New plan to keep the ol' tent cool

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

New plan to keep the ol' tent cool

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 pm

I haven't the skills, tools know-how to make a swamp cooler, or the means to get one there. (Figjam should totally set up a table in Gerlach and make a killing selling his...)

I think one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-450-CFM- ... ghaG3_AEhk

plugged into one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP400- ... NDS7OQ8R1H

will work, right?
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Re: New plan to keep the ol' tent cool

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Several years ago we tried running a similar swamp cooler in a tent. It didn't seem to work very well and it leaked. (it was a brand new unit) From my experience, I'd say you'd be just as cool with a fan.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Canoe » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:31 am

Those components are so far off the mark, this looks like a troll.

Well, the very efficient 12 VDC components in the DIY swamp-cooler can usually be run for the week on a 100 amp hour battery that costs approximately $100. That power source, for which I can't see an amp hour rating at the link given, costs ~$40 including a charger circuit, cables & connectors. Can't be a lot of amp hours for those dollars. I don't see any rating of 120 VAC, so it appears it doesn't have an inverter for producing 120 VDC.

The "cooler" you link to requires 120 VAC.

> this evaporative Air Cooler sucks air through a wick saturated with water.
doesn't use a pump to keep the filter wet with water, so no playa dust washed off of the filter, but it claims a HEPA fitler

> An air stream is then blown out the front of the unit and is considerably cooler than the current room temperature.
But this will last only until the humidity is raised within your shelter, then there will no longer be any evaporative cooling. Then you're just raising temperature from its motor heat while maintaining humidity.

> Note: This unit is best used in dry climates or open spaces. Leave window/door open when temperature or humidity rises in the room.
Because for ongoing effectiveness, a swamp-cooler needs a source of hot dry air for the evaporative cooling to work. As per above, apart from an initial blow of cool, it's just going to heat & humidify the shelter. You need to get rid of that hot humid air from the shelter, so it's filled with hot dry air, before the swamp-cooler will cool again.

> Add as much ice as possible and set unit next to you for best effect.
It's a piece of crap. Use ice and you'll get a little more cool while it lasts.

That "cooler" and a power source would be an expensive way to replace the manual cooling method:
  • Use a spray bottle to spray a mist of water up into the air within your shelter when it is hot & dry inside,
  • The mist of water will evaporate, providing you with some cool relief,
  • Once that most air heats up again, open the doors & window to let hot dry air in to replace the hot humid air
    (when no wind: you'll need a fan (powered or hand), or time for the humidity to migrate out),
  • Now close up and spray a mist of water up into the air again,
  • Or keep letting the hot dry air blow through and mist yourself on a regular basis for some heat relief.
    same as being outside and spraying the mist into the breeze to blow back on you...

The DIY swamp-cooler is really quite easy to make.
Go for it.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:31 am

No... those two items will not work together, at all! And neither of those two items will work well even for their intended applications separately from each other.
That "power source" is just a 12 volt DC battery, and that cooler needs 120 volts AC, and even if you also bought an inverter to step up the voltage and make it work, it'd work for about a half an hour.

The FIGJAM cooler is SO SIMPLE. Just read his ridiculously simple step by step instructions. It's do or die. Or at least do or fry!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 am

seems, CFM, you could just get a few of your hottie admirers, to stand in skimpy outfits and fan you.

Just an idea.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BurnerBunny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:46 am

start a campaign to the Hiltons and demand they build a hotel in the middle of the playa.
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 am

ygmir wrote:seems, CFM, you could just get a few of your hottie admirers, to stand in skimpy outfits and fan you.

Just an idea.

I don't think there's enough room in my tent for all of them...I know it's not tall enough for you. :wink:

(and I was kidding. I just didn't find a thread with tent-cooling ideas that weren't a swamp cooler.)
C.f.M.

Postby Boijoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:36 am

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

Interesting. We'd need a battery-operated fan (we being people who don't have batteries and gennies). I like how they multi-task, with the beer in the cooler, too.

If my schedule works out (as far as flying into Reno and trying to ride into BRC on Friday), and the ride I find has room for it, I might try that one...grocery stores generally have those styrofoam coolers. I could probably figure out something for the venting tube, so that an extra trip to a hardware store wouldn't be necessary. I'll have the fan already...thanks for the idea!!

Would also need to bring extra cash for more ice. But, since I'd only be running it for a few hours a day - oh, and would maybe want to line the cooler with a plastic bag, for water removal?

Hm...
C.f.M.

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:07 pm

I have a simple method for cooling my sleeping quarters - I don't.

They are cool or cold at night and if I feel a need to doze or need a few extra hours of sleep after the sun rises - I sleep in my shade structure. The shade and breeze makes it pretty comfortable.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:35 pm

If I got up at sunrise, I wouldn't need a cooler tent, either. :wink:

I'm old. I need my beauty sleep. My tent is always under shade, still gets unsleepably hot. And outside, there's people. THE PEOPLE. I can't sleep with the ruckus - I'm a dainty lil' flower. Believe me, I've tried!! I'm not a napper, either, which sucks. Hence trying to get a good night's sleep, I've learned after four years, is a priority. I'll wear the same dress all week, go barefoot and eat nothing but Tasty Bites, sleep is just my thing, that keeps me sane out there. :mrgreen:
C.f.M.

Postby Boijoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:56 pm

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Downside, you'd have to buy one of the three coolers it says it fits - and a portable powering unit to plug it into...
C.f.M.

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:06 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-bab ... /?ALLSTEPS

i made one of these once.. ran with a 9 volt battery..

computer fan went for 5-6 hours at a good speed with it.

perhaps wont cool an entire tent (it wont) but it certainly does provide cool air.

swamp coolers are an old school tech and theres zillions of designs out there.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Soldering and drilling and heat guns - even if listed as "optional," all things I don't have! The smaller size would be good for a tent, though - easier to try and wrap in something, to prevent the wet outside from making mud. I had been wondering about computer fans, if they're more specialer than regular camping fans - obviously, they're smaller and require a power source that isn't batteries you can buy anywhere. I meant more like if they cool better.

<----not at all mechanically minded/knowledgeable, obviously
C.f.M.

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:00 pm

02cool fans work very well.

8 D cells suppost to last 72 hours.

Just not enough poop for a swamp cooler.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01 pm

how about a handheld swamp cooler?

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fan-Mini-Ai ... B002F8IFV6

$30 runs on 4 AA's
lemur

Postby Boijoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:03 pm

interesting.. you could line the styrofoam cooler with swamp cooler pads to create more humidity. I think the most powerful fan you can use would help too. ( battery operated ) Im thinking this would be a good use for that cold ice chest water.
Also, I know some folks who spritz the inside of their tent & bed sheets with water.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I spritz, with half water and half rubbing alcohol. Really cools well, and freshens stuff up, too.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby lemur » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

i spritz inside of my tent..

and also (awkwardly enough) open up a big umbrella and move it back and forth horizontally to get the airflowing through.. like if i had been away for a while and the air is all hot like the inside of a car

cools things down enough for hanging out during the day, perhaps not to sleep.
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:20 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Soldering and drilling and heat guns - even if listed as "optional," all things I don't have! The smaller size would be good for a tent, though - easier to try and wrap in something, to prevent the wet outside from making mud. I had been wondering about computer fans, if they're more specialer than regular camping fans - obviously, they're smaller and require a power source that isn't batteries you can buy anywhere. I meant more like if they cool better.

<----not at all mechanically minded/knowledgeable, obviously

(indeed. As evidenced by actual position of name, face, and random info-------->)

(I know, so many changes. Hardly seems like the same board at all...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Maybe it would be easier to just put your tent inside an RV?

Just a thought...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Eric wrote:Maybe it would be easier to just put your tent inside an RV?

Just a thought...

Teach me how to be a slut, so I don't even need a tent, just some antibiotics and jaw exercises?
C.f.M.

Postby illy dilly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:09 pm

C.f.M. wrote:If I got up at sunrise, I wouldn't need a cooler tent, either. :wink:

I'm old. I need my beauty sleep. My tent is always under shade, still gets unsleepably hot. And outside, there's people. THE PEOPLE. I can't sleep with the ruckus - I'm a dainty lil' flower. Believe me, I've tried!! I'm not a napper, either, which sucks. Hence trying to get a good night's sleep, I've learned after four years, is a priority. I'll wear the same dress all week, go barefoot and eat nothing but Tasty Bites, sleep is just my thing, that keeps me sane out there. :mrgreen:

Just keep drinking...
until you wake up well rested, a bit hungry, and ready to party. :wink:

Or for a very simple self cooling napping system a spray bottle and a battery fan. I'm almost always able to find these fans at Walgreens. They run on D batteries, I think either 6 or 8, but the batteries will last a couple Burns. Spray bottles are a buck.

ImageImage
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:36 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Eric wrote:Maybe it would be easier to just put your tent inside an RV?

Just a thought...

Teach me how to be a slut, so I don't even need a tent, just some antibiotics and jaw exercises?

Sure. Though you don't need the antibiotics if you just get them blackout drunk & convince them in the morning you gave them a great time.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:47 am

Then I wouldn't get to follow you around, quietly David Attenboroughing everything you do! And I don't know that my roommates REI membership is good towards roofies...

I realized I have one of those styrofoam coolers sitting right outside my bedroom door, mooped at Euphoria. I am going to try this thing anyways, just for fun! It would be incredibly useful for two of my regionals (where it's 90+ and oh, 100% humidity).
C.f.M.

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am

C.f.M. wrote:Then I wouldn't get to follow you around, quietly David Attenboroughing everything you do! And I don't know that my roommates REI membership is good towards roofies...

I realized I have one of those styrofoam coolers sitting right outside my bedroom door, mooped at Euphoria. I am going to try this thing anyways, just for fun! It would be incredibly useful for two of my regionals (where it's 90+ and oh, 100% humidity).

you might want to check, but it seems styrofoam ice chests are discouraged or prohibited?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 am

i can change that.

i will call up VOGUE and ROLLING STONE to do a photoshoot featuring styrofoam coolers.
lemur

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 am

C.f.M. wrote: It would be incredibly useful for two of my regionals (where it's 90+ and oh, 100% humidity).

Actually, I think anything that works on the swamp cooler principle (adding water to the air) only effectively cools at very low humidity. That's why you don't use swamp coolers in, say, Louisiana. A swamp cooler would be useless (or worse) in 100% humidity.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:12 am

That's true, but CFM isn't building a swamp cooler.

That design relies on ice for the cooling, so the humugity won't matter. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Next

Return to Keeping Cool