cooling your tent or van

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Re: cooling your tent or van

Postby unjonharley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

The only tweeking I have done.. Is a different model fan and wired the pump to run off a battery.Not even messing with the design.. The fan is the same amp..

Waiting for the pads in the mail..
unjonharley

Postby sambojones » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:27 am

has anyone tried the aspen pads with the bucket or box designs? from researching the duracool and aspen pads it seemed like most people that used them in home systems agreed that their temp dropped between 5-15 degrees more with the aspen pads vs duracool due to the synthetic material not getting saturated enough. One reviewer even tried doubling up duracool pads in his evap cooler and said that it still didn't match the temp drop using 1 layer of aspen. I searched this thread and found 1 or 2 people were using them or thinking about using them but then they never posted results. I know the duracool will be less messy to build with, but from reading reviews the aspen didn't seem too bad as far as creating a mess when cutting it. Anyway just wanted to get y'alls input as well as see if anyone has experience using the aspen pads in their cooler. I'll be building either 3 bucket coolers or 3 unicoolers to cool our 3 yurts and will be powering them off our generator using something like this 10" box fan and this harbor freight fountain pump. thanks in advance for any input :D
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:55 am

I've used both types in house coolers and there is no difference.

Under perfect conditions you get 30 degrees cooling.

That's what I get and the duracool pads are easier to work with. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Yellfire! » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 am

Im confused about which pump you actually used. The harbor freight one doenst say its 12V and the other one says 6-9V. Can you post a link to exactly which one you used please? Thanks!
There is something special about Burning Man and I'm frightened by those who don't see it.
Yellfire!

Postby sambojones » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

FIGJAM wrote:I've used both types in house coolers and there is no difference.

Under perfect conditions you get 30 degrees cooling.

That's what I get and the duracool pads are easier to work with. 8)

badass that's exactly the type of info i was looking for! Thanks so much Figjam :D time to put in my order for duracool pads, think i'm gonna order a roll since we have a few to build
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water
sambojones

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am

The duracool pad arrived a few moments ago..

But I must do a repair job for Grandfather this morning..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 am

Sambojones is going to run his coolers off a genny.

Here's the pump I use.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/400519392411?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 am

:idea: Maybe getting an extra HF pump would be a good idea :?:
unjonharley

Postby guerrillayogi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am

AWESOME idea and I've already started acquiring supplies.

SOLAR question: Can I directly power a 0.4amp fan AND the HF solar pump using a 15W solar panel that outputs 0.8amp at 20v in full sun? (0.4 amp in evening sun)

This is the case fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NP ... UTF8&psc=1
This is the solar panel: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FX ... UTF8&psc=1
This is the HF pump: http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-powe ... 66093.html

I DON'T plan on using a battery. Should I be? Or should I get a voltage regulator?

I also have a cheap solar vent fan (unsure about specs, probably 6volt), would it help / hurt to hook up the panel to this as well?

I wish my college electronics courses were fresh in my head! Thanks for any insights, or directions to more resources.
guerrillayogi

Burning Since: 2009

Postby sambojones » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

unjonharley wrote::idea: Maybe getting an extra HF pump would be a good idea :?:

Yup for sure! They have great reviews for longevity on the hf website but at onky $11 each we'll have 3 on hand as backups just in case =)
sambojones

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Cat thinks the duracool pad is a clocking devise.. He has been ambushing me from under it all afternoon..
unjonharley

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:09 am

Does the cat come out from under the duracool covered in little blue chips? My duracool sheds.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 am

No one carries Duracool in the Seattle area west of the Cascades...have to order online. Would the big box stores east of the mountains, say Bend, OR carry it? I want to buy an extra piece...hate paying shipping.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby unjonharley » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 am

Seems they don't know what a swamp cooler is here in the NW

Go to ACE hardware, have then order it for you.. Go to Lowes and have them order it for you.. pickup at the store..
unjonharley

Postby Dusmir » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:59 am

guerrillayogi wrote:AWESOME idea and I've already started acquiring supplies.

SOLAR question: Can I directly power a 0.4amp fan AND the HF solar pump using a 15W solar panel that outputs 0.8amp at 20v in full sun? (0.4 amp in evening sun)

This is the case fan: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NP ... UTF8&psc=1
This is the solar panel: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FX ... UTF8&psc=1
This is the HF pump: http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-powe ... 66093.html

I DON'T plan on using a battery. Should I be? Or should I get a voltage regulator?

I also have a cheap solar vent fan (unsure about specs, probably 6volt), would it help / hurt to hook up the panel to this as well?

I wish my college electronics courses were fresh in my head! Thanks for any insights, or directions to more resources.

Solar panels put out different depending on the sun exposure. They are designed to charge batteries, not run things directly. If you don't want to spring for a good deep cycle, at least pick up a small battery from a computer store, like a 12v 7aH UPS backup power supply battery. It will even out the running when the panel is just barely putting out, and let you run without direct sunlight for a little while. The specs say 17v max output, if you put that into a 12v case fan or a 12v pump, it will probably burn it up. It needs a regulator! ALL the equipment needs to be 12 volt, the HF pump isn't, and if you hook it to a 12v system, you will fry it. You could run it from the original panel that comes with it, and run the case fan with the big panel, battery and charge regulator, or get a 12v pump, and run everything off the big panel. You also probably will just run the fan on high anyway, go for the most CFM and don't worry about a speed control.
Dusmir

Burning Since: 2013

Solar (mini) 101

Postby Dusmir » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:13 pm

If you want to run your cooler off of solar, here are a few things to consider BEFORE you get your parts.

Don't run without a battery in the loop. Solar panel voltages and charge rates swing wildly with the amount of sun exposure.
You can use a very small, light battery, like in a UPS backup/surge suppressor, (check computer stores) they are usually about 7 amp hours. (which means they will run things a couple hours at most, not 7.) It is the reserve capacity that isn't as great, not the voltage. If the panel isn't charging a while, it won't run things as long. Figjam's big deep cycle battery will run a week with no charge, the little backup battery will run maybe 2 hours without a charge.

Don't expect a 5 or 10 watt panel to run anything very well. These are mainly for maintaining fully charged batteries with no load on them, and will not charge a dead battery. If your panel puts out .2 amps in full sun, and you are pulling 1.5 to 2 amps with your pump and fan, you will have a dead battery!

Any panel 15 watts and over, will need a charge regulator. They can put out up to 18 volts un-regulated, and can destroy a 12 volt accessory.

ALL items hooked to the system need to be rated at 12 volts. The little Harbor Freight pumps are about a 6 volt motor or so, and WILL FRY when you hook them to 12 volts.

Buy your equipment first, then your solar system.
After you have everything hooked up and tested on a battery, get a cheap voltage tester that will test amps. (wally world, etc.) and hook it up in-line between your battery and the load. (your cooler AND whatever else you will be running) Turn everthing on, and see what the amp reading is, then buy a panel and regulator that puts out MORE than that. You can also estimate your needs by adding up all the rated amp draws of all the items, and get a system that puts out at least 2 amps more than that.

Alternatives:
Just buy a large capacity deep cycle battery and if it runs low, charge it from a running vehicle for a while with jumper cables. It would be cheaper if the system would only be used once a year.
A solar panel and small battery, being charged every day, (correctly) will probably perform just as well as a large battery with a big reserve, but for less time if the sun isn't out. (If you are shipping things, the weight is less.)
You can run two or more small batteries to give more reserve. But, try to match them. ( both new, rated close to the same, etc.) and hook positive to positive, negative to negative, and you have doubled your reserve capacity.

I know someone will get on here and say they have run this or that on just a 20 watt panel with no battery or charge controller, and they may have, but, they may have a pump that can take it, their fan might be rated up to 16 volts, they may be lying, you never know. I wouldn't trust a setup like that without testing it first and making sure it functioned.

HAVE FUN!
Dusmir

Postby latino63 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey fig jam, thanks for all this amazing info. I'm making one of these coolers. I have all the parts you listed. However, the solar pump doesn't seem to be strong enough to power the fan. Can i use one of those backup garage door opener battery. I think they are rechargeable.
Also, the fan i bought has 4 wires and they are all black. I think i found the 2 that will work. When i hooked it up to the solar pump panel, it made a short move but did not keep the fan running. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. )^(
latino63

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I believe the 2 wire at each outside of the pin are the +-.

I don't know what the backup battery is that you are refuring to. :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:42 pm

latino63 wrote:Hey fig jam, thanks for all this amazing info. I'm making one of these coolers. I have all the parts you listed. However, the solar pump doesn't seem to be strong enough to power the fan. Can i use one of those backup garage door opener battery. I think they are rechargeable.
Also, the fan i bought has 4 wires and they are all black. I think i found the 2 that will work. When i hooked it up to the solar pump panel, it made a short move but did not keep the fan running. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. )^(

I'm prolly the worst person to get involved in discussion here, but I don't think the fan is supposed to run off the solar pump panel...just the pump. The fan will have to have it's own separate solar panel or battery...am I right?
dragonpilot

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm

unjonharley wrote:Seems they don't know what a swamp cooler is here in the NW

Go to ACE hardware, have then order it for you.. Go to Lowes and have them order it for you.. pickup at the store..

You got that right! Geez...they look at you like you got a dick growing out of your forehead when you say swamp cooler... :lol:

Will try to order at one of the local stores.
dragonpilot

Postby Canoe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:03 pm

dragonpilot wrote:No one carries Duracool in the Seattle area west of the Cascades...have to order online. Would the big box stores east of the mountains, say Bend, OR carry it? I want to buy an extra piece...hate paying shipping.

None in Reno by BRC time.
On shelf, Lowe's in Fernley, 2012. Don't know about this year.
viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&p=898717&hilit=fernley#p898717
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby dj_shuze » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi -

I've been planning on building & staying in an H12 Hexayurt. (See the 2nd image, lower-left of the 4 in the diagram, called an "8' Hexayurt" on this page: http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_playa .) Quick back of the envelope calculation suggests this is around 1,000 cu. ft.

I'd been planning on building the bucket cooler - until I got about 1/2 way into this 74 page thread, where I learned it's only good for about 300 cu. ft.

BUT, I can't build the bigger unit. I'm coming from Boston; I can't put anything on a pickup and drive it there; I either need to build it so it will fit into shipping totes I can put on the Boston-based container (semi trailer), or nothing. (So the big cooler is a non-starter for me.)

So I guess my first question is "Will the Bucket cooler even make a notable difference in the Yurt?" E.g. even though it might not drop the temp by 30 degrees, will it drop it by, say, 15? I mean, even an 85 degree yurt might be better than a 100+ degree yurt.

Assuming the answer is "It's better than nothing", I have 6 days to get this built before it has to go on the Semi from Boston to the Playa, so getting the optimal fan will involve luck, last-minute delivery / assembly (that must get completed without a hitch), and expensive shipping. (I note also that I'm going to have to get batting shipped to RNO for pickup; swamp cooler supplies aren't stocked at big-box stores in cities with 90% humidity. ;-)

Given those facts, in your educated, subjective opinion, is it worth me going to the effort of trying to build one of these?

Opinions invited.
dj_shuze

Camp Name: Playa Bike Repair

Postby Odie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:19 pm

Just converted my Figjam swamp cooler to AC-----, 4" fan ($6) from wally world, 160gpm ($10) pump from china freight, connected to 400w inverter Fried Electronics ($40), then to the battery. It seems I am getting more water action and more airflow. NOTE: I use a 85w solar charger to maintain my batteries.
also DO NOT use the green air filters, moopiest fuck'n things ever... Use the blue pads. And to Figjam, great design
Odie

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Independent

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:52 pm

dj shuze

If you build the bucket as designed, you'll have a complete air exchange about every 5 minutes.

Duct it into the space over your sleeping area so that it will cool that area if not the whole yurt. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TT120 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Both the Lowe's and Home Depot here in Sacramento have the pads on the shelves but most of the employees don't know what it's for.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Here in Seattle Lowe's and Home Depot is glad to order it for ya...$7 for the pad, $9.50 for shipping...yeah, right! Ace Hardware says they'd have to order a whole case and ain't going to do that to sell one pad.

I did find out that the True Value store in Lakeview, Oregon has bales of the stuff! As do the True Value and Ace hardwares in Alturas, CA...right along my driving route!
dragonpilot

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:24 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Here in Seattle Lowe's and Home Depot is glad to order it for ya...$7 for the pad, $9.50 for shipping...yeah, right! Ace Hardware says they'd have to order a whole case and ain't going to do that to sell one pad.

I did find out that the True Value store in Lakeview, Oregon has bales of the stuff! As do the True Value and Ace hardwares in Alturas, CA...right along my driving route!

They lie!

It's company policy.

Your ACE can call one of the stores down here and it will get shipped free.

I got a single 20'x20' shade tarp shipped down from up there the same way because their store had 30 and mine had none. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dj_shuze » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:01 pm

FIGJAM wrote:If you build the bucket as designed, you'll have a complete air exchange about every 5 minutes.
Duct it into the space over your sleeping area so that it will cool that area if not the whole yurt. 8)

Thanks, Figjam.

Ok. You've convinced me. Now to see if:
- The Home Depot bucket will fit in my shipping tote;
- I can get one of the designated fans shipped in time (which means "must be shipped by vendor by EOD tomorrow, Monday, with overnight ship." Ugh - $$);
- Get this contraption built and be comfortable with my testing _without_ swamp cooler batting (they don't have that stuff up here) - all before Saturday;
- Have some batting shipped to an Ace Hardware in RNO for pickup when I arrive.

The real tricky parts: Insulated ducting is NOT going to in my tote. I'll need to use thin-walled dryer ducting that can accordion down. I found this at Home Depot today http://thd.co/16n1lm0 to test whether it fits in the tote. I also got this diffuser to try to connect that ducting to the Yurt wall http://thd.co/16n1JAX.

Cross your fingers.
-jb
dj_shuze

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Forget the defuser and just run the dryer tube through the wall.

Did you see a defuser in ANY of my designs?

You'll want the direct breeze, trust me. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby dj_shuze » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:01 am

FIGJAM wrote:Forget the defuser and just run the dryer tube through the wall.
Did you see a defuser in ANY of my designs?
You'll want the direct breeze, trust me. 8)

Well, there ya go. Will do. Thanks.
dj_shuze

PreviousNext

Return to Keeping Cool