Carrying Identification

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Carrying Identification

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:49 pm

So, this is a shitty topic (I find, personally, anyway, your mileage may vary). Its sort of a defaultia bummer to have to carry your drivers license, but I know with LEO everywhere, it's just a fact of life now.

So, does anyone have a clever way to carry their ID that doesn't ruin their outfit, doesn't allow much possibility of losing the card, and still makes it convenient to retrieve when in need of another one of wtf ever slutgarden is serving?

I was thinking maybe one of those arm bands or necklaces that LE uses, but I don't necessarily want it on display all the time, and carrying shit around my neck is kind of a crappy solution. Last year I wound up with scabs on my neck from all the various paraphernalia I wound up carrying.

What worked for you?
We wouldn't want to alarm the flock, they might start asking questions.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Carrying Identification

Postby TT120 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Most people I saw had just made a color photocopy of their ID and taped it to their cup.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:55 pm

hole punch, caribeener, clip to whatever you got (backpack, belt, pant belt loop, etc)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:06 pm

lucky420 wrote:hole punch, caribeener, clip to whatever you got (backpack, belt, pant belt loop, etc)

You want me to punch a hole in my drivers license? Thanks but uh...
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:08 pm

TT120 wrote:Most people I saw had just made a color photocopy of their ID and taped it to their cup.

That's a great idear, but is a color photocopy good enough? I'll make m'self one right now if so, but I know I can't get into a bar with one, So I kinda think LEO on the playa wouldn't be cool with that either.
melodiousdirge

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm

All these kids with their crazy tats yet not a one that will actually do any good. I have my SS# tattooed over my heart along with "Do Not Resuscitate". It was cheaper than getting that Medi-helicopter insurance. I personally wear my age on my face, but the youngsters I saw last year, as said above, had color photocopies made of their IDs taped to their cups. I had a copy made of my ID also left in my glovebox in case something happened to me, along with copies from my camp-mate. I have no idea if the copy works with the Law Enforcement, or if the original being somewhere back in camp is an invite for them. If you carry the original, I'd suggest a lanyard and attached plastic sleeve w/ punchhole. Or just wait until you are alittle older to attend.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby asr9754 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Lots of suggestions elsewhere on the forum,
I like the ID taped to the drinking vessel, if you get a large enough cup or mason jar it works fine, or zip-tied to the cup handle, so the drinking tools (ID and cup) are always together. If you have an old copy of ID you can punch a hole in it just fine. Or put the ID in a clear badge holder, tape it closed, and clip the badge holder to a belt loop.

https://www.google.com/search?q=name+ba ... CAkQ_AUoAg
asr9754

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Or just wait until you are alittle older to attend.

Seems like a reasonable solution.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:54 pm

asr9754 wrote:Lots of suggestions elsewhere on the forum,
I like the ID taped to the drinking vessel, if you get a large enough cup or mason jar it works fine, or zip-tied to the cup handle, so the drinking tools (ID and cup) are always together. If you have an old copy of ID you can punch a hole in it just fine. Or put the ID in a clear badge holder, tape it closed, and clip the badge holder to a belt loop.

I like the sleeve attached to cup idea, though a cup is still distressingly lose-able. Perhaps the color photocopy on the drinking vessel with the original on my person somewhere that's more secure but less accessible. Seems like a good compromise.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:55 pm

asr9754 wrote:https://www.google.com/search?q=name+badge+holder&biw=912&bih=663&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IqagU_GQAsifyATC4YCgCA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg

Thank you for your feedback, but I'm aware of the plastic ID sleeves you can buy and hang around your neck (I think I mentioned them in the OP). I did look on google and I found a lot of dorky, inconvenient, uncomfortable, etc. solutions and I was looking for something clever that maybe I hadn't thought of.
melodiousdirge

Postby maladroit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Most DMVs will let you get a non-driver ID. I don't know if that would somehow not be allowed if you already had a license, I don't see why. You could get an ID card made, punch a hole or whatever, and leave your real license in safety.
maladroit

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 pm

I carry a state ID (not drivers license) in a pouch on my belt. Not visible (so it blends with what I'm wearing), it's in it's own pouch so it's safe, it only would ever get pulled out if needed.

I'll be 50 by the time I hit the dust this year, and have never been carded out there, but I still carry an ID because it's my responsibility to prove I'm legal, and a camp/ LEO can ask anyone to prove it. That said, be aware that the photocopies taped to cups are not legal IDs, and if a camp won't serve you because that's all you have it's your responsibility to move on or bring a better ID. All it takes is one "get tough" LEO to decide that the taped copy isn't good enough to give a bar a fine.

YMMV.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Eric wrote:I carry a state ID (not drivers license) in a pouch on my belt. Not visible (so it blends with what I'm wearing), it's in it's own pouch so it's safe, it only would ever get pulled out if needed.

This is more or less what I did last year. I am a bit scatterbrained at the best of times however and there were many moments of "wait, where the hell did I put my license!?". If I had one garment I wore all the time it would probably be easier but I wind up changing out fairly frequently.

Eric wrote:I'll be 50 by the time I hit the dust this year, and have never been carded out there, but I still carry an ID because it's my responsibility to prove I'm legal, and a camp/ LEO can ask anyone to prove it.

I'm 34 and I've only been carded a few times out there, but last year I noticed a marked step-up in the ID requests. It's a real bummer to be without.

Eric wrote:That said, be aware that the photocopies taped to cups are not legal IDs, and if a camp won't serve you because that's all you have it's your responsibility to move on or bring a better ID. All it takes is one "get tough" LEO to decide that the taped copy isn't good enough to give a bar a fine.

Sort of what I was thinking. I actually just made some laminated color photo copies to tape to my drinking cup, cuz it sounds hella convenient, but as you say, it's technically not a legal ID.
melodiousdirge

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I have mine in my wallet in my pocket, just like everywhere else.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby Raoul » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:21 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Thank you for your feedback, but I'm aware of the plastic ID sleeves you can buy and hang around your neck (I think I mentioned them in the OP). I did look on google and I found a lot of dorky, inconvenient, uncomfortable, etc. solutions and I was looking for something clever that maybe I hadn't thought of.

:idea: Combine this with the hole punch, carabiner combo. Find a plastic sleeve (or a luggage tag, etc.) that is a little larger than your license and punch a hold in the sleeve. Put the hole in a spot where it will keep you license from falling out of the sleeve. Presto!
"In wisdom gathered over time, I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." --Ansel Adams
Raoul

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Jackass » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 pm

There's plenty of threads in this forum just bursting with these answers, this dead horse gets beat at least twice every year... (merge?)
Just sayin
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Jackass wrote:There's plenty of threads in this forum just bursting with these answers, this dead horse gets beat at least twice every year... (merge?)
Just sayin

I did a search. Sorry if it's an old horse. At least it's not a question about feathers I guess.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I have mine in my wallet in my pocket, just like everywhere else.

melodiousdirge

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:05 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:
Jackass wrote:There's plenty of threads in this forum just bursting with these answers, this dead horse gets beat at least twice every year... (merge?)
Just sayin

I did a search. Sorry if it's an old horse. At least it's not a question about feathers I guess.

And there you have the answer, attach your ID to a feather, 'cause everyone knows that no one loses any of those out on the playa.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:25 pm

take the photocopied one, punch a hole in it, attach it to a caribeener, etc orrrrrrrr

get a plastic badge sleeve, punch a hole in it, attach it to a......
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:27 pm

sorry Pozer, just saw your post. Didnt feel like reading the whole shebang before I posted...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Christian The Jew » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:57 am

Do you even have to carry an ID around the playa? I mean I understand for drinks and maybe some adult drugs. But if an officer stops me for some reason am I bound by law to carry an ID even if I'm not driving a car?

"Papier! Papier!"
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6
Christian The Jew

Postby chuckularone » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 am

I don't know about Nevada, but here in Delaware even if you are carrying it you don't have to show your ID to the police unless they arrest you first.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE
chuckularone

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 am

This is one of the dumbest threads on this board.. After reading the back of your ticket? The playa is a danger to life and limb.. You carry ID 24-7 in the real world..
If the police are looking for someone and ask you to ID yourself be ready to produce.. Or be held until.. The law has a right to ID you..

It's going to mess up my costume :roll:

It my way to burn :roll:

You my think so, BUT The playa is the real world..

It's a camping trip so don't be stupid and ruin it..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Schtev » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I've gone to three burns using a photocopy of my ID for bars. No issues yet. Bring a few copies in case one gets damaged or lost.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Christian The Jew wrote:Do you even have to carry an ID around the playa? I mean I understand for drinks and maybe some adult drugs.

The only "adult drugs" allowed on the playa are drinks and tobacco. Anything else can get you arrested or fined, or both (and the fines are huge - some up to or over $1000). It's known on the playa as "the stupid tax" - ie: someone was stupid enough to think they could do something visibly on the playa even though it's illegal (Federal laws and Nevada law both are in full force in BRC). Don't be stupid - there are more LEOs per capita than in pretty much any other major city in the country. A quick search of the ePlaya will cover this subject thoroughly.

You don't "have" to carry ID, but if you get into an accident it's not a bad idea to have it - especially if you need to get medevac'd to Reno (also carry your ticket stub - you can't get back in the Gate without it, even if you were sent to a Reno hospital).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Lonesomebri wrote: I have my SS# tattooed over my heart along with "Do Not Resuscitate".

Hey, how come you never talk about the number on your arm?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:45 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Image

Kind of how I felt when I read the topic post of this thread.

I just find it hard to believe that your outfit is so specialized that you can't find a pocket/pouch or something on it somewhere that will hold a folded up, photocopied piece of paper or a laminated card.

Or wait... are you a shirt cocker?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Travel stores have all manner of passport-size solutions. As mentioned Etsy will have arm and leg license-size. There are also quite a few utility belt, festival belt-type threads.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby otakup0pe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:16 am

BBadger wrote:Or wait... are you a shirt cocker?

There is at least one place they could keep a rolled up photocopy.
otakup0pe

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear