Need new playa shoes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:59 pm

I usually wear my UGG Birch Boots out there. Yeah, they're ugly and this year they're going to be too large (my feet shrunk a little), but the uppers are suede and the rest is regular smoothe leather. They clean up nicely with Orange soap and a toothbrush.

I saw a NICE pair of Portuguese spats/half chaps on the 'net for $95. Just think knee-high leather leggins with some nice fancy stitching at the tops.
Y'know, now that I think about it...I have leather, I can probably <i>make</i> them and save the money...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby spaceboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:54 pm

One word:

KEENs

Great open shoes, better than sticky stinky Birks, and tough as hell.

Waterproof too.

I wear those and my Merrell Breeze boots. You can actually feel the air rushing through them as you walk. Ventilation of sweat is important in preventing blisters. Plus they're really comfy on those long long walks.

--S--
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!
spaceboy

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:45 am

Does anyone have any feedback on just standard issue GI desert combat boots? They can be found for pretty cheap on Ebay.. $20 or so..
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Orchid » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:55 am

junglesmacks wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on just standard issue GI desert combat boots? They can be found for pretty cheap on Ebay.. $20 or so..

Shiny black or brown suede-style? The black boots tend to be a bit stiff when new and take longer to break in.
Orchid

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:59 am

The desert tan/combat/part fabric style. You can get a lightly used pair that are already broken in even..
junglesmacks

Postby Orchid » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:18 am

Even if they're already broken in for someone else's foot, I'd suggest you wear them around a bit before you hit the playa. The tan jungle boots break in pretty quickly and are very comfortable.
Orchid

Postby misfit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:20 am

good playa shoe,,, palladiums. canvas with combat soles, designed for the french foreign legion. no break in period.... palladiumboots.com
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 am

Orchid wrote:Even if they're already broken in for someone else's foot, I'd suggest you wear them around a bit before you hit the playa. The tan jungle boots break in pretty quickly and are very comfortable.

Old-style "jungle" boots have two small vents in the instep, will let in the dust. New-style "desert" boots should not have those vents, but check first.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Orchid » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:51 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Orchid wrote:Even if they're already broken in for someone else's foot, I'd suggest you wear them around a bit before you hit the playa. The tan jungle boots break in pretty quickly and are very comfortable.

Old-style "jungle" boots have two small vents in the instep, will let in the dust. New-style "desert" boots should not have those vents, but check first.

This is correct. The new boots have vents in the soles.
Orchid

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:41 am

Orchid wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

This is correct. The new boots have vents in the soles.

I wonder what kind of boots we'll get for the next invasion terrain...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:42 am

So this is a pretty old thread. I don't know how many people read it from the beginning, and how many just read the new posts.
Should old threads be archived? If so, when?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 am

theCryptofishist wrote:So this is a pretty old thread. I don't know how many people read it from the beginning, and how many just read the new posts.
Should old threads be archived? If so, when?

I thought it was still timeless information, as the shoe issue never changes from year to year. I always think it better to consolidate information as much as possible, as to have it all in one place for better reference.

IMHO
junglesmacks

Postby Sham » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:29 am

Perfect for the playa day or night!
Sham

Postby Shotglass75 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

I put this in another thread but I think it would be better suited for this one. Thoughts?

Thinking of getting these since I can get a good deal from my buddy but I want to make sure that these would protect me from the elements. I'd rather spend the extra dough on something that would protect my feet than save a few bucks. Not the most fashionable, but if I can save a few bucks, yeah for me. Do you have any other suggestions for good shoes for the Playa? I know everyone is different, but for this virgin it's good to hear opinions.

Product Information

Sporty outings start with this lightweight day hiker. The adidas Terrex Swift EVO CP has a CLIMAPROOF® membrane to keep water from seeping in and a TRAXION® outsole for sure-footed grip when you're moving fast.
Details

* Waterproof, breathable CLIMAPROOF® keeps your feet dry and comfortable
* Synthetic upper for durability
* Comfortable textile lining
* Push-through Protection Plate protects the foot against roots and rocks
* adiPRENE® under the heel for superior cushioning at impact
* TRAXIONâ„¢ outsole for maximum grip in all directions
* Imported

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index ... 9&kwCatId= &cid=G17621&shopGroup=R

Shotglass75

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:54 am

I guess I'm in the minority, I was barefoot around camp day and night, and for wandering I had a pair of boots I got for like, ten bucks at Burlington Coat Factory. Put in a four dollar pair of insoles, and was fine.

I did all the same shoe research, but ended up just taking stuff I had and was glad I didn't spend the money on something new.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Shotglass
That should get you around the playa; once you get off of it they will be playafied forever. I don't know how they would react to the rain, I've never been on playa for a deluge.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Boijoy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm thinking bring a few pairs of shoes. That way if your feet get tired you can swap them out. :) Shot, those look real comphy though.
I like soft Dr. Martens for the soles.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby baconqurlyq » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm bringing sandals for inside the RV, my well-broken-in running shoes that don't give my feet any problems, a pair of black zip-up ankle boots, and I'm looking to buy a pair of used brown cowboy boots that are hopefully comfy and fashionable. Gotta wear *something* with my tutu.
baconqurlyq

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 pm

my main shoes this year are a pair off Converse all-stars that are starting their decline. They're custom colors (yellow & blue) so they're bright, they're extremely comfy (with insoles), and they breath. Perfect day shoes.

For nights & costumes I have some thrift-store finds to wear- yes, I've been wearing them to make sure I can survive in them.

I will never bring new shoes out there.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Boijoy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Eric wrote:my main shoes this year are a pair off Converse all-stars that are starting their decline. They're custom colors (yellow & blue) so they're bright, they're extremely comfy (with insoles), and they breath. Perfect day shoes.

For nights & costumes I have some thrift-store finds to wear- yes, I've been wearing them to make sure I can survive in them.

I will never bring new shoes out there.

funny. I pegged you as a Converse kid. :wink:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Boijoy wrote:funny. I pegged you as a Converse kid. :wink:

Converse, yes. Kid? Me & my gray hairs thank you. *g*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby thesandman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 am

i have got a pair of Danner TFX Desert Boots very nice but may add something too thats light to slip on and off but will have the danners on half the time with my utilkilt
thesandman

Postby peterakabob » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:18 am

spaceboy wrote:One word:

KEENs

Great open shoes, better than sticky stinky Birks, and tough as hell.

Waterproof too.

I wear those and my Merrell Breeze boots. You can actually feel the air rushing through them as you walk. Ventilation of sweat is important in preventing blisters. Plus they're really comfy on those long long walks.

--S--

I can vouch for KEENs, I've owned 3 pairs myself. This is my favorite model of shoe they have:

peterakabob

Postby teardropper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:35 am

junglesmacks wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on just standard issue GI desert combat boots? They can be found for pretty cheap on Ebay.. $20 or so..

I got a pair of Bates desert boots that are made for military use, suede leather and fabric w/ GoreTex liner at my Army surplus store. $20? No. Much more, but new and very comfortable. Had them on the playa a couple of times and they not only work nicely, they are the color of playa dust.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 am

thesandman wrote:i have got a pair of Danner TFX Desert Boots very nice but may add something too thats light to slip on and off but will have the danners on half the time with my utilkilt

Yay! Another Danner fan. I've got a pair of the Desert Acadia's that I wear 90% of the time. They'll be making their 4th trip this year.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby thesandman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:28 pm

i may add a pair of crocs clogs for a ez on and off going to try diff pairs on today with shocks to be safe http://www.crocs.com/
thesandman

Postby Token » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby thesandman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:18 pm

Token wrote:Image

will i did give up on looking normal on the playa :D
thesandman

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Elorrum

Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Shotglass75 wrote:I put this in another thread but I think it would be better suited for this one. Thoughts?

Thinking of getting these since I can get a good deal from my buddy but I want to make sure that these would protect me from the elements.

these look comfortable, and the specs good.... BUT... you won't be able to tighten your shoelaces without a whole lot of friction and squeaking. Your fingers will get raw trying to pull each little bit of slack between loops. The dust is awful on that type of lacing through fabric loops.
Elorrum

Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear