Need new playa shoes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

boots!

Postby AliBaba » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:27 am

I got knee high lace up black pleather platform boots at Hot Topic two years ago for 40- and this year got cross-training insoles for them, just before playa. Wore em 3 nights this year, the athletic insoles made them super comfy. Take a little while to lace up, but not too bad...I put the socks and boots on in my tent, just part way, then laced them tighter on the 'living room' (camping) couch. Very good for nighttime warmth, good traction and heel heights.
Hmm. It would seem this: http://www.hottopic.com/store/product.a ... 332&RN=129 is as close as they have to it right now, but mine have more heel definition...
Anyways, anything a touch large with cross training insoles of a reasonable height and conformance with your arch shape should be good. :D
Have fun finding your 'perfect' shoes!
AliBaba

ugg boots?

Postby AshleyAshley » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:50 am

i was given a pair of ugg boots not too long ago and i have stopped wearing them for the time being because i am newly a vegetarian and haven't decided my feelings on wearing animal goods but that is a whole other story... my question is would they be good for the playa? or will the dust matte to the leather? they are the most comfortable things i've ever had on my feet but i would ideally like to find something non-animal all together if anyone has suggestions for that. 2004 will be my first bm experience and i'm just planning extra early.

thanks,

ashley
AshleyAshley

Postby scarlet_minnow » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:17 pm

Uggs are the best thing you can wear on playa when the sun goes down! Give your tootsies a quick wipe-down, slather on the lotion, then put your bare foot into the comfy goodness that is Ugg. If you buy the color sand, as I did, the playa dust will match the boot exactly and you'll come home with them still looking brand new. SO comfy, I wore them every night.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess
scarlet_minnow

Postby robotland » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:01 am

Use GOOP adhesive to modify yer footwear- great stuff! (see my post under COSTUMES.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Boot..to...the...head!

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:44 am

My favorite Playa Footwear for both working and just cruising is a pair of army surplus "Jungle Combat" boots...you can get them at most surplus stores. They've got a steel shank so you can be safe while building a monstrous structure or art project, and durable canvas sides in addition to the leather uppers, so they breathe really well, and you won't overheat your feet, even during the hottest days. Plus, they look amazing with a Utilikilt! One important tip, though, is to put a small patch of denim over the little metal grommet-like vents on the sides..this keeps too much dust from getting in and causing you to make pearls between your toes. There are a similar pair of work boots made by Trooper, which I purchased at a Big 5 sporting goods store for about 10 bucks... they're a little more comfortable, but don't breathe quite as well.
Genius Out
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Badger » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:23 am

Merrell boots or their firmer soled shoes have worked QUITE wll for me in the past.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby RingO'Fire » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:36 pm

PetsUntilEaten wrote:my vote is SWEAR boots & shoes.
...also try the main swear website to see styles & colors & sales (there are 100's) :
http://www.swear-alternative.com/

Hell YES!. These are the most radical, funky-ass shoes I think I've ever seen. I just went to the web site and checked it out. I started checking out this one pair called the "Armadillos", with 2" platforms and all spiky around the edges, but didn't like the first color (colour?) combo. I checked out the second colour combo, and..."OHMYGOSH these are fucking awesome!" They were reduced too! From 120 pounds sterling ($222) to 50 pounds ($92.50)! Still not cheap, but less than half price.

Here's the best part too. They were "Out of Stock" of every single size, except mine! I took this as a sign from God, "Steve, these shoes are meant just for you!" Checked my bank account balance online, just to make sure I had heard God right and wasn't just suffering from "shopper's lust" - good to go! I just ordered them about 10 minutes ago!

When I see y'all on the playa, I'll be boogeyin' down in my spiky Swear Armadillos!
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby Sandwichman » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:53 pm

I really like these. My son was loving them too.

oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby RingO'Fire » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:54 pm

Actually, those were my favorites too, but I just couldn't justify the $203.50 (110 pounds sterling; $1.85 = 1 pound sterling @ yesterday's exchange rate). So, I settled for a pair I still know I'll love, but were a little more affordable.
RingO'Fire

Postby robotland » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:14 am

Years ago, long before I had even heard of Burning Man, I built a pair of boots just for grins that were based on steeltoed jump boots- I painted them white with gold trim, added a Red Ball logo to the sides, and created curly Turkish toes by building the toes up with plasticene and covering them with latex. The results looked like Combat Harem Sneakers.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby RingO'Fire » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:22 pm

Those sound awesome! I think I'd be up for a little Harem Combat if I were wearing some curly-toe combat boots.

Oh yeah, what's plasticene?
RingO'Fire

Swear Shoes on Ebay!

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:07 pm

Alert! Swear has lately been clearing out random styles and sizes on Ebay for even less than their website sale prices...they add different stuff every couple days (seller ID: swear_fashion). Super well built last forever footwear, luv the huge heavy stompy Street Mix and Mad Planet styles!
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby robotland » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:39 am

RingO'Fire wrote:Oh yeah, what's plasticene?

oil-based modeling clay that "never" dries out or hardens, heroically versatile.....often comes in boxes of four, differently-colored rectangular tubes. Neat stuff for making quick models to be reversed as plaster casts, since it peels right out of the plaster once cured. At Hallowe'en time I use it to make quick-and-sloppy latex appliances. Sculpt, layer with latex, remove dried latex and apply with spirit gum. It's also what Gumby was made of!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby RingO'Fire » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Yee haa! Just got my new Swear Armadillos delivered today! Order to delivery = 1 week (shipped from Portugal, no less!). They've got little spiky rubber pyramids all around the edges and a little two-inch long rubber rhinoceros horn thingy on top of the toes. Also, the little spiky pyramids are sewed into a strip of velcro, which velcros ("velcro" is a verb too, right?) all around the outside of the shoe. So...I can put another layer of velcro, with some cool bright colored dangling thingies sewn in, between the shoes and my velcro rows of spiky pyramids.

Ooooh! Maybe some little bells - like the kind that east Indian dancers wear on the bottoms of their costumes! Would that be too annoying though? Would you be annoyed if you were dancing and having to hear the sound of some dude's little shoe bells all jingle jingling while he did the boogie stomp next to you in the playa techno disco?.

On the down side, they're a little heavy, about two pounds each. Kinda feels like wearing some heavy duty hiking boots. I guess I was expecting the soles to be all light and fluffy and squishy, but they're made out of this sorta hard plastic stuff. They're just a tad big too. I've got about an extra half-inch or so from the ends of my toes to the inside toe of the shoe. I carefully checked several US to Your a' peein' shoe size conversion web sites to make sure I was getting the right size before I ordered. I wear a US 9&1/2, which is supposed to be equivalent to a European 43. Oh well, at least they're not too small. Oh, and not having had any platform shoes since the 1970's, I forgot that they don't really bend with your foot in the middle. Your foot bends inside the shoe while the shoe stays rigid. When walking and transfering your weight off of your rear foot (technically onto the ball of your rear foot) and your rear heel comes up, the shoe doesn't bend too because the sole is so thick and rigid. Instead, your heel slides up inside the shoe. I know this is a recipe for heel blisters, so I'm gonna make sure to break them in as best I can and bring plenty of moleskin with me.

On the up side, they're really well-made. Best of all, they're pretty comfy and they sure do look cool! When you see me on the playa, I'll be doin' the boogie-stomp in my big-ass Armadillos!
RingO'Fire

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:49 pm

jpg! jpg!
Alpha

Postby RingO'Fire » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:23 pm

This link is the best I can do. The Armadillos that I got are the blue and black ones, second from the top in the little shoe column in the center of the page. I just noticed that the blue ones are 84 pounds ($155), while the grey ones that I got were just 50 pounds ($92.50). Looks like they're sold out of the grey ones.

http://www.swear-alternative.com/default.asp?shoe=4345&color=5036

I had to show them off, fresh outta da box, at a local bar last night (The Pickle Barrel - I'm a "regular" there, kind of like Norm on "Cheers"). Gail the bartender and Marissa the server both went, "Oooo! Dude, you need to wear them in here as soon as possible!"

After showing off my new shoes at work too (can you tell I'm just a little excited about them?), one of the women that I work with is planning on getting two pair of Swear sandals that caught her eye and are on sale. When I showed her all the shoes on the Swear web site, it was like ringing the bell in front of Pavlov's dog. Her eyes got all glassy, her mouth fell open and a waterfall of drool starting drizzling down her chin while she muttered incoherently, "Shoooozzzzzzzzzzzzz...."
RingO'Fire

Postby clayboy » Fri May 07, 2004 12:37 pm

Me LOVE shoes.....the higher the better...!!!

Huggggz

clayboy
clayboy

Postby RingO'Fire » Fri May 07, 2004 2:45 pm

Dude,

My shoes bow in homage to your shoes.

How much do those things weigh?

I'm so pround, now I know how to post a picture of mine!
(except mine are gray, instead of blue - the gray ones were on sale for less than half price).

Thanks to DVD Burner for teaching me how to work the image-posting function here on the eplaya!

DVDB, I'll see you at the Flambe Lounge on May 23rd!
RingO'Fire

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri May 07, 2004 3:05 pm

RingO'Fire wrote:Dude,

My shoes bow in homage to your shoes.

How much do those things weigh?

I'm so pround, now I know how to post a picture of mine!
(except mine are gray, instead of blue - the gray ones were on sale for less than half price).

But how do you kick the cockroaches in the corners?
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DVD Burner » Fri May 07, 2004 3:07 pm

Hey,

Ring you got it. RTFO DOOD!

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby RingO'Fire » Fri May 07, 2004 3:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:But how do you kick the cockroaches in the corners?

That could present a bit of a problem. It sure would be nice if the little rhino horn thingie on top of the toes rotated so that you could point it forward, then I could kick some fuckin' vermin ass! As is, they're already pretty handy for stomping on some vermin ass!

RingO'Fire wrote:I'm so pround...

Except of my spelling.

Sorry, I know typos are rampant here on the eplaya; I'm really forgiving of every one else's, but I'm really anal about my ownspelling, punctuation, complete sentences, etc.
RingO'Fire

Postby clayboy » Fri May 07, 2004 11:09 pm

I have a few pairs of shoes that keep my feet safe but i prefer knee high boots to keep out all the dust.....

huggs

clayboy
clayboy

clayboy

Postby DVD Burner » Sat May 08, 2004 2:21 am

WOW clayboy!

I didn't know.

I'm impressed.

ImageSo many questions.

Might I suggest you say Hi to Olivia, (only If she doesn't mind)

Oh oh, A drift........

I miss Reba. She is who I learnd my first Eplaya graphic TIP. :cry:

She and her hubby have excellent taste in diverse music.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

sale

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:04 am

Just an alert on a massive SWEAR sale.

The best way to get great shoes cheap is patience & stealth - so I guess now is a good time to pick these up if they're what you're looking for!

<http://www.swear-alternative.com/default.asp?do=1&catg=53>

Also - there are insane deals under "deals of the week" in the upper right hand corner : I saw some "jetty's" (platform knee high fur boots) for 40 pounds - maybe thats $60 US + tax & shipping? They were originally over $300 US. BTW - I re-dyed my Jetty's to a darker orange/red.

If you order 3 pairs from the "deals of the week" you get free shipping - which is huga as well - so get your friends together.

(no I don't work for Swear - I just get their email alerts.)

cheers!
PetsUntilEaten

Postby devilgirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:02 am

I worked on my own footwear for a long time b/f deciding on my old ugg nockoff boots covered in fur to coordinate w/ my outfits. I tried gluing them with fabric glue, but ended up making some leg warmer-esque covers for em b/c they stayed on better. 3 pairs of covers made it seem like I had new shoes every night! Also bought some cheap but funky boots at a thrift store and spray painted them silver. I got a little ambitious and fabric painted a glowing/glitter-filled star on the boots, but it peeled off after a night on the esplanade. (I have the remnants of my stars in a ziplock) I also wore my birks during the day, but felt so sorry for them b/c i could see the cork begining to desicate & shrivel, and the uppers turned playa-white in about 30 seconds. The best thing to do is to find a comfy pair of shoes you don't mind destroying and then decorating them. Spray paint, fur & glitter - a magical combo! (If anyone wants the pattern for the "slip covers" let me know!)
devilgirl

Postby geekster » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:36 am

I want these for next year at night ... wonder what my size is in women's

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catal ... -Mary-Shoe

I tried to tiny-url the link but the shrunk URL wont work.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby SilkenTofu » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:06 am

geekster wrote:I want these for next year at night ... wonder what my size is in women's

men's shoe sizes usually run 2 sizes larger - so if you wore a size 11 shoe you would need a 13 in womens.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....
SilkenTofu

Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Postby mars » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:35 pm

I know many will think me crazy, and perhaps it is true, but my favorite footware has become Wool Socks!

Here's the routine:
Wash feet, put on foot lotion, put on regular socks (one or two pair). Then put on wool socks. Have 1 pair per day. Voila!

The reasons I like them are:

1. Super comfy. And I can really dance in them, my normal crazy free-fairy style dancing.

2. No playa foot.

3. And I feel more connection to the playa.

Only problems I have found so far:

1. Portopotties: I keep an easy slip-on pair of shoes in bike basket for portopottie visits

2. Bike pedals: They are a little harsh on the foot, not bad, but for next year I plan to soften the pedals up.

3. Playa pee spots: watch yer step after the man burns!

4. Be extra conscious of rebar--though I've managed to injure myself on re-bar when I was wearing full-on heavy duty shoes and have never hurt myself so far while wearing wool socks.

Even if you go out in shoes, it's nice to come home and put on the wool socks--giving feet a real chance to relax.

I know most people won't agree with this footwear, but some of you may find it's perfect for you.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Martiansky » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:53 am

Anyone know of any places that sell New Rock Boots in the US? Preferrably in Minnesota.
I want to try on a pair to see if they fit and are comfortable before I drop big moola on a pair.

Thanks!
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:23 am

Larry and I both got our playa boots from that mall-goth kid shop on the clearance racks. He wears a woman's 10, so we usually can find something for him. Last score was flame covered boots for under $20.

What we end up wearing daily: beat up old slip-on leather shoes or sandals with heavy socks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear