Shoelaces

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Shoelaces

Postby thechainrule » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:07 am

Hello everybody!

This year is my first burn, unsurprisingly I'm struggling with some of the simplest, most remedial stuff: shoelaces. I've heard that it is ideal to find footwear with a zipper release as shoelaces can cake up playa dust and even begin to cut you after a few days. The person that told me this is a good friend and not a burgin so I am inclined to believe him, but at the same time my engineer brain says "they are fucking shoelaces!" Anyway, I cant get the image of slicing my finger open tying my shoe out of my head and I already have a set of boots that i want to bring to the playa that will do the job. I was thinking I could just swap the laces out for one of the quick lace type solutions but I have some doubts on them not getting caked up like traditional laces. Does any have any experience with the following products or have a tip on how to not cut yourself on a piece of string. Christ.

tac laces

[media]

speed laces
thechainrule

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pedal Pies

Re: Shoelaces

Postby unjonharley » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:33 am

horse pucky,, I wear plain old lace up shoes.. Never had a problem.. You might have to clean the laces if you get them wet.. Like take a shower with you boots on.. Or think its a good idea to run after the water truck and go for a slide in the mud.. Come to think of it.. Would be nice to have a spare everything..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:39 am

unjonharley wrote:horse pucky,, I wear plain old lace up shoes.. Never had a problem..

Sure, you never have a problem because I always have to tie them for you.
Next year I'm getting you Velcro!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby TT120 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:42 am

Zippers get ruined pretty quickly out there. (This includes tent zippers) Stick with the laces and you'll be fine. Bring both if you want, see which works better for you.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:29 am

If you bring zippers bring a bar of soap to make them glide easier.

Capt. GD & UJ. I love your banter...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 am

lucky420 wrote:Capt. GD & UJ. I love your banter...

Good. Can we just stipulate that at this point I said something very witty indeed on the subject?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:24 am

Wash and moisturize your hands after tying your boots.

Overexposure to the dust will dry out your hands and if they crack, the crack will dry and split and grow and become a painful mess.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby thechainrule » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26 am

Ah thanks so much!
thechainrule

Postby Savannah » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:38 am

FIGJAM wrote:Wash and moisturize your hands after tying your boots.

Overexposure to the dust will dry out your hands and if they crack, the crack will dry and split and grow and become a painful mess.

This, and open eyelets (where possible) are my favorite way to go. Or skip laces altogether--my favorite playa boots are a riding boot/cowboy boot hybrid that pull-on & off without lacing.

You're not going to suddenly slice yourself open with shoelaces so much as abrade yourself steadily over the course of days (until perhaps you bleed). This can also happen if you wear a backpack with rough straps over bare skin, after a few days.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Yeah Savannah, I'm starting to think those are my favorite playa boots also......
Moisturize with olive oil, hands, feet and salad. Even the top of the boots start to rub my calves wrong near the later half of the week. I bring knee-high socks. Zippers do not fare well in the dust. By Thursday I often adopt a more open floor plan with my tent, open and flowing to the playa, as the door zipper is broke by then. Slip-ons are the way to go. I bring cowboy boots, big hiking boots with laces, and fuzzy bedroom slippers. My buddy often wears sandals, though I do not recommend that at all. Whatcha need is shoelaces abrasive enough to cut through toe jamming rebar.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby graidawg » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:36 pm

go naked. with no clothes no material to abrade your skin. simple.

personally i go with the boots that just pull on option and wear flip-flops around camp. but then my feet look like a a lizards for about 3 months post burn.

i have it on good authority that laces can really hurt your hands at the end of the week. my favorite theory is that dipping inot the cooler to get beer somehow causes your hands to become weak and feeble meaning that they chafe and stuff. the solution is to drink warm beer like us brits.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby gustavh » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:30 pm

thechainrule,

I switched my boot laces to the speed laces you posted and I loved them! My hands were never cut by regular laces but they get chapped pretty quickly and it can be quite painful after a few days. I like those bungee laces because you can just switch them back to regular laces when you get home.
gustavh

Postby skippy3k » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 am

God I love this place. Where else can you weigh in passionately on the merits of shoelaces versus zippers.

I think it's really based on personal preference with no "correct" answer. One thing to consider is laces DO allow for some adjusting of tightness. I don't know about you all, but my feet seem to get bigger out there and my shoes smaller. I brought a pair of Blundstone Blunnie's last time, which are essentially slip on boots with a little elastic in the ankles. Easy to put on and off, and look damn sexy on me, which is my highest priority on any decision I make in life. But after a few days, I had to remove the insole just to fit my foot in there. And even then, it was a struggle. I'm still bringing them this year for the ladies, but also we be bringing my other boots with shoelaces for those micro-adjustments that will be needed as I become more and more bloated as the week goes on.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:58 am

Great point. All the standing and walking and biking and the differences in fluids, and your feet can swell up a bit. Having options (no fewer than 3) remains one of the best things you can do.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby misfit » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 am

those with sticky zippers, try condensed air. those with torn skin on fingers from laces, try gloves...........
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 am

I usually wear sneakers, with socks. Clean socks every day. I have regular laces but I never untie them. I just slip them on and off.
I do that with ALL my shoes and boots, on and off the playa.
I buy them, tie them once, and I'm done. I never have had any shoe issues at burning man.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby gustavh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:58 am

gustavh wrote:thechainrule,

I switched my boot laces to the speed laces you posted and I loved them! My hands were never cut by regular laces but they get chapped pretty quickly and it can be quite painful after a few days. I like those bungee laces because you can just switch them back to regular laces when you get home.

I forgot to mention, for my mid-calf boots, I used 2 sets of those bungee laces because one set is not long enough.
gustavh

Postby thechainrule » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:26 pm

cool thanks!
thechainrule

Postby FossaFerox » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:41 pm

The biggest thing with laces is to avoid shoes with cloth loops rather than eyelets. Those cake in dust and become hard to tighten at which point you have to yank hard on dry dusty laces which can cause cuticles to split.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby delle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 am

Like the good Captain, I prefer just tying once and being done with it. Because of that, my favorite (totally non-sexy but oh so comfy) footwear is skater shoes... tied, not tightly but not too loosely, just once and then just slipped on.

For my hiking boots, I have a great trick -- taught to me by a kid several years ago. I couldn't find the hack anywhere on the net so I made a quick vid to demonstrate.

It works great for any low boot with open hooks at top:

[media]
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby chuckularone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:50 am

delle wrote:It works great for any low boot with open hooks at top:

That's what those lugs are for, isn't it?
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby delle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 am

Presuming you mean "Duh! That's the way it's sposed to be" -- I'd have to agree. Now that I'm in the know.

However, I didn't learn about this until I was way past my prime, and have an almost 100% "You're KIDDING me! That's so easy!!" response rate on those I've shown it to.

So I'm just running with the assumption that most of us were taught it wrong.
delle

Postby chuckularone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 am

delle wrote:Presuming you mean "Duh! That's the way it's sposed to be" -- I'd have to agree. Now that I'm in the know.

However, I didn't learn about this until I was way past my prime, and have an almost 100% "You're KIDDING me! That's so easy!!" response rate on those I've shown it to.

So I'm just running with the assumption that most of us were taught it wrong.

Fair enough! I've always done it that way (well since I was issued my first pair of combat boots at least) and never thought anything of it.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby delle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am

I didn't know what you meant by "Lugs".

My first startled reaction was that you'd somehow discovered my room of pretty (but dumb) boys in the basement.

I suppose I could see if one might not be trainable in the shoe-tying department.....

Anyhow, now that I have apparently figured it all out, please disregard my panicked PM.
delle

Postby Blompson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Picked up a few pairs of these for stupid-cheap on sale at a mall shoe store.
I wonder how they'll do on playa.

*ahem* ..the light-up laces, not the shoes.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.
Blompson

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I used a set of them for light last year, not actually as shoelaces though, and I really liked them.
'STRAYA DAY: Australian Themed BBQ Party: Tues 2pm to 6pm at The Flamingo Trap
Also the official on playa meet up for Aussies and those that love them.
Jovankat

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Flamingo Trap

Postby maladroit » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I used combat boots with side zippers (well-oiled) and they were perfect. However, tying laces isn't that annoying. But it's just annoying enough that you might put off doing anything about your feet until it's too late.

My first year I wore hiking boots and developed unbelievable blisters that made walking agony. It had never been a problem before, but somehow the mix of heat, caustic dust, jumping around on things, etc...really takes a toll.

I switched to the side zipper combat boots and did a daily routine. Wash feet thoroughly, rub in coconut lotion, sprinkle with foot powder, pull on a polyester liner sock, rub on a little more foot powder, pull on a good thick sock, sprinkle some foot powder in the boots, jam my feet in there and zip it up. It only took about 5 minutes and my feet were comfortable and pain-free for 10 days on the playa.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby AfricanFire » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 am

I love wearing those cheap knock-off Uggs on playa. Warm, as comfortable as slippers, and easy on and off. After a few days with tons of walking/riding and messing with zippers or shoelaces there is nothing better than super comfy slip on shoes.
AfricanFire

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Postby Sham » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 am

Laces always worked for me. A few years back, I forgot ALL my footwear. I packed nothing to wear on my feet. I only had my travel sneakers to wear. The best part of that was removing my shoes at the airport to get through security on my way home. I know the TSA was talking about me after I left! :shock:
Sham

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:28 am

Didn't you also forget to pack pants one year too or was that jk?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear