Need new playa shoes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby ScrogFather » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="geekster"]Ventilation is sort of a double-edged sword. Air lets in the dust. Your shoes can fill with dirt. I *always* wear socks on the playa, too, even to bed. Coat your feet in lotion, put on a pair of clean socks and go to bed.

But hey, it isn't like you are living on that playa all year, you are only out there for a week. If I really wanted to know what works best, I would look to see what shoes the people who are on the playa the longest are wearing. Have a look to see what DPW has on their feet.[/quote]

Good point, foot care is extremely important. I also lather up my feet with lotion at night or the next morning/when I wake up. Playa foot is a bitch! I will be bring multiple pairs of shoes, from boots to my sidewalk surfers.
What makes you think we can fuck just because you put your tongue in my mouth and you twisted my titties Baby? "Live for the DASH!"
ScrogFather

Postby Theres Always One » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I think the hardest part of being a virgin is all the unknowns. I want to wear my boots but people tell me it won't be comfortable. But I think my sneakers will give me playa foot!
Theres Always One

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Theres Always One wrote:I think the hardest part of being a virgin is all the unknowns. I want to wear my boots but people tell me it won't be comfortable. But I think my sneakers will give me playa foot!

Are your boots comfortable when you wear them for 8-10 hours walking around at home? Then they'll be fine on the playa. If they hurt after a 3 block walk, they won't be.

I wear boots, Converse, dress shoes.. whatever I want, as long as they're comfortable. Also realize that the shoes you wear may get "wrecked"- the dust doesn't come out easily, so don't wear a pair that you are worried about ruining.

Playa foot happens, but it not like "oh my god, I forgot to wash & lotion my feet and now they're black & bleeding!". It depends on your skin- the playa doesn't bug me that much (I only wipe my feet down with a washcloth, never use vinegar or lotion, etc), some people get playa foot the second the dust hits their feet.

Bring a couple of pairs of shoes that are comfortable, you'll be fine.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Supergroover » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:37 am

virgin whispers softly: so nobody is wearing flipflops? Is that really impossible?
"To fall in hell or soar angelic, you'll need a pinch of psychedelic."
Supergroover

Postby Jackass » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 am

You can do flip flops but you'll probably have to care for your feet on the regular, depending how tender they are...unless you really like cracks, blood, and pain.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:47 am

Jackass wrote:You can do flip flops but you'll probably have to care for your feet on the regular, depending how tender they are...unless you really like cracks, blood, and pain.

Come on Jackass, you know as well as I do that greeters reform your feet so that the first and second toe are fused together, making it impossible to wear flip flops.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 am

Supergroover wrote:virgin whispers softly: so nobody is wearing flipflops? Is that really impossible?

Impossible? No. I have a friend who goes even barefoot out there, but he also walks through the streets of SF barefoot (ick). His feet are used to more abuse and hold up fine.

Recommended- for most people, probably not. The playa dust is not like the dirt you're going to find in your average encounter- it's highly alkaline and it can cause severe pain to a lot of people if they don't keep their feet clean & moisturized (and for some people their hands as well). Its also more like talcum powder, so it will get everywhere.

I have a fairly high tolerance for the dust & don't do anything more than wiping my feet with water when I change my socks, but you couldn't pay me to wear flip-flops. I'd rather not risk it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Boijoy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

Plus filp flops don't hold up to rebar very well. Or stubbing your toe while riding your bike. Or when someone in proper shoes bounces off your feet while dancing. or when you jump off that art car & don't have good footing and you fall & break your hip.

just get some good shoes noob !! :roll:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:39 am

The problem is getting that dust into areas that chafe. The alkaline dust in between the toes where the the thong of the flip flop rubs might make for trouble or it might not, everyone is different in how they react to the stuff out there.

Go ahead and try it but be ready to revert to some kind of shoes at the first sign of trouble. Don't let it get bad else it can get real bad.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Boijoy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am

NOT to mention.. Plagina. :: shivver ::: :shock:

edited for spelling. not the plagina word either.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby LostinReno » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Boijoy wrote:NOT to mention.. Plagina. :: shivver ::: :shock:

:lol: :lol: We saw a couple on the final Sunday last year going at it on the playa, that was all I could think of ::shudders some more, ick!::

Last year I wore a combo of hiking boots and slip on Vans all week and my feet were fine! I just scored a pair of these at the Vans outlet for $20, I thought they were appropriate! :D Image
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

*gasp* Mr. Natural shoes? MR. NATURAL SHOES!? OMGOMFG As a teenager, I got into my brother's undergrounds, originals mind you, not reprints, that's how long ago it was ... and I adored Mr. Natural!!!! He helped mold my promiscuous years. Him, and Cheech Wizard and Cherry Poptart and The Leather Nun. I rarely think of him specifically these days, but he's always in the back of my brain and my heart.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Cat's back.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby ju1ce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:17 am

I just bought two pairs of $12 wal-mart sneakers. Will be spray-painting them to make them playa-licious.

Between that, my boots, and my flip flops I think I'm covered.
ju1ce

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:28 am

ju1ce wrote:I just bought two pairs of $12 wal-mart sneakers. Will be spray-painting them to make them playa-licious.

Between that, my boots, and my flip flops I think I'm covered.

Malwart sneakers actually aren't all that bad.. I use a pair of the Starter running shoes for wakeskating on the boat that I scored for $13. I wouldn't do any long distance serious jogging/running in them, but for the price they are very decently built shoes..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby winebuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 am

I have bad feet, flat footed and the most comfortable shoes I can wear are Keens. I know they are not boots are dont look cool but any ideas on how to make them "more bm friendly"?
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Jackass » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 am

Cut the soles off of fuzzy bunny slippers and place over said footwear, maybe? :?

Jackass

Postby winebuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am

Jackass wrote:Cut the soles off of fuzzy bunny slippers and place over said footwear, maybe? :?

omg, that is a great idea! I love it... thx :lol: . Keep em coming..
winebuff

Postby sambojones » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 am

Jackass wrote:Cut the soles off of fuzzy bunny slippers and place over said footwear, maybe? :?

awesome idea I'm not very good with complicated artsy stuff but this is something that i can do to spruce up my costume shiznat thx for that idea 8)
sambojones

Postby Jackass » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:06 am

You could do that with any other footwear that you find appropriate as well even stuffed animals. With fuzzy or cloth items you may have to use fray check, krazy glue or something along those lines to stop them from coming apart and or mooping after cutting, depending wear the cut is made. I'd cut up used or yard sale shoes for experimentation and or affordability, if that's your thing. :D

Jackass

Postby winebuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 am

I really like that idea. Now to find something I can slip over them. That is a huge help.
winebuff

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:19 am

winebuff wrote:I really like that idea. Now to find something I can slip over them. That is a huge help.

Ebay is your friend..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ladies-size-L-PLUSH ... 2eadaffadc

http://cgi.ebay.com/SESAME-STREET-BIG-B ... 439d3ab3f1

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-FEET-PAW-CLAW ... 518c376324
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby winebuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:41 am

perfect jungle :) I may look at thrift stores too so I can start pimping sooner....
winebuff

crocs...haha

Postby stack » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 pm

Crocs: I was totally against them until I found a leopard skin pair at the thrift store for a dollar. Turns out they are really comfy and great for around camp. For my my out and about shoes I have some old running shoes I dressed up by hot glueing some fun metallic material to.
stack

Re: crocs...haha

Postby hollywallydoodle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:14 pm

stack wrote:Crocs: I was totally against them until I found a leopard skin pair at the thrift store for a dollar. Turns out they are really comfy and great for around camp. For my my out and about shoes I have some old running shoes I dressed up by hot glueing some fun metallic material to.

crocs worked well for me. for boots, i prefer rain boots—they are nice and light.

hollywallydoodle

Postby Miles » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 am

anyone worn clarks desert boots to BM before? I have a pair thats nicely broken in but wondering...will the playa dust ever come out of them?

http://www.shoebuy.com/clarks-desert-bo ... one-_-none
Miles

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 am

Playa dust never really gets out of anything. If you can't bear to use the clarks, start breaking a new pair today. Oh, two new pair, you want to be able to switch over the course of the week.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ZeeKitten » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 pm

LostinReno wrote:
Boijoy wrote:NOT to mention.. Plagina. :: shivver ::: :shock:

:lol: :lol: We saw a couple on the final Sunday last year going at it on the playa, that was all I could think of ::shudders some more, ick!::

Last year I wore a combo of hiking boots and slip on Vans all week and my feet were fine! I just scored a pair of these at the Vans outlet for $20, I thought they were appropriate! :D Image

I ordered these from ShoeBacca for $29.99 after seeing them here and just received them today!!! They are off the chain and will be a great addition to my Playa footwear wardrobe (tall rainboots, Dr. Marten's, Converse, Crocs). :D

Here's the link for any fellow Crumb shoe enthusiasts: http://www.shoebacca.com/vans/sk-8-hi-deconstruct-vn-0io70l2.html

P.S. - I'm wondering if Scotchgarding them would help cut down on the Playa dustation and ease post B.M. cleanup . . . :wink:
<i> ". . . but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio" - Lafcadio Hearn</i>
ZeeKitten

Postby trystanthegypsy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Scotchguarding will work but they will be less breathable... and more carcinogenic mwahahahahahaha

I mean i'm not crazy.

Try nikwax or other "suede" shoe protectors, they will help a little and be more breathable.
trystanthegypsy

Postby kman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:23 pm

geekster wrote:I also take a pair of these:

Well, not exactly those, more like these:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... =1&CatID=6

The Altama's are nice, but Blackhawk's are lighter. Damn near as lightweight at a pair of tennies, but much sturdier.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Warrio ... 062,20.htm

kman

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear