How to attach a battery pack to clothes without a pocket?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

How to attach a battery pack to clothes without a pocket?

Postby Riv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm

I've made what's essentially a light-up scarf/necklace that I'd like to be able to wear and/or hand to an under-illuminated friend. So far so good, but I'd like a way to clip it securely to clothing (not involving safety pins). I can try to rig something up with duct tape and binder clips as well as the next burner, but I thought I'd check if anyone had a solution they thought was particularly elegant. Any success stories?
Riv

Burning Since: 2013

Re: How to attach a battery pack to clothes without a pocket

Postby graidawg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 pm

a small pouch for the battery pack to be worn as a necklace?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby maladroit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 pm

In the past, I have taken a 4xAA battery pack and hot glued a strip of velcro tie to it (the kind with hook on one side, fuzzy on the other). This can be securely strapped to a belt or any other clothing item or suitable appendage. It's a good idea to put the battery pack on the inside of the strap when attaching it, helps it to not wobble around as much, and hot glue doesn't last forever.

This depends a lot on the size of the battery pack, too. I've found those little rechargeable USB battery packs to be tiny, light, and plenty of power for personal lighting applications.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am

If you're able to sew, make or find a cloth pouch and sew that to the inside of the clothes.

If not, find a cloth pouch and attach it via a couple high quality safety pins. Avoid using a plastic bag, no matter how secure it seems after walking/dancing around in it all night it'll tear or otherwise fail you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ohCarie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

I'll be watching this thread for ideas as well, as I have been sewing a pocket or in the case of scarves, putting a sock around it and then rubber banding it to the end, then I have to add a beanie baby to the other end as a counter balance. I found some LED strings that have tiny button battery pack that seems better suited for clothing http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERNIGHT-Button-Batteries-Powered-LED-Light-Strings-2M-20LEDs-Mini-LED-String-/251394824086?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item3a884c9796.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:44 pm

ohCarie wrote:I'll be watching this thread for ideas as well, as I have been sewing a pocket or in the case of scarves, putting a sock around it and then rubber banding it to the end, then I have to add a beanie baby to the other end as a counter balance. I found some LED strings that have tiny button battery pack that seems better suited for clothing http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERNIGHT-Button-Batteries-Powered-LED-Light-Strings-2M-20LEDs-Mini-LED-String-/251394824086?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&hash=item3a884c9796.

That type does work great. Here they are on my new coat for this year (my mom is modeling) https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=68122&start=90#p1014221

For that coat, the battery packs have a think you can hook into, so I got a small clasp, like for a key ring and sewed it into the inside of the coat.

That said, it sound like the main concern here is not only attaching it, but having a way to let other people wear it. And without damaging the clothing

What about bringing a marble and doing the old tarp trick Image

Basically have the battery pack on a piece of paracord and then tie around the marble. It might screw up the lines of the clothing, but shouldn't damage it unless the batter pack is super heavy.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Riv » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm

That's genius, I love it! I can probably use something elastic--maybe base it on a bungee cord. Thanks for the idea :D
Riv

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Maizie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:52 pm

I love the marble/tarp trick!

I have a vest that has a battery pack attached on it, and I just made a small elastic harness for the battery pack to sit in. It's convenient because it doesn't distort the clothing, it keeps the battery pack up by my neck where I can easily get to it, and when I take the battery pack off, the harness squishes flat, so you can't tell it's there.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Burning Since: 2011

Postby demeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:39 am

Another option is to have a belt to clip it onto. I don't know exactly what your scarf's set-up is, but if it's long enough, I've used belts in the past.
demeter

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Return to Clothing & Playawear