Advice on glues for costume?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Advice on glues for costume?

Postby othereye » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:32 am

I've accidently fallen into a whole theme for myself of wearing recycled and repurposed stuff for all of my outfits. The duct-tape bustier is done, the film hula-skirt's a piece of cake, but my favorite project is becoming a challenge.

I'm making a bolo jacket and frilly skirt out of coffee filters. Any idea on how to adhere each filter to the next? I'm leaning towards rubber cement but not sure how that will do in the heat. I know hot glue is out. Elmers is okay unless I get wet, which seems unlikely until you consider kind people with sprayers and camps with water displays/events.

Has anyone made someting like this before? Paper playa atiya?
othereye

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:42 am

I'm wondering if fusable webbing might work (sewing stores.) double sided and iron together. It would be light wieght. I'm planning on working on some cloth bags with the stuff, but life is getting in the way of artistic experimentation. Goop has a good rep on this board, but I don't know if thats a good mix with your material.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bronwen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:18 am

Hello Othereye,

I love your ideas! I may be able to get you detailed info on how to make your own chainmail from things like beer bottle tops and paperclips if you're interested. My dad is a fashion designer and teaches a course in bizarre stuff like that. I am also a halloween freak so I went through my books & links and found this for you:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml ... id=tvs5316

It looks like white glue and hot glue are the best for this type of project, based on the quick scans I did.

There's also a book you may want to check out, which has tons of FANTASTIC ideas, "Halloween - A Grown-Up's Guide to Creative Costumes, Devilish Decor & Fabulous Festivities" by Joanne O'Sullivan, ISBN # 6174100346.

Finally, I stumbled across a forum called cosplay.com, all about costumes etc, which may be a good place for you to get information and maybe inspiration. :D
Bronwen

Postby Bronwen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:22 am

OH!!! Reading Crypto's note about the fusible webbing reminded me! I have used the iron-on fusible tape (heavy duty for upholstery) with great success on various homemade costumes. I have NOT had good success with the myriad fabric glues out there, especially the ones that ostensibly stretch. In some cases its just easier and quicker to slip stitch certain materials together, unless you have a sewing machine that does a zigzag stretch stitch (like that used on bathing suits).
Bronwen

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:38 am

Dang, now that I think about it, I've seen some great recycled fasion coming out of the dumpster diva
http://www.trashopia.com/artists.html
or someone else. Not playa artists, that I'm aware of, but they may know a lot about glues. Just a thought.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby bullD » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:20 am

I have tried many fabric adhesives with results leaving me not to stuck on the products. (shameless pun intended)

HOWEVER, there is one fabric adhesive that I have used on many different surfaces and it's the shit:

Beacon Adhesives "Fabric-Tac", it's a permanent adhesive, grabs fast and drys quick. it's even washable, check it out. this stuff should be at your local fabric/arts/crafts store.

www(dot)beaconcreates(dot)com
bullD

Postby othereye » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Once again I am overwhelmed by the creativity and helpfulness of this community!

Bronwen: Funny you should mention chainmail, that's how this all got started! I'm making dozens of bracelets out of soda-pop tabs and ribbon to be gifted. While making those I modified the system to create an entire lunch-boxy-type purse to carry them and my camera around it. I think I'll post some pics soon so y'all can see what I'm talkin about.

BullD: I HAVE THAT! Ha! I was using it on the bracelets and didn't even think about cross-project use. Score. Trying it as soon as I get home.
othereye

Postby dougaldutch » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:48 am

Well this thread just answered one of my playa costume questions thats been banging around my heade like a bumblebee in a jar. I am currently working on making some scale mail from sliced up and folded sections from beer cans, but now I am very intrigued about this whole chainmail bottle tops thing. Would love some more info on it if you have it at hand, my scanvengers eye is developing, no abandonded beer can is safe.
I'm off my tits on Happiness!
dougaldutch

Postby robotland » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:10 am

How about a coupla quick machine-zigzag stitches to fasten coffee filters? Crypto mentioned GOOP earlier, (beat me to it!) and I'll vouch for it although you wouldn't want to use much....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:25 am

3-D fabric paint is very useful for holding things together and/or afixing heavy shiny bits to costumes. Somewhat soft and flexible when dry and comes in many sparkly or UV colors.

I even use it on plastic (heads) and metal (mailbox and bikes).
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:19 am

You can probably google "chainmail instructions beer can" or some similier combination and get a lot of good ideas. I know I've seen wire chain mail instructions--but not sure if book or web based.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bronwen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:38 am

Doug, Crypto's idea to look online for chainmail stuff is a good one, but I'll be sure to ask my Dad too. He promised me he'd tell me his "secrets". Since he's in South Africa it might take a while (airmail takes 2 weeks these days) so keep watching this topic periodically. I'll post what I hear from him ASAP.

Like AntiM I have had good results using fabric paints as glue, actually better than using fabric glue. It can be really pretty too. AntiM, how do you get it to stick to non-pourous surfaces? I've had problems with it peeling off...
Bronwen

Postby Tiara » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Seems like the biggest challenge isn't how to attach the coffee filters, but how to keep them from ripping into pieces or being ripped off the costume and becoming MOOP. (I'm assuming you're talking about the paper coffee filter liners)

I would recommend pre-emptive zigzag stitching around the edges to give them strength to resist tearing. And you might consider putting a strip of some sort of tape on the underside of the attachment point and zigzag stitching through tape and coffee filter for extra strength.

Hot glue really is not a good option, as the costume will likely be left in a hot tent or car in the midday sun at some point in the week, and the hot glue may get squishy again.

You might also want to keep a lighweight plastic rain poncho with you when wearing this piece so you can keep from becoming a sodden mass if a sudden storm blows up.
Tiara

Postby bullD » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:48 pm

Burn Naked!!!

eh hem, sorry.

coffee filters, hmmmm. a coffee filter outfit with light of some kind eminating through the translucent material in the form of??? sounds fun.
bullD

Postby othereye » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:21 pm

It's looking like the Fabri-Tac is the forerunner for durability. Howver, nudity really is the worst case scenario, and this is the best place for that worst case. Right? Not hating the poncho idea though.... Or carrying a crumply dress of some sort.

Thank Yous.

Will post a link to all WIPs in the near future.
"Sometimes, honey, you just have to look reality in the eye and say..... 'what happened to your other eye, dude?!'" - Angela Waversak, as quoted on eriswerks.org
othereye

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:34 am

Thanks, Tiara, I was starting to wonder if that sort of paper might be sewn and was gonnna suggest it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Tiara » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:17 pm

I'm not trying to pick on you othereye, but I want to make this point for the benefit of others who might be reading these forums.

Howver, nudity really is the worst case scenario

Whatever your personal comfort level may be is up to you.

But the worst case scenario for Burning Man is when anyone's costume shreds into MOOP-y bits that get scattered with the winds. Some participant/volunteer has to chase down every last speck of the debris. If not, the worst case scenario would be that Burning Man fails one of its annual inspections and cannot obtain a permit for the next year.
Tiara

Postby othereye » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Right, but, as I said, this is the best possible place for that worst case. As in: The time the seat of my pants ripped in front of my class it was a problem. This, not so much.

Obviously if part of my attire is sent flying off my person I'll be running them down! I'm not going to stand around naked and befuddled watching my outfit singlehandedly destroy Burning Man forever.

If the underlying message you're trying to convey is "Don't design or wear anything that might fall apart and be irretrievable" then that's fine and makes sense. In fact my intent in making this post was to be sure that what I design will survive the playa and to seek advice. I would assume others reading it would be hoping to gain that same knowledge, potentially resulting in several fewer people making accidental moop!
"Sometimes, honey, you just have to look reality in the eye and say..... 'what happened to your other eye, dude?!'" - Angela Waversak, as quoted on eriswerks.org
othereye

This to That

Postby LostMachine » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:47 pm

This is a great site that I’ve used in the past when I asked myself similar questions.

http://www.thistothat.com
LostMachine

Postby othereye » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:24 am

shock: Wow, Lost, that is .... HOT!!! Who knew someone would have the time and brainpower to devote an entire website to this? Love it! Thanks. : :
othereye

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:32 am

Divine intervention! In all seriousness I was going to look up gluing tips this evening and lo and behold that link shows up! LostMachine, THANK YOU!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 25, 2006 10:42 am

looking for ideas on how to prep custumes for playa. Found this.

Bump!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:56 am

Bump.

Barge Cement (original flavor).
20 yrs ago I used in place of sewing to attach patches to my uniform.
2 decades of laundering, ironing, even dry cleaning. They're going nowhere.
Love the stuff. Found a tube of it @ grandpa's house after he passed.
It was the best thing I ever inherited :)

Ff

(Love these old threads...)
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby BBadger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 am

This post must've been resurrected from some some ancient tomb.

Glue is great, but often I like using staples to mechanically adhere fabrics together. Then a thin spread-out blob of hot glue to give some reinforcement.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 pm

BBadger wrote:This post must've been resurrected from some some ancient tomb.

I rolled the stone away and found this thread instead.
I figured people probably still need to glue stuff, so...

I'm gonna be exhuming more of these. I've mined all the stuff from the last year or two. Now it's time to hotwire the way-back machine!

Ff
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:12 am

Old threads are great!

I'm going to get that book Bronwen metioned...thankfully my local library has lots of copies :D
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 am

Stitch-Witchery needs to be really hotly melted onto your fabrics, because it can cool off and not stick at all. After the fact. And your hem falls.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 am

OMG!! Fallen Hems! what a dis-assed-her !

LOL couldn't resist

just make sure the glue smells good
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 am

I can't believe not one's mentioned Goop since this thread got bumped.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I can't believe not one's mentioned Goop since this thread got bumped.

Just Gooped the cups on my Grabber this morning..

And.. Will be useing it on all joints of a 1920's style cab for the trike.

I mis the Goop Pooper's posts.. Where ya at Roboland??
unjonharley

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear