dry ice

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Postby Sobretta Franjipan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:29 pm

synchronicity wrote:. I have accidently frozen beer solid and ruptured cans due to dry ice use.

My God! I'm going to pretend I didn't read that!
Sobretta Franjipan

dry ice

Postby idelite » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:38 pm

:? i'm wondering about some combination of dry ice layered with wet ice in a cooler...maybe dry ice covered with paper or a towel, with wet ice and food on top? this has been a great thread for me (first timer with tons of questions and a thirst for knowledge ;-)
when you have nowhere to go,
you can go anywhere.
nowhere, now here.
idelite

Re: dry ice

Postby Bob A » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:18 pm

idelite wrote::? i'm wondering about some combination of dry ice layered with wet ice in a cooler...maybe dry ice covered with paper or a towel, with wet ice and food on top? this has been a great thread for me (first timer with tons of questions and a thirst for knowledge ;-)

Be careful with that idea if dry ice gets wet it disappears very fast and makes lots of white clouds think really big smoke machine. Put your dry ice in 2 or 3 layers of paper bags, foil etc and duck tape each chunk closed. The idea is limit exposure to air not stop it completely. Keep the dry ice around your food like on top and sides, remember cold goes down. This will be a deep freeze a lot colder than even your freezer at home so think frozen food only. The only reason to put regular ice in it is if you want to save the ice for latter in the week, but why bother just buy more at center camp. Keep another cooler for regular ice. Take the frozen food you want out of the dry ice cooler a day a head of time and put it in the reg. cooler. It will take a day to thaw enough to use. Even Ice cream will be too frozen when it comes right out of dry ice. Also pack the dry ice cooler to the top stuff paper into any places you do not have food. Air is the enemy of dry ice. And last do not open the dry ice cooler except to transfer food to the regular cooler.

Bob A
Bob A

correction

Postby dapete » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:49 pm

woops! wrong thread!
dapete

Burning Since: 1992
Camp Name: Random Pants

Postby Plan B » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Current dry ice prices in Reno/Sparks:

Glacier Ice - $.89 per pound
Praxair - $ .50 per poound.
Plan B

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:51 pm

ALSO, dry ice will work best in an extreme cooler. those are the ones that say they'll keep ice frozen for 5 days.
Packed my cooler on friday night with frozen goods, duct taped it shut, then opened it wed. afternoon. The ice was gone, but all the food was still frozen. Since it was frozen, I probably could have kept it closed another day and everything would still be frozen or at least begining to thaw.
Wed. night we had the best frozen gyoza from trader joe's.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:23 pm

I have 2 of the 5 day wonders - I use one for nothing *but* dry ice (and feed it to my "working dry ice freezer" as needed) and it lasts me a full week minimum. Takes about 80-90 lbs, plus I also buy a couple 10 lb chunks for the other coolers to get them chilled.

One trick I like is to get like a 10# flat for each of the 5 day coolers and another 10# flat to split between the other coolers a couple days before hand, so they're well chilled by the time I'm ready to load with either food or dry ice.

When I still have cold coolers for exodus, it makes it all worthwile...

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby frenchblue1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:46 pm

For the cost of dry Ice you can buy a Thermo electric cooler that heats or cools. They plug into your 12v cig lighter or you can also plug them into a generator with the adapter. I've rigged 2 of them up for under my coach but you could do the same in an auto or run a battery system.
frenchblue1

Postby frenchblue1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 pm

oh...they are about 69 bucks on ebay right now.
frenchblue1

Postby unjonharley » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 pm

frenchblue1 wrote:For the cost of dry Ice you can buy a Thermo electric cooler that heats or cools. They plug into your 12v cig lighter or you can also plug them into a generator with the adapter. I've rigged 2 of them up for under my coach but you could do the same in an auto or run a battery system.

/
Those cool relative to the outside temp. On a hot day in Black Rock city It would cool down to about 50°f. But if you insist I have one to sell. In new condition with a/c converter.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Re: dry ice

Postby Dork » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:34 pm

idelite wrote::? i'm wondering about some combination of dry ice layered with wet ice in a cooler...maybe dry ice covered with paper or a towel, with wet ice and food on top? this has been a great thread for me (first timer with tons of questions and a thirst for knowledge ;-)

Only put things in the dry ice cooler that you want to be frozen into a solid block. The temperature may be warmer at one end of a cooler if you have the dry ice at the other, but this will vary too much to be dependable.

If you only need things cooled and not frozen, stick to regular ice.
Dork

Postby frenchblue1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:22 pm

[quote="
Those cool relative to the outside temp. On a hot day in Black Rock city It would cool down to about 50°f. But if you insist I have one to sell. In new condition with a/c converter.[/quote]

I live in AZ..can't get to much hotter than here. They work well for me...is yours new?
frenchblue1

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:54 am

frenchblue1 wrote:[quote="
Those cool relative to the outside temp. On a hot day in Black Rock city It would cool down to about 50°f. But if you insist I have one to sell. In new condition with a/c converter.

I live in AZ..can't get to much hotter than here. They work well for me...is yours new?[/quote]

/
Yup, I have lived in Az. It gets warm now and than. I have use this type of cooler in cross country trips. They work well with the A/C going. Will eat a battry in hot second if you leave it on without the engine running. The cooler filled in when the frig. broke down. Them again it was in the house at 70°f. If you have it on the playa you will need shade it and and keep a genny runing all the time. Plane old ice work better. My ice chest last a whole week plus. Just fill it with block ice, put your stuff in and fill around that with party ice. Wrap the cooler in two blankets and a silver tarp. Keep it out of the sun and off the ground. There is a debat on weather to drain the water off on not. I personaly drain and use the water.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:20 am

We have a 12v cooler which larry uses in the semi, but we haven't once considered it for burning man. It doesn't cool all that well compared to ice in a cooler, and it does suck battery. Ours can even run down the battery bank in the freakin' truck!

The newer models may be better, but why bother? The ice line is so entertaining!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby alienfry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:30 pm

what's your guys' exprience with dry ice "snow" ?

i'm checking out a gadget that makes it, and my first question is of course "will it evaporate faster than a block, even if i wrap it up real good?"
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby alienfry » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 pm

so upon searching online for a company that refills CO2 tanks, i found only a handful of places and none of them posted their prices.

i'm looking for cost per pound of liquid CO2.

help?
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby ibdave » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:07 pm

alienfry wrote:so upon searching online for a company that refills CO2 tanks, i found only a handful of places and none of them posted their prices.

i'm looking for cost per pound of liquid CO2.

help?

Try a Welding supply store.. I worked at one years ago, we sold it then..

Rent the tank and buy the goods..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby R1Z » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:25 am

You might also try your local carbonated beverage distributor. (Coke-Pepsi-Canada Dry, etc.)
To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
Moderation is for monks.
--Robt. Heinlein
R1Z

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:31 am

I see you live in LA

try these places:

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q ... l&ct=title
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Tiara » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:32 pm

Here's a directory of the praxair locations that offer dry ice:
http://ecatalog.praxair.com/storelocator/usdi.html

FYI, the location in Fairfield, CA is less than a mile off I-80, and most folks driving from the Bay Area will pass right by it.
Tiara

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:37 am

Can some of you share how well dry ice worked for you ooor not?. How did you use it.?
unjonharley

~

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:44 am

Dry Ice is great.. I have used it many times for many different things. You can make fog with it, just use 4-5 lbs of hot water for every 1 lb of dry ice. You can keep stuff cold longer than reg ice. You can add a chunk to a punch bowl and have a fog at the top of the punch bowl, sometimes called witches brew. I recommend finding industrial gas suppliers in your area to get it from, much cheaper than the market. Should cost about 30 cents to a dollar a pound depending on where you live and the local economy. DO NOT INGEST DRY ICE!!! DO NOT HANDLE WITH BARE HANDS!!! Dry Ice is VERY cold. DO NOT STORE IN TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER!!! Dry Ice is a solid form of Carbon Dioxide.. it expands ALOT when returning to gaseous form. I have a drink dispenser that holds ice in a center colum and the liquid around the outside, originally designed so ice will not mix with the drink.. works great with dry ice.
As far as using it in Heavy Duty coolers.. the aforementioned 10# slab works the best.
-Dave
Toolmaker

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:10 pm

I bring an old transit bus to the burn. The folks I bought it from years ago had a Travler propane rv fridge (no longer made) inside as part of their "camper" setup. Since it still mostly works I've kept it after refitting the bus. I stock up with food at Fernley and add a couple blocks of dry ice to the fridge to keep things cool until I get set up on the playa and can turn on the propane. Works nice, no water melt to deal with. I also have a seperate cooler with block ice as a backup :D
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby AntiM » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:01 am

Dry ice made our ice cream and cream puffs carbonated. Weird, but kinda cool.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby burnerboy33 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:25 pm

I make homemade rootbeer with dry ice. I think the recipe is as followed:

2 gal. of water
2 Lbs of sugar
2 oz. of rooteer extract
4 lbs. of dry ice

when it stops bubbling it is done. Nicely carbonated.

I have used dry ice for the past 4 years, works great. I go out in just my truck and have never had to buy ice in center camp. One big good cooler with 10 lbs. dry ice in the bottom(placed in a plastic garbage bag, with the opening open at the top of the cooler) wet ice in the middle, and 10 lbs. more dryice on the top. My other cooler has food and beer it it and I place 5 lbs. dry ice in the bottom side away from the drain plug, put a big bag of wet ice on top of the dryice, then put in beer and food. never froze a beer or had to drink a warm one. I gave away 20lbs. of wet ice cus I had left over on sat. morning.
burnerboy33

Dry Ice and a Stupid Human Trick

Postby Nomenature » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:13 pm

I had a *very* close call one time with dry ice. Not a BM event, but worthy of retelling nontheless...

I had been attending a rather large annual memorial day gathering in the MidWest. At some point I was struck with this thought:

"Wouldn't it be really cool to show up toward the end of the festival, and bring a buttload of icecream to give away to all the hot, tired festy goers, just for the fun of it?"

Yes! what a fabulous idea! So I trotted off to Sam's club, and found the biggest honking cooler I could find - about the size of a small coffin. When the right day came, I got my dry ice, and then bought as many popcycles and creamcycles and fudgey bars I could get into the cooler with the dry ice and headed out to the festy (Camp Gaia, in case any one is familiar...) by myself.

On my way out there, I started feeling funny. Soon, I found that I was breathing REALLY hard. Now: I have asthma, so naturally, that's where my head went initially. I am having an asthma attack. But this was different. Maybe I was having a heart attack?? I was moving air in and out ok, but I was breathing really hard and didn't feel like I was getting any air.

At that moment, I looked down at the air conditioning controls on the dash of my truck an noticed the vent setting was on recirculate. Some angel-bell then went off in my head, and it all occurred to me: I was running out of oxygen!!! The air was on recirc, and all that CO2 was sublimating in the backseat - cooler shut tight or not!

I quickly rolled down the windows, and was ok. But I was really really scared after that. If I had not done the right thing in time, I would have blacked-out and run off of a rural Kansas road, been found dead in my car with all that ice cream melting in the cooler.

Object lesson: Be very careful to have adequate ventilation, even if it seems like you container is locked up nice-an-tight. I am (IMHO) "smarter-than-your-average-bear" and I'd have been deader than dead if I'd have not had that flash of insight when I did. No shit.

BTW: the whole ice cream give away thing was a huge sucess. Yes the peoples we all hot and dirty and could not believe this gal was dragging around a (much smaller) cooler on wheels with a frosty treat for free. That part was big fun!

Keep your dry ice ventilated!

Peace peoples...
Momma Nomen
It is only shallow people who do not judge by appearances. The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible. - Oscar Wilde
Nomenature

ice chest

Postby willfixit » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 pm

as a 4 yr youngster...I have found that lining the exterior of the coolers with the 1" foam with foil from home Depot and adding 15 lbs of dry ice inside under the regular ice can make it good for a week or a but less. last year i put in too much dry ice and everything froze solid for over a week. it was a bit fucked. I had to put my unfrozen drinks on top and chill them because everything was solid frozen. a bit less dry ice next year...the external covering basically was a foam box built over the entire coolers double layered on the bottom (sitting on the hot ground) strapped with duct tape and ducting foil tape.
Thermal Shock Camp
Will Fix-it AKA Ranger Guardian
The man with the magic fingers!
willfixit

Postby Mushroom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:24 am

So does anyone know how much dry ice per square inch? and do you think they'd have a problem with me brining it on the plane? if so where in LV can I pick some up?
Mushroom

Postby pinemom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:56 am

Mushroom, im gonna say no they wont allow you to bring dry ice on the airplane. Its a caustic chemical, and somehow no matter how innocent, the why is, they still wont. have a hard enough time getting your shampoo on the plane not to mention you will be the first one searched because your from another country!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby robotland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:34 am

With a little Reflectix and duct tape you can make a spiffy-looking Kooler Kozy that will extend your cooler's capacity. Be sure to accomodate lid and handles when covering! Also plan for a spot in camp that remains shady throughout the day or be prepared to drag coolers around constantly.
MidWesties- Meijer carries dry ice- Buck a pound.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

PreviousNext

Return to Keeping Cool