Carrying Identification

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Carrying Identification

Postby unjonharley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 pm

jneilvindy wrote:
unjonharley wrote:BLM Rangers work the same as any other cop at Burning man.. Some one is watching to much TV..Also on the playa you could find FBI or any one of the federal alphabet soup...

Which brings us back to the question...no you are not required to carry ID or to show it to law enforcement on demand as long as you are not operating a licensed motor vehicle!

If a cop ask you to ID yourself.. You had better do just that..That cop has the right to detain you until "he" can ID you.. You could find your ass sitting in jail until your fingerprints come from DC..

Now stop playing the jail house lawyer..

And, Folks. Don't fuck with the police..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby skippy3k » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 am

jneilvindy wrote:I didn't go google to verify it but I'd bet a whole dollar that Nevada has granted them LEO powers. I'd also doubt they ever really exercise that power. I'm sure it's why they make such a big deal of having local LEO's with them as they patrol BM.

I mean this with as much respect as possible (peace and love, peace and love)....but you've been "Burning Since 2014". Although many of us may appreciate your zealousness for the event, you may want to dial back the advice a bit until you've experienced it.

Anyway, when I go to BRC, I assume everyone I meet is working undercover. It's a lot more exciting that way. :wink:
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby jneilvindy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:23 am

unjonharley wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:
unjonharley wrote:BLM Rangers work the same as any other cop at Burning man.. Some one is watching to much TV..Also on the playa you could find FBI or any one of the federal alphabet soup...

Which brings us back to the question...no you are not required to carry ID or to show it to law enforcement on demand as long as you are not operating a licensed motor vehicle!

If a cop ask you to ID yourself.. You had better do just that..That cop has the right to detain you until "he" can ID you.. You could find your ass sitting in jail until your fingerprints come from DC..

Now stop playing the jail house lawyer..

And, Folks. Don't fuck with the police..

I'll just keep coming back to the OP question. NO you are not legally required to carry ID when out walking around in the state of Nevada. No you cannot be arrested and charged for failure to provide hard ID to any police officer in the state of Nevada.

Can you be denied services? Yes. Do you make it harder to identify yourself if you're injured or incapacitated? Yes. Can a police officer decide your failure to provide hard ID is an affront to his authority and make your next few hours miserable. Yes.

Is carrying an ID at all times probably a wise decision in todays society? Yes.

Is it a legal requirement that is punishable by law if you're not carrying ID in the state of Nevada? No.

While "PAPERS PLEASE!" is offensive to some people it should be offensive to everyone in my opinion. That is not a society I wish to see come back into existance and I'll certainly do what I can to prevent it. PAPERS PLEASE has been hashed out at the state and federal level for decades. The insidiousness ways in which it keeps getting resurrected and can't be entirely stamped out generation after generation is depressing :(
jneilvindy

Burning Since: 2014

Postby unjonharley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Burning Man Is not Woodstock Or some kind of protest rally..

You don't get in a police mans face at BM..

You should go to BM once and you might know what your talking about..

Your know it all might be why your tickets are being held back..
unjonharley

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:32 am

Maizie wrote:
PurpleKoosh wrote:
Monkeystyle wrote:Some camps will not accept photo copied cards, as they are not legal id. Our camp doesn't for that same reason. Last week i went to the department of transportation and got an address change. Got my new photo id yesterday. So now the old one gets hole punched and put on a string around my neck on playa. Easy solution and cost me $10. If you havent moved lately just tell them you lost your old one.

Expired licenses don't count as legal ID, either, in many states. Doesn't mean I don't still wear it on my lanyard with all my other swag. (The legal one stays locked in the truck.)

This was my plan as well - we've both got expired photo licenses, and the legal ones can stay in the vehicle.

If it means we miss out on some drinks, we miss out on some drinks. Not a thing.

Expired drivers license will still count as an ID in Nevada. Expired just means you can't drive legally doesn't negate who you are. I know this because it was a question on the alcohol servers card for Nevada. I took the test so that I can tend bar at events here in Reno.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 am

jneilvindy wrote:
lucky420 wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:Nevada law only requires a person to give an officer their name if detained.
If arrested then you shouldn't be speaking to an officer without legal counsel present except to give your name.

Not birthdate. Not social security number and not any sort of ID.

Only if you are driving a licensed vehicle are you required to show proof that you are legally licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the USA and the police dodge there is they are not asking you for hard proof of your identity just hard proof that you can legally drive.

Event is on federal land so if you're stopped by an officer of BLM?

I didn't go google to verify it but I'd bet a whole dollar that Nevada has granted them LEO powers. I'd also doubt they ever really exercise that power. I'm sure it's why they make such a big deal of having local LEO's with them as they patrol BM.

A quick search didn't turn up any detain/identify laws for federal agents. Generally Federal agents only operate when there is a warrant. They don't do much detaining per say.

It's mostly stuff aimed at land management the BLM is gonna go all detain on. Drilling a well on federal land, or shooting protected animals. That kinda direct in their face violation. Be smoking a joint on federal lands? They are more likely to call the local sheriff, report you and have him come deal with you.

Really it's a muddled area that the federal government and state both dance around. Generally when a federal agent comes calling on official business he's got a judge behind him who already knows way more about you than you do!

No the BLM is not granted powers by the state of Nevada to arrest. They are federal officers and as such already have their own. Most of the land in Nevada (85-87% ) is in fact owned by the Feds.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby VultureChow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:38 am

Luck, good to know. I literally just found one of my expired cards last night, so that's going into my disgruntled badge holder and the valid one will stay locked up in my car.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Maizie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 am

Awesome, Lucky! Thank you for confirming.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm

I got myself microchipped.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I got myself microchipped.

I'm not going to fetch you, if you end up in the pound
unjonharley

Postby Mojojita » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:35 pm

What does happen if you are stopped by any of the various LEOs on the playa and they really feel the need to identify you is that they will go back to your camp with you so that you can produce your ID. Hopefully here is nothing in your tent/car when you are fetching your ID that will draw their additional interest. Really - carry some ID. I have in years past had all the youngsters in my camp keep their original IDs in my RV, which remains free of anything that could cause a problem.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby TT120 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:37 pm

You should never bring LEO's back to your camp.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby skippy3k » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 am

TT120 wrote:You should never bring LEO's back to your camp.

Shit. My wife is a leo. I'm a cancer, so we do tend to get along, but I don't know how she will take the news that she can't come back to camp with me.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Postby geospyder » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 am

skippy3k wrote:
TT120 wrote:You should never bring LEO's back to your camp.

Shit. My wife is a leo. I'm a cancer, so we do tend to get along, but I don't know how she will take the news that she can't come back to camp with me.

+1 :D
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Martiansky » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 pm

+2 :lol: :lol:

BWA HAHAHA! Too funny!!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby snakepictures » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:59 pm

lucky420 wrote:
No the BLM is not granted powers by the state of Nevada to arrest. They are federal officers and as such already have their own. Most of the land in Nevada (85-87% ) is in fact owned by the Feds.

The federal government has MILD police powers: they can exercise them on (M)ilitary bases, (I)ndian reservations, federal (L)and, and (D)C. Anything else is a Tenth Amendment wasteland.

The BLM specifically has arrest and enforcement powers under the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976. You might be surprised how many alphabet agencies can arrest you.

Disclaimer: I am not licensed in the state of Nevada, and I am going to BM for the first time in large part to forget I am a lawyer for a week. Please refrain from getting unfairly hassled by police in such a manner that ethically compels me to stand up for your rights.

Obligatory 1st post gratitude: Thank you all for participating in this forum. I'm going solo and everything I've read here has helped out my preparation immensely.
snakepictures

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Thecatman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:39 am

If you are stopped and the officer asks "Do you know why I stopped you/pulled you over/questioning you?" Don't admit why. If you do you just made a self incriminating statement that will be used against you which is a violation of your constitutional rights.
The 5th amendment protects you from making a self incriminating statement
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Previous

Return to Clothing & Playawear