Carrying Identification

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Carrying Identification

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:07 am

There are no dumb questions, just dumb responses... Maybe the dumbest ones are the people trying to make others feel dumb for asking questions... :lol:

Valid question. What are some clever ways other burners have thought to have I.d. On playa? Taking into consideration factors that make playa life quite different than just like anywhere else.

My second year my girlfriend had both of our DL's in a home made pocket belt. Bad idea. The one pocket that fell off was the one...

I have a much more durable pocket belt that I wear with every outfit, night and day with a special pocket that is just for my DL. I like to have the real one with me in case I have to deal with the piggies, drink at a bar that wants to see a real ID, prove my identity, take a heli flight to Reno or even drive a car.
A-RockLeFrench

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby NikkiG » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:12 pm

A money belt...... I'm totally feeling the Jean-Luc Picard pic. A wallet makes sense, but if you are very paranoid, a money belt or a card holder around the neck and under your shirt might work too. :wink:
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
NikkiG

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Stag Camp

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:21 am

I have a vintage luggage (leather) tag.. I carry cars,house and mail key around my neck every day.. When I get into the van the key is right there.. As soon as I park the key is back on the snap.. Got tired of searching pocket for keys years ago.. So on the desert I will leave the house and mail key off.. Then add the luggage tag with ICE info the the lanyard.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Monkeystyle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:27 am

Some camps will not accept photo copied cards, as they are not legal id. Our camp doesn't for that same reason. Last week i went to the department of transportation and got an address change. Got my new photo id yesterday. So now the old one gets hole punched and put on a string around my neck on playa. Easy solution and cost me $10. If you havent moved lately just tell them you lost your old one.
Monkeystyle

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:07 pm

unjonharley wrote:This is one of the dumbest threads on this board.[...] It's a camping trip so don't be stupid and ruin it..

Maybe I'm stupid for rising to this bait, but uh, I wasn't asking if I should. I was asking what's a convenient way to do it for everyone. "I can't read so you're stupid". Get a life.
'Snark' is just another way of saying you're an asshole.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

Postby otakup0pe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:53 pm

I just keep my US State ID in a holster pocket by itself. Unless I lose my entire holster I'm not going to lose my ID. I do also keep a photocopy of my (non american) passport and work permit in case I run into unruly federal officers out there in the dust.
otakup0pe

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Krokodyle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 pm

TT120 wrote:Most people I saw had just made a color photocopy of their ID and taped it to their cup.

That's what I did and had no trouble. Granted, I didn't go to a TON of bars that would card me, nor do I look under 21, but it seemed enough for most purposes.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby tahiti_treat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:Got my new photo id yesterday. So now the old one gets hole punched and put on a string around my neck on playa. Easy solution and cost me $10. If you havent moved lately just tell them you lost your old one.

This is what I did this year. I actually HAD lost my card, so I got a new one... then I found the old one. Hole punch and instant playa ID.
tahiti_treat

Camp Name: NoTown

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:53 pm

I got a new drivers lic. this past year.. The DMV punched a hole in the old one.. The hole must mean it no good anymore.. Just saying
unjonharley

Postby rmc50 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:02 pm

There are times when a state issued ID card is required and a photocopy won't suffice. Driving an automobile is such a case.

I don't know if a photo copy would suffice for proving age at a bar. I believe that there is NOT a legal requirement that a bar check ID, there is only a legal requirement that they don't serve under age customers. It would then be the bar's policy at play if they will accept a copy or not.

There are other times when no ID is legally required at all. Which for most of us, will be most of the time on the playa. It is a good idea, however, to have some sort of ID with you just in case you take an unexpected trip to the hospital. For that purpose, I make color copies of my driver's license and health insurance cards, along with emergency contact info and anything that the emergency room doctors should know about you. A copy goes into every backpack that I am likely to carry and into the little bag attached to the bike.

Rod
rmc50

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm

The most resent JRS recommends carrying an ID this year.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Thecatman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:26 pm

As some have said about a photocopy and putting in a "luggage tag' etc.
Since the copied DL would a piece of paper and prone to damage, you could also have it laminated. Just another two cents.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:32 pm

I wear mine around my neck. I never lose it and it's a handy place for little bits of swag: stickers, patches, tattoos., business cards.

I just ordered this bad boy for this year. I had to have it: Image
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Ah, the disgruntled cousin of the sorting hat...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:19 pm

rmc50 wrote:There are times when a state issued ID card is required and a photocopy won't suffice. Driving an automobile is such a case.

I don't know if a photo copy would suffice for proving age at a bar. I believe that there is NOT a legal requirement that a bar check ID, there is only a legal requirement that they don't serve under age customers.

Very, very, very incorrect.

From last years survival guide:
Serving alcohol to minors is illegal. If your theme camp has a bar where alcoholic drinks are gifted, the person serving alcohol must check that any person being served is over 21. It is a State and local offense for anyone under 21 to consume alcoholic beverages or to pass themselves off as being of age. It is a violation of Pershing County law for minors to even possess alcoholic beverages.

Nevada law places the responsibility on the person serving alcohol to make sure the person is not a minor. If a minor has a good fake ID and lies about being of age, but the server does a reasonable check, the responsibility becomes the minors for lying. This becomes wishy-washy if the LEOs are testing bars (and they do - it's a hefty fine for them to collect), so go with your gut if someone seems underage. Having a blacklight at a bar is good as well - most modern IDs have something UV on them.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:03 pm

That's awesome VultureChow! :) Also around your neck is a super good idea.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby demeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:19 am

I lose things, sit things down, and otherwise generally don't keep track of my things.

I did, however, go to a college in Ireland that put ages on their photo IDs.

Would this suffice?
demeter

Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Postby asr9754 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 am

(We card at our bar happy hour and a college ID from a foreign country would arouse suspicion that it was a fake, just saying). No one here can speak to how the other bar camps will enforce IDs, but to be safe I'd have a backup plan.
asr9754

Postby TheFastCat » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:53 am

I just purchased a wrist wallet from here for $5 after shipping: http://goo.gl/mtn7sm
Maybe a double function as a sweat wipe? :)
TheFastCat

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 am

Don't forget to leave room for a credit card or two. No all Playa bars take cash.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby jneilvindy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:51 am

Nevada law only requires a person to give an officer their name if detained.
If arrested then you shouldn't be speaking to an officer without legal counsel present except to give your name.

Not birthdate. Not social security number and not any sort of ID.

Only if you are driving a licensed vehicle are you required to show proof that you are legally licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the USA and the police dodge there is they are not asking you for hard proof of your identity just hard proof that you can legally drive.
jneilvindy

Postby The_Sheik » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 am

KE5QOT
The_Sheik

Camp Name: ESD sub-Camp 3 "The 'Burbs"

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Good flowchart TexasRick.

For Nevada ...

NRS 171.123  Temporary detention by peace officer of person suspected of criminal behavior or of violating conditions of parole or probation: Limitations.
1.  Any peace officer may detain any person whom the officer encounters under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime.
2.  Any peace officer may detain any person the officer encounters under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the person has violated or is violating the conditions of the person’s parole or probation.
3.  The officer may detain the person pursuant to this section only to ascertain the person’s identity and the suspicious circumstances surrounding the person’s presence abroad. Any person so detained shall identify himself or herself, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of any peace officer.
4.  A person must not be detained longer than is reasonably necessary to effect the purposes of this section, and in no event longer than 60 minutes. The detention must not extend beyond the place or the immediate vicinity of the place where the detention was first effected, unless the person is arrested.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby lucky420 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm

jneilvindy wrote:Nevada law only requires a person to give an officer their name if detained.
If arrested then you shouldn't be speaking to an officer without legal counsel present except to give your name.

Only if you are driving a licensed vehicle are you required to show proof that you are legally licensed to operate a motor vehicle in the USA and the police dodge there is they are not asking you for hard proof of your identity just hard proof that you can legally drive.

Event is on federal land so if you're stopped by an officer of BLM?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby PurpleKoosh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:Some camps will not accept photo copied cards, as they are not legal id. Our camp doesn't for that same reason. Last week i went to the department of transportation and got an address change. Got my new photo id yesterday. So now the old one gets hole punched and put on a string around my neck on playa. Easy solution and cost me $10. If you havent moved lately just tell them you lost your old one.

Expired licenses don't count as legal ID, either, in many states. Doesn't mean I don't still wear it on my lanyard with all my other swag. (The legal one stays locked in the truck.)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby jneilvindy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:01 pm

lucky420 wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:Nevada law only requires a person to give an officer their name if detained.

Event is on federal land so if you're stopped by an officer of BLM?

I didn't go google to verify it but I'd bet a whole dollar that Nevada has granted them LEO powers. I'd also doubt they ever really exercise that power. I'm sure it's why they make such a big deal of having local LEO's with them as they patrol BM.

A quick search didn't turn up any detain/identify laws for federal agents. Generally Federal agents only operate when there is a warrant. They don't do much detaining per say.

It's mostly stuff aimed at land management the BLM is gonna go all detain on. Drilling a well on federal land, or shooting protected animals. That kinda direct in their face violation. Be smoking a joint on federal lands? They are more likely to call the local sheriff, report you and have him come deal with you.

Really it's a muddled area that the federal government and state both dance around. Generally when a federal agent comes calling on official business he's got a judge behind him who already knows way more about you than you do!
jneilvindy

Postby unjonharley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:12 pm

BLM Rangers work the same as any other cop at Burning man.. Some one is watching to much TV..Also on the playa you could find FBI or any one of the federal alphabet soup...
unjonharley

Postby Maizie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:16 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:
Monkeystyle wrote:Some camps will not accept photo copied cards, as they are not legal id. Our camp doesn't for that same reason. Last week i went to the department of transportation and got an address change. Got my new photo id yesterday. So now the old one gets hole punched and put on a string around my neck on playa. Easy solution and cost me $10. If you havent moved lately just tell them you lost your old one.

Expired licenses don't count as legal ID, either, in many states. Doesn't mean I don't still wear it on my lanyard with all my other swag. (The legal one stays locked in the truck.)

This was my plan as well - we've both got expired photo licenses, and the legal ones can stay in the vehicle.

If it means we miss out on some drinks, we miss out on some drinks. Not a thing.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Postby jneilvindy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:BLM Rangers work the same as any other cop at Burning man.. Some one is watching to much TV..Also on the playa you could find FBI or any one of the federal alphabet soup...

Which brings us back to the question...no you are not required to carry ID or to show it to law enforcement on demand as long as you are not operating a licensed motor vehicle!
jneilvindy

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Yeah, stay calm...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear