Politically Correct Playa Clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Politically Correct Playa Clothes

Postby TheFastCat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

In an effort to avoid adding MOOP to the playa I had intended to get one of these no-feather headdresses made to bring to the playa :
http://www.paradise-gypsies.com/products/awesome-new-non-feather-feather-headdress

I'm sure many here will feel "oh those are so terribly 2007" but I think they look cool!

Then I was linked to this blog post from a MOOP thread in this forum -- decrying the wearing of such headdresses as racist and ignorant:
http://nativeappropriations.com/2010/04/but-why-cant-i-wear-a-hipster-headdress.html

ouch.

So I have a few questions:

1. Do other people actually care what other people wear at burning man?
2. How does radical expression coexist with "don't wear something that someone dislikes"?
3. How do kilts compare to headdresses? I do have Scottish ancestry and will wear my clan's tartan -- Gunn but at the end of the day I am an American. Would it not be acceptable to wear a kilt if I was English? Or black?

I accept being judged as an ignorant frat boy hipster by those who radar via prejudice; it facilitates both of our aims to avoid each other. I'm used to being judged in all my social circles already - I have long hair, painted toe nails and am barefoot when afforded the chance -- I love to wear metal band shirts. Maybe not so weird at burning man but in the office environments I have worked as a programmer for the past 10 years it's sort of atypical... so no big deal if someone hates me for my desert festival garb.

I'm just trying to reconcile political correctness at this place I frankly was expecting a vacation from it!

insights/tips/judgement appreciated
TheFastCat

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Politically Correct Playa Clothes

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:08 pm

TheFastCat wrote:
1. Do other people actually care what other people wear at burning man? If they do, fuck em.
2. How does radical expression coexist with "don't wear something that someone dislikes"? If they do, fuck em.
3. How do kilts compare to headdresses? I do have Scottish ancestry and will wear my clan's tartan -- Gunn but at the end of the day I am an American. Would it not be acceptable to wear a kilt if I was English? Or black? If people don't like it, fuck em.

Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Kilts are ubiquitous on playa, at least among non-sparklepony men.
The other. There are many differences of opinion.
The thing is, the highland clearances were long ago, and the indian genocide is still pretty fresh. And who knows what highlanders thought of the first sachsenachs lords to wear kilts. Wear whatever you want. People may think you're cool or clueless; rude or rebelious.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Token » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:14 pm

'Tis truly "Fuck Em" in the post Taco Boy era.

Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:17 pm

In reality, sadly, a lot of people at Burning Man don't really care about the moop factor of a custom, so they ain't going to be picking it apart politically. I think someone would be more likely to find complaint wearing a politically aware message one way or another, rather than a politically unaware fashion choice. Let your conscience be your guide. Hell, you should see the people draped in furs.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Elderberry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:21 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as political correctness on the playa.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm

TheFastCat wrote:1. Do other people actually care what other people wear at burning man?

There will be people who do, the majority won't. It's rare for even the ones who don't like something to speak up (my "Hate is the new love" shirt is pretty good at getting hippies flustered though)

2. How does radical expression coexist with "don't wear something that someone dislikes"?

You wear it. They can radically look away.

insights/tips/judgement appreciated

Wear what you want. Don't worry about it. The chances of anyone saying anything are slim - just don't wear anything MOOPy.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Fat old men probably shouldnt wear trenchcoats (and nothing else) while lurking around Kidsville with a sign that says "free candy". Anywhere else it would get a laugh though. :mrgreen:

Hmmm...might have to try that actually on the 21-yr and up crowd!
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bless » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Radical inclusion.
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to the clothing and playawear board, since that's a better fit for discussions about playa clothes.

I'm with Doc and Eric. So long as what you want to wear doesn't generate a lot of MOOP, wear what you like.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ratty » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm

I vehemently object to the PRICE. You have got to be out of of your ever-loving mind to spend that much money on an accessory. If you spent $200 on tequila and beer everyone would think your cargo shorts and Home Depot shirt were the best costume on the playa.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby The_Sheik » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Yes, the headgear has feathers, but does it count if the bird is alive?
KE5QOT
The_Sheik

Camp Name: ESD sub-Camp 3 "The 'Burbs"

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm

I would agree that there are few rules and being a jerk is encouraged at BM - for instance megaphones.

But if you want to be seen as a forward thinking individual, I would skip the headdress. The fight against native appropriation has been going on for some time. It is heating up. It will be in your town and it will be in your social network.

Whatever momentary hipster cred you would get from wearing it would likely be outweighed by the drawbacks of a picture of yourself in it floating around the internet for all eternity.

And if I was a native person I would be confronting the sh*t in person with people over it. I hope that starts happening consistently at festivals.

http://eonm.org/ has been very active and they are organzed across the US
http://nativeappropriations.com/ the blog you mentioned is still active

increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:19 pm

Ratty wrote:I vehemently object to the PRICE.

Holy fuck - I didn't even look at that. That's fucking nuts - there's a thread on here somewhere that basically tells you how to make those leather "feathers", save the cash, make it yourself (that is Radical Self Expression), flaunt the hell out of it. If you don't have time, spend that ridiculous amount of money on camp supplies (like the previously mentioned booze) and make yourself one for next year. All that premade stuff looks like it came from "Burners R Us" anyway...

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Jovankat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm

As one of the vocally "racial appropriation is bad" peeps I'd still say wear whatever you want. I'm super happy to see that you're even just giving some thought to this, as far as I'm concerned that's progress. So many people who wear stuff cause it's cool have no idea of the underlying messages being sent by their fashion choices so I think it's awesome that you're taking the time to dig a little deeper.

I think self expression is really important I guess my question is why do you want to wear a headdress like that in the first place? Because it's really fashionable right now? Because if that's the reason I think that's kinda silly, wear something you want to wear for YOU not for fashion.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Hope-a-Lope » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Eric wrote: All that premade stuff looks like it came from "Burners R Us" anyway...

Yes yes yes. Maybe it's just my neck of the woods, but I'm completely over the burner uniforms I see everywhere. Feathered mohawks, platform boots, pre-lit tutus, heart-shaped sunglasses, those leather utility belts with pockets too small to fit anything useful.... It's fascinating how some burners relish looking unique in defaultia, but end up looking like clones on the playa.

Wear whatever you want, but Burning Man is (IMHO) the best place in the world to let your imagination and talent really run wild. Even if you make just one awesome signature piece for this year and live in your kilt and boots all week, it's *so* much more gratifying to make something one-of-a-kind and be somewhat unique.
Hope-a-Lope

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Pharos

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:25 pm

And it's under 20 bucks
index.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby jneilvindy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Ratty wrote:I vehemently object to the PRICE. You have got to be out of of your ever-loving mind to spend that much money on an accessory. If you spent $200 on tequila and beer everyone would think your cargo shorts and Home Depot shirt were the best costume on the playa.

Thank all God's great and small!!

Except I prefer lowe's over home depot. Orange is sooo not my color.
jneilvindy

Postby Sunbeam56 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Im a birgen, but anyone worrying about my political correctness can kiss my entire, lily white, ass...
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Joeln » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Sunbeam56 wrote:Im a birgen, but anyone worrying about my political correctness can kiss my entire, lily white, ass...

Just curious Sunbeam, how long would it take to do that thoroughly?
(Not that I'm necessarily volunteering or anything)
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:And who knows what highlanders thought of the first sachsenachs lords to wear kilts.

Wait, I forgot that that was only invented in the 19th century. What's the offensiveness of that?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby tatonka » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:And it's under 20 bucks
index.jpg

cool shirt ")
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby skippy3k » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 am

some seeing eye wrote:I would agree that there are few rules and being a jerk is encouraged at BM - for instance megaphones.

I had a guy yell out to me to take my shirt off. So I did. Then he said "oh....nevermind. Put it back on."

It was rude, offensive, and made me question my self image. And it was fucking hilarious.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:And who knows what highlanders thought of the first sachsenachs lords to wear kilts.

Wait, I forgot that that was only invented in the 19th century. What's the offensiveness of that?

Kilts (especially "great kilts") go back to at least the 16th century - it's the "clan tartans" that come from the 19th century. Guess that makes those all-black & khaki miniskirts utilikilts fine

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Fidget » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:57 am

Well, definitely wear what you like but you've already identified that there is basically an entire culture that is upset about the appropriation. So, knowing that.. why bother?

And don't not wear it because you're concerned about some busy-body coming up to you and calling you out on it - don't wear the head dress because you know it's a generally shitty thing to do.

As to the comment in that article about it being racist? That's garbage.. it's insensitive and offensive at worst but most definitely not racist.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:09 pm

TheFastCat wrote:Do other people actually care what other people wear at burning man?

Some do, some don't. You might not hear a peep from anyone all week, or one or more people might take great offense and call you out.

A guy dressed like a Nazi messed with me at Greeters a few years back; I thought he was an irredeemable, creepy asshole. Oh well, right?

Be ready for someone to tell you they think it's bullshit, and don't cry in surprise if they do. :wink: Be ready also for no one to give a damn, 'cause it might go down that way--we don't know. Self-expression is for both you and people who see you.

Be aware of what you're doing, and then make your decision.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Jovankat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Fidget wrote:As to the comment in that article about it being racist? That's garbage.. it's insensitive and offensive at worst but most definitely not racist.

As I understand it the thinking is if you're completely ok with being insensitive and offensive towards a particular race of people, especially when your race has a long history of oppressing and murdering that race of people, then there's probably an element of you thinking that race is somehow lessor than you and your race and yeah that's racist.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Fidget » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Jovankat wrote:
Fidget wrote:As to the comment in that article about it being racist? That's garbage.. it's insensitive and offensive at worst but most definitely not racist.

As I understand it the thinking is if you're completely ok with being insensitive and offensive towards a particular race of people, especially when your race has a long history of oppressing and murdering that race of people, then there's probably an element of you thinking that race is somehow lessor than you and your race and yeah that's racist.

I can see that, but it's a pretty big conclusion to jump to - even if you had a "Jump to conclusions mat". Some people are just assholes and don't particularly care what others think but that doesn't mean they are inherently being superior.
I'm not disagreeing I just think that racism is a serious thing and people toss the word around way too easily these days.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Postby Jovankat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:13 pm

There are absolutely people who think that they are more important than anyone else regardless of race and it's not a person's race that makes them less valuable just that they aren't that person. If however you scale out and see a trend in that the people who tend to think that way are privileged in a number of ways, including race then what you're quite probably looking at is structural racism. I think lots of people think that racism is only something an individual does deliberately and that is simply not true.
Jovankat

Postby Bless » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Savannah wrote:A guy dressed like a Nazi messed with me at Greeters a few years back; I thought he was an irredeemable creepy asshole. Oh well, right?

What's more offensive/racist/insensitive: wearing Nazi regalia or wearing a Native American warbonnet?
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear