Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 am

[i][Edited on 10/21/2011][/i]

The vision for the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club is something the participant will see from blocks and blocks away. Our dream location would be at the edge of the city at the top of the 3. As the resident of Black Rock City approaches the entrance to the golf course, they will see a large enclosed tent structure with a double door entryway that would resemble a country club. Once inside, they will be greeted at the front desk by our Country Club Concierge. Once a tee time has been scheduled, they are welcome to move into the adjoining tent which will be a clubhouse bar and lounge called The Tenth Hole. Here, participants can bring their camping cups and get it filled with one traditional golf course drink, Bloody Marys in the A.M. and Gin and Tonics in the P.M. If the participant is coming for their tee time, the front desk will provide each person with two clubs, one iron and one putter, one LED golf ball, one square foot of turf to hit from, and a scorecard. Once the group has all their equipment, they open the door out onto the course and are hit with a visually stunning landscape of multi colored putting greens and amazing bright artwork to act as hazards during the round of play. The visual image we are hoping to give is a full size par 3 nine hole golf course in the desert with flaming windmills and amazing visual art hazards resembling a miniature golf course.

We are looking for anyone who wants to be a part of this amazing art project for Burning Man. We wll need lots of pre-planning assistance, golf course volunteers, work camp volunteers, and most importantly Artists who would lke to build a hazard for this unque golf course. If you would like to assist or know someone who would, email BRMGC@yahoo.com. The website for the project should be up by November 1st. http://www.BRMGC.info If you have any questons, please feel free to post them here. If you want to help, please email us. See you out on the links.
coreyrosen

Re: Black Rock Country Club Project for 2012

Postby The CO » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:02 am

The officers of M*A*S*H 4207th will be there to play several rounds. How do we get charter membership?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:07 am

Great idea.. can't wait to see this one next year.

Although.. you're going to have to rethink or expand on the AstroTurf. That stuff is notoriously moopy. The green bits pop out everywhere making a huge mess.. and especially with all the traffic you'll be getting over it. Anything really with bits of fiber (shag carpet, etc) is going to be a nono.

Hmm.. what else could you use?

You may have to end up just going bare playa.

..or maybe.. make it into a minature golf type course complete with lightup and crazy obstacles and holes?? Ooooooo.. I liiiiike that idea..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:19 am

junglesmacks wrote:
..or maybe.. make it into a minature golf type course complete with lightup and crazy obstacles and holes?? Ooooooo.. I liiiiike that idea..

LIKE! Like A LOT! I have no idea how to play golf and I think it would be hard with the crazy sun. Put Put would be fun as hell and good for all ages! Most people understand the concept well. Not to mention the lagistics of all those golf carts needed and the moopy turf. You could most likely make wooden boxes to put the turf in for put put. that would contain the turf a bit more.

Not trying to rain on the idea. Just think this would be fun for everyone :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby goathead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:18 am

astro-turf= green tarps
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:42 am

goathead wrote:astro-turf= green tarps

$$$$$$$$$
junglesmacks

Postby goathead » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:25 am

junglesmacks wrote:
goathead wrote:astro-turf= green tarps

$$$$$$$$$

I am just guessing they would only be used for the "greens"
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu
Plug n Play camps have done to Burning Man what panty hose did to Finger-Fucking. Ratty
FREE THE SHERPAS
goathead

Burning Since: 1999

Postby MisaBlue » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 am

Leta just say playa is the new green and everything will be fine;)

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:11 am

Well, the astroturf we are looking at is completely woven into the carpet, like a 1/8 inch green carpet. This will not be moopy at all. Plus, a putt putt course is too small a project for Burning Man. Think bigger people. So far, lots of posts and no one wants to help, just critisize...
coreyrosen

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 am

coreyrosen wrote:So far, lots of posts and no one wants to help, just critisize...

Uhh.. you're taking this as criticism instead of help? Wow. How do you get out of bed in the morning? Every single post has been in a constructive, helping, positive manner. You're gonna have to grow some MUCH thicker skin if you want to get anything done around here.

Regarding the carpet/surface you spoke of.. man.. I still have doubts about it since you used the words "woven". Anything woven will come apart. You DO realize the amount of abuse and traffic that playa art projects get, right? You need to design things to be bullet proof.. literally. You need to plan for thousands upon thousands of people treading over and mistreating your installation whether it be intentional or non. It happens as we all know.

Not criticizing at all.. I applaud the project wholeheartedly and would love to see it out there like I originally said. I just don't want to see this all end in tears.
junglesmacks

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:24 am

I think I read somewhere that someone did this by issuing each player a 1'x1' piece of turf material.

Mark the tee boxes, sandtraps, and greens.

Step up to the tee box, put down your "green patch" and tee off.

Carry the patch to the ball, and unless it's marked as a sand trap, repeat till you get to the green, where you putt out.

I think that's what I remember. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 am

Yup, that the plan. There is a real golf course in Dubai that does this. I think it would be great for Black Rock. And, the material I spoke of is meant for athletes to play on and not come up. I think a few thousand Burners is exactly what this material is made for. To reiterate, the only part of the hole that will be Green, is the putting surface. It will be a desert course. And yes, I do consider the ideas critisisms because they are changing the idea and the art project. If you want to do a putt putt course, go right ahead. I am doing a Country Club Golf Course. That is the project. If anyone wants to join in, great, I could use the help. If you want to throw in different ideas to make the project "better", than please move onto another project, and we will see you on the playa next year. For those of you who want to help, this is a huge project and will need lots of assistance.
coreyrosen

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 am

coreyrosen wrote:If you want to throw in different ideas to make the project "better", than please move onto another project, and we will see you on the playa next year. For those of you who want to help, this is a huge project and will need lots of assistance.

So you're saying if you want to give suggestions, then STFU.. but if you want to break out the wallet or "gift" you some sweat labor or freebies then by all means pass over the cash?

You're not going to go very far with this attitude that you're rolling out after all of 3 lifetime posts. Good luck with all that.
Last edited by junglesmacks on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
junglesmacks

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:40 am

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do"
tattoogoddess

TRUE SO TRUE!!! Anyways, why would anyone say you cant do something at Burning Man? You just have to make it work.
coreyrosen

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:41 am

coreyrosen wrote:Well, the astroturf we are looking at is completely woven into the carpet, like a 1/8 inch green carpet. This will not be moopy at all. Plus, a putt putt course is too small a project for Burning Man. Think bigger people. So far, lots of posts and no one wants to help, just critisize...

Careful here. Just how many people are setting out on this already? Because it has the hallmark, to me, of being one of those ideas that one or two people think is wonderful, but it's too big and then they don't understand why they can't recruit man (or woman) power. Besides, you should let this grow and find its audience, rather than thinking that you'll be able to find a bunch of minions within a day of being posted. I'll tell you a burningman secret, everybody can come up with a grandiose scheme, the trick is coming up with something that people will want to help on, rather than trying to pimp out their own scheme. The Pier, that was amazing to watch to come together, because a whole bunch of people started throwing stuff into it. I'd think of a way to make this scalable depending on how much interest it generates, rather than having a great, pie in the sky idea.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 am

There was a Black Rock Country Club this year, I want to say at 9:00 very near the Esplanade. No golf course that I'm aware of, though I didn't actually stop in and see what they were doing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:46 am

Nope, I'm saying that WE, a group of people who have been discussing this project for a month now have already agreed on what the project is. If I were to go to them with new ideas, they would get shot down because we already have a plan of action to make this project a reality. To make the project to a putt putt course would completely change it from what our group agreed on. I am open for suggestions to complete the project, not change it. Once again, if you want to help, your help will be greatly appreciated. If you want to make suggestions to do a different project, then why don't you do that project? The Black Rock Country Club Golf Course is the project. We hope you want to be involved.
coreyrosen

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 am

coreyrosen wrote:We hope you want to be involved.

..and we, the denizens of eplaya and BRC, hope that your collective and personal attitude is conducive for involvement.
junglesmacks

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:57 am

First of all, I never thought I would get help the first day I posted this, I am just responding to posts other people make. Please dont assume you know what is going through my head or the heads of anyone already on this project. Still all I see is critisism. Is this al you people do on here? I am truely looking for volunteers who want to work on an art project. I volunteered last year and all I wanted to do was help. I didn't tell anyone who designed an art project how to do it or how to do it better. There are over 50,000 people at BM. If you don't want to help with this project, thats fine, but be encouraging to those who do, not discouraging to those trying to do their own art project. This post was supposed to gereate interest over the next few months, not get everyone on board today.

"..and we, the denizens of eplaya and BRC, hope that your collective and personal attitude is conducive for involvement."

My attitude is perfect for this. I live for this. Bringing a project to BM is one of the greatest things you can do for other people. I can't wait to see the citizens of Black Rock playing real golf on our huge course. See you there...
coreyrosen

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 am

coreyrosen wrote:Still all I see is critisism. Is this al you people do on here?

WOW. Good luck with everything. You're gonna need it.

along with a decent spell checker
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 am

Not to mention that people are still doing the playa hangover/decompression thing...

No, shooting down ideas is not the only thing we do here, but between the lot of us, we do have some experience worth listening to. You are not coming across as someone who can lead a large project--that's okay, many, perhaps most, of us can't. I can't. What you are offering seems to be the opportunity to be a foot soldier. The people on this board, especially just post-burn, tend to be people with ideas and projects of their own. So your recruitment is bad timing, and aimed at the wrong audience. In a few months there will be more people looking for that sort of place, I suggest trying at that point.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby OregonRed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:20 am

coreyrosen wrote:First of all, I never thought I would get help the first day I posted this, I am just responding to posts other people make. Please dont assume you know what is going through my head or the heads of anyone already on this project.

We can only go by what you post to figure out WTF is going through your head or the heads of those you are working with. So far, you're coming across as kind of a jerk.

coreyrosen wrote:Still all I see is critisism. Is this al you people do on here?[

Yes. All we do is criticize. We do not actually go to TTITD, all we do is lurk online to criticize your art project.

coreyrosen wrote: I am truely looking for volunteers who want to work on an art project. I volunteered last year and all I wanted to do was help. I didn't tell anyone who designed an art project how to do it or how to do it better. There are over 50,000 people at BM. If you don't want to help with this project, thats fine, but be encouraging to those who do, not discouraging to those trying to do their own art project. This post was supposed to gereate interest over the next few months, not get everyone on board today.

"..and we, the denizens of eplaya and BRC, hope that your collective and personal attitude is conducive for involvement."

My attitude is perfect for this. I live for this. Bringing a project to BM is one of the greatest things you can do for other people. I can't wait to see the citizens of Black Rock playing real golf on our huge course. See you there...

If you're truly looking for volunteers than please post about this on the appropriate thread on eplaya. This thread is "Open Discussion". Here we discuss ideas, philosophies, every day life, Camp Reality, etc. Posting about your art project here says to us (those who have more than ten posts to their name) that you're interested in actually discussing said art project, not looking for $$ or worker bees. If your art project is not open for discussion then don't post it in the "Open Discussion" forum. It all seems fairly simple and logical to me.

And if you are REALLY looking for volunteers a few words about the specific types of jobs you're looking to fill, where you're located and the location(s) of work parties would be elemental in procuring volunteers. Just sayin'...
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 am

Well, Red, it is a bit frustrating that we can't send him to 2012 art sub-forum yet. Although, I agree that it's the wrong place for this thread, it's not that any of the sub-fora work either. Otherwise, I think you're pretty much spot on.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Lady V » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Oh, my.
Lady V

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 pm

as a crotchety old timer, i must add that in 1997 there was a golf range, and we pretty much just hit balls out into the crowd, or at art cars on their way past. At one point, we were being used as a target as we tooled around the playa in our rented, but super fully insured ford taurus.

fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:14 pm

OregonRed wrote:Yes. All we do is criticize. We do not actually go to TTITD, all we do is lurk online to criticize your art project.

[/color]

hehe. *snort* heheehehe oh OR thats just mean. we dont just lurk sometimes we pounce
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby coreyrosen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:55 pm

I humbly apologize for posting this on the wrong thread. END OF LINE
coreyrosen

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 am

Burning Man is no stranger to sports. Naked volleyball, mini-golf, I've even seen bike polo and street hockey. But why the fuck would anyone walk the entire city for golf, unless the balls are on fire or contain commemorative coins or something?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 am

Not to mention people fucked up on god knows what hitting golf balls into god knows who's head and art car.

The more I think about it, this all sounds like a recipe for disaster to be honest.
junglesmacks

Postby The CO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 am

Nonsense!

We play playa golf nearly every year out there. We use oversize clubs & kids softballs. Go to the edge of open playa, look for one of the "no driving" signs, that's the first tee. Pick an art object, and go! Players are not allowed to touch any of the balls, but spectators can. It's freaking awesome.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Next

Return to 2012 Art & Performance