're in a burningman hot spot region. Hopefully your regional list has a discussion list, in addition to the announce list (Reno has BOTH types of lists, thank Larry!) Either way, making use of the regional list(s) was a big help. eplaya was also, in addition to all the other online places under the sun.

Also, fbcota let everyone know (on eplaya and in person at meetings) their ideas were welcome and it was everyone's project,
and that he was not the leader :shock: uh, okay, hmmm we thought.... Eventually he did "lead" but with a style I cannot describe easily. If you haven't read The Pier thread, you might think about reading it and then contact fbcota! I know he'll be very supportive and happy to help and explain how he does large scale burningman art projects.
The Pier 2 (now with a 65 foot circa 1800s/1900s ship wreck!!) in 2012 will be massive compared to The Pier 2011. I just spoke with him at the Reno Decompression and he was relaxed and chatty. NOW is the time to PM him (or I can get a hold of him for you) I promise you'll be very glad if you chat with fbcota, he and everyone on The Pier/The pier 2 team will be happy to give good advice.

Onward and upward!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby coreyrosen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 am

Sounds great. I would love to talk to someone who has put a large scale project together. The region I am in is Sacramento. There is a large group here already onboard with the project. The reason I didn't want to have a home base region for the project listed is because I didn't want to take away from all the artists who will be involved from different regions. I am accepting any artists who want to submit an art hazard idea and are able to bring it to the event and tear it down. I have lots of ideas of what art hazards to create, but I don't want to dictate what artists have to do. I am the same Corey who loves SWAG by the way, and plan to bring cool SWAG to the golf course. I could really use the help, so send anyone who wants to my way. This is going to need a large group of people and all input is appreciated.

Corey Rosen
Endeavor
SWAG Whore
coreyrosen

Postby Raymaker » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 am

I volunteer to be a golf ball
Raymaker

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:42 am

Raymaker wrote:I volunteer to be a golf ball

Only one? and do they, er, does it, glow? )'(\.. line 'em up! If you don't lose it, you get to keep it! (I'm sure you don't want to 'lose it', lol)

perhaps give him a break, but, that'd be asking too much 'round here :roll: or maybe not, he'll be learing a lot, real fast, very soon.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

Good to see you changing your attitude about receiving positive suggestions/concerns instead of biting people's heads off and just demanding money and help instead. That wasn't getting you too far..

Stoked on the idea, honestly.. good luck!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby coreyrosen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 am

For the record, we never asked for a penny from anyone. If you read the posts, we were asking for assistance. Somehow, some people mistook that as asking for money. We have always been open to suggestions for this project. The suggestions we were getting was to change the project completely. If you have questions on how something will work, please feel free to post them and we will answer them to the best of our ability. If you bring up a question we haven't thought of yet that will help us in the planning process, it will be appreciated, and not dismissed.

Corey Rosen
Endeavor
SWAG Whore
coreyrosen

Postby JayBobBoy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 am

I'm stoked on this idea too...I haven't seen it mentioned but I imagine the 19th hole could be alot of fun.

I like the idea of artistic hazards. This forum is a great place to come up with ideas for those...(I'm thinkin on it)

I'm bringing some clubs for sure. I'll donate some clubs early in the week to help out, too!

Good luck!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Postby coreyrosen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 pm

The vision for the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club is something the participant will see from blocks and blocks away. Our dream location would be at the edge of the city at the top of the 3. As the resident of Black Rock City approaches the entrance to the golf course, they will see a large enclosed tent structure with a double door entryway that would resemble a country club. Once inside, they will be greeted at the front desk by our Country Club Concierge. Once a tee time has been scheduled, they are welcome to move into the adjoining tent which will be a clubhouse bar and lounge called The Tenth Hole. Here, participants can bring their camping cups and get it filled with one traditional golf course drink, Bloody Marys in the A.M. and Gin and Tonics in the P.M. If the participant is coming for their tee time, the front desk will provide each person with two clubs, one iron and one putter, one LED golf ball, one square foot of turf to hit from, and a scorecard. Once the group has all their equipment, they open the door out onto the course and are hit with a visually stunning landscape of multi colored putting greens and amazing bright artwork to act as hazards during the round of play. The visual image we are hoping to give is a full size par 3 nine hole golf course in the desert with flaming windmills and amazing visual art hazards resembling a miniature golf course.

We are looking for anyone who wants to be a part of this amazing art project for Burning Man. We wll need lots of pre-planning assistance, golf course volunteers, work camp volunteers, and most importantly Artists who would lke to build a hazard for this unque golf course. If you would like to assist or know someone who would, email BRMGC@yahoo.com. The website for the project should be up by November 1st. http://www.BRMGC.info If you have any questons, please feel free to post them here. If you want to help, please email us. See you out on the links.
coreyrosen

Re: Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:27 pm

This has already been posted by you. Why did you start another one?

viewtopic.php?f=283&t=50898&hilit=golf

Also I don't think it is a good idea nor legal to use Burning Man In your name. This is not put on by burning man nor do they really have a part in this other then it is at burning man. Im not a legal exspert but just sayin.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 pm

If they are not using it for commercial purposes, the llc may let it slide.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby coreyrosen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I don't think Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and country Club has Burning Man anywhere in the name. And I have already gotten the ok to move forward from the Arts Committee. The other post I was told was in the wrong place, so I posted it here instead. I appreciate your input.

Endeavor
coreyrosen

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm

WoW!

This is going to be an AMAZING sight to see, you had me at "flaming windmills' and all the other fantastic ideas! )'(\.
moonrise

Postby 48_love » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I got some clubs to donate. I might prefer to mail them rather than pack them in my stuff. I'll PM on that. Link up what balls you want to use and I'll see if I can bring a sleeve. I saw some that turn on for 8-10 minutes when hit and turn off to conserve battery life. That probably isn't long enough; they need to stay ON.

Golf is all about rules most of which would be unnecessary on the playa, but a little primer on ettiquette might be useful. Farthest from green (or hole) hit first, don't hit until the 'green' is cleared, clear the 'green' quickly after holing out. You know some of the stuff that makes it a little safer to whack hard objects around the park with people out and about. And I'm talking about regular Muni golf here .. it can get harrowing out there and us Muni warriors ostensibly play golf. Just imagine the trouble a foursome of darkwads could get into! heh

I love this idea, btw.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby The CO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:16 am

earlier in this thread I wrote:We play playa golf nearly every year out there. We use oversize clubs & kids softballs. Go to the edge of open playa, look for one of the "no driving" signs, that's the first tee. Pick an art object, and go! Players are not allowed to touch any of the balls, but spectators can. It's freaking awesome.

We've never lost a ball or made a divot in 6+ years of playing. Make everything (clubs & balls) oversized. You can buy all you need in the childrens/novelty section of a sporting goods store.

As for holes, play object golf. Base the tees (on the scorecards & map that your camp provides) on art or camps that are in place. Hole one is the t-stake on the west side of Fandagos front. Hole two is the base of Jellyfishs latest art piece. Hole three is the sign of any camp in Terminal City. Etc, ad infinitum.

As Thoreau said, "Simplify."
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby coreyrosen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:22 am

I think the idea of oversized equipment is a great idea for golf in the city. Since we will be a golf course outside the city, and the plan was to bring real golf to Black Rock, we will stick with our original plan. I believe the astroturf and the LED golf balls will be sufficient to prevent major divots and MOOP. Keep the ideas coming.

Endeavor
coreyrosen

Postby JayBobBoy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 am

coreyrosen wrote:Nope, I'm saying that WE, a group of people who have been discussing this project for a month now have already agreed on what the project is.

So why are you posting here? It does not sound like you are asking for participation, but rather mindless labor on your behalf.

As with most everyone reading this thread I am wondering, "Would this be a fulfilling place to donate my time while at BRC?" Umm...not so much.

I love how you say "Keep the suggestions coming"...and then dismiss them in your very next breath.

That being said...I hope you are able to make this happen, I'd love to play.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby lucky420 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 am

This sounds awesome...where are you located out of? I may have clubs to donate.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby The CO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 am

coreyrosen wrote: I believe the astroturf and the LED golf balls will be sufficient to prevent major divots and MOOP.

Astroturf is a known MOOP producer. You could wind up making more MOOP than you ever dreamed when that stuff dries out & starts to shed.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby VultureChow » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:46 am

The CO wrote:
coreyrosen wrote: I believe the astroturf and the LED golf balls will be sufficient to prevent major divots and MOOP.

Astroturf is a known MOOP producer. You could wind up making more MOOP than you ever dreamed when that stuff dries out & starts to shed.

How about something like those foam floor tiles you see in warehouses?

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

moonrise wrote:WoW!

This is going to be an AMAZING sight to see, you had me at "flaming windmills' and all the other fantastic ideas! )'(\.

Yup, Flaming Windmills definitely has an appeal factor.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby coreyrosen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:34 am

The group putting this project together is out of Sacramento. I will have an address to start sending donated materials soon. If you want to help with setup, tear down, or volunteer at the event, please contact us.

Endeavor
coreyrosen

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 am

AHhhh, nice to see support (rather than nit picking) 48_love, Lucky420 and jkisha :D :D :D & Fishy for fact correction :wink:

Large scale art project/builds such as these require incredible dedication and SUPPORT.

The intro on this thread gives me a real feel for what your goal is coreyrosen, well said!! 8)
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 pm

coreyrosen wrote:The other post I was told was in the wrong place, so I posted it here instead. I appreciate your input.

I think the mods could have moved it, if politely asked. (Sorry)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance